MTG Modern General

Dominaria leak: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

Damping Sphere 2
Artifact
If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount. Each spell a player casts costs more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.

Tron btfo

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/DOM_Release_Notes/EN_MTGDOM_ReleaseNotes.docx
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-zoo-fnm-1/?cb=1520566487
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.
Guess it's time to sell out of modern and just go full on into EDH.

Oh no, that'll kill tron lands!!!

>Damping Sphere 2
>Artifact
not a big deal for gx tron, but it really sucks for eldrazi tron. the only answer is ratchet bomb. im hoping for a colorless exile artifact effect desu

media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/DOM_Release_Notes/EN_MTGDOM_ReleaseNotes.docx

Holy fuuuuuck the spoilers

>knight tribal
>wizard """tribal"""
>spells that are fucking powerful and unique (W instant: +1/+1 anthem, bolt variant that requires a wizard like snap/lavaman/delver/clique)
>W 2/1 weenie with psudo-Mom ability
>MOX FUCKING AMBER

>Intentionally strong set
I've missed you so much. I'm gonna draft a lot

>LEGENDARY SORCERY
>CAN'T CAST UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEGEND!!!

Holy fuck man, these fucking Commander players have their rules leaking into the main game now.

The fucking Isamaru and Kytheon buffs are INSANE

Posted about this in the last thread but I still can't get over how Jace did fuck all and there's a guy I know who spent $700 on a set. I can't imagine buying into a meme this hard.

>I still can't get over how Jace did fuck all

No, he fucked Vraska

The second half of it is going to be decent for slowing down any hate - Tron won't be able to just drop and crack a Star into nature's claim turn 2 to kill this.
Considering it's 2cmc colorless sideboard hate for 2 both Storm and Tron, I can see this punting Gx tron back down to tier 2 status.

>Each spell a player casts costs more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.
RIP in pepperonis burn

This. Mox Amber is going into a white weenie deck easily.

It's going into Captain Sisay EDH decks instantly like Opal.

Tbh there's so much other good shit, realllly good shit here, that idgaf about the historic bullshit or legendary spells (plus is right you can always cheat it with Kyth and Isa)

The fucking 2cmc Relentless Rat. The fucking support for each shitty janky meme archtype you could imagine
Precog Field is also the dopest shit I've read all day, I was just fucking about with U/G turbomemes and this card is basically Omniscience

There's so much to digest here it's insane. Goblin Warchief, a 1cmc artifact that gains 3 life on etb because why not, fuck you burn, we eggs now.
Damn this set is cool

UU for a 2/2 flash merfolk that taps down a thing, extra Harbinger is always dope

So is Lichs mastery into Approach the new standard deck to beat?

>shitty mom W 2/1 that sacs to save
>"OMG DnT is gonna be great :DD"
>has to choose the target as etb

fuck off. T1 shitty mom sucks

Is it possible to that Karn’s Temporal Sundering would be a new inclusion for Mono U Walks?

The best card is Voltalic Construct

Just untap those Mana Vaults and other big mana garbage.

Steel Leaf Champion
GGG
Creature — Elf Knight
5/4
Steel Leaf Champion can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.

Mono Green stompy looking slightly better off. Replaces Leatherback Baloth

Why does WOTC always fucking leak this stuff and then act like it was an accident... I mean jesus this ALWAYS happens and they just play dumb every time.

what do they win with spoilers like this?

Ahahahaha lmao at your card evaluation
>not turn 1 vial, turn 2 creature+1dropvial
jk I can see your argument, obviously not a Mom but a Mom-variant. 2/1 is strong man, Weenie decks jamming turn 1 Kytheon + NuMum is literally exactly what that shitty meme archtype needed to be viable, and I can't wait to jam 40 1drops 16 lands and 4 opals. fuck why not add red for Zurgo (poor 2/1 Norin, but i'm sure there's a sisters meme-opal home for him too though)

In Taxes I would jam some, it seems stronk. Dat Flickerwisp tech too. In weenies I would jam 4

Damping sphere seems low-key like one of the best cards they've printed in years.

Beats me. This one isn't even good, it just gives every card away at once. Very little mystery. If they wanted to make it fun they'd release a few blurry photos of the card sheets so we could spend a few weeks guessing what ever card will be. That's interesting at least. This is just a big letdown, even if the set ends up being okay.

Tron is finally dead ahahahahha I love it. Good riddance. Damping Sphere will be in the sideboard of every deck this coming Modern tour.

i can't see how they can win anything with this. it is a big loss if anything, killing hype and surprise effects. doubt they would do this on purpose.

I'd agree with you if this was a one time thing... but they've done it so many times in the past, most recently with Ixalan. There's no way a company as big as WOTC could be this incompetent - they're clearly doing this on purpose.

idk man, i think it must be really hard to keep chinamen quiet about stuff, even with NDA's.

Just read through the entire spoilers list... and damn, Richard Garfield's done it again. Haven't been this excited for a set in years. The power level seems viable for modern, the flavor is great, and it just overall feels like a breath of fresh air into the game. A much needed set. WOTC has, for the first time since Khans, outdone themselves.

>low key

As soon as I saw it I suspected it to be the next chalice or blood moon

People be sleeping on this but think about all the decks that cast more than one deck a turn, it's a multiple time walk vs all of them. Completely shuts off early game bullshit like snapcaster or cantrip into an answer. Can dump your hand with affinity or some other shit then drop this and lock opponent out for 2+ turns from doing anything but cast one spell

This is pretty autistic, but was anyone else pleasantly surprised by the names of these cards?

>Blink of an Eye
>Bloodstone Goblin
>Charge
>Curator's Wand
>Dark Bargain

These all sounds like classic Magic cards. Nothing nu age like "Kinjalli’s Sunwing" or "Pious Interdiction"

I personally like
Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
1UR
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
2/2
Flying, haste
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Wizards you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

and you play it with those prowess dudes and you're getting +2/+2 a cast. Throw in some bolts and unsummons or something, and you're swinging in 5/5's or 6/6's

so how are the leaks? how is dominaria?

God damn this set is basically Legend Part 2: Electric Boogaloo. I'm all for it. This many new legendary creatures may seriously shakeup modern.

Surprisingly good so far. A lot more new stuff in terms of mechanics, though Kicker is back. Flavor seems good, a lot of references to Urza, Phyrexians, etc. Huge focus on legendary creatures in this set. A new mox for casting legendary creatures is here.

So is burn gonna up and die now or will it be okay because of Revelry? :^(

I wouldn't go that far man. I'm I agree the set is dope but some stuff reeks of NuMagic and clearly the story department dipped their hands in the pie a bit much (historics, border, planeswalkers, story spotlight, basically the 2017meme trend is like, 20% here; the other 80% is dope classic reprints for Modern, really sweet niche cards that add greatness to the sum of the cards surrounding it, and metahate cards

Burn is burn. Dredge doesnt die even with the gorillion artifact hate out there, they still have to have the orb. Orb is good because it does collateral damage to other problematic matchups while maximizing SB space. It fucks over Tron, Storm, Elves, Burn among other things.

>artifact
Graveyard I mean

Also orb also makes snapcaster worse, cantrips in general too

user I'm poorI had to save up for a year to afford burn:^(

I'd say it's about as good as we can ask for in a nu magic set. Looks like it while have decent value and may even be fun

Burn is high tier ever modern's inception dont worry. You really can't bust kneecaps off an aggresive and general strategy like burn outside of Leyline

What the fuck is mom? Mother of runes?

Thank you user I needed that.

I'M NOT ASKING YOU TO STOP JUST SLOW THE FUCK DOWN sphere is going straight into a few of my EDH decks

>The Flame of Kerd
I want to use that

yes?

Just realized, zero mention of masterpieces in this set... I'll be super disappointed if they don't have any. I think we all want that throwback border with foiling.

Oh I love it! Elf is a strong tribe too, and Knight has at least some support. Way more flexible than Beast, really.

This set is MADE for EDH players. Wizard knows we're the future with our decks now. Love it. Suck ass dead formats, EDH is where it's at.

Yeah mono green stompy getting more tools like this is welcome. Baloth may be big but it always get chumped to make any difference. If anything it just adds +3/+3 to Aspect of Hydra. This one tacks 1 more power and can't be chumped by small guys

STOP HAVING FUN

I NEED MY TURN 2 KILLS IN MODERN

You're right. Maybe the artworks will be old school as well.

Multi format staple. EDH, Modern, legacy, and vintage. This card is gonna be insanely sought after. If this is a rare, then they literally just made up for the A25 heap of shit.

>new karn is actually garbage

heh who would've thought

Good, Karn Liberated is fucking dumb and a mistake

>t. blue mage player at heart

I haven't looked over this yet. Are there at least a few pirates? Because I want to do Pirate EDH but I don't really feel like there are enough good pirates at this point. There are just *barely* enough good pirates for only a *decent* standard deck.

Blue is literally shit in modern

More like Elves player. Fuck Tron in general.

>storm
>GDS

Blue is fine. You're mistaking it for White

Is he good? Probably not. But I do love colorless decks in any format, so maybe between karn and the Historic card type that cares about artifacts I'll create some mediocre tier 3 standard deck.

GDS is more black than blue though.

so... storm is dead? fuck, I just wasted 150€ on a tier 1 deck that just became tier 4

ahn tier1? when was the last time storm placed?

also,
>thinking wotc will let a cheap "tier1" deck live for long
kek

Dredge is a cheap tier 1 deck

Torpor orb didn't kill Twin, so Storm won't be dead. It will take a bigger hit because of Storm's linearity, but a sideboard card is a sideboard card.

Storm had 50% of its initial pieces banned and it still managed to live on crutches for it to be tier 1.

ain't gonna be in any burn or storm sideboard, that's for damn sure

Alright, tomorrow is my first Modern FNM. Here is what I was planning on bringing: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-zoo-fnm-1/?cb=1520566487

As somebody who has only played Modern casually, I’m mostly worried about match-ups. I’ve played Grixis Delver, Merfolk, and Valakut/Scapeshift. But I know at the very least there is going to be Hollow One and Some version of Tron that going to be there as well.

What should my sideboard choices be for common Modern Matchups?

Ghitu Lavarunner
R
Creature — Human Wizard
1/2
As long as there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, Ghitu Lavarunner gets +1/+0 and has haste.

hot damn

>If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount
S H O P S

>low-key
it's explicit existance is to shit on storm and tron, so of course it's good

Damping Sphere is about as effective as Blood Moon against Tron, meaning it's not as good as you might think. Sometimes they just keep playing lands and crack Ostone because you kept a hand with Damping Sphere in hoping the Tron player would scoop to it or something.

>old karn: big beefy, impactful exiles
>new karn: small wuss, painfully stupid card draw
I know old karn was too strong, but what the hell?

>mfw they unban eye of ugin

I tried to make a shitty jank ass artifact midrange brew, rate it please, I just don’t think it works without a sol land like eldrazi get desu, deck feels like shit
4 Dark steel citadel
19 island
2 tezzeret agent of bolas
2 night karn
4 etched champion
4 master of atherium
3 spellskite
Batterskull
4 galvanic blast
3 Inquisition
3 collective brutality
2 terminate
4 Phyrexian metamorph
3x Relic of progenitus
2x hangarback walker

Islands are just lands, yeah it sucks ass I know, wanted Mishra in there but he sucks, you really just can’t play stompy in modern without a sol land like eldrazi gets

So shitty guide?

It doesn't even hurt tron that much. Its just a worse blood moon. It really fucks over decks like storm or amulet titan though.

I mean it seems like kind of on par with blood moon, doesn’t shut down their colored stuff but it comes out a turn earloer

Aggro decks wont use this card ever and control decks will still get tronned out even if they have a turn two answer. It helps BGx since they don't have to run blood moon any more, but even then, wasting turn 2 where they can just thot-knot seer or thragtusk seems terrible especially considering it also slows down the user of it.

I'd call it "late to the party guide"

Wizard's Lightning
2R
Instant
This spell costs 2 less to cast if you control a Wizard.
Wizard's Lightning deals 3 damage to any target

So shitty bolt?

>Print a bunch of shitty tribal cards that are strictly worse versions of existing non-broken spells in Ixalan
>Nobody plays or even likes them
>Get to Dominaria
>"Hey guys lets print some more of those cards they were a big hit"

it's regular bolt when you play shitty guide

Is counterspell too good for modern?

He's slowly losing his mind to the phyrexian oil.

And uzumea looks pretty promising

yes, UU is too good for hard counter, it has to be (1)XU or more cmc

set looks fun as hell. wizards retort as a 'fixed' counterspell is as close as you'll ever get to the real thing in this format.

nah, I don't know why wizards is scared shitless of printing it again
it'd be fine even in standard

Logic knot exists and the best counter spell

Shanna, Sisay's Legacy
GW
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
0/0
Shanna, Sisay's Legacy can't be the target of abilities your opponents control.
Shanna gets +1/+1 for each creature you control.

Will she see play in Humans (maybe in conjunction with Amber Mox?)

>maybe in conjunction with Amber Mox
nah
only other legendary creature is Thalia, not enough enablers

I think a ur prowess deck can work now

>Jaya Ballard

How

is this the full spoiler? no right?

only for new mechanics