Dominaria Leak Thread #2

The Dominaria Release Notes were leaked in China, which has the mechanics and majority of the rares/mythics in the set. Wizards has since posted a translated version.

Release Notes: pastebin.com/BXFX3fpU

Wizard's Response:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

Also a bunch of templating changes.

Seems like the best set in years desu. Shame about it being a 1 set block

Play Design and Garfield delivering the crazyness

This was my first reaction. Garfield then core. Hell, it'll be fun for at least half a year at least.

Might just buy my first box.

>second set of check lands in
>all duals with basic types rotate out at once
So which basic type duals are in M19? I'm really hoping for enemy color shocks.

>Squee 1RR
>You may cast Squee from exile or your graveyard.

Are there any cards/comboes where both of those effects are relevant? Food Chain only uses the exile part, some sac loop would only use the GY.

Return to Return to Ravnica is in pipeline very soon. Dont know when. So shocks.

The story indicates that Ravanica will be featured soon. So shocks there. I want fetches.

Ohh bb, INN-RTR 3 color nonsense standard was some good fun.

None that I know of. You can theoretically double up his sacrifice potential by saccing him for say mana, exiling him to pay for some cost like a Skaab and then casting him again, but that's not very efficient and kind of pointless. Fun though.

>equip legendary creature
Why couldn't it just be "equip legendary"?

Well, most things that would shut down sac loops do so by exiling things that would go to the yard, so, arguably, he has protection on that front

>Legendary characters new and old have risen to prominence across the plane. In every Dominaria booster pack, you'll find at least one legendary creature.

Looks like they're using pack seeding a bit more aggressively going forward.

I guess it could've been, but with the amount of legendary noncreatures in this set, I can see a reason for their decision to avoid it.

Gossips earlier this month were about Ravnica being the fall expansion. If Ravnica bring shocks, fetches on the same environment would be unlikely. My bet for Core 2019 land cycle are allied painlands.

>the minotaur cleric
Would it have killed them to throw on the last part of Soulfire Grand Master?

It probably could have if they needed to save space. But it's on its own line anyway, so they may as well just spell it out.

Could they have the same card on both the "seed" sheet AND the regular sheet? Like if they wanted to do "At least one artifact per pack", could they put all the artifact cards on a seed sheet, and then also have them on the regular sheets as normal?

Oh yeah, Fetches and Shocks won't happen unless we get a surprise blood moon I guess. Just saying, I want enemy fetches. Scalding tarns at 70$ is insulting.

>{T}: add one mana of any color.

wait shit yeah, how is this gonna look?

How long until (one mana of any color) becomes a rainbow mana symbol?

At this rate, Core 2019.

Exactly like that. "Add one mana of any color".

>no path to exile in the set
I am actually amazed

is there some 1 or 2 mana exile target creature effect in the set?
if not is there some 1 or 2 mana card that says exile target hazoret the fervent?
if not standard is dead for another set

I'm wondering why that haven't done this sooner. Simplifying card text while making it more intuitive is always a good idea. I like "they" referencing players and "any target" as well.

So, the cards in this document are all real? I like Wizard's Lightning, since I've wanted wizard tribal for a long time.

That Jhoria...is a little disappointing. I guess it's TECHNICALLY a U/R artifact legend, but I was hoping for something that did something more than cantrip off artifacts.

The minotaur legends are cool! A boros legend that's kind of not combat focused, I'm sure EDHg will be happy.

Happy to see the check lands getting reprinted (with new art too, kinda cool). Can we please finish the 3 new cycles though? I'd love to have cheap cycling dual lands for my casual decks. Or the tango lands.

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
3W
Legendary Creature — Bird Cleric
2/2
Flying
Whenever you cast a historic spell, return target creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

Is this modern playable? Play a bunch of cheap artifacts, be able to recur most of the relevant modern creatures?

Goddamnit I need cheap foil Hazorets for Modern spice and they don't rotate till forever and now they're gonna spike

I really dig Wizards Lightning, too. Quick reminder to my Brun bros out there, Grim Lavamancer is a Wizard.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goblin Tribal supplant Hazored with Goblin Chieftrain and Siege-Gang Commander in the set.

No, because 4CC, only triggers off rare and potentially shitty spells, and has worse targets than BBE. The only time it's good is win more.

There's this:

Seal Away
1W
Enchantment
Flash
When Seal Away enters the battlefield, exile target tapped creature an opponent controls until Seal Away leaves the battlefield.

So snapcasters gonna break 100 because of all this wizard shit right?

I was betting on the second half of the BfZ land cycle being in Dominaria and serving as the fetchable duals of this coming rotation, since that would've replaced the post-origins trend of all of those being ally colored. Guess that's out of the window for now, though.

Look at lightning bolts original wording

Don't underestimate that effect. I run a Reki EDH deck and people always underestimate that effect. Jhoira is INSANE.

I really respect Wizard for handling this the way they are

Sounds appropriate for standard powerlevel. Still shit though.

That kind of stuff will never come back.

>goblins replacing a 5/4 haste indestructible that pings for a minimum of 2 every single turn in mono red agro/burn

highly doubtful if anything red will just adopt goblins into a hazoret deck

not nearly good enough
Hazoret can just sit back and ping for 2 every turn while you attack with less impactful creatures standard is still dead. no good removal to answer insane threats
people already play this way with Hazoret and TSG since losing them to Settle the Wreckage is a very real thing and just leaving them untapped and never attacking with them still leaves you will a very powerful and valuable resource

no cheap and efficient answer card means standard still suffers and will be solved by a mono red deck in 1 or 2 weeks

very sad

>rainbow
Gold is the color of "any color" in magic.

In the future we will have Gold mana.

Look, it takes care of the problem they're complaining about, doesn't it?

It's not unlikely that these being put out that early is deliberate to dampen people's frothing rage over A25.

What? There are so many ways to deal with Hazoret. Stop being bad at magic.

>A boros legend that's kind of not combat focused,
Impossible. This must be an illusion.

Better than Baffling End.

I honestly think it'll be probably be okay (Sram isn't bad and he does practically the same thing in worse colors) but it is a little bland. I still might run it though.

That is a good combo. I'm just happy because wizards are one of my favorite creature types thematically but they don't really have a very cohesive "tribe identity". I thought that they might sneak wizard tribal in here (because of the August Commander Deck and Ixalan's tribal sub theme) and I'm glad I was right, hopefully they give us some cool shit out of it. Wizards deserve it.

I haven't been as hyped for a set since Time Spiral. Probably because this really feels like Time Spiral meets Kamigawa

what way do you have to deal with hazoret that does so at a mana efficient rate?

I will wait

Baffling End only hits small dudes but it makes them go away forever. Enchantment removal isn't worth using on it.

>legends 2.0
Shit, I may actually buy some of this.

Seal Away, for one.

Look, if you aren't cumming from the idea of casting moxes, you're underestimating this shit. You can fucking sandbag your Sol Ring and shit and just fucking go insane turn 5.

Vampires having perfect mana will kill Hazored. That shit's reaching 30+ life totals turn 4 consistently and only really loses to Drake Haven and it's own bad mana.

I sont know why people are so excited about this. Its not technically "combst focused", but its certainly worse than a lot of commanders who are. Who gives a fuck if you get to bolt something every time you cast a healing spell in commander for 6 mana? Or turning burn spells into lightning helixes in commander?

Any number of exile spells? Counters? Just ignore her and go over the top? Life gain? Tokens? Wrath their board and just attack around her?

Monored is losing ground, mostly to the UB decks.

It's probably just Tamanoa players happy to play their deck under official rulings.

They wont make gold represent any color of mana. They wouldnt even give devoid cards color indicators because they didnt think grey evoked colorlessness enough, which is why ended up with devoid and just spelling it out.

So they can supplant the frothing rage of a week from now to get the frothing rage of a month from now over with? Before year's end? They didn't leak shit. It would be insanity to leak shit. This was a mistake like any other.

If anything at all its net detrimental. Now that people have the option to make one spending decision over another they just might let A25 rot on the shelves and save their money for Dominaria. That's why you don't give people the option to make one INFORMED spending decision over another. People said Iconic didn't sell because of Unstable; well this is the same situation except now we know exactly what's in the new set as opposed to just full art lands as the case was with Unstable.

I read the spoiler. And I'm not impressed; I'd be unimpressed either way but it's not in their best interest for me to give absolutely zero shits until June when Battlewhatever comes out.

It is more that it is a variation of Tarmanoa. Imagine casting Blasphemous Act to gain one million life. Or Deflecting Palm to gain like, 10 and then bolt something.

EDH people tend to be Timmies and Johnnies. It is a fun effect.

this requires them to attack

which will never happen as long as you leave up 1W and they will just continue their game plan of beating you to death with their less meaningful creatures all the while hazoret pings you

not a real or viable answer
we already have baffling end for the smaller creatures and seal away isn't much better

this is maybe a real thing but then you still have the problem of TSG

the only card I can think of is essence scatter
all other spells you would use to deal with Hazoret do so for 4 mana which is not mana efficient but at mana parity which means you are losing to the mono red deck

and the only reason UB control does well is because of TSG which is another card that demands a mana efficient instant speed exile effect

none of which exist in standard
the format is trash

Path would have actually been perfect in the current meta but can't have nice things in standard that would be poopy bad for timmy and his 30$ mythic rares that he spent his allowance on his mommy game him

how much pic related will be worth with the new black enchant spoiled ?

It's still shit removal, because it's temporary. There will never be a Path, a Swords, a Bolt, or Terror effect ever again unless it's severely overcosted and neutered.

This definitely enables some infinite combos.

I mean... fair enough I guess. Its a neat buils around.

>Is this modern playable?

fuck no

$1

so a 300% gain ? not bad i guess

But in context, man. We're discussing playing it against a monored deck. This shit is as permanent as it gets.

Also, we got Wizard bolt. Soulscar Mage is in standard.

>they will just continue their game plan of beating you to death with their less meaningful creatures all the while Hazoret pings you
Until you just remove the 1 or 2 beaters they'd have left at that point and are either forced to tap Hazoret or play a worse shock every turn but do nothing else. If they can't use Hazoret for the thing she's good at, that being a fucking deadly attacker, you've practically already won.

It won't take away Hazoret if the player is smart, and it won't take it away if the player is dumb and has played into it once and knows to just discard cards to hit the player instead.

>play Pia's Revolution
>play this
>play 2x Ornithopter
>???
>Profit

can to teach me how you prevent them from drawing cards every turn?
I would love to know how you trick judges into letting you skip your opponents draw step so they can never have more resources after you use your 1 for 1 removal on some of their stuff

red is here to stay until Hazoret rotates
the card is far to powerful and we didn't get the proper answers
same goes for TSG which is basically an instant win if you are ever allowed to untap with it

Eternal Witness/Treasure Hunter + LED/Tormod's Crypt/Baubles/Lotus Petal = return all creatures with CMC

They either play creatures you most likely can easily remove, discard shit for Hazoret or burn your face.

It's not exactly mono red's forte to refill their hand once they're down to Hazoret's activation.

>not exactly Mono reds forte to refill their hand once they are down to hazoret activation

I too love forgetting Bomat Courier exists

>Magic has adopted "they" as the preferred third-person-singular pronoun for a player, replacing "he or she."
Can't wait for the /pol/-tears.

>Bomat Courier
>card advantage in a grind situation
Yes, exiling that 1 card sure is going to be such great advantage.

>1 set block
Fuck totally forgot about that... I've been looking at this set thinking "Wow this is all setting up for a great 2nd set!"

And now you've dashed my dreams, user, but better now than later.

Now I feel like they've really dropped the ball on call backs they could have used OR the calls backs they have have just taking up space for what could have been neater cards.

Fucking WotC.

Depends on wether or not someone wins with it on Twitch.
Cards don't appreciate because they're good, they appreciate because monkey see monkey do.

I'm not that guy, but I assume they landed a turn 1 one. He might have a point. That could be 3 or 4 cards.

If Hazoret isn't attacking Harored isn't winning.
That's all you need.

>Cards don't appreciate because they're good

can you please use your brain before posting ?

>people are falling for the hype train.......... again

please dont fall for it again, richards garfields name is slapped on it but dont think that he had anything to do with this set

Considering the only people I've seen point this out in facebook/twitter all look like ugly women(male), they're kinda justified.

I like it purely as an editorial design choice tho.

You wouldn't allow a turn 1 Courier to live until the late game. If you already have Hazoret out you are most likely already past drawing with it, since most people will want to get it out as an attacker ASAP.

And then guess what, Hazoret can't attack.
Why do you always assume a magical christmas land for monored?

this, so far this set looks like a mega shit conspiracy tier set

That might not be the case - they not doing blocks any more, but they have said they will stay on planes as many sets as they need to. We could get another Dominaria set after Core 19. Probably not though, since it seems like they're getting every relevant thing they can fom Dominaria in this set.

incorrect
if hazoret is on the field and not being exiled Hazored is winning

you should expect to be at around 12 life when they play their first hazoret

1 or 2 activations plus the chandra they are also holding means you basically lose in 80% of cases

UB control is capable of standing up against it because 80% of the deck is cards that say "Exile target Hazoret or Chandra"

new red toys are gonna push red over the top again until rotation

because magical chrismas land for mono red is "I drew average"
because there is no possible way for the deck to draw bad except
"I drew 10 mountains in a row"

they get to play their threats in whatever order they draw them in and it doesn't matter
you as the opponent though have to draw your very specific answer cards in the perfect order to answer what they are playing or you lose
all of the risk and luck involved is on your end
while they mitigate luck and skill by just vomiting their hand out and killing you before you can do anything if you didn't draw perfectly

"Magical Christmas Land" is the Average case for Red

Sometimes I wonder. How paranoid do you have to be think shit like this or intentional leak shit. I just... I dont get it. I dont understand how there can exist people so distrusting that thats really a thought they genuinely have. Am I the autistic one? To not be able to see how other people think? Because I really cant understand.

I just had to let this out.

Whats your problem with the set?

>tfw Gix still wont get his own card

Monkey-see-monkey-do and actual quality are the two major factors. You need a level of quality to be good enough to be seen by monkeys but if you don't think that simply following someone else's decklist is what sells a ton of cards then you're naive. Just look at the incredible spikes in prices that follow MTG Goldfish's articles to see monkey-see-monkey-do in action.

Okay, if monored is so great why is it putting up middling results?

You're bitching about nothing.

>Thalia the fifth most played creature in Modern was $5-6 until Death and Taxes won a Legacy GP with live Twitch coverage.
>Death's Shadow was $4 until it showed up on live coverage.
>Rekindling Phoenix was $10 until it showed up in live coverage

Can you? People are retarded at valuing cards and just follow the stores blindly.

so far i didn't saw a single good card

>only black AOE is a 1 turn delayed 4 mana enchantment
>no potential Push replacement
They really need to deliver on both in M19. Fatal Push and all black AOE rotating at once is going to be a huge roadblock. Black needs reliable, fast nukes and a

good thing i'm a johnny then, it's probably why i'm able to make $$ with this gamu

say what you want, when the day 1 box EV is 70 bucks on release again ill be here with my money while you are salty on Veeky Forums