EDH/Commander General

Optimism Edition

Previously:RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Does your playgroup play anything in the background (music, sports, movies, etc)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=En1dfFxfGSQ
youtu.be/ySadPyWH2jI
youtube.com/watch?v=ul4JYGZLFQs
youtube.com/watch?v=KU7GQhDbr6E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Does your playgroup play anything in the background (music, sports, movies, etc)?
The Jeopardy theme song whenever someone takes 10 minutes on their fucking turn.

Bringing from the last thread

>Demonlord Belzenlok
>4BB
>Legendary Creature — Elder Demon
>6/6
>Flying, trample
>When Demonlord Belzenlok enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card, then put that card into your hand. If the card's converted mana cost is 4 or greater, repeat this process. Demonlord Belzenlok deals 1 damage to you for each card put into your hand this way.

WE SUICIDE EDH NOW

>Does your playgroup play anything in the background (music, sports, movies, etc)?

no, why? that would be annoying as fuck

also:

>Broken Bond
>1G
>Sorcery
>Destroy target artifact or enchantment. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

sol ring removal AND land ramp? yes please

i retract my earlier post. *this* is the worst art ever printed

It feels so wrong to not have "to your mana pool."

If it's centered I think it can work.

>Flashes in behind you

nigga who was considering building yasova last thread here. Should I make go 4 color with some of the partners to get some of blacks sac stuff instead?

I'm more surprised they aren't just adding a melded mana sumbol logo instead of the written out ability.

Primevals' Glorious Rebirth
5WB
Legendary Sorcery
(You may cast a legendary sorcery only if you control a legendary creature or planeswalker.)
Return all legendary permanent cards from your graveyard to the battlefield.

This shit is going to be so good in atraxa, like holy fuck

What isn't good in atraxa

>Steals your lamp

What 4 decks will be in anthology 2?

Not usually, I mostly play at a store. When it's just me and my mates at someones place though, we'll usually turn on some power or viking metal. Y'know, something to get everyone pumped up for an epic battle.

Also, anyone ever put together a creatureless mono-black deck? I was thinking of running it with Erebos at the head and using stuff like No Mercy, Painful Quandary, Underworld Dreams, etc and a ton of removal and stuff like Torment of Hailfire as a wincon. Is an entirely creatureless deck like this viable?

Really fucking excited to see a new set again after in forever. Last time I was this excited was when I discovered that Theros would be an enchantment matters set, just to be very disappointed later when I saw the spoilers, glad to know it wasn't this case again.

not in my atraxa equipment/aura voltron deck that totally exists

They're really trying to make Elder a thing now, aren't they?

and the more they do it the less special it is.

pls

I must confess to being temped by that boros minotaur legend, even if I know it's probably too overcosted to be really competetive

just use artifact ramp and mass ld

Ah yes, the joy of boros, that is true. When everyone has shit for mana, no one does.

>GW
>Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
>0/0
>Shanna, Sisay's Legacy can't be the target of abilities your opponents control.
>Shanna gets +1/+1 for each creature you control.

>Human Warrior
>GW
>Warrior

SOLDIER.

There are a similar number of Warriors and Soldiers overall in Magic but Green has way, WAY less Soldiers than Warriors.

GW should always be soldiers
RG should always be warriors

but that's just my opinion

>can't be the target of abilities
???
What, were they worried she'd be pinged to death?

I have a surprisingly good King Macar creatureless deck in that vein. I enjoy it.

I'm interested in the red guy that makes elementals, are there even that many good red auras?

My playgroup also does this.

the only problem with the new sultai commander is that I can't play it right now

I know, same man. God I hope the art is good, I'd love for Seb McKinnon to get a crack at it.

>tfw playgroup told me to never come again "because you take like five minutes per turn"

Actually yeah I think I can see this taking shape- The guy, a chunk of artifact ramp, a chunk of land destruction, preferably stuff that hits them over me- ruination etc. Funforger package, couple wrath effects, some lifegain wincon stuff such as felidar or aetherflux, a few other lifegain pieces, and then throw in good burn / mono red mana / fuck you stuff, spitemare, stuffy doll, reckoner, repurcussions, blact, star any other of reds "mass damage" wipes and such.

the Gravetide title and Elemental Avatar creature type make me think he'll look like pic related but much larger and coming out from the ocean like godzilla

I am so fucking hype for gravetide. Honestly him and the new jhoira and boros- dominaria has salvaged the mess that is m25. I just hope all their art is tops- god if they bring back old artists like chippy and RKF I can die happy.

Oh yeah, I guess the new jhoira is pretty much the UR artificer commander we're getting or the best we'll get for some time

Yeah she looks fun. Might try some cheerios jank with her, just glad we got a UR artifacts matter finally, and not suspend BS. Jund landfall next please!

So, does it work with Horobi? Isn't the creature dying before it actually get enchanted?

Also they're quite a lot of card with potential.

The creature would die while the aura is being cast, which would in turn cause the aura to be countered and put into the graveyard.

The creature would never have been enchanted, and would not be returned to hand.

The same thing happens if someone casts a kill spell in response to any aura.

ya, who ever won the last game s gets to pick the music

opinions on the dominaria leaks? i have not really read many of them so far because im waiting for the card art

Literally Commander: The Set
If I actually played any 60 card format I would be foaming at the mouth with in coherent rage, but for our format there's a lot of good shit.

Ok, that's what i was thinking, shame.
At least we've got the black elder dinosaur wich is kinda crazy recently.

A lot of good shit, a lot of potential.
I only play casual kitchen table and edh so i'm pretty happoy, but as said that might not be the case with everyone else. Definitely smells better to me than Kaladesh, Amonkhet and Ixalan though.

kaladesh was ok imo

>Thread question
Oh yeah. I introduced my group to one of my favorite bands last week and they liked it. Otherwise we just throw on other music or sports if a good game is on

>1 mana dorks back in Standard
That's reason enough to play. Also we don't know what other cards are in the set.

RIP to Tron, Storm, Elfball and Shop players though. Damping Sphere is a motherfucker.

Are there people who don't? What kind of autistic group sits in silence and plays EDH?

Yeah, it had good things for sure but i definitely wasn't a fan of it. Gameplay-wise art-wise or flavor-wise, it felt kind of cheap.

You know people can talk to each other, right?

the art was the thing i like the most about it. also the limit environment was p good

>something something Virgin LGS vs Chad Kitchen Table

depends on who's picking music
>our blackfag
youtube.com/watch?v=En1dfFxfGSQ
>our bluefag
youtu.be/ySadPyWH2jI
I'll play this next time
youtube.com/watch?v=ul4JYGZLFQs
also let shitty netflix shows run in the background if nobodies feelin music

What would you guys do about a guy that proxies literally his entire deck? It's super annoying to hear him talk trash when his deck consistently wins because it's worth 2-3x what everyone else's is.

my friend, who doesn't play MTG but lives in the same apartment that we play MTG in, plays loud weebshit like touhou stuff in the living room while reading /g/ or something, and it gets just a tiny bit annoying sometimes

ask him to bring down his deck's power level. if he refuses to do that, build hand-hate-and-LD skithiryx and show him the true meaning of unfun EDH

have you tried asking him to turn it down or play something else?

youtube.com/watch?v=KU7GQhDbr6E
This theme is so fucking good.

Ask him to play with what he actually got. I'm not a fan of proxies but i can get comprehensive if it's one or two cards. Thsi is just toxic and shitty, especially if he's a dick about it.

yeah but he's a friend and he lives there too so i feel that it would be rude to make demands

it usually isn't bad music anyway, his playlist just sometimes goes into weebshit more

I have a really nice home stereo system and play classical music during games. It actually does cut down on misplays and makes even a shitty game more tolerable.

Selvala or Ghalta? Leaning towards the latter because I think Selvala would just be too fucking fast for my group

Why would you play with someone who does that?

If I played someone who had a deck of commons and basic lands with "GRISELBRAND" or "TERMAGOYF" written on them in sharpie I would slap that shit off my table. Thats like showing up to play Warhammer with chess pieces and sticky notes.

What'd I miss?

34 legendaries from Dominaria.

Fucking what?

Actually it's more like someone who kitbashes their warhammer army out of third-party parts

Garfield is a generous master who wants us to be happy.

Also there was another incident fairly equivalent to NPH godbook, dropping the full release notes for Dominaria. No images this time so I can still pray the art is good, but Garfield doesn't have much control over that.

No, kitbashing would be HQ proxies, especially alternate image fancy proxies rather than "counterfeit" look-alikes. Sharpie on a junk card is just lazy.

>tfw they bring back all the good old artists to do the art for new legendaries
A man can dream.

You can't see my boner, but I assure you it's raging. Time to pour over cards for a few hours.

Man I really wanna bash face with Evra, the cleric who lets you exchange your life total with her power.
The problem is that everybody can see it coming from a mile away if she's your commander, but if she isn't you can't knock out people with commander damage

>hey bro, cant fuck with that goyf lol

>more like someone who kitbashes out of third-party parts
if said parts are to scale I actually encourage this, what you're think of is -that guy- who uses an arizona can as a carnifex proxy

It would be great if they at least kept the old art on the high-profile reprints (Verdant Force, Gaea's Blessing, Skizzik, etc.) and brought on oldschool artists, if not for the Legendaries that live in the modern era, then for the Saga enchantments. Honestly I'd be happy if they somehow dug up Andi Rusu for them -- look at Barktooth Warbeard or Pavel Maliki and tell me they don't look like something out of an illustrated manuscript... which is exactly what a card representing an in-character story should look like.

I feel like in all this joy there was a tiny ball drop by not printing a saga literally named "Urza's Saga". but I guess "The Antiquities War" will do.

garfield is overrated desu

She's already 6. Ramp hard and use Rogue's Passage to slip her through. Whispersilk Cloak and the shoes are also nice. Instant removal will still fuck you with the Rogues' Passage route but that's why you hold on to all the stupid Selenia tricks like Martyrs of Korlis, to rebound your life total in the event of untimely death.

you can probably run a couple of creature untap things to swap your life total with the creature's power at will, so that it will essentially be a 40/40 creature when it matters and 6/6 when it doesnt

Yeah it definitely will involve some tricks. 6CMC and 4 for the ability, in mono white, is harsh. Ways to get her through and to not die in an emergency. Having some passive lifegain might be useful, and Axis of Immortality to get someone to 4 life too.

>Firesong and Sunspeaker
It's not Soulfire Grandmaster, but it's close enough.

>my boy Jodah finally got printed
I probably won't play him because 5 color, but I'm buying one.

Seems kinda boring as a general yeah, straight up cheating big things into play

>Shoe her up so you untap with her
>Respond to the axis trigger by swapping your life with her four power
>Then axis goes ahead and swaps that 4 life with captain pillowfort's trans-40 sum
>Grand Abolisher gives the finger to anyone who wants to respond
>Your commander is now >21 power while you have a competent life total, even if you never get the lifelink due to salty scooping, you're good.

I (not ) have been looking sideways at actually building 5c for a while. Ramos still seems the most interesting but Jodah is sure as hell going in his 99 as an alterative to Dream Halls for the Conflux Shuffle.

>5-color cheat out ANYTHING

seems like a decent niche to me

can someone post the "GET THE DOOR" ramos image? i want a good introduction for my group to my deck

I got you.

Your Commander is costly, but your spells can be cheap:

>arrows of justice
>aurelia's fury
>boros charm
>brightflame
>deflecting palm
>energy bolt
>fire at will
>intimidation bolt
>lightning helix
>warleader's helix

Just make Firesong and Sunspeaker the high end of your curve and have fun stacking up the lifegain and burn effects.

Not gonna lie, a lot of the legends have me hyped. A good chunk of the cards in this set seem overcosted, but the legends and saga stuff feels nice.

Based PHDick has returned to prove why he's the man. We just get to reap the rewards. And they are many.

I mean, you know the first spells the Archmage Eternal casts are going to be Enter the Infinite and Omniscience. If you can hit WWUUBBRRGG you probably deserve to win but I feel that, again specifically as a commander, he has some very precise optimal lines of play that will lead to games feeling really same-y, a lot like Old Johira or Narset.

I know he doesn't exactly seem exciting right now, but I feel like in addition to getting not one but two decent boros commanders (Especially Firesong), we also got another commander for fairly anemic Dimir with Rona. I just wish she(?) used Mairsil's counter tech to retain casting power across death.

Ghalta seems infinitely more fun, and if yo're so inclined, you can do that Storm meme.

thanks, you're a lifesaver

yeah and you can use taziri to tutor up for food chain combo pieces but that doesn't mean taziri is only playable as food chain

I think I'm still tempted by Star of extinction as a slot in for the deck, just because of how much lifegain I could get out of it, and also because Im tempted to put in repurcussions, reckoner, spitemare and stuffy as pet cards with red aoe damage ones.

Definitely, 5C allows you to do anything so you need to impose some deckbuilding or playstyle constraints on yourself to make it interesting