How do we fix Yu-gi-oh?

How do we fix Yu-gi-oh?

A mile long ban list.

What does this card do? The font is so small, I can't read it.

Ban all kaijus

Why would you voluntarily mill your entire deck?

Just let me summon any monster i want fuck

Create 5 formats:
1. YGO OG
2. YGO+GX
3. YGO+GX+5DS
4. YGO+GX+5DS+ZEXAL,
and then a format where you can use cards from all eras.

Most of those eras are ass outside of 3 formats.

Here's a better division
1. Goats
2. Teledad
3. Tengu Plant
4. Dragon Rulers
5. Normal Advanced Format.

Make the font bigger and the wording less convoluted.

Make the cards look less like shit and rewrite them in such a way that they don't constantly refer to other cards by name.

formats like in mtg.

Seriously

4 of the worst and most cancerous formats in history.

the only difference between a cancer format and a timeless format is personal taste.

fix the formatting and add some keywords so people don't have to squint and read a card multiple times just to figure out what they do. Why does a decade+ old card game still have walls of text when every other game gets cleaner wording as it ages.

Yugioh has gotten clearer text though. Effects are just far too varied to be keyworded.

Yugioh doesn't need to be fixed. It appeals to a very different demographic than magic (or other tcg's). Most of the suggestions that come from these threads are in the vein of
>How do we make Yugioh like MtG?
If you truly wish to improve the game without making it a different game
>Banlists need to address problem cards and not try to push/sell new product.
>Better communication with KoA. We need to understand why they make certain decisions like how they choose which cards to import, why cards get rarity bumped. shortprinted, etc.

I play only yugioh and I cam tell you that ygo really needs fixing, the game is just not only too fast, it's come down to whoever goes first automatically wins the match.

What's the ideal yugioh speed in your opinion? Any specific format?

First of all, rebuild from the ground up. Second, make sure no power creep. Fusion and Rituls required specific cards, why did synchro, xyz, and linking not get specific cards?

vintage and modern formats

>First of all, rebuild from the ground up.
Oh, well, shouldn't be that hard then.

This.

The banlist is the biggest, most disgusting cancerous tumor this game has ever seen and that's the only cure.

The game is so immensely, DEEPLY fucked atm (since quite some time really), that I honestly think you'd need to remake the whole game to fix it.

Here are some points the game needs to fix desperately:
>Much slower powercreep
As of right now, the game will inevitably hit a brick wall once power creep becomes too much. Either the mechanics will have to be deeply thwarted to accommodate a new framework for the game designed specifically to fuck older cards (รก la Links) and cut-off half a majority of your player base, or design space becomes non-existent and game over.
>Quicker or more comfortable ways to read effects
As archetypes are essential to the game, there needs to be ways to more easily read those goddamm walls of text most cards share. There's no reason every single Yang-Zing card has to be a chore to read when really most of their effects only change slightly.
>Konami needs to fucking stop
Self-explanatory. Not really trying to draw Magic parallels here, but as dumb as Wizards of the Coast is sometimes, they do an A-grade job communicating with the community and providing a great experience beyond the actual game. Konami should, I don't know really... It's such a fucked up company beyond the YGO sphere that I doubt it.
>Banlist
Stop pushing product. Either install rotation, or come up with another way to sell shit, because we all know this isn't a charity but fuck there have to be better ways to take our money.

I think one of the most practical things to do right now would be to add more support for already existing archetypes instead of constantly creating new ones. Not only that, as that operation is being done, slowly start unbanning cards as well so that the end game is to keep as many cards unbanned as possible with taking into account support that exists for all existing archetypes rather than just a handful every format. Having a small banlist and older archetypes still somewhat viable will make the game more accessible to new players and returning players while also making it more justifable for players to invest more money into the game.

So what's currently happening?

The brick wall already hit with the end of the Pendulum era. Konami tried to stop players from going off but was met with very heavy backlash they had to dedicate an entire pack to allowing alot of decks function under the new rules. Pic related, how do you summon this with 4 extra deck monsters.

The same old shit where older cards get obsolete as newer ones are out, and more shit gets banned just so people will be more forced to buy new shit?

All decks need to jump through a paywall mechanic where you need to run blue cards to summon extra deck monsters.

>why did synchro, xyz, and linking not get specific cards?
A lot of them do, but don't act like the best decks even with fusion and rituals didnt use the much generic ass shit possible with them which is why they're good

That's one hell of a wall of text. I really miss the days when that box used to contain a little description or background information of the monster.

>It is a powerful being that can lay waste to entire planets and has never been defeated.
>1050 ATK and 900 DEF

The issue isn't needing specific cards, it's not needing a separate card to synchro, xyz, and link while fusion needed a fusion spell and rituals a ritual spell. This gives fusion and ritual an inherent card disadvantage

With the past fusion archetypes O think they've mentioned to remedy the usual minus you go for fusion summoning. Rituals used to but now most ritual cards/archetypes printed suck out of the gate and it's not only just because of the inherent care disadvantage.

They had something great with Nekroz for rituals. Pity its bans made it useless. Also they gotta make more fusions like Gladiator Beasts or the relatively newer Cyber Dragon fusions.

The gladiator beast fusions were the best fusions of their time because they could float into their materials, and since they didn't need poly that meant they didn't go minus for doing so. All other fusions were outclassed since the need for specific cards AND more cards made their consistency suffer, and the inability to float into their materials prevented them from recovering resources.

>giving money to Konami
extraheretical.jpg

Redesign the game from the ground up with non-shit formatting and taking all possible summon and monsfer types into account, then re-release the first 5 sets in this new format moving complex monsters inti more obcious summon types, for instance Gate Guardian being a Synchro rather than a fusion.

You may only special summon once a turn.

t. master peace

ahaha fuck off

just go play mtg

restart it completely without the forced anime bullshit

>Forced anime bullshit
It was always based on a manga.

Start over from scratch with bigger cards and better wording.

Because the result of Fusion and Ritual requiring specific cards is that no-one played them, or if they did they tried to cheat them out.

Restart it completely without the card game bullshit from the manga. More of this shit, Atem coming up with creative and amusing ways to outright murder people.

On that note are there any manga like early Yu-Gi-Oh where the protagonist pulls these kinds of shenanigans?

Kazuki made it about cardgames because he ran out of ideas for new games each week, the manga would have died without cardgames.

There's only so many weekly death games you can do before the money train stops

to grab exodia? Btw, what are the rules on your last drawn card being your final exodia piece?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees it.

The second you have all exodia pieces in hand (and a card effect is not resolving), you instantly win.

What video is this from?

>and a card effect is not resolving
so if you have 1 card left in your deck, and you play pot of greed. You draw 1 card, its the final piece of exodia, but then you have to draw another card, but you cant, do you lose then? Or is the rule that only during the draw phase being unable to draw would cause you to lose

Yeah basically. And if you dark world dealings into all 5 pieces of exodia, you have to discard a card with dealings before exodias win condition can apply.

>What video is this from?
It's from his instagram.

You would lose, because you have to draw 2 cards, but you cannot because you only have 1 in your deck. I can't remember if they changed the rules regarding something like graceful charity (draw 3, discard 2). Is it:

>Draw 3, including the last exodia piece
>have to discard 2
>discard an exodia piece
>don't win

or:

>Draw 3, including the last exodia piece
>win before you have to discard 2

Its the first one. So you cant just sack people with graceful and sylvan charity

I remember them reruling Ring of Destruction though, so it inflicts damage to you first, and if that reduces your LP to 0 it doesn't damage the opponent, even if it would cause a draw.

Yeah, thats the new errata so people cant force draws anymore, which is the big reason why it was banned.

>to grab exodia? Btw, what are the rules on your last drawn card being your final exodia piece?
You only lose if you are to draw but your deck is depleted.

We had that phase, it was called when maxx C was playable, it was terrible.

Just because your shitty deck can only sometimes special summon doesn't mean the entire game should focus around it, fuck off.

But ritual and fusion monsters can use materials from the hand while synchro, xyz, and link monsters cannot.

There are like 3 Tuners that can use monsters from the hand.

not him but i don't think there is an "ideal speed", it's just that what we have now and is way too fucking fast. something the speed of nekroz format or something would be fine.

I've been out of the playing part of yugioh for a while
What's the deal with this thing?

Attached: AshBlossomJoyousSpring-LCKC-EN-UR-1E.png (595x875, 1.18M)

By sending all the nostalgifags and magicucks to the Shadow Realm.

Attached: looks-like-youre-going-to-the-shadow-realm-jimbo.jpg (640x787, 46K)

It negates anything good

In Literature

You start the whole fucking game over and you actually do thorough, diverse design. Yu-gi-oh gets some things right, but it also has made too many mistakes that are too late to fix in terms of cards with generic requirements and staples.

You found the right issue, but for the wrong reason.

The disadvantage is that in most of these forms of summoning, the materials can just be whatever as long as you hit the right levels. The same deck can run a ridiculous variety of extra deck at breakneck pace, and that's boring as fuck.

Unsalvageable. There's only a handful of traits unique and/or characteristic to YGO that I'd ever consider porting over to a more functional game, like MtG, Pokemon TCG or a clone thereof.

>all thes anime bullshit denialists

You're getting it all wrong. Yu-Gi-Oh! worked perfectly precisely because it ran on fuck-you logic. This is what the game must pursue.

>embrace its own stupid design and become as deliberately obtuse as possible
This is just a starter.

>no rules printed on cards
You heard that right. Cards just have ATK and DEF, a name and a pic and that's it.

>you have to look up rules references for the cards
>any individual card can have all maner of idiosyncratic arcane effects, buried deep within manuals and tomes released over the course of many years
>the anime actually reveals several legit uses for cards, but the rest you'll have to find out yourself

This forces only neckbeards to play the game, as they and only they have the prerequisite dedication to buy tonnes of fictional prose lore and dig through to find obscure card combos and abuseable technicalities.

Also
>when playing at an official YGO tournament, judges have a comprehensive knowledge of all possible card plays. you can attempt ANY possible play or activation, and a judge will tell you if it's valid or not.

Exactly what the game needs. Bitch out.

I would say it needs actual format control and rotation, first and foremost. With all the card interactions over the years it made more sense to just go full power creep and that's made everything a shit show. Good luck getting new players.

Cards need actual costs associated with them. Pot of Greed should let you draw a card and let your opponent draw a card, or cost some life, or force you to mill a card off the top of your deck afterwards, or something to that effect. In all three of these cases they could print a card that would offset the cost. In the first case, print a trap that activates and damages an opponent when they draw outside of their turn. In the second case, a little life gain will do; it will either slow the game down a bit or force players to be aggressive and eat the life cost. In the last case, print a couple card-type-specific graveyard recursion support cards.

Have Monster Reborn eat a number of life points equal to half the monster's attack/defense points, then print cards with wildly different attack/defense values and then print a card that can efficiently swap battle positions.

Remove deck searching. Maybe add cards with light topdeck filtering or scry or whatever.

It doesn't have to be carbon-copied from Magic but it could learn a few things. It's a shame the game is such a mess because I'd love to run themed shit brews that are playable and also make me think rather than race an opponent. Dinosaur wizards, rescue animals, smug jars, and Gradius ships? You bet your ass I'd play high risk life drain decanter tribal.

Attached: yugioh__morphing_jar_by_rikert-davl0xz.png.jpg (722x1107, 67K)

>On Pot of Greed
They've already printed several variations with actual costs attached.
>On Monster Reborn
The card is relatively useless in the game at this point because outside of the rare time you special summon an opponent's card, you're already on the losing end.
>Remove deck searching
There's nothing wrong with it

>no rules printed on cards

That was just something the dub did due to FCC regulations about advertising. Both the manga and the original Japanese animation have complete texts for cards.

you can't

Attached: a14.jpg (394x458, 25K)

Huh, never knew that.

Attached: zexal_001_g6_hulu_japanese_hd_shark_water_cards_big_jaws.png (1280x720, 855K)

No, I never want to go back to "first guy who keeps a card on board loses".

Zarc is piss easy to shit out though, it's just never worth it.

Attached: SupremeKingZARC-MACR-EN-ScR-1E.png (1040x1521, 4.44M)

She makes fun stuff like your opponent discarding a card and banishing a 4th of their deck happen.

You don't, either enjoy the glorious clusterfuck that modern ygo is or play another game.

they already printed a pot of greed with a cost
in fact one of them is currently a staple in many decks

monster reborn is not that great after all the power creep and was unbanned with basically no effect on the game, it's just a tech card at this point

part of why yugioh is fun is the ridiculous shit compared to magic, if i wanted to play magic then why the fuck wouldn't i just go play magic instead, the problem right now is the speed that's happened due to power creep.

I enjoy yugioh, but there are a lot of problems that I don't really see any way to fix. Power creep will always happen, and trying to add set rotation would just piss off people who want to play older decks, and konami would have to reprint all the staples constantly, because who wants to play a format with no generic spell/trap removal. Then all the archetypes are being distilled into the optimal effects with some shitty gimmick tacked on. All good decks have a searcher, a reviver, a protected boss monster or one that's super spammable, a field spell that does something for the archetype, a counter trap, etc. And some decks that lack these (or there version is too costly/inconsistent) just fall by the wayside. But a game without those consistency cards would be fucking awful, people would revert to goodstuff.dek like 2006 and earlier.

And there's a constant arms race between boss monsters and removal, because being able to sit on a moderately powerful boss monster is BAD but investing resources into something that will only ever last one turn at max before it gets Solemned/Evenly Matched/Kaijued is FINE. So now you've got boss monsters that can't be targeted or destroyed but it doesn't matter because there are easy ways to get rid of them anyway. The only good boss monster is the one that either prevents your opponent from playing or will win you the game that turn.

Attached: 1491194148543.png (225x225, 68K)

Its less about boss monsters and more about the turn 1 lockout boards and having to open the handtrap or lose that the entire meta is based around. The Tier 2 and below decks arent like that and are a lot of fun to play with and against, as theres a lot of back and forth play and deck choices. However the continual cancer of tier 0/1 decks ruins the enjoyment of the game time and time again. There isnt anything below invoked that can drop a lockout board, its just retarded blatantly broken shit like pendulums and trickstar that are unhit for months and just turn the meta into a slog. Even the World chalice petdeck that topped ycs only won because it made a turn 1 gameciel lockout play.

Yeah, the boss monster thing was my own complaint because I prefer boss monsters to lockout boards personally. Don't forget there's also stupid shit like Plant FTK and Pendulum FTK that are still legal (I think Plants are still legal in OCG, might be wrong). I mostly play tier 2 because I find tier 1 to be a coin toss whether you can lock or if you opened handtraps.

At least ftks get hit fast. Lockout boards are basically FTKs that give your opponent the illusion they have a chance of winning.

With tactical nuclear strikes.

You fucking fuckers REEK.

I can smell you for DAYS after you're done in the FLGS. You leave STAINS on the chairs.

How. The FUCK. Do you STAIN. A PLASTIC CHAIR.

CHRIST I WANNA HOSE YOUR FAGGOT ASSES WITH FEBREZE.

Attached: 23472451_1176415799126581_5010626660389342704_n.jpg (708x846, 70K)

Underrated post.

>"bitch out" leads me to believe it is le leddit in disguise

Attached: 1516555430920.jpg (620x700, 53K)

Yeah I actually made that up on the spot. Couldn't think of a way to end the post, and "bitch out" was the first thing I ended up typing.

If older decks are unplayable due to power creep, is that not a form of rotation, only with the illusion of the old still being playable? After all, playing casually one doesn't care about things like 'formats', you just play what you want regardless.
And they would not have to reprint the staples constantly, either. You can have generic removal without it being the literal same cards - it just means that there's a lot of variety for nonrotating formats.
And archetypes wouldn't HAVE to be that way. A lower power level means they don't need all of that at once to be decent, and if you have a rotating format you can afford to make the overall power level lower (since cards aren't competing with the list of everything ever). Note - lower power does not necessarily mean low power. Just by cutting all the previous stuff out you've got a lower power level, after all, and sets with a lower power level than current can still contribute to a nonrotating format.
But Konami would never make such changes at all, because that would require effort and just making everything more powerful while banning whatever's good does not.

The difference is you can still play old decks, and sometimes old decks reappear due to a meta change or new support and dominate again.

Power creep in yugioh is far, FAR more gradual and tame than power creep in almost every other cardgame. People just often confuse the banlist gutting top decks to be powercreep, when those top decks could still compete today if all their support is brought back. Nekroz, Pepe, even Drulers could all still be competitive at full power. Its just the banlist keeping them down.

i have an idea for a fanfic set between yuigioh duel monsters and yugioh GX, like after battle city and shadow games, and after duel academies were made. but before archetypes became super big as a thing.

>The second you have all exodia pieces in hand (and a card effect is not resolving), you instantly win.
wrong. You need to finish resolving your card. Ie. if you use allure of darkness, draw the last piece of exodia, and you only have the pieces as monsters, you HAVE to banish one of the pieces, and therefore you don't have exodia.

If you use pot of greed and only have 1 card in your deck, you lose because you're trying to draw a card and cannot.

etc etc.

Attached: giphy (1).gif (480x287, 1.21M)

thats what he said you retard

no, he said that as soon as he drew it, he won.

when that's not what happens. if you draw exodia, and then have to discard it while resolving the effect that let you draw it, you don't win.

>implying they could keep up with the turn 1 unbreakable board decks that have been dominating

what part of
>(and a card effect is not resolving)
did you skip over?