Bug world XV: Roach royality edition

Welcome one and all to the realm of Arath, or as the uneducated masses call it... 'Bugworld.' A realm of swords and sorcery, fantastical beasts and ancient evils...and with all of it being done through the many little eyes of various bugfolk. Moth necromancers, Roach bards, Spider rangers and Mantis monks.Come along and add your ideas and input to the construction of this cozy little resurrected worlduilding project.

Help build Bugworld!

Last thread: (Topic resurrection edition?) Where a whole lot of talking happened and where a whole lot of nothing actually got done.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/58284478/#58284478

Link to the current googledoc:

docs.google.com/document/d/1pbF8KETro8UPOSZ2V4Uw1xoWHDa8QI3mXqpHs93VwTM/edit

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1Cyo1mASv6yZkb-ibisHufReq11uipvSQq8AtMZVCazM/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=YsUqC8-D6AY
youtube.com/watch?v=YwhXkKTOBPQ
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/bug world/type/op/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>roach royalty
So... turks?

Goy back to /pol/

Someone mentioned making the Roaches who don't live in cities Druids/Shamans

Could work with that

I have an idea for Black Widows, I'll link it when I finish up with the details.

With how intense and aggressive Robber Flies are they'd probably have some nasty stories drifting around to scare young larva and nymphs to stay in their burrows or else the Robbers will get them

Robber Flies are pretty impressive, they will take out dragonflies, wasps, bees, all mid-air while flying. Some will even pluck a spider from its web without fear

Alright boys, my little write-up on Black Widows is done. Anyone want to add to my ideas? Or you could call me a faggot. It's up to you!

docs.google.com/document/d/1Cyo1mASv6yZkb-ibisHufReq11uipvSQq8AtMZVCazM/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you like it. I got huge deja-vu while writing this, I feel like I've seen everything here before.

I definitely like the roaches as a permanently displaced community of gypsies with unusual tenacity and a strong ethnic culture wherever they set up shop in.

Looking at the races section i noticed that there actually is no mention of the pill-bug race outside of there being an antagonistic cult of them running around.

>Woodlouse Sect of Return

>A dangerous trilobite worshipping religious sect who revile the use of higher technology and instead rely on strange magics from their ancient gods. They hope to summon the Great Isopod from the sea to wreak havoc against those they deem to have transgressed against their beliefs.

I don't see why we couldn't use some of 's proposed roach background lore as a general foundation for the pillbugs and as an expansion for the roaches.

With a lore like that i'm thinking that they should put in the strait up antagonists section of the lore. As a whole they seem like an utter menace to socity.

If I recall correctly spiderkind had sort of gone through a cultural shift where a female tarantula (I think?) managed to unite various types of spider together and formed a city/civ that started working at repairing and building up diplomatic relations with the other bugs with the laws of never feeding on another intelligent being and relying solely on farm raised/hunted feral creatures.

Now clearly this wouldn't include all spiders since different species/types would still probably stick to whatever their tribe or ancestors did before this "Revelation" but it would help with letting a Spider be a PC without fearing immediate slaughter upon entering most townships

I think the Wasps/Hornets also had something similar where a group broke off and vowed to stop using intelligent beings as incubators since their kind are parasitoids that require a host for their larva to consume.

Wasp-kind would probably view them more harshly than some of the "evil" spiders do their peaceful kin

youtube.com/watch?v=YsUqC8-D6AY
youtube.com/watch?v=YwhXkKTOBPQ

Roaches should be the setting's comedy race. They are an all around nice group of people who produce a ridiculous number of bards because of how funny they can be. (Just don't go wandering around the roach ghetto if you wanna keep your antennae attached to your face.)

>very little talk of bees in this or last thread
I was infested with these bastards in my wall for about a year according to my exterminator.
Would they essentially be a Borg-like (or fantasy equivalent) civilization in Arath?
Seems like their hivemind culture could make for a hell of an antagonistic totalitarian society.

I like this. Assholes, but incredibly sturdy assholes. A lot of their comedy is physical because they're more likely to survive it.

Previously they were something of a near totalitarian monarchies where breeding rights were restricted to the Queens and their noble daughters.

We typically tried to avoid hivemind tropes even with the ants and termites.

Now, a hivemind of cordyceps infected insects or some other parasite would be a perfect antagonistic force. The lingering effects of which could be the reason why Wasps/Hornets renounced parasitism of intelligent beings in

>a hivemind of cordyceps infected insects or some other parasite would be a perfect antagonistic force.
That feels a lot more Borgy.

>the reason why Wasps/Hornets renounced parasitism of intelligent beings
They realized what it was like to be a host for something and didn't want to do that anymore?

I glossed over the google docs file before writing it to make sure to look at where spiders in general are in the grand scheme of things, and I hope my interpretation of Widows could fit into the lore.

Maybe I could tone it done with the "they are a death omen" type stuff, that way players wouldn't have to constantly be scared of revealing literally their race. However, if Spiders are already trying to make themselves look not as "evil" then that would be a great place for Widows looking to distance themselves from the sect of their race that is just an assassins guild. Like any Widows who have moved to the city would be fine with Males gaining the Civilized status instead of wanting them dead and would be fine with being regular people instead of the stereotyped murderer/ black mage/ whatever evil stuff they are associated with.

My guess is that the Society of Black Widows, or w/e it would be named, wouldn't really like that too much, probably saying something along the lines of "If you join with them you aren't truly one of us" some bullshit like that.

It would be really obvious who was and wasn't a part of the Society, for those who even knew about it, that way players could play Widows without having to dedicate their entire gametime for a gimmicky racial trait. Shit there would probably BE Widows who didn't know about it, just because they were raised in the confines of a city, not out in the wild near wherever the Society lives. It would be just a bad stereotype they would have to prove wrong.

I notice that this is thread fifteen, is there a link to all of the previous threads? I couldn't find one in the google Doc.

But, user, that's offensive because of IRL gypsies are already called roaches.
Although the great variety of colours and shapes of non-common cockroaches would fit nicely with gaudy gypsy fashion...

Maybe take some ideas from Bene Gesserit?

The Bene Gesserit are from Dune, right? I've been a long time since I read it. I'm not familiar with the lore past the first book at all, though. The sequels been on my list for years. It sucks I get invested into manga faster than actual books.

Replace drow with spiders.

You don't have to 1'1 copy them, but you can use their general "feel" of mysterious all-female cult/order/organisation full of highly trained assasin-mothers.

I meant "1:1 copy them".

Yeah, I get what you meant, bru. Once I get around to writing more and not being lazy and eating 4 pizzas at once then I'll take a look at the Bene Gesserit past the first book.

Ah, I found it. Here it is for anyone wondering.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/bug world/type/op/

I highly recommend putting it in the google doc.

So something I'd like to talk about, and let me know if it's been covered and I missed it, is the differences between different colony-forming insects. Bees, hornets, ants, termites. Each has a queen and workers, but what are the differences in the way their colonies work?

Each, certainly, has builder capabilites since they all live in large hives/mounds/tunnels. I would argue, though, that it is the termites that are the most notably skilled of the group, as far as scale goes. Ants I would pin as the farmers of the bunch. Bees have their honey and fire, hornets their paper and lightning.

Bees and hornets are the most closely related of the four, and termites are the odd-man out as non-hymenoptera.

The relationship between bee and hornet hive-minds, with bees giving hornets headaches just by their presence, is something I'm quite fond of. Hornets lost their ability to emit and interpret the signals, but still receive them. Bee hiveminds, I feel, should be mostly individual-to-individual, a sort of telepathy more than anything else.

By contrast, ant hiveminds are more networked, able to carry less complex ideas but with a larger maximum distance. So, while a bee might be able to tell a long story in an instant to another bee right in front of her, an ant knows that there is work to be done on the other end of the colony, just not very specifically what.

Termites, the phylogenetic odd ones out, should probably have something fairly different. A hive mind which isn't psychic, but social. Rigorously enforced society which melds religion, government bureaucracy, culture, family, duty, and philosophy all wrapped up into one concept of "colony". They move as one not because they can read each other's thoughts psychically, but because they haven't really got a concept of individuality.

And then there's the cordycepts, which make sense as borg-like because (ignoring that they're very host specific in the real world) they can integrate all sorts of different species.

Why not repost it in a fresh thread?
>Game where you're an ant who falls in love with a white moth princess who gets kidnapped by hornets
>You team up with a Dragonfly, a Hercules Beetle, a butterfly and a spider
>On your quest you meet such faces including an aggravated pillbug, a jealous honeybee, a lovesick black widow, an obese frog, a shy cricket, a brave mouse and a cunning mantis
>Ant MC gradually rounds up ants from his colony to stop the hornet's queen's fleet
>Moth Princess' father hires a black moth known for his valiant demeanor, act as ant's rival
>Ant MC learns how to harness fire from fire-ants and thunder from lightning bugs
>become a mage-soldier
>Hercules Beetle becomes an earth user chucking pebbles at enemies and overpowering bigger prey
>Dragonfly learns wind-based techniques with his wings
>Butterfly is a healer with pollen
>Spider is a brown recluse. Highly dexterous, posseses a paralysis and poison immunity

Someone said a Weta could be a craftsman. Have another pic.

Speaking of games, has anyone else run a game set in bugworld?

I feel like spiders are pretty far from covering the obvious archetype a potential spider player might want. That is leading unsuspecting prey to their doom with a web of lies. A spider subtype with less brawn, but magical prowess that aids in lies, intrigue, and traps would be wonderful.
This subtype could have even "feral" members acting rather intelligent, luring travelers into their web, where they trap and feed on them. They would fill much the same role as vampires in other fantasy settings.
Ambushers and hunting spiders are nicely covered (although a jumping spider ability would be nice), but I feel like a major theme of patient web-spinning and misdirection, which I think off when thinking of spiders is totally absent.

As said eloquently.

>We typically tried to avoid hivemind tropes even for the ants and termites.

Real life social insects are the textbook examples of a hive-mind and that actually presents some problems when converting these species into sapient(and playable) races. You don't want to ever go past the point where having *the hive* influence joe average barry bee's character and her racial traits in ways that start to outright prevent free will. That bee will still need to be PCable after all. Most of the hivemind influence is and should absolutely stay as the 'cultural' fluff that's holding their civilizations together. It must always explicitly be more 'Psychic network' then 'Meat robots'

The idea of wasps having a less intense hive connection then the other social bugs is one that got tossed around a lot last thread. I myself am ambivalent to it but i can see the appeal. (Maybe this weakening of hivedom is a recent that that's been shaking things up for them?)
I'm very much opposed to the little party about termites having no individuality, because it goes against the whole no hiveminds thing but i do however really love to death the brainstorm you made for the ants and bees. Both flavors of hivemind just fit them both so well respectivly. Sweeping goals and emotions are relayed across the ant population (which is already pretty much part of their lore) as opposed to bees conversing in psychic conversations with other members of their hive family.

Perhaps then, such an intense lack of individuality is better left for specific termite mounds for setpieces. More commonly, in mounds that PCs are more likely to originate from, there is simply a pervasive sense of national pride. I just really like the idea of a society that is so tightly knit that you would think that they're connected psychically, even though they aren't at all.

Or, perhaps, a mad termite queen has used biomancy to give her a psychic connection to and a degree of control over her subjects?

Speaking of biomancy, I really like that being the speciality of the ants, as opposed to the carpentry of termites. Leafcutter ants, for instance, don't actually eat the leaves, they carry them back and feed it to the fungus that they farm. Furthermore, they actually grow patches of bacteria on their thorax. This white colony of bacteria produces a anti-fungal agent that the ants use to get rid of fungal "weeds" in their gardens.

Plus, highly successful ant supercolonies get to have lots of specialization in their workers, such as soldiers that are many times larger than the other workers, or ants with acid jets.

An ant empress which rules many ant queens (against the norm for ant society, but successfuly) would make for a cool "empress of grain", exerting economic power through peace and farming. A good starting point for an adventure or a large economic hub to use as a place of interest.

>I'm very much opposed to the little party about termites having no individuality
I don't think no individuality is what anybody wants. Just because the society is strictly regimented and most individuals fall perfectly in line does not mean there aren't rebels, outcasts, and other deviations from the norm. I remember one of my favorite characters I ever had in a tabletop defected from a false utopia like that, and it can provide unique storytelling opportunities.

These are funny clips, but I am bothered that they used female roach models for male characters.

You go back to pol too. I assume if that is a meme from there only other nazis would recognize it.

You aren't wanted here.

>Recognizing that only Nazis would recognize something Nazi-related.
How could you know unless you had Nazi affiliations as well!?

You guys ever watch that documentary with the crazy ants and red crabs on Christmas island? That was a real sad one.

Do you think crabs would carry stuff around in their brood pouches? Would they use the Pleopods there for fine manipulation? Or would that be weird?

Which nazi is the real nazi?

It's Roach Takarazuka user, what did you expect? Roach Kabuki?

Everyone. Even you.

You know, I feel like using all of this for a space opera game. Just make the galaxy populated by all the insect people here, and have that one player who always goes Male Human Fighter explore a weird galaxy.

At the same time, it feels like a Bug campaign should have some kind of theme. The pull of group think, biological augmentation, dealing with unusual People, something that really ties it together