EDH/Commander general

BIG BOYS edition

Previously: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Have you ever had a deck perform completely differently than what you expected or built it to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cromats-rube-goldberg-machine-of-pain/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Congratulations. Kinda wish that was a thing at my LGS, I'd play it over anything else. That or Canadian Highlander.

Thread question.
Yes.
I thought it was good. It was shit

It was the first one. Only 4 of us were really interested, the others were kinda just casuals who were there for EDH anyway.

>TQ
I made Zada a while back, thinking it'd just be "tokens and red buff spells" but it ended up being "holy fuck the Goblins are covering the entire table"

I slapped this together out of the dragon precon remains once four other people started playing it in my area. Planning on using it for Archenemy games, any advice for smoothing it out? First attempt at 5-color

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cromats-rube-goldberg-machine-of-pain/

I had an OjuTaigam list built months before he came out on the premise of rebounding combat tricks to draw extra cards and get earlier Voltron kills than normal. I ended up never attacking without insurance and instead killing the table with Psychosis Crawler + Sword of Body and Mind.

>You should be able to solve this

Help me /edhg/

For some reason, of all the Dominaria legends leaked, I have the most desire to build Bluemezawa. Does anyone have any strategies and/or spice that will work for it? All I can think of is using some terrible equipments to boost her? power after declare blocks.

I am also aware that there is some living weapon that is a 1/1 that halves life totals.

Anything else?

I built my Ayli as a cleric tribal, but it ended up with much more combo potential and reanimator-y. I ended up drawing half of my deck and gaining like 200 life with Alhammarret's archive, Dark prophecy, Deathrender and Smothering abomination.
Pic related, my favorite card in the deck.

I've made a couple of decks with a game plan and they've just ended up winning through straight combat even though they weren't geared for that at all.

>X is 0
If you mess up a step though no backsies.

Probably better in the 99 of Edric

So, you try to loop hangarback walker with recurring treasure hunter? How does that work, since you can't use TH to recur Hangarback walker?

How do you get any of this into play

>Teshar, Hunter and Altar on field
>Sac Hunter to altar for 2, cast Ballista for 1/1
>Teshar trigger goes on stack targeting hunter, in response ping opponent for 1 with Ballista and it dies
>Hunter ETB brings Ballista to hand
>Repeat and win

Whats the point of Hangarback though? Sure you'd get infinite fliers but that's strictly worse than infinite ping in most cases.

boardstate assumes to be teshar + ashnod's no cards in graveyard, ballista and hangarback in hand and about 5 mana, one of which is white
>cast TH, no things to pick up at etb
>cast hangarback for 2
>enters with 1 +1/+1 counter
>sac TH, hangarback + token for 6 mana
>cast walking ballista for 4
>when casting ballista, return TH to battlefield, return hangarback to hand
>ballista enters with 2 counters, you have 2 mana
>do 2 damage to opponent, ballista goes to graveyard
>sac TH
>have 4 mana and hangarback on hand

>>Teshar trigger goes on stack targeting hunter, in response ping opponent for 1 with Ballista and it dies

How do you do damage when ballista is still on the stack?

Teshar is ON CAST

Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
1U
Legendary Creature — Human Rogue
1/3
Creatures you control with power or toughness 1 or less can't be blocked.

You loop walker and ballista alternating?
Like if you have first two cards and ashnod's on the field, you cast both x=1 and saccing treasure hunter before you cast the next time?
So
>sac Treasure hunter, cast Hangarback walker x=1, cast returns TH to battlefield and returns ballista to hand (or nothing or something else), sac TH and walker, cast ballista for 1, 2 floats and have 1 thopter token, return TH and recur walker, repeat
Clunky, but nets infinite damage and infinite colourless mana or infinite thopters or half infinite of both.

Okay
Start with Ashnods, Teshar and Treasure Hunter in play.
>sacrifice Treasure Hunter to Ashnods
>cast Hangerback Walker or Walking Ballista where X=0
>Teshar trigger when your artifact is cast return Treasure Hunter to the battlefield
>let your artifact creature resolve and it enters the battlefield as a 0/0 with 0 +1/+1 counters
>it dies as a state based check
>sacrifice Treasure Hunter to Ashnods
>then cast your second artifact creature where X=0
>Teshar trigger returning Treasure Hunter to the battlefield and returning your first artifact creature to your hand
>second artifact creature enters the battlefield and dies
>repeat where X=0 until you've generated enough mana from Ashnods to resolve a HUGE Walking Ballista and kill everyone

Goes great with Master of Cruelties

I don't know why everyone are so hyped for this set. Most of the legends aren't even good as commanders. The only ones that seem interesting to build around are the 5 color wizard, the new Jhoira, the boros minotaur, and the bug elemental. Everything else just might go into other decks or is just tribal jank.

So, she is a commander for Colony Rats?

Sure, but you're needing grixis at that point. How about this card? I used to run the bitch in my tiny leaders deck, which I never played because it was DoA format, but it's somewhat usable

its already infinitely better than the garbage fire that is M25 and we haven't even seen the full list

I've been thinking about making a cheeky unlockable.dec with creatures that do nasty things on impact, anything else like this?

>people have been asking for UR artificer and Boros spellslinger for ages
>wonder why response is good
There's a bunch of other cool shit like Radha, Damping sphere and the token creating equipment for example. I'm definitely going to join the MtG league, even though I never buy boosters these days.

>Blackblade Reforged
>2
>Legendary Artifact — Equipment
>Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each land you control.
>Equip legendary creature 3
>Equip 7

This sounds fun in the right deck.

With power 1?

>with power or toughness 1 or less can't be blocked.

FREE

Also thrummingbird, and of course, a ninjutsu enabler.

Having played an Umezawa as my first commander, years ago, I feel obligated to build her a deck. I like her ability, but I don't know how she finishes off a player. Quietus Spike? Something to give her huge power at instant speed? I don't know if mono blue can pull that off

not blue

Sorry, I was thinking of my ninja deck.

Not just power or toughness 1, anything relatively low CMC that's good to connect with.
Ninjutsu is good too, basically black boardered Gotcha!

Picture released for Homarid Explorer. I like the new design for them. What do you guys think of the "flavour text line"?

Triggers my ocd

>What do you guys think of the "flavour text line"?
I hate it with the fury of a thousand suns.

Everyone's gonna run them where it's effective; in the 99 of a Grixis deck like suggested

Why does every retard think it's Black?

Field: Teshar, hunter, ashnod's
Hand: Walker, Ballista

Sacrifice Hunter to Ashnod's altar
Cast hangarback with X=0, returning hunter. Sacrifice hunter to Ashnod's.

Board: Teshar, Ashnod's
Hand: Ballista
Grave: Hunter, Walker
Floating: 4 colorless

Cast Ballista. X=0 . Treasure hunter returns to the field and sends walker back to your hand. Sacrifice hunter.

Hand: Walker
Field: Teshar, Ashnod's
Grave: Ballista, Hunter
Floating: 6

Since Walker and Ballista are functionally identical for this bullshit, we are back at the previous status, but with 2 more mana. Loop for infinite mana before casting Ballista with a big enough X to ping the field to oblivion.

You can loop a little faster by sinking mana into hangarback: every 2 mana spent on its X yields a thopter token worth 2 mana at Ashnod's, breaking even, +2 on the cast in total when you account for the 2 mana you get out of sacrificing Hangarback rather than letting it die to being a 0/0.

You can pull this with any artifact X/X for X creatures (there are a few, shifting wall and Phyrexian Marauder come to mind) but you kind of need one of Walker or Ballista to "Finish" unless you have an alternative outlet or some etb/ltb triggers to kill people with.

It looks better than it did in portal, but it still sucks shit.

there seems to be some smudge or did the card bend?

You already know the answer.

I have a few cards in my Rafiq combat damage triggers deck. I like Augury adept, Daxos, Blinding angel, Trygon predator and Sskashima's student for example.

it looks fine. what really triggers me is that my ugin's text is going to be errata'd along with a shiton of other cards

>cast artifacts for 0

alright there's three decks that I want to build. which one should I do first

-Sidar Kondo+Ikra Shidiqi lifegain and big butts shenanigans
-Animar morph tribal
-Marath enrage

Sidar Tymna

The art looks super nice, and I love the homarids. But I will need to see the card on my hand to see if that flavor text line is bad for the eyes or not.

This set is starting to look like Time Spiral block fucked Kamigawa block.

Which begs the question, how has Richard Garfield been reading my unpublished fanfiction?

Richard Garfield PhD. has omniscience of all things Magic

Is satin tower the ultimate deckbox or should I spend few more bux on Ultra Pro M2?

It's thinner than I expected it to be but I still don't like it. It's just bad design imo because what problems does it solve? If there was confusion between rules and flavor text they could've just spaced it like on the card without the line. More things in the textbox is not better. Also, the flavor text is already in italics. How does it look with several lines of rules text and one line of flavor text?
Idk, I just don't see what design problem this is solving and find it unelegant for a stylistic change.

I'm not a fan of the mana pool omission either. Nothing ruleswise changes, the mana pool still exists and empties as phases end, so a new player would learn the concept anyway to understand it.

I may have gotten a defective product but I fucking hate trying to open this shit, and it scratches the sides while trying to push up the top part so whenever it's open it looks like scratched shit on the sides

bottom part is loose as hell though, no problem there

The doctor knows what's best for you.

Daily reminder

As a fan of the M15 frame and visibility improvements in general, I like it conceptually but it's gonna take a second to get used to.

Legion deckboxes are pretty good if don't need a dice tray. They are only about $3.50 on their site and easily hold 75 cards double sleeved.

Funny thing is that I don't really see the problem in omitting mana pool. It feels weird at first, but it makes sense. I mean, spells don't tell you to put them on the stack, so why should mana have to tell you where to add them?

What game-winning things can I do in RB? I'm playing Minotaurs and it's almost impossible to win through combat and there's not enough reliability to fish for combos.

75 cards. Found the mistake.

Yeah that's fair. I'm thinking now that basic lands also had the change of the mana pool line to just the mana symbol. The flavor text line still has me rustled I guess.

Should I watch some Netflix wank or do poppers and brew a new deck?

youtu.be/RggOcNE3-t0

Turn fatties into minotaurs and win through combat anyways.

Who finds crap like this funny?

Probably the same people that watch e-celebs scream at horror games, I watched it cause of the idea of a minotaurs themed deck, despite it just being a modified sneak & show.

For EDH, Satin Tower is the ultimate. Holds 100 double sleeved, reasonable price, very durable, good feel, stackable.

Echoing this user UltraPro Satin Tower is great for my DoubledSleeved commander decks

4GG
Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
0/0
Reach, trample
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar gets +1/+1 for each land you control and each land card in your graveyard.
1G, Return two lands you control to their owner's hand: Return Multani from your graveyard to your hand.

This is your right deck.

> holds 100 double sleeved

Oh shit, I didn't realize they were that roomy.

Carrion Feeder in Hapatra y/n?

AniMorph Tribal

It's a tight fit at that, but it works.

Multani in a land based deck sounds fun.

Please give us ninjitsu.commander

Something like that would've made it into the release notes.

Come on bruh

Who is the better big mana general?

Neither shitter

I wonder what he's doing with his 4.5 months to live.

The waifu.

gonti, although you do need to commit to reanimation if you run him

gonti, easily.

Drana can do different shenanigans than gonti, but gonti gets to play other peoples decks.

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain
2UR
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
3/3
Whenever you cast a historic spell, draw a card. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

How do you make this interesting and not just artifact goodstuff (which is the most redundant concept in all of MTG)?

cheerios, cheap artifacts that pay for themselves, etc

I had a reki deck that was ridiculous for storming out in mono green. That gives you an even better color combination for it, with a wider trigger condition. It's a ridiculous storm card.

Storm with a side of Eggs.

Big izzet spell bombs powered by every rock in the world.

Did tiny leaders last like a month? I remember hearing people hyping it and then almost instantly it was said to be dead.

It got solved very quickly.

There has to be a way to make this guy combo ascommander right guys? Plus he seems like he could do politics good, or is it just me?

Any commander that dodges the command tax is at least alright.

Combo with Wound Reflection and anything you can do to give your opponents life.

bitterblossom means you can turn life into commander tax, strionic resonator means you can do it faster.

>Playing Daxos the Returned
>Opponent playing Ulrich
>Cast Grasp of fate and stasis snare on his werewolves and smash face with spirits.
>Opponent switches to Ur Dragon
>Cast O ring on one of his dragons.
>Opponent casts a thing that destroys all non land except 1
>I cast Open the gates.
>Opponent rage quits because my deck has “too much removal” and isn’t fun.
Wat.

Way better in the 99 practically anywhere.

"Get In The Bag"Tribal is one of the funnest ways to play blaxos desu senpai

Over/Under on Helm of the Host getting banned?

Why do people worship Bitterblossom? It's a "forces you to pay life each turn, then you get a small 1/1 fairy". Is it because of combo possibilities or what?

Jhoira's Eggs sounds fun. Also, are we getting a new Weatherlight?

The power and toughness mean dick, the body is prime and ready for sacrifice