Compilation of medieval bestiaries:
bestiary.ca/

Middle ages worldbuilding tools:
www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
qzil.com/kingdom/
lucidphoenix.com/dnd/demo/kingdom.asp
mathemagician.net/Town.html

Thread question:
>Most fantasy settings have active deities, but were they involved in the creation of your world or did they come later? Is it part of your GM-ing style/worldbuilding methodology that players can alter the state and forms of the world, or is that limited to reality-warping magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

kendelyzer.wordpress.com/2017/12/24/grimwyrd-a-campaign-primer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Opinions on clichés and how to avoid them/ make them work well?

>start with princess in tower.
>change it up, it's now a male mage, opposed to the King, that's imprisoned, guarded by a good aligned dragon that's convinced the King's rule is good (it's not)
>seems good, interesting opposed factions
>starts to seem like a sausage party, make the mage female
>Why is the mage evil? What does she want to do?
>decide she wants to be Queen
>Makes the most sense and is even more interesting if she's actually heir to the throne
>mfw I've doubled back on the princess in the tower cliché

Do I just leave it like this? I'm kinda on edge that when the players first find out about her, before they realize she's actually a mage and evil, etc., it'll just seem like the princess in the tower.

It sounds pretty cliche, but you've at least thought through WHY it is the way it is, which is in my mind redeeming.

Think like a woman, give her better motivations and varied paths to complete her interests. Why just be a queen if she can find a way to be eternally young and beautiful and worrshipped as a goddess?

>Fantasy setting in roughly Renaissance era tech, with magitech taking the place of more advanced real-life technologies
>Designing a somewhat large manor/keep/mine, previously owned by dwarves
>The keep is in the mountains, but has a fresh water supply via a well (and supplemented by a PC having a Decanter of Endless Water)
The keep is designed to be staffed by a somewhat large number of people, with running water and baths inside for the high ranking staff but I'm not sure to go about basic hygiene for the outside workers. I'd just have a simple stall with water that's heated up, but the keep has room for around a full 50-70 staff on average, with room for more, outside the manor itself as soldiers, guards, miners, craftsmen, etc.

Would it make sense to have a full-size bathhouse/sauna? How much should people in your typical fantasy setting even be bathing, assuming it's based off Renaissance era Europe? How many bathtubs/showers would you need for that much staff?

Those can be her long term goals for sure, but at the moment she's "just" trapped.
It's also very unlikely she'll be able to bring these plans to fruition, as the players are looking to replace the King with their own candidate. So atm at best I'm looking at a recurring villain that seeks to kill the Empress (by then).

Renaissance Europe is a big place, so that's an unhelpful descriptor. Cleanliness is whatever you need it to be. Assume that the local Clerics have been warned by the God of Health and Safety that washing themselves regularly will keep the plague at bay or something if you want. A full sized bath house and sauna will be as big as it will be. As long as it's plausible for a tenth to a quarter of the servants can bath there at once, it's fine.

Historically bathing declined considerably during the Renaissance in Western Europe, less so in Scandinavia and Russia. That is entirely cultural though and the Medieval Europe actually had a thriving bathing tradition since it was both enjoyable and was associated with the Romans.

Theres no reason why you couldn't have baths in the fortress, especially if water supply and heateing are handled by magic. The most likely arrangement would be communal baths and sauna. For 50-100 people one room with a few hot and cold multi-person tubs that together can fit about 10 or 15 people along with a small steam room is plenty.

It's a social activity to relax with friends and groom each other. The most important people might have private tubs in their apartments or a VIP shared bathing space that an invite to is a mark of honor and trust.

>Renaissance Europe is a big place
Yeah I'm thinking basing it off Renaissance Italy as far as tech/populations go, but using more of a 18th century swiss architecture mixed with Brutalism as a "Dwarven" look- the buildings themselves are all made of giant stone blocks with very little, if any, detailed decoration engraved in them, (Originally being a Dwarven manor/mine for a military type with no patience for the typical Dwarf gaudiness), instead the only cosmetics being banners and such placed by the now primarily human occupants.

Finnish and other northern countries having saunas is what made me first consider a full-size bathouse, since it'd also be easier to make a hot water system with the tech/magitech level if it only needs to really fit in one building (apart from the manor itself, with private baths).

Could also just handwave and say there's a hot spring there, though I don't know enough about geology to know if it'd make sense for there to be a hot spring halfway up a mountain.

If it has to serve the wider community and not just the keep then a full sized bathouse with magitech heating is definately the way to go. Is this something the humans built or are they using dwarven plumbing that already existed? If it fits with the outlook of the militaristic dwarf with spartan tastes, then the Minoan palace of Knossos on Crete had some pretty stunning indoor plumbing for such an ancient culture.

A hot spring up a mountain would usually impy that the mountain actually a volcano. Magic is probably simpler unless you dig the idea of a dormant volcano.

Well the "keep" is really more like a small town in itself- I figure, at maximum capacity, it could probably house 200-250 people (Including soldiers, miners, craftsmen, etc.), though with the current buildings it'd be squeezing quite a bit- at "normal" capacity it's usually meant to have 70 or so people total. This pretty much is the entire wider community for the moment as it's situated off the beaten path up a mountain, but still enough people I think it warrants it's own building, especially since even dirty peasant miners probably want a way to wash all the grime off after a day digging for ore.

I'm figuring it'll probably also be Dwarf made, with all the current buildings being the original ones of the keep with plenty of room for expansion should the party decide to invest in it. Easy enough to just say that Mr. Spartan Lifesyle Dorf demanded his employees keep themselves as clean as the floors and walls of his manor.

Do you have the other maps for britannia? I really love the style.

So the crux of my setting's is that in the far future we have developed far, far better sustainable technologies than what we have now.

Obviously solar panels will be one of the technologies, but what do you guys think would be a better choice for a hard (for the most part) sci-fi setting:

>Simply put, better manufactured solar panels using alternative elements (as opposed to silicon or cadmium-telluride) or even brand-new elements altogether

Or

>Advanced biotechnology by using specially-made panels "infused" (for a lack of a better term) with genetically-engineered algae.

biotech sounds more interesting and opens up interesting possibilities - e.g. a disease that specifically targets that algae, or one that causes those algae to accumulate electric charge and then fry the panel with randomly released surges

>disease that specifically targets that algae
>the only cure for the disease is a specific plant found by a big-name adventurer
>this explorer takes a party (the PCs) with them out to grab more samples so they can cultivate it
>disaster strikes, and the explorer is killed, but not before leaving the PCs notes to the place where he found the plant

That's a good idea.

>Most fantasy settings have active deities, but were they involved in the creation of your world or did they come later? Is it part of your GM-ing style/worldbuilding methodology that players can alter the state and forms of the world, or is that limited to reality-warping magic?
Little is known about the creator gods. Most civilizations have some kind of "sky father" belief about the creator. The creator god or gods created a race of demigods to rule over the world as they moved on to create infinitely more universes. These demigods comprise the main pantheon and have the most influence on the world. There are thousands of these spirits, at varying levels of power, but over time many have neglected their duties as custodians of the world. Only a few of the powerful deities remain as allies to mortals, and overall divine involvement in the world is only slightly more present than it is in real life.

semi-worldbuilding, semi-system question

it is generally a science fantasy setting

there is a group of individuals bestowed with special powers - basically demigods

in addition to powers they get powerful flaws (like arrogance, or kryptonite, or something) and rather prominent marks (e.g. glowing eyes, red right hand, stuff like that)

the question is - would it better for marks and flaws be tied to powers bestowed upon them (as side effects) or completely random?

I feel that they would be better if the marks were tied to race (or your equivalent of such) and flaws be either tied to class (or your equivalent of such) or random

I'll just dump some info to straighten it up for myself and for any C&C you can offer.

>Huge-ass universe, thousands of galaxies.
>Shaped like World Tree encased in crystal sphere with Great Machine outside
>Norse gods provide inner workings of the universe, govern mortals and stuff
>Egyptian gods live outside the Wold Tree and maintain the universe ticking and stuff
>World Machine and its avatar Ananke is still above them all and keeps them all working
>There a parasitic lovecraftian undead universe, referred to as Niddhogr, Apep and Tiamat in various aspects, that attacks the World Tree and operates on different set of laws
>Its naturally ruled by twisted evil Sumerian gods

>Milky Way is part of Midgard, where most humans dwell and where life spread from to the rest of the universe, hence most aliens look like humans
>Technology and magic long since reached singularity and outpaced anything earthly; miniature suns and black holes are used as batteries, for instance; laser is equivalent of a sharpened stick
>FTL is obviously ubiquitous as fuck
>Time Travel is limited but still possible and rather common, if difficult
>Players are powerful individuals of various types that end up drawn into the space-shattering conflict

>The problem is that Ra is reaching the end of his journey and will descend into Duat
>without Ra's rays the universe will freeze and descend into darkness
>normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but Tiamat and its denizens are not beholden to the laws of this universe, so they will be able to devour the universe unopposed

>Examples of powerful beings that players can be:
>1) Actual demigods and divine avatars
>2) Demons and angels
>3) Simply powerful alien species / mythical creatures (like norse elves)
>3) Gifted (mortals empowered by other means - vampires, werewolves, cyborgs, possessed, mutants, symbiotes, etc)
>4) Constructs (golems, sentient robots, frankenstein monsters, etc)
>5) Just plain awesome mortals (think Xena or Bruce Lee)

>Flight (more like wuxia jumping at lower levels), Retrostep (ability to rewind 3 seconds back), limited precognition and telepathy are rather common skills

>gear, outside truly powerful artefact stuff, doesn't really matter - WHO wields what is much more important
>and in case of artefacts the meaning and legend behind them are much more important than actual quality - e.g. Excalibur is still one of the top weapons in the universe despite shitty medieval steel is generally like paper compared to materials available to such powerful beings
>everyone uses swords and spears, ranged weapons are barely used, aside from few extremely powerful ones

>The setting as whole is supposed to be kinda poetic/phylosophical stuff, heavily inspired by Zelazni, namely "Creatures of Light and Darkness" and "Lord of Light"
>Powers that players gain will just as often be non-combat as combat, and even combat ones will have metaphorical use (e.g. ability to Cut With Anything allows a hero to break a person with sharp words as well)
>whole game is supposed to be heavy on metaphors
>System will be without hitpoints and mostly narrative (e.g. attack doesn't deal 2d6 damage, it pulls a card number 2d6 that says that you break every bone in the limb hit and knock the enemy to the ground)

>Thread question

If this question even comes up at all, I usually structure the answer to keep the players from altering the physical laws too much. If there is anyone actually capable of overturning reality, they're usually an antagonist. You have to constrain your protagonists somewhat, because a game without challenge--a game where the players can just do everything--quickly loses its excitement.

It's like Garry's Mod; you can have fun with all the physics breaking and ragdoll-tossing for a while, but without a goal or overarching structure, it gets boring real quick.

Tell me about your gods, /wbg/.

Are they omnipotent and omnipresent? More limited in scale? Are they alone or part of a pantheon? From whence do they derive their power? And most importantly, what makes them worthy of worship?

You can live and die as much as the money allows. What's the economical impact of it?
What kind of job would suffer if death is now question of how much money you have?
The shitty pic related is the rules applied for "immortality".

>How do you prove...
Stop, Yes, I know. The idea of soul is an lie. The brain itself is our conscience.
But I wanna go a bit more fantasy than fiction. This fact ruins the fun for the fantasy.

Attached: file.png (720x1698, 648K)

What...is that picture?

How do you guys go about making the actual shape of your world? Whenever I start making a map, it just comes out as a dumb amorphous blob

I'm talking about continents

well deathsport (deathforsport?) would become a thing

my big question is would you get death insurance, poors pooling their money for resurrection

you'd get everyone deserves to reborn groups funding reanimation(?) through charity

ultimately it would be like your picture, massively available and affordable.

I think there would also be an industry of revive-for-slavery, aka death-debtors where you invest in souls rebirth and then they have to "pay" their debts by working.

massive trauma suicide would become a thing (can I get fucked enough to get out for real)

basically
>work minimum wage
>buy death as needed
>under that rely on social safety nets
>above wageslave buy insurance pools plus some recreational death
>rich playground in the world (shooting spree costs less than the gun...)

but I suspect you haven't actually thought about this at all have you

you could try not drawing dumb amorphous blobs.

Attached: pizza.jpg (449x404, 15K)

>I think there would also be an industry of revive-for-slavery, aka death-debtors where you invest in souls rebirth and then they have to "pay" their debts by working.
Great idea! I was thinking about Karoshi as something usual but This is one step beyond.
I also think into a possibility to erase all the memory and reborn as new person, but inheriting money from previous life.

>my big question is would you get death insurance, poors pooling their money for resurrection
Death insurance is Life insurance, right? I think there is more possibility of ending this and making pay certain amount per month and die as much as you want.
But I think this won't be cheap.
Ultimately, I think destroying stuff could be more dangerous because you could get sued and lose money.

Yes, I know. My drawing is a shit.
Basically I tried to explain the set of rules for specific kind of immortality.

1. You die, you become a ghost. No exception.
2. You can ressurect/respawn yourself going to a public hospital. (NO COPY OF YOURSELF)
3. You need to buy permission to ressurect aka extra life. Like pic related.
4. It takes 30 minutes to make an full grown body. (You can change your sex, race, whatever. The soul have a ID.)
5. You can transfer your extra life to another person.

I tried to avoid walltexting this because my english sucks.

Ah, I thought it was from a comic or something

World: Boltzmann Brain. An gigantic crystal computer born in middle of entropy.
It emulate multiverses. It is basically pic related in middle of death space.
Since it is an computer, magic exists inside those emulation of multiverses.

Gods: Artificial Intelligences inside the Boltzmann Brain.
They have superior clearances that allows them to become Gods.
Each one of they administrate their own emulation of a dimension.
Ordinary person in those emulations can become a God.
The only thing he needs is a clearances given by God.
Because ordinary lives are also artificial intelligences.

Attached: file.png (512x352, 319K)

What could be some of the consequences of having a setting where the universe resets every so often, but lets some things carry over at random?

>Tell me about your gods, /wbg/.
There are Allfather and the Enemy (name not final)
They are unlike other gods, they are driving forces of good and evil (or rather preservation and destruction of the world)

There are also twelve gods embodying various principles of the world.

There is also a whole bunch of Powers, lesser deities.

>Are they omnipotent and omnipresent? More limited in scale?
Allfather is omnipresent, but far from omnipotent. Most of his juice goes on keeping the Enemy chained.

Enemy isn't omnipresent, for He is chained in the heart of the world. His power reaches everywhere though, subtly corrupting and twisting everything.

Gods are omnipresent and almost almighty in their spheres. However for truly mythical feats they have to manifest.

Powers normally have physical bodies and while their powers are great they can only affect the world around themselves.

>Are they alone or part of a pantheon?
If Gods ever interact with each other, mortals know nothing about it.

>From whence do they derive their power?
Allfather and the Enemy ARE power.
Gods are embodiment of their spheres, they have no external power source.
Powers' sources of power differ. Most draw power from the Faerie, some from human worship, some from the gods, some from deaths.

>And most importantly, what makes them worthy of worship?
They are quite active. They listen to prayers and they answer.
Allfather is a dominant deity in part of the world because He saved humans from an endless tide of demons, destroying the fiends with a tremendous storm of lightning, healing the soldiers and then speaking to them.

Goddess of War sometimes takes human shape and sleeps with great warlords, to produce demigods who would wage more war.

>Most fantasy settings have active deities, but were they involved in the creation of your world or did they come later?
I went TES route and nobody knows. There's a bunch of conflicting myths.

Please help out
For the moment, i have this "high concept": "necromancer detective"
As in, i want to set up a detective mystery that is being investigated by a necromancer.
How to approach that?

What i kind of got at the moment
1) the crime must be big. Murder, or multiple murder. Better yet, it should be grand
2) maybe it caused the fall of a country, and the Necromancer is trying to find out why t fell
3) there should be limits to what magic can achieve here. "open window in time to see what really happened" is right out. "Call souls of everyone involved and make them tell complete truth of events" as well... although if it can be set up - in a "detective lays out everything in the end" sort-of way, then it is acceptable
4) to reiterate: there should have passed some time for most involved to die out and rule out regilar investigation. For crime scene not to be too disturbed, "fall of a country" is needed(maybe not?..)
5) how can a murder or multiple murder cause the fall of a country? "Fisher king" effect? Unchecked rampant monsters? Daemonic invasion?..Mass curse (sleeping beauty style)? Other magical calamity?..
6) what detective can serve as the model? I remember some Christie book, where Poiro solves the case by reading number of letters of people involved

Go back to here
>>starts to seem like a sausage party
And just make the King be a Queen instead

>It's OC

LMAO would read more

I went a similar route. My setting's cosmology is a mess, and due to the nature of the world, none of it is entirely false.

What do you guys think of Grimwyrd? I have it mostly described here on my blog

kendelyzer.wordpress.com/2017/12/24/grimwyrd-a-campaign-primer/

I am working on cribbing together a setting for a wargame I'm working on, and ultimately am going for something that is more WHFB-ish in terms of being "our world, exaggerated." Originally, the thought process was "what if WHFB was based on Graeco-Roman mythology and Harryhausen films instead of Tolkien and Moorcock" and yet I still wanted guns and all.

So then I decided to create a cosmology that was based on "Old Ones/Men of Gold", the problem being that humans and other races were being engineered as a new weapon to stop the forces of entropy, yet the gods couldn't decide on how humans were to actually be implemented, and so humans have a fractured racial memory/differing creation myths.

I don't know if I want to actually have Orcs in my setting; I know Jason's journeys have the story of Cadmus sowing the dragon's teeth and causing the Spartoi to emerge from the ground. What I do know is I want the idea of a setting where the analogues for the Romans, Carthage, and the remnants of the Seleucid Empire to have all expanded/survived, and have entered in a lensman arms race where they're at 1600s+steam tech-level now, even if the "culture"/doctrine hasn't changed as much. So, you have musket cohorts, da vinci-esque "testudo" tanks, etc. Magic is "ritual" /ceremonial rather than functional, though certain humans are known as Artisans/vessels for Genius.

I also like the idea of NotGermania having advanced along the time; NotCaesar "went native" with his Legions (To which NotVarro goes "Caesar, give Rome back its Legions"), and in the centuries afterwards a fourth nation appears, the Kaiserreik (devolved from Caesar Rex)," which is a mashup of assorted "German Barbarian" archetypes alongside "Militaristic Prussian" tropes; think the Goths in Asterix, swords and pickelhaubes.

Although the tech level is roughly at flintlock level, the minnie ball has not been invented yet. Airguns do exist as a "special forces" weapon throughout, the legacy of The Library. Computing tech is roughly antikythera-mechanism in its level; software programming is more "gearpunk" than punched-card, and primarily used for civil engineering (calculating how much concrete is needed for a particular project, etc).
As for nonhumans, no Elves at the moment, though "Fair folk" may make it as a faction later/a part of NotCelt lore.

Halflings (Pygmies in Greek myth, but I don't like using the name due to...its unfortunate association) are fiercely territorial, taking on a more "survivalist" bent; in-game, they play as a "tunnel rat" faction, with a mix of traps, ambushing, expert slingers (and maybe slingshots, despite their anachronistic nature), but their most notable threat are goat-mounted archers; I imagine "Ram Bows" would be their nickname, as painful a pun as that is.

Kokoli (notKobolds) are treated as "pets" by the strong, while Automatae/Silvermen are about tech first. They're both indeterminate, as well as creatures like the Cyclops, Centaur or Satyr. I do imagine the Cyclopean races will have assorted "eye-related" powers, even if Skorne already does that.

The notDwarfs are more inspired by Homeworld, Dune, and other "nomad exodus" stories. Part of it was due to the fact that Dwarf holds in WHFB are called Karaks, and Karak=Kharak, so the whole idea of Dwarfs being exiles since their Karak was Burning just was too much fun. That, and I like the idea of a Dwarf army that's "fast and fragile" as opposed to the slow anvil they're usually depicted as. Rather than having majestic Moria-like holds, their culture has evolved from old refugee caravans of repurposed mining equipment/carts, to the point they now have steam-powered sandcrawlers with dune-skiffs and gyrocopters as scouts/outriders. But they are known for having tamed sandworms.

So I just started getting into Rance, the eroge game series by Alicesoft, and holy fuck this is some insane world-building.

>The world is one landmass carried on the backs of 6 giant animals, three of whom are an elephant, a crocodile, and Yamata-no-Orochi.
>It was created by the great white whale Ludorathowm because he was bored one day, and all life exists solely for his amusement.
>Because of this, if the world starts being "boring" he declares ragnarok and has the gods start over again. This has happened three times, and each time the gods have to remake the world so that its people suffer more
to satisfy the whale.
>"A country dies out here, a town is crushed there...But then a new one is being made elsewhere. Yeah...Maybe I should cause an earthquake next time...It'd be great to make it happen the moment a town's construction is finished, when they're all happy..."

Attached: map311.jpg (910x529, 426K)

Bump.

Gimme your best in-universe drinks and drinking songs.

Attached: beer.jpg (600x750, 81K)

>Death insurance is Life insurance, right? I

No there would be resurrection insurance, pooled money in case of accidental death not otherwise covered. Which means you can't jump off a cliff while fucking a dog for shits and have insurance apply. It's pooled insurance against accident only.

Then you'd have personal harm insurance so if you killed someone with your car or they died on your property, etc. your insurance would cover their rez costs, lost wages, etc. basically personal injury shit but extended to death. This would apply to yourself too.

Then you'd have privately funded "deaths", where you bought one or two as a backup in case your insurance ruled that you did something to not be covered. Kind of like having a condom in your wallet, it's never going to happen but it's still a backup to the backup.

Next is just wanton death, where you buy a groupon and all go die or murder 20 people and just pay for their resurrections at cost.

Basically it would become an experience, ticket price at a concert would include getting murdered during the drum solo, battlefield reinactments would be more real, and the aforementioned shoot everyone to blow off steam.

Departments of health and safety wouldn't exist either, I mean why have seatbelt standards if it's cheaper to just be remade.

I think the real problem with all this is you made it too cheap and too fast. $100 (5 for $450 at Al's Rez eporium!) is slightly decent drug tier, hardly a deterrant, and if it only takes a half hour- hell I'd just suicide everytime I needed to take a bad shit, it would be faster, easier and cheaper.

I mean you probably made a fey-like society where nothing has any worth or value, because life doesn't, and the only thing you can't do is get out. Really seriously harsh consequences (and huge profits!) would probably exist for those who fell through the lazefaire nets and wound up in deathers-prison.

Been working on my Not!Chaos Gods
Mostly just descriptions,
The Chaos Princes
Sa'Hadriel > Red & Brass skinned warrior, glows with oily inner flame, hollow body & empty eyes. He burrowed his army up through Hell to war with the Holy City of Al-Solomis
Lokiel > Snakeskinned shapechanger. Can be any number of guises but his true form may be that of a colossal bluish serpent/drake. Plays with the plots of nobles & commoners alike
Urshiel> A jovial monster, large & muscular but with a bit of a paunch everything he touches thrives with parasites, cancer, & bile. Currently leading a bloated horde against the immortal elves of Slyvania
Ch'Adiel> One entity with two bodies. One male, one female, both are incredibly beautiful & are the masculine & feminine ideal of physical/sexual perfection. Tempts mortals into debauchery, has creepy incest?masturbatory? sex with itself. Chills on the Pleasure Isles, taking drugs & hanging out with hedonistic pirates. Except all mortals into their arms

Here is pic of their symbols
Top Left, The Cauldron of Life (also insemination) - Urshiel
Top Right, The Guilded Trident ( also man & woman together) - Ch'Adiel
Bottom Left, The Eternal Serpent (I'm trying for something a bit better) Lokiel
Bottom Right,The Spear that Pierces Heaven (Also a volcano) Sa'Hadiel

Attached: b0e0d618-fb7b-4e7f-8cf1-4845327a998f.png (1200x1920, 518K)

How do I into coastlines?

Check out Cartographers Guild tutorial section, plenty of good stuff there.

What are some good "realistic" sounding names for a race of bird people? I want to write them into my setting, but I can't seem to come up with a good name. For reference, I have cat people called Felids, and my lizardfolk are called Saurians. Avian just doesn't sound good to me. Pls help.

take word "skeksis" and mangle it somehow

Tengu? Shrikes?

>deities
Debatable. I recently decided to overhaul a Soft SciFi / Sci-Fantasy setting I've been on and off working on. In the original concept I had three beings one could consider Gods.

>The Seraphim
Literally fuckhuge humanoids that appear to be a cross between Evangelion Angels, Galactus, and those dead deities from the K6BD comic. Beyond ancient, beyond mysterious. Prone to messing with individuals and turning them into Heralds (in-universe cleric/warlock type description). Only thing they say about themselves is they are guilty of a sin beyond comprehension, and so do not move other than to empower mortals. Some are large enough to be major stellar bodies.
>The Dragon
More a trickster archetype than an outright devil, the Dragon is a mysterious shadow-presence from dimensions unseen. He(?) seems to enjoy chaos, the simple act of rebellion and miscalculation. He is often prayed to by space-voyagers hoping to avoid his ire. Seems to spend time in the dimension utilized by Wormholes and subspace drives. Often will take the shape of what one perceives as a Deal-with-the-Devil archetype.
>The Gnostic Lords
Beings of pure psionic / psychic will. Seem to be a gestalt entity composed of everyone, ever. Certain powerful minds appear to keep their shape and personality after death, or else merge with others to become towering bastions of psychic energy. This alliance of gestalt consciousnesses appears to desire other follow their teaching in order to join them in psychic harmony. Might just be trying to eat souls, research unclear.

Not happy about the names. Will take any advice/feedback. Rate?

Attached: 1466150380919.jpg (774x1032, 194K)

My character acquired a griffon egg, and being a knight from a city that more or less specializes in cavalry, wants to raise it into his steed. I know most rules for all that, but additionally my DM grants a little extra XP for short stories or art between dungeons, and I was going to write one about the hatching ect.

I really just need info on griffon hatchlings for my story(and later gameplay). how big are they, what do they eat, lions and eagles are born blind so...

I could make this up myself, but I'd like some insight from people who may have done this sort of thing.

Has anyone used Worldographer/Hexographer 2? How good is it compared to original Hexographer?

The first hurdle is the growth rate. It would take years to have a gryphon grow large enough to ride, and even having it as a battle-companion would take a year or two at least. That's if you are comparing it to similarly large mammals, being fantastic creatures they could mature super fast but that might be a bit cheesy depending on the tone of the game and what not.

Gryphons traditonally have a liking for horsemeat, so once it's large enough having it chase down condemmed horses could make an interesting alternative fate to the glue factory. Until it can hunt for itself, butchered livestock to simulate the mothers catch. Intially pulped to simulate regurgitation given the eagles head. Mostly medium animals such as sheep or goats with the odd cow or horse as a treat.

Size is entirely upto you, but both raptors and big cats have very small young that are pretty helpless at birth. A rideable Gryphon is much larger than even a tiger but the pattern would suggest something that weighed 5kg or less and was no larger than a big adult domestic cat. Again, if your Gryphons are especially large when fully grown and you want them to mature fast then bumping things up to rhino or elephant calf size would be a way forward that makes them useful companions much sooner.

Start with drawing plate tectonics.

Bump

thanks mate, this sounds pretty good.

I did belatedly realise some time after replying that the size of the egg you found would determine the size of the hatchling. Not exact dimensions, but carrying something the size of an ostrich egg is very different from hauling a monster egg containing a baby rhino. Depending on how things were described in the adventure, that might set the rough boundaries on the creatures size at birth.

Look at falconry for training and handrearing Birds of Prey. It should give more details and flavour to work with. Once it's large enough a mix of falconry and warhorse training could approximate the mix of hunting, riding and general battle training it would need. Not attacking livestock when it's not supposed to, and not attacking anyone it's not familiar with once battletraining sets (look at Late Medieval warhorses for equine berserkers) would be two milestones in it's development later on.

I spent way too long on this

Attached: symbols.png (7200x1920, 5.52M)

>egg containing a baby rhino

Attached: ah_uh.gif (350x197, 1.6M)

I think his point was to imply the first two images. The snake & the volcano thing is a bit of a push though. Good work with the pic user

First time making my own world, I'm thinking about a classical D&D medieval world, but with a 1984esque twist.
The current government (or king) is trying to make sure it can stay in power forever, and for that they want to make sure that they are the only ones that have access to powerful magic.
To do it they are secretly kidnapping/killing any arcane casters above a certain power level, and offering for the general population rewards for any magical creature (basically anything you can't find in the real world) with the excuse that those creatures are not natural, and are actually the creation of a powerfull wizard that used to rule the world centuries ago (a lie that has been repeated so much that most of the population believe in it now)
The PC's would start doing hunting missions for the government and eventually they would be contacted and maybe recruited by a group of rebels.

What do you guys thing? Could it work? What could be added? What should be removed?

I want to do an Antediluvian/Sword and Sandal/Post apocalyptic kind of thing with warring kingdoms, wide swaths of primordial wilderness, monsters, barbarian tribes, active gods and fallen angels... You know. Thing is, the best references are Howard, Gilgamesh, and a small part of the book of Genesis.

Did the Torah go into any more detail about the Antediluvian world? There's something about the setting that just fascinates me.

Book of Enoch. It's apophrica, but it talks about the world's first city & such

I am Chad Forger of Worlds, of course it is terrible, but like the movie the Room, it is fascinating & draws you in. Honestly I just love that you guys get into my setting enough to even comment.

I changed up the Serpent just a hair. Not worth reposting it til another thread. I've also made up the "Not!Chaos Undivided" symbol. Tell me what you think. There is something cool that works well with it that I won't reveal just yet.

Attached: 1b62a83b-e4a2-430a-8320-2caf8dae691b.png (1200x1920, 335K)

Attached: wbg yeah its pretty much like that.png (911x1289, 1.54M)

I may use this instead of namefagging in future posts

How the fuck do you map galaxies? I can't seem to do realistic right, and my "artistic" ones don't have the right vibe.

Attached: 1514098347151.jpg (5000x5000, 2.79M)

What're some alternatives to the Great Wheel cosmology?

Most recent attempt. What does /wbg/ think?

Attached: map 4 huh.jpg (3300x2550, 875K)

if its based off ngc-1300, lol we got the same shape bud

Astral Eggs Over Easy

Betrayed by his jealous brother Poseidon, Zeus has been overthrown and killed by his father Kronos.
The Titans have re-assumed dominion over Olympus, divinity and the universe.
The Olympians have been cast out and have lost their immortality and nearly all of their godly powers, humans have given them a new name: elves.

This is the best way to do it, but also the most difficult of course.
The next-best thing is to have one true origin story of the setting, but nobody in-setting knows for sure, but there are plenty of conflicting myths/religions. And optionally, nobody has guessed correctly.

>What do you guys thing

I am not sure actually.

My basic premise is that the Gods people worship are basically immortal magic Dictators.

I am not sure what happened with the actual Gods.

I haven't really put in much thought into the faiths of my setting due to its sci-fi nature.

Probably the setting has the same faiths we have now, more or less.

Tips for creating a world similar to interwar europe?

Consume media set in or made during the period. Consume histories of the period.

What elements you want to focus on will naturally have a big impact on what the setting ends up like; works based around the rise of facism, the Spanish or Russian Civil Wars, Miss Marple detective stories, Dada art, Tintin and pulp adventurers, or 1920s German Expressionist film are going to feel very different from each other. If you want something informed by the historical period as a whole then studying history is the only real way forward, whether that is through books, wikipedia or watching documentaries.

One thing you can't escape except in the most lighthearted fiction is the legacy of WW1. Ancient empires collapsed and were replaced by new nation states, many families across many countires lost at least one loved one and a whole generation of young men was decimated, a vast swathe of men had military training and experience, PTSD affects many former soldiers but is not understood or talked about candidly for the most part. It's a time of great social and political turmoil as the old order starts to unwind after the war. Both hedonistic subcultures and mass political movements gain traction as reactions against the societal trauma and aftershocks. How you play all that is up to you, but without the Great War interbellum Europe is almost unrecognisable.

perfect

wtf are you doing

Bad change?

Really? Show me yours.

I did go the one true origin story route. The origin of the world is that it was written into existence by the ink of the void. So the vatious beliefs are true, because the World Book says they are true.

What would an Undead Ottoman Empire look like?

I love your Celestial Bakery Universe. All your designs should all float around together even if your players don't go to the other galaxies

Not a terrible idea. Here's another one.

Attached: map 5.jpg (3300x2550, 870K)

Like the Ottoman Empire

Is there nothing that they've dicovered in the deeps of space that has radically changed our current religions, nor introduced a new belief system into the religious stage?

Redoing the space nations. Red is the Commonwealth 50's scifi, Green is the Archonate Dune+Psykers+Jedi, Purple is Syndicate ghost in the shell, Blue is the Alliance Firefly, but not as evil, Grey is the Grays, and Gold is the Heraldry DC New Gods.

Attached: color test 1.jpg (3300x2550, 1005K)

Nope, unless you count the shiny new planet they landed on.

Really I feel it's best if it's left at the player's discretion.

Reminds me of my old attempts at sci-fi worldbuilding.

Attached: GalacticMap.jpg (2400x2290, 2.63M)

The Runny Egg, like the way we say The Milky Way. I hope you have all names remembered to add.

Sorry for the shit question. He is the polished version.
I have a spot on my map that is basically the Ottoman Empire, but I don't actually know that much about the Ottoman Empire aside from base aesthetics. I also want to add some undead to my game. I figured I could bolster my uninspired Ottoman-lite country with some nice skeleboys but I would like to know the best way to implement it, &
I'd appreciate it if anyone would be willing to give me a few pointers.

Just google search it, fampai. Shit's on twitter.

>NGC-1300
Holy shit, that's rad as fuck. Ended up getting tricked into making a sci-fi setting as part of a random project where I'm looting a flash game with a confusingly workable and deep LCG, and a barrel spiral galaxy seems like a perfect way to do something interestingly unique with the galactic world-building. Thanks, baka-desu.

I figured I'd ask here since I don't want to make a Map thread only for a request. Does anyone have a download of the full version of Other World Mapper? It's supposed to be DRM free. Sorry if I'm being a bother.

I actually think Rance has some great worldbuilding behind it, mostly because it's not a setting meant to be taken seriously but it manages to take the humor and balance it against a pretty grimdark setting. It reminds me of old Warhammer 40k.

>Souls gradually get polluted by life experiences
>To purify them souls have to be tortured in Hell until they forget all their experiences and can be sent back to the Creator to be reborn
>The Creator is a troll and all the gods are in on the joke that life only exists to suffer

Never heard of it. Is there no link in the OP?

Unless the tutorials include a list of pirated mapmaking tools, there is not.