Ideas for Horror/Unsettling settings

Other urls found in this thread:

100777.com/nwo/barbarians
youtube.com/watch?v=yJLhnts9-oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=t7-BX4bWYvg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know if this is what you want, but I have a list of ideas that i've been working on, mostly borrow from and inspired by things i've read on Veeky Forums and tried to adapt for my Dark-Heresy game.

Would you like me to post some of them?

You really should post a few yourself OP.

not op but yes

I do.

I have no decent as for currently. Sorry.

Do please. Reinvention is baseline for us, there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Introduce subtle sexual themes into your monsters/worlds.

See: Kingdom Death, Berserk.

With all respect but
>KDM
>subtle

You're not wrong

So, one idea I had was basically a darker, occult version of Ravnica. Think much more Rakdos and Orzhov than Boros or Azorius. The exact placement and specifics of the city itself are based on Kaddath from the Cthulhu Mythos, where it's reachable through dream or occult practices but is also very probably a real location.

The city itself is a seat of power and draws in those brave or foolish enough to start prodding the fabric of reality or asking too many questions. The result is a group of 12 cults which collectively hold control over the city, all of them making use of the fact that the veil is easier to pierce there to pin the Universe down, slowly slice it open as it writhes, and try to figure out what makes it tick.

Probably the most important part of the setting is that the game isn't supposed to fully take place within the city. Basically all the cults require supplies or new converts brought in from the rest of the world. Your friends and neighbors might be under the city's pull and you've just never known that till now.

One great instance of that is O'shaughnessy and Sons Butcher Co, which is a small but broadly spread chain of butcher shops within the setting. Now, your average customer doesn't know that O'shaughnessy himself is very much alive even though the shop was founded in the early 1800s or that the man became obsessed with haruspicy (divination through entrails) as well as the work Mary Shelly.

What those in the business know is that if you need a body for your ritual, O'shaughnessy and Sons is happy to provide it. If you need a live specimen or any combination of parts they do that too. And if you know the right phrases and handshakes all theses services are available at any location from New York to Moscow, anywhere they've opened their doors. Ohh, and you might be aware that not all the pork they sell is actually pork. Before you came to the city you might have walked into one of their shops and gotten yourself a great deal on 'porkchops'

Ok.

I like 90s/00s Japanese urban horror fantasy.

It's just so comfy with it's mundane but grim utilitarian cities filled with slashers and ghosts and terrible curses teenagers found on the internet.

100777.com/nwo/barbarians

>100777.com/nwo/barbarians
On that note
youtube.com/watch?v=yJLhnts9-oQ

They just found 54 severed hands in a bag by some lake in Russia.

I love this guys art so much. What's his name again?

Simon Stålenhag

Please use reverse image search in the future. Its literally a default option on each post.

I'm fond of dreams/nightmares, especially your own. Just take some notes when you have a really freaky dream, and think about how you can integrate it into your campaign. In my own nightmares, I've been stalked and kissed by a teleporting shadow banshee, sucked into a tornado and sent to hyperspace, and dreamed up a middling-quality Disney animated movie. I might sic the shadow banshee on my players next session and see how can they counter a monster that isn't in the bestiary.

>kissed
youtube.com/watch?v=t7-BX4bWYvg

It wasn't very pleasant. It felt extremely cold; something like "all the Altoids in the world"+"frozen corpse". Before that, the banshee alternated between beautiful but atonal humming behind me and screaming in my ear. I still have no idea what brought it on, but it was simultaneously the scariest and coolest nightmare I've had in a while.

is this an updated version?

Maybe it'll take out all the fucking repetition