In all seriousness, is there ever a reason to include catfolk in your games?

In all seriousness, is there ever a reason to include catfolk in your games?

>"I want catfolk in my game. I think I'll include them."

Being tired of having your basic bitch Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves as the main nonhumans of every setting.

I like cats

being Egyptian

being someone who likes cats

being someone who isn't an asshole

Is there ever not?

>In all seriousness, is there ever a reason to include in your games?
Yes, you want to exist in your games.

Wanting to jerk off under the table is a technically a reason OP.

What if they're more like hulking heaps of muscle lions

A setting which pushes catfolk and other obscurer races to prominence just so they can displace elves and dwarves and orcs is exactly the kind of thing I would avoid.

Barafags out.

fpbp

No need to make everything gay, I was just thinking of badass warrior lions that tear everything (except for anuses) to pieces

Funny, A faggot who judges settings based whether or no they have his “Muh iconic races, Muh DnD status Quo” becuase he’s too much of a bitch to handle settings not all being the same is also the kind of person I would having in my games.

you want to make a rogue in 5e and your DM vetoed your elf rogue because he hates elves and when you brought up a halfling rogue he accused you of pedophilia

you're a load of fun to have at a table
>your ass shows up
>loudly announces "I hate anything that isn't elves/dwarves/humans because that's deconstructive"
>DM says "ackshuwally, I hate elves/dwarves/humans because they're boring"
>you both REE at each other
>the police are called

The manga in OP actually doesn't go for a uniform look at all.

Nah, not all, just three races to displace the classic fantasy triple. Maybe even without humans.

A man is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how bad it is.

Wait, since when is REEing against the law?

No.

The only niche catfolk could reasonably occupy is being a fetish race.

It is simply absolutely not possible for any catfolk to be anything else.

>a race has more than one bodytype
>a race has more than one personality type

Why not have just humans then

More importantly, who phoned the police?

Because they're boring

You'd need to read it, I can't explain. 99% of the characters are cats.

Sounds pretty explained to me, what is the name ?

Nekogahara

Everyone likes cats.

Helps you identify problem players early.

I don't like cats

> is there ever a reason to include catfolk in your games?

Yes, it's called "magical realm".

Thundercats nigga

What about a setting with bords?

>Race has anything to distinguish it or make it interesting instead of it being limited to one gimmick forever
>HURR WHY NOT JUST HAVE HUMANS DURR
Never speak again.

>Oh nice male catfolk that doesn't look like-
>Fly with traces of pubic hair
so close
yet so far

My setting has city states full of techno fetishist so some people choose to have their DNA fucked with by splicing with animals. Some of those people choose cats.
Outside the city state some people just get fucked by the fey and end up as Werecats.

Some people are just extra hairy down there, you don't need to be a cat for that.

As a Forever DM, I asked myself this same question when D&D 4th edition pushed Dragonborn and Tieflings as canon core races.
I don't do it anymore, because people will play anything no matter what the fuck. So the more options the better; I don't give a fuck.

this

Explain to me how the setting became different if the cultures stayed the same and the races just have been replaced with animals other than looks?

>Nah, not all, just three races to displace the classic fantasy triple. Maybe even without humans.
Why does that make the setting interesting?

I know I am not getting a decent answer out of this thread but I find it absolutely amazing and telling how the same people who bitch about elves, dwarfs and orcs and the ones who are so creatively bankrupt that they are content to declare palette swap as something interesting and unique.

Is it ignorance or has it to do with being a sheep and regurgitating some Youtube E-Celebs talking points?

>implying those three races I picked are palette swaps of the original three
>nigga never played a small-races-only game with goblins, kobolds and gnomes

>Explain to me how the setting became different if the cultures stayed the same
They wouldn’t. The point of throwing out the traditional trio is that A. They are tainted by the stereotypes associated with them and B. If you’re going to be having different cultures/roles for your races there’s no point Keeping the title and appearance of elves on them for the sake of familiarity,

What's a fetish race? Like Asians?

No. Frankly I think a game is cheapened by adding ANY furry races. I don't go for tabaxi or ratfolk either. Elves and goblins fill those roles just fine.

>goblins as a playable race
Yeah, no. I’d much sooner back out of that sort of game. Not sure what your criteria is for a game being “cheapened”, but I’d rather have that than the game be ruined thanks to CN lolsorandum races like goblins.

>Thinks adding tabaxi and ratfolks cheapens games
>Willing to allow playable goblins

Kill yourself

Are you two questioning the wisdom of the great Sam Riegel?

>They wouldn’t.
Prove it. Create a race that is interesting enough to replace elves, dwarfs or orcs without any influence/inspiration of historic cultures like the aforementioned 3 have.

I guess if he's unironically stating that CN manlets are a better alternative to furries.

It's the same shit as people who go on about anime posters ruining games/boards while they're sperging out about someone using a picture of Goku to represent their Monk, which inevitably wastes more time and energy for everyone else at the table as they struggle to get the game back on track.

These same people will also ponder why nobody ever invites them to games.

>without any influence/inspiration of historic cultures
Now that is some serious goalpost moving.

So literally anything more visually interesting than short human, skinny human or green human?

Cat folk in my world are the descendents of a rakshasa getting down and dirty with an Indra spirit. Their conflicting originations produced mortal beings, with the spark of divinity that is signified by their 4 arms. They are separated into three main castes:

The asura are the Royal caste, powerful and regal tigers with a devious intelligence. The indra are the religious caste, taking on the role of both priests and secret police. Panthers adorned in silver or mercury filled glass to denote their affiliation. Lastly is the leopard Kuvera merchant caste. Their spots gilded in gold and semi precious stones.

>Now that is some serious goalpost moving.
But you claim that elves and dwarfs and orcs are boring which are just amalgams of different pieces of culture from various times and places and you claimed that it wouldn't be a palette swap so no "Its Ancient China but with catpeople instead of chinks".

These are claims you yourself made and when someone asks for you to prove it you suddenly try to wiggle out of it by claiming that I moved the goalpost when I didn't.
As I said, its really telling with your kind of people: Bitching about how generic things are bad then not being able to come up with something interesting.

well, is there a reason why not?

I'm not the user you were talking to, I just felt compelled to comment on your faggotry.

But also, not drawing any influence from any historical cultures is borderline impossible, we have had a huge variety of cultures and while someone COULD spent time imagining one without any influence from any of them, it would take forever and be near impossible not to fall into just because of how the brain works. A culture with no relation to anything you actually know about is very hard to conceive of. And then when you eventually did, someone would point out that it's superficially similar to a mix of X and Y anyway.

Plus there is a mile of difference between China but with catgirls instead and inspired by ancient cultures in the same way as Dwarves or Elves were.

>These are claims you yourself made and when someone asks for you to prove it you suddenly try to wiggle out of it by claiming that I moved the goalpost when I didn't.
I'm not even the dude you're arguing with right now but going from >Explain to me how the setting became different if the cultures stayed the same and the races just have been replaced with animals other than looks?
to >Prove it. Create a race that is interesting enough to replace elves, dwarfs or orcs without any influence/inspiration of historic cultures like the aforementioned 3 have.
Is clearly you trying to shift the goalposts. Trying to create a race without pulling inspiration from IRL races is like trying to explain "Red" to a blind person; you can try but the results are going to feel alien af since the person you're telling this to has no clear reference to draw from the experience.

Even still, it's pretty shallow to discount something based purely on racial representation.

Is there ever a reason NOT to?

Attached: AdventurerCatgirl2.jpg (405x810, 83K)

Catpeople can just replace elves IMO.
>big ears
>highly sexualized
>more in touch with nature
>flighty
>arrogant
>cruel

The only thing that doesn't match up is the lifespan, because usually the cat race has a short life compared to humans whereas elves obviously live much longer. In my game I literally gave catpeople nine lives - so they would reincarnate exactly 9 times - when I put them in the elf slot.

ERP/orgy groups are a thing.

I have bird, rat, and reptilefolk in my setting and cats easily fit the dynamic of everyone hating and wanting to kill each other for various reasons.

That's actually pretty interesting, and gives me an idea.

Why not replace all the other races with kemonomimi as well?

Attached: DrunkCatgirls.jpg (820x545, 274K)

I replaced orcs with them tbhsmhfam

You forgot:
>only exist to be raped and enslaved by other races

>the bird race commits genocide against the cats and enslaves those who are leftover

Attached: a very bad bird.jpg (2310x2560, 811K)

Correct answer.

Your setting sounds both kitchen sink and fantastic.

This is the only way to do catgirls, unironically.

You advertise them as a playable race and then pull a gotcha on your players:

"hey, i said catgirls existed? That's right, they existED. Birdpeople genocided them effortlessly long ago because cats were weak and dumb."

It's really fun to see players' faces when you tell them that. Especially to those who already made cat race characters and now must redo the sheet completely.

Attached: ainsley.jpg (480x360, 32K)

The setting is TES, and all the Khajiit subspecies are allowed, from Suthay to Alfiq

Attached: khajiit breeds and subspecies.jpg (3894x2000, 2.57M)

What would you sub out with what?

Spergs will claim it's fetishism. Anecdotally, I find furries a little obnoxious and I'm not the biggest fan of cats, but I'd totally play a Tabaxi.

And yet you wonder why nobody wants to play with you...

Well put.

Erunes are literally this.

Bonus points for draph as dwarfs and harvins as better haflings.

>must redo the sheet completely
Good luck to find players for your shitshow.

It filters out fetishists, so I am okay with that.

Came here to post this.

Attached: 1519795630958.jpg (1124x1024, 183K)

It also filters out shit GM, who wastes time of his players for cheap statement.

It also scares away anyone who actually wants to enjoy doing something other than the cookie cutter shit you seem to find the holy grail. Face it, is right.

>Everyone with toxoplasmosis likes cats.

FTFY

>you will never be able to play a fuck-off huge spellcasting cat in the actual games
fuck you todd

A specific Rakshasa family-tree has been recurring through my games, sometimes they're a Big Bad trying to kill the party, some times they're employers of the MCs, and when I play once or twice I played members of the line, but mine and my friends' have a shared overall universe between games and they are rarely a focus.

Attached: rakshasa kid.png (614x981, 476K)

Well, the standards are humans, elves, orcs, halflings, gnomes, and dwarves.

Elves are cats. So, dwarves must be dogs, halflings are rabbits or mice, and gnomes are rats because they're small and crafty.
Or perhaps Orcs are wolves, humans are still human, and half-orcs are dogs because wolf + human = dog.

I like the latter more than the former. Dwarves burrow and would fit as rabbits or hares. Halflings can be mice. I don't care about gnomes at all so whatever.

Orcs gotta be boars.

>I like the latter more than the former.
Waggy-tailed floppy-eared dogpeople as half-orcs. Slightly dim, but strong and loyal to people they like.

Humans should be ants.

>strength in numbers
>huge multiplying populace
>could still keep fighting to the end even with limbs removed
>would be seen as alien and strange by all the other animal races

Only thing that doesn't match is their method of reproduction and society structure, which could be adjusted.

Dwarves are mole-men.

>race has one prominent, ubiquitous personality trait
>bad players use them so they dont have to make good characters
>races have variable personalities and are made up of individuals
>why not just use humans

humanfags are the worst

Beast-people are fun, and I find they have a kitchsy charm.

Attached: Cat - A Little Game About Little Heroes.jpg (440x694, 58K)

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing.

Attached: White Lion cmon.jpg (2047x1604, 500K)

It's not about having the iconic races. Note that I said "just so they can displace [iconic races]". People who do that kind of shit, 9 times out of 10 they're tryhard contrarians who think being creative just means being as different as possible. The kind of people who don't appreciate staples of the genre and think they know better, the kind of people who would roll their eyes and scoff the second they heard that the DM's homebrew setting has "muh DnD status Quo". You can do what you want, doesn't mean I have to play with you.

>there’s no point Keeping the title and appearance of elves on them for the sake of familiarity,
Wrong. Familiarity is good. It provides a reference point, and lets people see just how you've put your own spin on things while making things more digestible and approachable. The fact that you're saying that they're "tainted" says a lot.

A race that considers ritualized hunting, grooming and sleeping as not just cultural icons, but biological imperatives?

Not sure "breeds and subspecies" is the right way to phrase it since what form they take is determined by what phases the moons are in when they are born, not what their parents are.

To give the dogfolk something to chase...

They already have tails, user.

Is there ever a reason to include humans in your games?

They are pretty much a mandatory inclusion.

What would catfolk culture be like?
Not the personality-range of individuals, which for some reason is the only thing people ever post
Widespread catfolk culture

Why? Humans in fantasy are the most overused trope of all.

Probably colorful and very touchy-feely, maybe a bit lackadaisical.