Fantasy Age

Anyone here tried Fantasy Age? Is it any good?

On the first glance I like that it's 3d6 and the stunt die mechanic looks pretty fun as well.

Attached: fantasy age.jpg (450x584, 59K)

It's ok. Has a problem with HP Bloat.

It's a pretty setting generic rules system, it works well enough. If your games are more about vivid descriptions and storytelling then tabletop square measuring, then it is a very good system. But if you want rules detailing moves/running/flanking/blocking rather then relying on the GM's ability to invision and describe an encounter, it probably isn't for you.

Is there even any system that doesn't do that to some extent? How do you even fight a dragon with 5 hp?

Any system that doesn't rely on escalating hitpoints as a scaling mechanic?

I haven't actually played it, but I read the Dragon Age RPG it's based off of. I think the system as a whole is kind of half-baked, but the core mechanics are attractive. I like 3d6 for the bell curve of results it gives, and I like the stunt system as a flexible variation on critical hits.

Level-less systems tend to either avoid or reduce HP bloat. GURPS, Genesys, probably others I'm not aware of.

Barbarians of Lemuria is pretty good about avoiding HP bloat. The most a creature will have in the core rules is 100, and that's only for what amounts to be a giant kraken. Otherwise, powerful foes will have around 30 hit points and your character would have at most 18 hit points with maxed out strength and the right boons.

Which version of BoL?

The stunt mechanic looks fun at first, but then you realize that the most basic options are locked behind a stunt and if you don't get dubs you're doomed to attack every turn since you don' get to choose what to do (beside hoping in better rolls).

Warhammer fantasy.

Sure you can bump your health but it's really only making a difference between surviving one or two sword swings provided you already had high health

So it's /b/-logic task resolution? Hard pass.

>How do you even fight a dragon with 5 hp?

There’s Dungeon World’s famous 16 hp dragon. The answer is ‘you fight it like they did in The Hobbit’. Sure a single arrow can take the Dragon out. But the trick is to know where to aim, when to shoot and who shoots.

Attached: C1CB2744-F475-4CDC-8DD1-0DB44A19055F.jpg (1680x1050, 137K)

>Has a problem with HP Bloat.

There is fix in the Free Form house rules and the new Companion have the official fix.

Attached: Free-Form FAGE - Essentials.pdf (PDF, 140K)

DW does suck however, its a mess of PCs vying for conditions to set up attacks/actions

I agree. Played it for about a year with some friends and we all agreed the game ended up hindering the narrative more than it helped it. However the approach to hp isnone of the things I did like about the system.

That and no initiative. Having played without initiative, it becomes glaringly obvious how much it really slows the game down, not to mention how dumb it can be

>Turns starts
>You stand at the ready with your loaded crossbow
>Orc is 30 feet away
>Orc wins initiative
>Proceeds to walk over to you and hit you with his sword
>You now have a penalty for using a crossbow in melee

It is quite hard to shoot someone with a ranged weapon who's charging you from that short a distance

Fantasy AGE in general is a ok, maybe good system. But it has a few issues.
One is the stunt point system. its kind of, well, generic and unimaginative.
The second is the character options. Like with many games, mages have more options than the other classes.

New poster to thread, you are insanely wrong. It is easier to shoot targets as they close in at you, especially running right at you. A crossbow or even a bow (depending on several circumstances) is most deadly at point blank range, but games like DnD assume super-human reflexes for dodging so it usually gives a penalty.

Yes, there are feats in some editions, and other games that give the bonus, anyways, I'm just here to inform you that you were grossly misinformed and now I shall leave the thread.

If it even gets the shot off user, remember the orc wins the initiative and gets to you before you can even shoot.

By not being a retard and trying to fight the dragon on its own terms or "fairly"

BoL has problems with basically everything that isnt human being goddamn tough as hell, which I would contend is somewhat out of genre (Conan kills things, even very tough things, in one hit quite regularly).

Easy to conceal