Sci-fi? In my D&D?

So uh, are wizards allowed to use sniper rifles?

Attached: 17128.jpg (616x796, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_modules
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also how the fuck am I supposed to defeat what is basically Ming the Merciless but with ridiculous numbers of troops at his disposal

>Snipers are some of the most well trained, sharp minded and fit people in the world.
>Wizards are Nerds

I guess yes but he'll suck at it and it might give him a concussion.

Well he'd better get good at it.

Attached: DA3-768x988.jpg (768x988, 155K)

3.5's sequel involves Kekian space princesses and vampires in the super kek temple.

One of the most insane adventures to date.

Attached: Tactical Mage by CanvasDiver.jpg (1000x1235, 628K)

Frogs?

I used to hate mixed fantasy/scifi but these days I'm liking it more and more.

There's a reason that the genre didn't get a proper separation on bookshelves until recently.

tell me more, how did this separation happen?

Witches on my image board?

Attached: tristan-elwell-elwell-curses-inc.jpg (850x1261, 255K)

Insofar as they can use most magic items, yes.

Not that guy and I'm not sure, but it happened around the time soft sci-fi caught on. That detail is probably relevant.

The crashed spaceship plot twist is honestly one of the better ones.

Also wizards.

Attached: Spellcheck by Doug Beekman.jpg (736x1094, 113K)

Basically people started getting really angry about the fact that stuff we consider science-fiction works could be sold alongside stuff like Discworld.

This led to a split that still causes problems, because the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy is the name.
People like to say "Well science fiction has rules" to which the reply is that a lot of fantasy writing functions around a basis of rules as well.
People like to say "Fantasy is stuff that can never happen" to which the reply is that a lot of science-fiction writing is based on ideas that we have no way of seeing ever happen, let alone know if it's possible to happen.
People like to say it's about aethetic, and then you have arguments about pern and star wars.

It's a tricky topic I find simply because the only way to really "fix" it, is to change the way we categorize a lot of fiction to be actual descriptors of the kinds of content and themes the book has.

>The crashed spaceship plot twist is honestly one of the better ones.

... and infamous by now!

Attached: s3_barrier_peaks_cover.jpg (458x576, 47K)

>So uh, are wizards allowed to use sniper rifles?
Why they woudlnt?

how hard it is to pull a trigger?

Interesting
I thought the difference is that in sci fi there were plausible scientific explanations while in fantasy they just say "it's magic ain't goinna explain shit"
Thank you.
what's so infamous about it?

>sci fi there were plausible scientific explanations
Only in hard sci-fi, which (a) gets dated fast as 'maybe plausible' things become implausible and (b) gets dated even faster because most hard sci-fi is social commentary.

See that "S" in the module id? That there is a tournament module. It's not intended for normal play.
It's meant for use in a 4-hour time slot at a convention. Alongside a bunch of other tables. Fastest/Farthest/Richest group wins.
Unlike pic related that dungeon is actually hard (it doesn't just seem that way from time pressure).

It's also pretty well known for literally being a crashed spaceship in a fantasy setting. Also for being written by Gary Gygax.

Apropos of nothing, Temple of the Frog () by Dave Arneson was the very first published adventure.

Attached: S1_ToH_cover.jpg (1227x1600, 562K)

I can imagine way
Oh I heard about D&D tournaments.
Didnd't know there were special modules for those.

I think wizardry would require too much time spent to be very good at anything else. Not that you would need to be. I think tech in high fantasy is weird. It really depends on the nature of magic. Whether or not the talent is inborn. Why study tech when magic can reach the same results and more? The only alternative I can think of is that students who are proficient enough to be effective in combat are so far and few between that warring armies invest in development of arms.

>It's canon the events of this occured, and the expedition team only had like 3 survivors but the king was a shit who didn't care and the items from the wreckage were just salvaged by Scholars who documented the items and lazer guns but lost interest when they discovered they actually weren't magical.

On the plus side- at least it means a Greyhawk setting issued adventure has a potential cheesit solution if one gets an item from the Scholars.

might wanna check out Chaika of the Coffin. she uses a magical sniper rifle and its works out pretty well.

It's more likely than you think.

>I WILL NEVER EXPLORE THIS CHROME AND NEON BEAUTYSCAPE.
END ME.

Attached: 1520121486278.jpg (512x512, 33K)

how has no one mentioned spell jammer?

Sure, but you'll need to invent black powder and invent a musket first.

Spell jammer is fantasy with sci-fi trappings, not the other way around.

Yes, obvious truth!

Attached: 2b68b50aa53c472aa96e038d9fb15dec4ec4624d.jpg (1011x1773, 266K)

>See that "S" in the module id? That there is a tournament module. It's not intended for normal play.

Not what S means.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_modules

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if White Plume Mountain was a tournament module. Maybe /osrg/ would know?
Tomb of Horrors, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, and The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth ARE tournament modules.
The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga and Labyrinth of Madness were published 13 years after the S series ended and don't label themselves as S series.

It doesn't even have sci-fi trapping. The foreward says, "this is fantasy not sci-fi" and the only bits that look like sci-fi are the blatant animes riffs like the not!Guyver

What ever works.

Attached: gurps magic cover by robcamp1000.jpg (733x947, 254K)

But Barrier Peaks and Lost Caverns are so big. How could you possibly do more than scratch the surface in a tournament?

Lost Caverns got expanded for the published version. Barrier Peaks was converted from OD&D to AD&D, but otherwise I'm pretty sure both versions are the same.
>How could you possibly do more than scratch the surface in a tournament?
Atop a mountain of corpses and bad decisions. And obviously you'd used a caller.

If tech is developed by those who don't have enough access to magic, they can develop in parallel deeply enough to become codependent when the societies crafting them eventually meet and both find their craft can be improved by the other. Just like tech throughout real life history.

Been reading Dying Earth recently and really loving it

I feel like the key is getting the execution right. It's like how you can have psi powers in science fiction and people are okay with that, but if you had actual wizards in robes chanting and casting spells from ancient tomes, that would strike many as dumb. You have to frame things within the paradigm of the setting. And if you just haphazardly throw elements from a science fiction setting with spaceships and shit and a fantasy setting with wizards and dragons, they're going to clash horribly in all likelihood. (Shadowrun, for instance, is a retarded setting.) But that doesn't mean that you can't merge elements of two different settings, you just need to frame things in a way that makes sense in them both, or move away from the stereotypical way of doing things. Fantasy doesn't have to be Tolkien influenced by D&D.

>I thought the difference is that in sci fi there were plausible scientific explanations while in fantasy they just say "it's magic ain't goinna explain shit"
That definition would make Star Trek fantasy. (which it is - subspace = magic)

The most functional definition I've seen is that SF explores the effect of a particular technology on the setting but plenty of Fantasy does the same thing with magic.