>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
What's your favorite Sorcerer Origin and why?

Attached: 1494553327741.png (600x910, 907K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Table_of_Creature_Size_and_Scale
5e.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#Dwarf
5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm
strawpoll.me/15245469
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>look who posted the OP again

Attached: 1519882942816.gif (500x332, 703K)

This is probably the first Veeky Forums thread I've made in over a year.

Dragon with a Dragonborn because then you're a Double Dragon.

Ah, my mistake. Carry on.
>sorcerer origin
Stone Sorcerer is still my long favorite even if its not published.

divine soul. getting access to those sweet, juicy cleric spells is awesome.

I really like the Divine Soul sorcerer for some reason.

Asking again because it's a new thread: can I get some advice on spell and invocation choices for a Hexblade?

Shadow Sorcerers are my favorite just for the dumb 'dark but not really' flavor, that's my jam. Storm Sorcerers I wasn't hot on until I saw them played, I actually have come to really like the game giving lots of classes weather based subclasses. It feels very wild and natural with druids and rangers running around.

elaborate. are you going eldritch blast spam or are you going bladelock?

Bladelock. I've already decided to abuse darkness (and later shadows of moil) to both protect myself and get permanent advantage, so I'm trying to avoid concentration spells if possible.

How heavy should a bulette be?

Do you multiclass into Monk for sweet barehanded combat?
Or fight an Ogre name Abobo?

in terms of invocations, here are the ones good for bladelock (aside from fiends sight ofc):

improved pact weapon, fiendish vigor, thirsting blade, eldritch smite, lifedrinker, maddening hex, relentless hex, shroud of shadow

in terms of spells, here's what I'd recommend

armor of agathys, hellish rebuke, misty step, counterspell, dispel magic (if deciding between counterspell and dispel magic, choose dispel magic), thunder step, dimension door, charm monster, charm person

>devil's sight
>Improved Pact weapon

at 5 pick up Thirsting Blade

at 7 Eldritch Smite, start using your slots to smite, at this lvl most things will start to counter your darkness cheese.

at 12 you should be able to decide what you want, you have most of the necessary ones at 7.

>advice on spell and invocation choices for a Hexblade?
Ones that your character would practice and want.
Not that you give a shit about creating a character.

Looks good. Thoughts on cloak of flies?

>at this lvl most things will start to counter your darkness cheese
This is also the level you get shadows of moil, which cares not about darkvision or the superior version. Still good advice though.

Darkvision doesn't see through magical darkness anyhow, and I'm pretty sure only devils can reliably see through it

cloak of flies is.... eh? I think the out of combat utility is better than the in combat utility.

or anything else with truesight

I guess, but that, blindsense, and tremorsense will work through Shadow of Moil too

A bulette's a Large size living tank that does 14 damage just by belly flopping. It'd be way too heavy for a human being to lift, and even a Goliath with max stats would be pushing it.

But also, you know, it's a game. The rules of physics only apply when you want them to. If a Fighter with a 20 Strength wants to suplex it, maybe that's what you want and it's fine to play out.

That's fair. I'm also not too keen on the swarm of bugs flavor and am not sure how I'd refluff it. I'll probably skip it.

It's not unbeatable but it's still an upgrade over darkness in that it doesn't fuck with the other PCS as much (it can still create darkness, but standard darkvision pierces it) and it comes with a retaliatory damage effect (which stacks with armor of agathys, I might add).

It'll do until I hit level 17 and get foresight, but at that point the game has been over for 3 levels so it doesn't matter.

I'm going to be DMing for the first time with a group of 6 that have been playing for a few months now

Two of the 5 have asked me if they can play Minotaurs and Bugbears, I told them the setting would be somewhere between witcher and game of thrones in terms of magic and monsters, so should I allow them to or ask them to do something else? If I allow them I'm going to have the main villain who is their benefactor in disguise give them his seal early in the game which basically allows them to enter settlements and cities without harassment from guards and earn them a bit of respect(benefactor is highly respected in the country)

Why would standard darkvision pierce shadow of moil?

cloak of leaves, and the leaves are poison ivy

Someone run a game right now thanks, I really wanna play.

I'd rather use my slots for smiting and the auto prone.

I ran a disappointing game earlier today, Veeky Forums, and I'm pretty down.

I can't help but underestimate how long things actually take in game when designing it, so everything stretches on forever and I just know it feels unsatisfying.

How do I pace a game properly?

Attached: flower_spirit_by_bcnyart-d8ckkv6.jpg (544x750, 462K)

Sounds fun. This seal lets them go around unquestioned I don't see why it wouldn't let a monster walk around in their cities.

I'm starting up a Celestial Pact Warlock with an Archaeologist background, and have become pretty indecisive on how to proceed after level 1 in regards to invocations, spells, and eventual Pact Boon.

There are three Invocations that stood out as decent picks for level 2: Agonizing Blast, Fiendish Vigor, and Eyes of the Rune Keeper (primarily to tie into background, would replace Comprehend Language known spell if I picked this). After that, my choices become dependent on the spells and Pact Boon. For spells, I currently have Cure Wounds and Comprehend Languages, with Mage Hand and Eldritch Blast cantrips. If I somehow make it to the Pact Boon, Blade is probably out of the question due to 10 Str/Dex, so between Chain and Tome, I'm stuck.

I'm a little concerned that despite the Celestial Pact, I'm still stuck as an Eldritch Blast turret. Since I haven't played much outside of two other classes, I feel like I'm missing something here. Ideally, I want to stick close to things that fit the background and patron choice, without being useless to the party.

I kind of want to run like dumb fight club shenanigans, where people can get their dumb powergaming sheanigans and fight monsters either on request or randomly rolled.
Unless thats what you want, you're out of luck.

Attached: Xz6jnA1.png (534x486, 227K)

Direct their attention. If it's combat that takes so long then take out the combat

Plan as if your session will be half as long as you want, then add in extraneous shit you won't mind dropping when the game's going on longer than you wanted.

The ambient cloud of darkenss effect, not the 'you are heavily obscured to others' effect.

I was thinking ethereal thorny vines but . . .

Not a bad plan, but I'd still spend a slot on shadows simply because of what it offers, and as long as you don't drop concentration it'll last the entire combat. You'll still have 2-3 smites in you - hopefully you won't need more than that.

I'm thinking of 800lb. Would that sound about right?
>Weight of Adult Male White Rhino is 5070lb
Well shit, the Bulette must weight around 9000lb then.
He's a chunky boi

Attached: bulette.jpg (738x401, 41K)

Yes, why would normal darkvision pierce that? It's darkness, and it's magical

or Cloud of Poison Dart Frogs if the setting is on the silly side

Because unlike the Darkness spell, it doesn't contain a line about darkvision being ineffective. since there's no specific rule, the general rule wins out, and darkvision sees through it.

Cloud of jellyfish. It's not an underwater game, they just float because of reasons.

A rhino is probably huge rather than large though.

"Flame-like shadows wreathe your body until the spell ends, causing you to become heavily obscured to others."

This reads to me like it simply provides heavy obscurement.

Rhinos are large

Reaqd the next sentence, satan.

"The shadows turn dim light within 10 feet of you into darkness, and bright light in the same area to dim light."

This seems like a separate effect entirely.

how are shadows lashing out at people that attack you if it's not magical?

In my game its magical. You could be standing out in the middle of an open field on a bright sunny day, and it turns dark. How is that not magical?

The fact that you cast it should imply that it's magical.

Jackiechanconfuseface.jpeg

Yep. The second effect is negated by darkvision. This is what I was talking about. You, the caster, are heavily obscured to others no matter what, granting you the benefits of darkness/devils sight shenanigans. The cloud of darkness around you is mostly worthless at that level, but also doesn't interfere with your allies, unlike the darkness spell.

Does it say darkvision cannot see through it in the spell description?

Yeah, I think a sticking point was that people made significantly less powerful character this time around for the one, now two, shot I made, and I built the encounters to be harder because they were kinda steamrolls the last few games I made. Now they feel like more of a slog and I even cut one short because of how obviously long it would take.

I know this seems like an obvious bit of advice, but you're right and I should really just be prepared to cut a lot of the fluff, which I didn't this time.

I'm pretty sure there are tables relating monster size class to weight bounds.

dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Table_of_Creature_Size_and_Scale

500lbs-2 tonnes apparently. I'd probably high ball that given the shape of the creature.

If you're running my game, i'd 100% accept your ruling. That's what DMing is.

In my game its magical.

In D&D, unless it's a spell/magic item, it's only magical when the game says it is. D&D has tons of weird shit that's clearly not true in reality but isn't actually magic when you consider monsters.

You're not wrong, you're just thinking about it the wrong way. It absolutely is magical darkness - it's just that darkvision is still effective.

Take a look: 5e.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#Dwarf
Specifically the entry for darkvision. In the text, there's nothing stating that darkvision is ineffective against magical darkness. You can just see through darkness, all kinds.

UNLESS an effect specifically says darkvision is ineffective, like the darkness spell does: 5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm

That said I'm gonna drop this conversation since it's just theory at this point and honestly darkvision could do with a slight nerf since everything under the sun has it now.

but compare it to the description for Truesight, it specifically calls out magical darkness, while Darkvision does not

Okay, I understand what you're saying better now. I get it. I agree on the DV opinion.

Northern White Rhinos are 12-14ft in length and could be considered "Huge" but they're in the Large Category. Same as Bulettes.

>are
were

there are 3 of them left my dude.

Yeah let's go, right now

I think that's probably just 5e being inconsistent. Truesight would absolutely see through a darkness spell, and would probably ignore shadows of moil too.

and the only male is infertile because he's so old

Dark vision does not negate the need for real light.
See the effects of dim light and lightly obscured from the PHB.
>creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

well that fucking sucks. I can only hope someone figures out a way to clone them.

Attached: 1519882996566.gif (297x229, 2.22M)

What are some Creative ways to counter the Outlander Ranger who wants to have been everywhere before level 1 and can't get lost. (besides the obvious of tell them that's not possible)

Crawford has mentioned "discoveries" rather than a normal search and find. Is it possible to do this without railroading too much?

>there are 3 of them left
Well that's the official story, at least.

Has anybody made a gloom stalker NPC? I want to use this feature against my players but they always say don't make an NPC using player character rules.

I haven't actually got any prepared. It's an eventual plan, learning the ins and outs of combat/messing with sheets and tokens in roll20
Soon, I guess

That's . . . I'm gonna guess another inconsistency. At my table a creature with darkvision would ignore that effect, unless they needed to discern color for some reason, in which case they would indeed have disadvantage (as DV is greyscale).

We probably already can DESU. We can clone sheep well enough, I can't imagine it would be that much harder to do a rhino.

Actually Outlander already does exactly that with it's feature, albeit in a general sense (you know that village B is 2 days travel north from village A, and that if you've hit landmark C you've gone too far, but you might not remember all the exact shortcuts). I'd say let them know major landmarks and villages, give them advantage on checks to find trails and the like, but small details and new changes to the landscape are exempt.

the Southern white rhino is still doing well, at least. So well that they're actually off the endangered species list and legally farmed for their horns.

the black rhinoceros is pretty much done, though

I cant imagine its that hard. I read somewhere that they think they are about 3-5 years off cloning the woolly mammoth so something thats actually alive shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Tell him that "not getting lost" and "knowing exactly what is all around you and exactly where it is" are two completely different things. I can drive to a different town than where I live and follow the street signs back to my home, that doesn't mean I know the exact location of the house of some random guy I've never met. Also tell him that saying that he's been everywhere before level 1 is like the Fighter saying that he's killed and plundered the hoard of an adult Dragon in his backstory.

Roll20 is a lot easier than it looks, honestly. I've only been playing RPGs for a few months and managed to cobble some games together.

How many monsters can I throw at a group of 5 at a time? Are werewolves too tough?

Has anyone pretended to play dead as a character? How did you take advantage of the situation if you succeeded.

Can anyone come up with a tierlist of the difficulty in playing classes for a newbie?
I want to show it to my new group so they know that picking a wizard is hard vs champion fighter is easy.
>pic unrelated

Attached: 1520228305020.jpg (466x957, 57K)

Storm Sorcerer for life.
It's so fun.

Well going by CR (which is garbage), you could probably throw 2-3 CR3 werewolves at a party of 4 level 5 characters and expect the PCs to win with a bit of effort.

I mean, I'm setting it up right now is the thing.
I was talking out my ass but this is actually sounding like a fun idea
So: I'm finding Colosseum maps that are big enough for fun, but small enough that (mostly) regardless of mobility you're still not completely out of danger, but also that I can plop plenty of stage hazards or effects into.
Any input/suggestions/images would be appreciated.

Yes but I cheated and used Feign Death. There was a random Revenant after me that I had no part in making because DM fiat and we turned it to fight on our side by "killing" me to prove that I was framed and the person that killed him was actually a demon that we had pissed off in disguise.

running water, elevating platforms, lavapits, squares that shuffle on initiative order 10 and such.

>Tfw you nearly wipe half your party with a single guardsman because they're fucking incompetent

To play devils advocate there's also dumb shit like you have a map and compass yet for no reason you went in the opposite direction.

Oh.

Maybe opt for a wolf pup instead.

I want to but they're in a city right now.

wolf escaped from the circus and is harrying a marketplace.

A mad dog or a dire rat then, cities have those.

>tfw you nearly wipe your entire party with a single 5x5x40ft hole that was in plain sight in the middle of an otherwise empty dungeon corridor because they're impressively incompetent and the dice hate them
I'll never forget the amount of horrible, deadly traps I filled that dungeon with that they never even saw via sheer dumb luck, but the first and most obvious fucking trap I put in to warn them that this was a trapped dungeon nearly killed them all.

If I (or someone else) actually did shit like this, what would be the most requested enemy type?
strawpoll.me/15245469
strawpoll.me/15245469
strawpoll.me/15245469

Attached: 0guvrs6paohz.jpg (1540x1050, 319K)

If the dice favour/hate them then that's different.
But my players actually forgot one of them had cure wounds while the other was rolling death saves.

>and I just know it feels unsatisfying.

Have you asked your players if they are enjoying your sessions?

Wild Magic Sorcerer

My paladin attempted to use his body as a bridge while in full plate and carrying most of the party's equipment, then when they fished him out the Monk pushed him back in by trying to do "some cool ninja flips and shit off his back," then the sorcerer and the ranger and the paladin all fell back in in the middle of the next fishing attempt fell in because the sorcerer let go of the rope because "the guy in back has the rope tied around him (and only weighs 75lbs compared to the Paladin's 300), so what could go wrong while I go join the Monk?"
Then the Monk jumped in to prove that he couldn't take falling damage and the NPC guide they were with had to pull them all back out.
When I say "the dice hated them," I mean "the dice said no to their stupid ideas and they deserved it." Though to be fair the whole thing started because the Paladin failed a DC 5 check.

>strawpoll.me/15245469
monstrosity in the lead with a whopping (1) vote(s)!

>mfw I have a party of a lore bard, moon druid, diviner wizard, vengance paladin and I'm just a simple fighter yet the most competent in the group.

*My paladin player

how can you tell who it is?

>My paladin attempted to use his body as a bridge while in full plate and carrying most of the party's equipment

Attached: 1463718218215.png (303x311, 181K)

>At my table a creature with darkvision would ignore that effect, unless they needed to discern color for some reason
That is not RAI. It's not even RAW. That's just ignoring the rules that govern the adventuring environment from the PHB.

>weebshit

pathfinder general is thataway. Saged, reported, called the cops

Attached: Sleep Tight Knight.png (848x942, 330K)

Rolled a new bard for a game. We play somewhat rules lite (no power gamers here--the guy who's backstory writing is always outclassing the actual party level doesn't know how to build characters too broken, so it works out). This is the first time in a long time I'm playing, not DMing.
I tried to pick a good mix of useful spells with less useful but fun(ny) fluffy spells. But, any tips on improvising two-line songs and insulting wordplay? I'm good at improvising what npcs do but not good at linguistic spontaneity.

So last session our Spore Druid went anti party because of some religious artifact he wanted. He's always been an asshole IC and OOC he's a munchkin mettagaming fuck. How would I go about countering him?

Kill him irl