Commander General- /edhg/

Redheaded Stepchild Edition

Previous: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What commanders are you surprised don't see more attention/play?

Attached: sleeper hit.png (223x311, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pirate-six-alternate-wincons/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've been interested in building some lifegain deck but it just seems the payoff portion of the deck doesn't exist: There's million subtle sources of "whenever X you gain Y life" lifegain triggers from all the actions taking place in average EDH game but not many ways to generate value off them, of which Archangel of Thune and Well of Lost Dreams being the only relevant ones and even Well is bit janky due mana intensity.

And no, life gain by itself isn't much of a payoff.

Attached: 1492804201555.jpg (960x930, 433K)

what do you mean? Aetherflux Reservoir exists

Sanguine Bond and Aetherflux Resevoir you doofus

>Archangel
>Sanguine Bond
>Reservoir
>Felidar Sovereign
>Karlov

Forgot to mention in GW colors. Reservoir is already an autoinclude that forgot to mention but the deck is still just full of air.

Attached: 1438963760401.jpg (1280x1280, 197K)

Well your issue is that you're playing a lifegain deck without the best lifegain color. You're going to have to rely on just the sovereign, angel, and reservoir then. Maybe Serra Avatar

My complaint exactly. You'd think there would be more quality top end stuff that care about "whenever you gain life" in the primary and secondary lifegain colors especially considering lifegain is one of the big "noob archetypes" WotC pushed every core set but no such thing. Fuck WotC sometimes.

Attached: 1446048176587.png (680x680, 339K)

There are plenty of things that care about "whenever you gain life" in black and white, though.

Who's the commander?
Sandwurm Convergence is really good in Trostani
Angelic Accord can be good but is very slow
Test of Endurance is a second Felidar Sovereign

I wanted to try combining my Rhys tokens and Bruse Tarl + Ikra Shidiqi combat oriented lifegain deck with all the goodies into Trostani tokens/lifegain but I kinda hate my life now.

Attached: 1509675635727.jpg (990x914, 111K)

Anyone else hype for this bad boy?

Attached: muldrothathegravetide.jpg (265x370, 41K)

Yes. Although with sufficient self-milling I don't think it plays that differently from Damia for example.

He's going to be my new self-mill/reanimator general
I'm not ready for all the value I'm about to experience
>mystic remora
>pay one
>let it die on the next round
>play it for one again
>play lotus petals and LEDs over and over
>reanimation/theft enchanments
>minus Jace Beleren over and over

Attached: 1520624900782.jpg (816x626, 46K)

Depends. In either case it's still good, but is it cast or play? Does the wording play imply cast? usually these kinds of things read "you may cast it from X" so I'm slightly confused.

When it specifies "you may cast" it doesn't include lands and in the case of "you may play" it includes lands.

WAIT JUST A MINUTE

Attached: vis-104-elephant-grass.jpg (672x936, 272K)

you’d at least expect to see this guy on mtgo

Attached: 3C439832-FE8E-4CF8-AD97-2C945AADA96C.jpg (672x936, 174K)

I mean he's shit, so not really.

Karlov is a murder machine in a deck with the full compliment of boots/greaves/whispersilk/etc to protect him.

Already assembled my deck, just hoping the art is good. Been waiting forever for a cool sultai reanimator/self mill that is not sidisi/tasigur since they are overplayed as fuck. So glad to see all these new faces in dominaria- new commanders en masse are great for the format.

Attached: best seb.jpg (312x445, 57K)

Any suggestions for this deck?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pirate-six-alternate-wincons/

I'm also betting their 'cool new way to play' is another Commander-type format using Legendaries.

I've built this dude several times over the years and while it's amazing when you manage to curve him out and start one- or two-shotting people, he's basically unplayable in most games.

Equipping him with Unscythe feels amazing, though

Attached: 114.jpg (312x445, 68K)

It'll probably be some dumb variant that utilizes that battlebond set coming out. Inb4 its literally just 2 headed giant but for commander. (which already exists)

Deadeye Navigator and Cloudstone Curio to get around Unearth exile and to trigger your ETB creatures.

The manabase is really bad. If you're on super budget, at least add Terramorphic Expanse and a few of the two-color tapped lands. You're never going to reliably cast your stuff with 30 basics in 3 colors.

It wouldn't be surprising if it was involving two-headed giant since they mentioned a 2HG rules change in the Dominaria release notes.

>Person in play groups complains about pub stomping
>Literally brings a Tier 1 turn 2 Win Deck to a causual EDH tournament at a brand new lgs

I hate this fucker so much. It’s one thing to play degenerate combo decks up against players you know, and who know what you are doing. It’s an entire other thing to play degenerate combo decks against literal nine year olds and middle schoolers playing practically unchanged pre-cons. I swear if I end up snapping and stabbing this guy to death it’ll be worth the prison time.

>causual EDH tournament
What does this even mean? If it's a tournament why wouldn't you play a tier 1 deck?

I mean it was set up more to gage what the EDH community was rather than anything high profile or valuable prizes. The store has literally been open barely over a week.

I'm assuming it's a "for-fun" tournament without any real prizes, something to attract people to the store. In which case it's a pretty scumfucker move to bring a cEDH deck, but then again only the scummiest faggots play cEDH

I prefer open play nights with no prizes or set pods but you better believe if there's anything on the line I'm going full cedh

Even if it's just a playmat or something? That's a pretty dick move, like pretending to be retarded so you can compete in the special olympics.

Say hello to your new general, if someone ask for i could dig for the best cards to take advantage from her abilities (like stealing an opponent creature then sac it with her first ability, helping enabling her second ability for example)

Attached: 151.jpg (312x445, 45K)

Karlov is a better lifegain general

he 's a very good general for sure yes, but i feel like there isn't many way to abuse it. I would be glad to be proved wrong tho

Serra Ascendant.
Ajani's Pridemate is also super good, just not in commander.

If you want a deck that steals and sacs creatures there are far better generals than Ayli. If you want a deck that gains life there's no better two-color general than Karlov and arguably no other better commander period other than Oloro

What's everyone's favorite basics?
pic related.

Attached: mtg basics of choice.png (2827x800, 5.89M)

hello guys,i'm new to EDH and i want to play a super annoying land destruction deck, featuring cancer cards like mana vortex or quicksilver fountain, which general should i pick ? Any card to advise also ?

Attached: 233.jpg (312x445, 52K)

He's a worse waifu.

Got a list?

I do, but it's not very tuned. I haven't built it in paper yet.

Then how do you know he is the best lifegain commander?

By looking at other lists.

guru's lands are my fav, but way too expensive for my poorfag's ass. The new unstable ones are sexy too. Eurolands are nice too, and in a regular edition i would probably pick Ravnica, Urza's saga, Avacyn and shadow over innistrad (in this order), special mention for the rivals of ixalan's ones too, one of the few things they didn't messed up too much lately

Attached: 195.jpg (312x445, 35K)

>land destruction
Numot the Devastator or Zurgo Helmsmasher

So pulling shit out your ass with no empirical basis, gotcha.

Or maybe the fact that he has better lifegain payoffs and isn't a muddled mess of two mechanics one of which isn't well suited for Orzhov colors. You gain life, you kill people with commander damage, you exile anything that's a threat. With Ayli you build some weird Act of Treason/reanimator deck which doesn't leave as much room for lifegain. She is a much better reanimator general than Karlov though, probably one of the better reanimator generals in Orzhov colors if not the best.

thanks for the input, Numot is indeed a very nice gem you found me, thanks for that but i'm not sure to understand the zurgo choice, mind to light up my lantern user?

Attached: 1501881366749.jpg (597x800, 274K)

Depends on the deck. I do try to flavorfully match to the color/theme of the deck. For example in BW I would pick the swampiest plains and the plainsiest swamps.

Play Zurgo, play Jokulhaups/Obliterate/etc., win.
Something Naya might be good too since that gives you access to the most land destruction (including the good old Goblin Sharpshooter combo).

>Play Zurgo, play Jokulhaups/Obliterate/etc., win.

that's not my goal tho, i just want to disgut other players at the table, the longer they suffer, the better. I want to be white stax-tier of annoyingness, my dream would be to disgut them so much they stop to play mtg on the spot/ kill themselves of hopelessness..
any idea ?

Attached: 1519500189768.jpg (657x527, 47K)

like.. not having wincons other than ragequite would be perfectly fine for me

Numot's probably the best then, since you can play a bunch of pillowfort cards (Ghostly Prison, Kazuul, Propaganda, etc) and tutor up your mass land destruction and just drag the game on endlessly. Throw in an Elixir of Immortality so you'll never deck yourself and you're gold.

>mfw they come out with a better karador
i want to die

Attached: 1511533790947.gif (393x561, 1.55M)

Sylvan Library kinda, wouldn't focus too much on the lifegain in GW though. Consider enchantress

Am I reading Hallar the Firefletcher correctly?

There's the first trigger for adding on the +1 counter when you cast a spell with kicker

Then after the spell resolves you deal damage equal to the number of +1 counters on it

Does the spell have to have been kicked to deal the damage, or does it happen for each spell you cast -- Because if it's just on spells cast that's broken as shit with basic +1 counter cards like Soul's Might.

Playing at an LGS or with a kitchen table group?
Either way if you're just gonna blow up the board for jokes then you're gonna struggle maintaining people to play with.

That ability only triggers when you cast a kicked spell. if you cast a spell without a kicker, the ability won't trigger at all. However it just deals damage equal to the number of counters, it doesn't care how they got there. So you could use +1 counter cards on him over and over then kick any spell to set off a nuke.

You're not.
>Whenever you cast a spell, if that spell was kicked, put a +1/+1 counter on Hallar, the Firefletcher, then Hallar deals damage equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it to each opponent.
>, then
>, THEN
It's all one trigger.

Thank god, that's what I thought. I'm waiting on more kicker spells to be revealed before I finalise my build -- A lot of the current kicker spells are kinda so-so, aside from big spells like Comet Storm and odd little tech like Vines of Vastwood.

>Then after the spell resolves you deal damage equal to the number of +1 counters on it
That's not how any triggered ability works. In the stack, they don't slip below the thing that triggered it and resolve after it.

it costs twice as much, is affected by commander tax, and can’t play boonweaver giant. it’s a better (debatable) damia.

Is tribal a permanent type?

Could I play Bitterblossom as a tribal permanent and then also a different enchantment?

Tribal is a supertype, but it counts as its own card type because of marketing bullshit, so yes.

test of endurance

lifegain should usually be a secondary strategy, and if it isn't, then you should expect to stall games out until you draw into your lifegaining wincon.

my kambal lifegain deck actually wins a ton of games because it's a pillowforting and controlling pile of poo that only gains life and doesn't do anything until the turn it wins with some meme shit like test of endurance, hatred or reservoir

No, just like "basic" and "legendary" aren't permanent types, they are supertypes.

Tribal is a card type because of Tarmogoyf, even though it's actually a supertype.

110.4. There are five permanent types: artifact, creature, enchantment, land, and planeswalker. Instant and sorcery cards can’t enter the battlefield and thus can’t be permanents. Some tribal cards can enter the battlefield and some can’t, depending on their other card types. See section 3, “Card Types.”
tl;dr: no, it's not a permanent type.

Card types include everything, but Muldrotha only cares about Permanent types, and tribal is not considered a permanent type.

Card types only include actual types. Super- and subtypes aren't card types aside from Tribal.

>doesn't use sidisi/tasigur since they are overplayed as fuck
>immediately jumps on the latest BUG bandwagon to avoid being on other BUG bandwagons

Hahahaha, you're retarded.

>another broken bullshit combo commander that i'll have to autoinclude rest in peace against
Meanwhile instead of a honest to god Boros equipment tutor commander I get some lifelink memer and yet useless angel bitch that recurs shit that I shouldn't need to recur.
Fuck wotc with a railroad spike.

i wouldn't worry about muldrotha nearly as much as the UR artificer legend or the RG tokens legend. both will most likely combo/storm out the moment they hit the board from turn 4 onward. muldrotha, on the other hand, seems to mostly grind massive value and grind people down, except for some specific combos like e-witness/archaeomancer/mnemonic-wall/skullwinder + an extra turn spell.

pls i'm a small mimeoplasm player who loves to make a 25/25 commander-emrakul and smash face, pls no grave hate

It's what you get for playing the literal fucking worst colour combination.

Dubs gets to decide the color of my new commander.

mono white

Boros.

Boros!

monowhite

Jund

Muldrotha will get played both as staxy crap and removal insurance for dumb UGx combo bullshit. Mimeoplasm players deserve a swift kick to the nuts, they always rush T2 jin gitaxias and whine if somebody dares remove it.
The only thing that keeps Boros the "worst" color combo is that there is no truly decent commander in the bunch - almost all of them are based on making huge commitments to fragile board states that leave you bleeding card advantage if somebody has mass removal. Boros optimally should be resilient and be able to fetch specific answers for degenerate boardstates. I run a literal french vanilla as my commander (Tajic) because every other option is so much worse. I guess Brion can occasionally pubstomp on a lucky draw.

We have a winner!

Play the new Darigaaz, pussy.

>Mimeoplasm players deserve a swift kick to the nuts, they always rush T2 jin gitaxias and whine if somebody dares remove it.

no i dont

Urza' Saga islands and plains
Mirage mountains also swamps
Alpha/ beta/ unli./ revised 4 edition forest

I can dig this.
What is this meme, or is there just a lot of monowhite/boros players?

Boros is the shittiest color combo possible so everyone wants to fuck you over

More likely commander draft/sealed rules.

>play edh at a store with some regulars
>build niv mizzet meme deck
>they complain it's unfun and uninteractive
>ok
>guy at the table suggests I might like phenax mill
>I decide for memes instead to build a planeswalker mill deck
>It's meh but it wins sometimes
>They complain it's not for or interactive because I run omniscience and enter the infinite as a win condition
>Ok
>Make an angel creature deck
>I almost never win with it
>Sometimes I get lucky because the table ignores me so I can finish everyone else off when they're weak
>Some guy bitches and moans that the deck is unfun because I run angel of the dire hour
>Fine
>Some guy at the table says I should get the draconic domination commander deck
>Ok
>Replace the landbase to be not awful
>Stuff in some board clear and enchantment removal
>Add in gisela and dragon lord kologhan just in case
>Usually lose but sometimes win
>When I win they all complain the deck is unfun and that I win all the time
I don't know what to do. Two other people at the table always play Brago or Meren
The guy who complains the most (to be fair I do always focus him) is always one turn away from pulling off some obscene infinite combo but I manage to at least kill him in time.
I honestly don't see how my creature based deck with almost no instants could possibly be seen as not interactive. What is a 'fun' deck when fighting a Brago player?
What am I doing wrong? I have another deck I play. Literally just random planeswalkers, it has no actual win condition. No spell damage, no creature damage, just meme emblems and some board wipes and they still hate it
My dragon deck takes several turns to get started, another guy plays a creature token deck that kills you in 3 turns but they never bitch about that.
I don't know what to do

Dominaria is making my EDH dick so erect.

Yes, you do.

Find a new group?

It's amazing how much better Boros gets when you just add Black for card advantage.

Stop playing with spergs. These guys are weapons-grade autism.

There are several Boros generals better than Tajic unless you absolutely need that indestructibility.

First off, you need a new group. Straight up. You're playing with Brago and Meren cancer and they have the gall to call your deck unfun and uninteractive? They can suck a fuck. Second, having "almost no instants" does not make your deck more interactive. In fact, having answers, especially instant speed ones, is a big part of interaction.

Is I'm looking at making a Maralen deck, what's some good tech to protect her and deny my opponents the search until I drop big daddy Ob Nixilis of course

Attached: 1520778905844.jpg (223x310, 13K)

Or when you just don't overextend like 75% of boros players seem to do.