Why/how did you choose your army Veeky Forums?

Why/how did you choose your army Veeky Forums?
Do you stick to one?

Attached: 1519979773739.jpg (877x620, 77K)

Ig, i like tanks and there is no other army that has real tanks
I do have a second, third, fourth and even a fifth arny, but i am still loyal to my IG

I read a sentence that stated the the Orks are the best. Honestly they haven't let me down yet.

I have probably 5.
>Pure Death Guard,
because I've always liked Nurgle since I was a kid and when I got back into the hobby after a long time away I felt like getting them.

>Blood Angels
are just fucking cool. They have the best loyalist primarch (rip) and I like painting red.

>Orkz iz best.
I'm doing Deathskulls because I like the lore and colours.

>Necrons
I wanted to paint them Nihilakh because the colour scheme is awesome.

> Chaos soup list.

Since some stuff can't be used in the DG codex in 8th now I need to find a use for my models. I also have Demons for the fun of it.

I also have 2 fantasy armies and starting AOS.

I have a serious problem.

Funnily enough, I started out with IG because Ciaphas Cain is literally what got me into 40k in the first place.
After that, I was going to do Necrons as my first NPC army, but one of the friends I started 40k with was already starting Necrons and I didn't want to double up.
Eventually I went with Deathwatch basically just cuz I wanted to play Space Marines without having to commit to a chapter. I ended up falling in love with their ability to take single terminators.
Right now, I'm beginning the foray into a World Eaters CSM army, cuz they're the god-aligned Legion I like the most.

Tau, because I love the aesthetic of Fire Warriors. I enjoy playing them like a psuedo-Guard army, with lots of infantry supported by tanks and small amounts of suits. No riptides.

Started with spess mahreens in 4th as that was my primary intro to the setting. Bought some IG to use as PDF troops for some scenario games, won an IG battle force box at a tourney and before I knew it had 1000 pts of IG. Played them using the old drop regiment rules and had a blast. Really began to dig the Joe Average in a nightmarish shitshow angle as we had a lot of CSM/Daemons/Tyranid players at my lgs. Been my main army ever since.

Attached: 1411958837146.jpg (800x913, 150K)

I've got a bunch of single units I particularly like from other factions, but my army is and will probably always be Necrons. How it happened was like this.
>Be 12, looking around in my LGS at all the cool models.
>See a really nice metal Lord of Change.
>Oh fuck though that price tag. That's a lot of allowance.
>What can I get for cheaper?
>Eyes find necron warriors box.
>Hey, those look pretty cool. Pick up them and have a blast putting together the scarab swarms and the gauss guns.
>Get the codex.
>find out that not only are these guys cool skeletons, they're cool skeleton terminator soul-cages controlled by nightmarish elder gods, one of which is also the grim reaper.
>Everything little 12 year old me could ever want.
I made a whole regiment for my dudes as necrons from a scrapyard forge world and painted them all rusty. It was great.

I also ended up starting up a Lizardman army as well, but it was much smaller and then Fantasy died and I didn't have anyone to play with. Pity too, they were really fun to paint.

Attached: necrons.gif (640x480, 732K)

Attached: b37.jpg (270x187, 13K)

Lizardmen for WFB because they're fucking cool.

Tau for W40K because they could field Tarellians which are basically just lizardmen.

Attached: kroq-GUTS.jpg (900x1125, 214K)

I do not play, because the prices of this game are just horrendous. I still like the setting and I am interested in the game.

I would definitely play Sisters for the style. But you see, that doesn't really make the whole pricing issue any better.

>AoS
Slaves to Darkness because buying a single army that can be played in 6 different ways is great - for now that's my only AoS army and I don't want to get another one for a long while.
>40k
Bought a Tau start collecting but done some math and they turned out to be quite expensive even for 1000pts games. Meanwhile, GW released plastic Banana Boiz so I bought two boxes of custodian guard and a box of bikes. Funny army but hard as fuck to magnetize. Still, want to start an ork army one day but God help me - they are even more expensive than Tau and greentide is the only way to play them right now so I'm gonna wait for a codex

Attached: Dis+post+now+belongs+to+da+orks+tunnel+squids+_542cd245c29c08488f29975585b7745a.jpg (750x521, 86K)

Started with Dank Angles. Got bored with the every box being tailored to be used for Ultramarines so I started a Fallen army. Currently have 1600 points of infantry repainted about a rhino/squad and a half to go.

It got a little too expensive to order their bling. Now can I tell people they're loyalists and get a chuckle before steadily losing.

I like Gold

Space wolves because vikings
Dwarfs in wfb because dwarfs are the best and also slayers

>Spehs Mehreens
My favorite thing in Fantasy is ridiculous plate armor, so naturally I was drawn to the ridiculous space paladins in space-plate.
I've since started Chaos Daemon, Chaos Marines, a dash of traitor guard with a Baneblade kitbashed with a Chaos Warshrine from Fantasy, and Dark Eldar since I like their models, but my choices lead me to believe that I could just be a low-key edgelord.
I was also going to get into Warhams Fantasy with Warriors of Chaos for basically the same reason, but then the AoS rumors dropped and I dodged a bullet big time.

Admech, because i like their Fallout-esque appearance for some of their weapons. And i like their lighning fast gameplay, make everything less boring.

Also, they are one of the best faction in term of pure aesthetic.

And out-mecha the designated mecha faction would be funny as hell.

>Do you stick with one?

Not really, i have some of Dark Angels stuff, even thought i rarely play them.

Attached: 1519029181225.jpg (1920x1080, 163K)

My first Army was AdMech. I picked them a year before 8th. I didn't start playing until 8th. I've got a Dread/termie IH vanguard detachment that i might use from time to time as a supplementary force.

I love big, fancy, stupidly spindly machines, and creepy cult asthetics. I also adore body horror, Cybernetics, Murder Robots, and the feeling of pretending to be smartee than everyone else.

Skitarii are cool, and sexy cyborg babes.

Attached: 1519831134051.png (501x826, 621K)

>Admech

Attached: 1517699908962.gif (485x521, 454K)

admech a cute

Orks.
then Orcs and Goblins, but only the goblins. I reasoned that I already had Orks.

half IG, half sisters.

I wanted to play as the humans.

Attached: 346545765867987978978907.jpg (750x1000, 227K)

I picked orks because I like the ramshackle appearance of their gear and their technology. I like that you can run them semi-organized but still with crude technology that shouldn't work.

Beyond that, I also have an Eldar army that I purchased from a guy for $100 (It had a few dozen guardians, some wraithlords, Avatar, platforms, and wave serpents, and then I added a few war walkers and more guardians to it) that I used to use on occasion, and then I finally made a Lost and the Damned army using the siege of Vraks and Imperial Armor books because I wanted to run a Tzeentchian PDF/IG force. It doesn't work so well compared to the other two, but it has the benefit that most people don't complain about me using it.

Read that old gw site that ran a campaign between orks and tau, the name "slugga boy" immediately won me over.
Recently I moved to Tau because I like infantry over tanks, they're anime mechas with great infantry synergy, and dakkadakkadakkadakka.

Looked at the rosters for each fat ion, and read the flavor text for some of their units. Then made a bracket of me-approved groups and alternate between them.

Snowflake factor is my number one choice and yes I stick with one because I'm spread thin across multiple games

Also, ORks because Looted stuff is fun. Looted Grav-Tanks (with grots dragging it with chains), Looted Dreadnaught (we deffdred now), Looted Carnifex!

I like extremes army. So either I will drown my opponent in models or I will always be outnumbered three to one. That's why I started with Orks and am now loving the Custodes. I also don't like painting on flat surfaces so boxy or flat vehicles are a nono. Good thing Orks and Custodes don't have that problem.

Attached: tumblr_p36wzwVSB41vjjcaco1_1280.jpg (1280x796, 320K)

Oh, I also really, really like the idea of an arch-heretic having enough charisma to spring from the dregs of society to overthrow the ruling caste of an industrial world, even if the changer of ways did have a hand in getting him there. Also, he's deluded enough to truly believe what he's doing is for the betterment of the people of the sector by casting off the shackles of imperial authority, mainly because they have a huge mutant population which is at best treated as disposable slave labor and at worst vermin to be exterminated.

Attached: 1320784757865.jpg (880x1200, 333K)

Tau because I always loved power armour and small mecha. I'm kinda meh on the big suits, I just love running huge numbers of battlesuits and stealthsuits, going full mobile infantry with it. I'm kinda sad they lost Jump Shoot Jump, but I'm hoping the new codex makes up for it and lets me still have fun with my fluffy battlesuit spam lists.

Got into 40k during late 5th ed and I was set on picking up SM from the start, strictly because of fluff and aesthetic reasons. The way the army played on the table top did not matter to me. It took me way longer to settle on a Chapter than it did an army but eventually I came across the Flesh Tearers and they were just a perfect fit.

I have been considering starting a Footdar army, but that probably won't happen until plastic Aspect Warriors are a thing.

Attached: FT_Astartes.png (840x907, 954K)

i assume 40K. because i play many wargames....

>bud played mini games
> i was interested.
>come play WH40K
>1997, so, second edition
>i get to play his offhand collection: some Guardians and Rangers, with a spare farseer.
>other side gets 2 players too.
>fun
>funforsure.jpg

each edition has been a rollercoaster ride, but i've always loved my Craftworld Eldar, especially the Rangers....

Attached: DSCN3980.jpg (4000x3000, 4.9M)

They were cheap.
No, I'm trying to collect small 30 to 40 miniature forces from all the factions/races I can.

I play BattleTech and pure faction fagging is not really a thing in that game. It's a sci-fi pseudo-historical so you end up playing as everyone really. If you're asking what forces I personally have painted, that's a different story (can't afford to have a force of everyone painted up, shit's expensive yo). I currently have a ComStar Level III, a Free Worlds League company, a custom mercenary company named Carlson's Cavaliers, and a Taurian Concordat expanded company with attached vehicle maniple (pic attached). I also have some minor painted stuff, like a Clan Wolverine Star, a lance of Death Commandos, a generic Draconis Combine lance, and some one-off minis like a Battle Magic UrbanMech and a VEST Sasquatch.

Attached: Taurian Guard.jpg (3264x2448, 1.41M)

Blessed be the eldar.

Got into tau b/c I loved the look of their infantry and vehicles back in 4th/5th.
Later got into tyranid as and alt army for variety b/c they are the literal opposite of tau.

>mfw I have 500-2000 points of Eldar, Dark Eldar, Harlequins, Orks, Necrons, Tyranids, Genestealers, Tau, Admech, Death Guard and also 3 Imperial Knights, along with a few Marines, most of them deathwatch. I also have a bunch of Sylvaneth models from AoS.
>mfw like 70 percent all of this shit is still in their boxes.

I don't even know senpai.
Seems like I just buy shit for the hell of it, and barely ever actually do anything with the shit I buy.

Attached: what's wrong with me.jpg (499x433, 34K)

When I was a kid I picked Craftworld Eldar because I thought the faces on Guardians' helmets were their actual faces and they looked like Protoss. I was sorely disappointed when I realized my mistake.

When I started playing again more recently, I picked Dark Eldar because I enjoy their aesthetics and I like to play the bad guy. Then I picked Scions as a second army because they reminded me of ODSTs and other paratroopers, which I always had a hardon for in my youth. Nothing's cooler than a bunch of somewhat regular guys dropping down from the heavens to take important enemy installations in a surgical strike. I just ignore the 2edgy4u fluff.

>Why/how did you choose your army Veeky Forums?
Was forced to use the Dark Eldar from the 3rd edition starter set and hated them. Wanted dudes in better armor, loved Deathwing termies and my favourite color is green, so I went and bought a Dark Angels codex.
>Do you stick to one?
Obviously no.

It's fairly normal hobby behavior.
My armchair psychologist explanation is that because most of this hobby revolves around your imagination we tend to fall in love with the idea of doing something, rather than loving doing the actual thing. That is why we end up with lots of grandiose plans and nothing to show for it except ridiculous backlogs.

>we tend to fall in love with the idea of doing something, rather than loving doing the actual thing.
this is correct

Started with Chaos, back in 5th/6th, because BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD and all the /b/ Warhammer memes.Wanted to pick up either Guard or Necrons, but my lgs shut down.

Now a decade later, I found another LGS. I have a thousandish plus points of Chaos, but I'm really in love with the design of Ad Mech. I'm not sure if I should try to get back into the scene, or not.

I always want to get back into warhammer, but the nearest FLGS is in Houston, 100 miles away from me. There was one closer, but it keeps shutting down periodically and a new one opens in its place, right now there's currently none open that play Warhammer, only MTG.

>AdMech
Best looking shit, decent army competitively. Slow and steady play style.

>Deldar
Complete 180 from admech play style. Neat athstetic. Loads of customization.

I've always liked playing as humans/regular men, also when I was introduced to 40k by a friend of mine he hinted that there was no IG player in they group so I could take that spot with no problem
>Do you stick to one?
I have two armies now, IG and a smaller force of Space Wolves that I got mostly because I had the occasion of buying codex and minies for a very low price from friends that left the hobby or changed army

Pic related my first hobby purchase

Attached: stuff.jpg (1456x2592, 942K)

Imperial Guard, Standard Humans using tech to fight the horrors of the Universe.

I'm gonna be starting an IG army because I have always been a sucker for the common man and regular troopers facing off against unspeakable terrors. However I also really love the Orks and already want to get into them in the future.

Attached: ollanius pius.jpg (450x494, 128K)

Have 2 armies right now and building up a third.

>Necrons
My first army, got them because they look cool as fuck and didn't want to play a marine chapter, others didn't interest me at the time.
>Sylvaneth
Currently painting and building this army. Bought because the models are beautiful and can be painted with many seasonal themes.
>Imperium
Mostly started because of the new Celestine and Custodes models. Will definitely build into an actual army if any models I find interesting come out plastic sisters

I first started in whfb playing high elves during 6th edition. After a while I grew to like 40k more and more. Was contemplating on getting into it, was on the fence between eldar and space wolves.

Local GW was having an auction of stock. A lot of space wolf Terminator blister packs came up on the block. No one else entered a bid after be a while and the auctioneer lowered the price to something like 15(cad) for the 5 blisters of terminators. So considering I already wanted to get into 40k and the price was to good to pass up I bought them and haven't looked back.

15 years later I've around 6k of space wolves.

Starting on a genestealer cult army recently. Like the look of the army and feels quite different from my main army. The recent cult insurrection box also helped this choice. Was on the fence with tzzentch deamons.

Tl;Dr I choose armies based on what I like and eventually pull the trigger on buying when a good deal comes around

>Crimson Fists
I got way into Bolt Thrower, and this art was on one of their best albums.

Turns out their also one of the most storied not-first founding chapters as a bonus, and lots of sexy trophy winning models, and one of the 'good guys' of 40k

Attached: RT-Crimson_Fists_Chapter_Last_Stand.jpg (734x460, 87K)

A friend of mine was getting rid of his unused miniatures for WH40k. He said I could have the whole lot for $40. Turns out they were mostly Dark Angels. Thus, I now am painting a Dark Angels army.

I got Daemons back when they had a codex two editions out of date because the random elements were fun as fuck. Then an issue of white dwarf came out that powered up specific units that put 40k Daemons in a very competitive spot. Then a codex came out that hit them hard with the nerf bat so they would suck again. That's when I quit playing 40k.

AdMech werent an army when I started, so I played Chaos Batmen (Night Lords) because I liked the look of the old metal Raptors.

But gothic cybernetic body horror is totally my thing. The moment forgeworld started releasing 30k AdMech units I had a new main army.

I played (Old)Necrons cause they looked like Terminators, and Terminators are fucking rad. Plus, did you see that fucking huge Monolith they have?

Started with Orks in 2e, led by Nazdreg (which wasn't a super fun time as it was the Herohammer era and my main opponents were BAngles running Dante and Mephisto and Chaos running Abaddon and Kharn), then I rebuilt and remodelled my Orks as Blood Axes when we transferred over to 3rd ed. Also mustered a small force of Thousand Sons.

Quit playing in 4th ed and lost/got rid of all my stuff, then got back into it on the tail end of 7th. Picked up a bunch of Marines just to practice and have fun painting again, then moved to Dark Eldar which I actually started playing in 8th. Have also bought but not yet painted/assembled 1000 points or so of Orks and another 1000 points of Tzeentch Daemons, which look like they'll be my next project to paint and play with.

Attached: 1520066002153.jpg (674x904, 159K)

I started with SM when I was younger and getting back into the game it seemed right to get back into them after dabbling in guard in the interim. I like combined arms and mechanised troops, heavy armour, and the feeling of space knights on a thankless crusade. Im playing a lesser known chapter this time, which means I can make them my dudes a bit more.

My first army was Sphess Mareens, but that was because the idiot at the local GW shop pressed it on me due to being a new player this was back at the very beginning of 3rd Ed.

My first REAL army was IG because when I was looking through the shelves at all the armies the guard looked badass as fuck and that was the army I wanted more than any of the others. as I played them, expanded my collection and their rules changed they just kept getting better and better. Reading their fluff had only solidified them as my favorite faction with badasses like Pius, Yarrick, Gaunt, and the entirety of Krieg.

I ended up getting DE after their 5th Ed redesign because they looked pretty neat and I wanted a non imperial army

Currently I hold hope Sisters don't get squatted and in prep for GW to finally get their shit together and start releasing sisters I ended up getting the old pewter heavy weapons, the cannoness, few priests and banners, and the raging hero's "totally not Saint Celestine" Saint Celestine model. And Veridyan because it is a sweet ass mini. Wound up liking them because their units were fun to paint

Ended up dabbling into an eldar howling banshee army because I like the vibrant colors schemes of the eldar and banshees are good as hell

Attached: aQe3yMd_700b.jpg (640x897, 115K)

First I wanted to have the army regular dudes fighting and dieing against inhuman cosmic horrors so I went with imperial guard.

Once I was in the hobby and found that I loved conversions and kit bashing I switched to orks because I can customize everything.

Here are two warkoptas I'm working on.

Attached: IMG_20180311_205310503.jpg (4320x2432, 3.53M)

Got a cheap deal.

This is my Huey and my pelikan Warkoptas. I will likely make another pelikan at some point. I building up to three of these Boyz so that I can deepstrike 24 to 30 nobs and my warboss on to the heads of my enemies.

I like space robot skeletons who utilize SCIENCE

BT since I started collecting while I was still an edgy faggot, still am tho

Attached: 300px-Blacktempbeinbadass.jpg (300x455, 23K)

>Barely anyone here started Eldar

I was between them or Nids, and through a combination of cool looking wraithguard and much more wallet-friendly pricing I stuck with the space-elves

Still miffed that there's no plastic banshees

Attached: 1387603795581.png (613x600, 30K)

funny that, i liked the Eldar a whole hell of a lot a few years before i actually got into the hobby
now that i am in i havent even touched them

I picked Imperial Guard 'cause I like tanks and military stuff. I like the simple brutalist design of their models.
Also, they're humans, and I like that.

Cool conversions. My old (now dead) gaming club bought a bunch of Orks to use as a club army, and we had a lot of fun converting the snot out of everything.
I donated a bunch of old IG and WW2 model tanks to the project, and we made a pretty cool Ork Battle Fortress out of a 1/35 Maus and some Baneblade-bits.
I don't know where it all ended up, probably in the basement of some other guys parents. I asked him the other day to see if it's still all down there, but I think it might have gotten thrown out.

Always been a big Fists fag, and after reading about the ultima founding shit and looking at different people's dudes I decided to do a Fists successor instead. I figured it'd be neat thing to do since I was new to the game myself, and even though everyone and their mother plays them I just can't help but love Marines.

>Do you stick to one?
I'm planning on starting a Bad Moons army next and kit bashing the fuck out of them. I love how fucking retarded the orks are and the Bad Moons specifically offer plenty of hilarious opportunities for conversion.

Attached: 1520042402413.png (600x502, 72K)

I picked CSm because I like writing stories about my Space Pirates and their various captains, commanders, and adventures after I finish a game. Plus as the Evil Guy faction, I don't have too struggle coming up with reasons why my army is fighting someone, like I do with my Mechanicum army.
Plus all the Dinobots fulfills my love of big monsters at my command without the difficulty of painting Tyranids.

I started playing because my friend did. he picked up one of those start your army boxes witha shitload of marines, so I did as well, except for Chaos, knowing fuck all about them.

that was a long time ago and I haven't played in forever, I just recently picked up both a start collecting for Death Watch and Orks, mostly just cause I want to paint shit and make models.

..though lately I have been eyeing the Admech cause god damn if their aesthetic shit aint my kind of thing.

>Admech cause god damn if their aesthetic shit aint my kind of thing.
good man

I feel like an unhappy, soulless robot most of the time, so it fits pretty well I think.

Attached: Necron_Cover_Art.jpg (1329x1776, 1.04M)