Cyberpunk 2020

How is this system? I don't really know anything about it besides it inspiring other cyberpunk systems and settings. I saw the book at my local game store in the discount rack for $6, picked it up to thumb through and decided to buy it because it looked neat.

Attached: Cyberpunk_1024x1024.jpg (786x1024, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hunter-seeker.obsidianportal.com/
ambient.ca/cpunk/alternatebulletdamage.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a pretty good system, the only problem it is is that it could be drastically improved by using something other than a d10 for almost everything

Fuck you, the elegance of "die roll (1-10) + stat (1-10) + skill (1-10) vs target number" is the best part of the system. Only people who masturbate to bell curves want to use 2d6 or some shit instead - and you already have your bell curve in the end result since all the shit you add up forms one.

CP2020 has weaknesses though, and the biggest probably is how the armor system is very all-or-nothing - either you take no damage, or you get your guts blown on the floor.

It's shit.
Solos will dominate if a situation ever degenerates into violence, Reflexes is a godstat (expect your players to min-max the fuck out of INT and REF for those extra skill points), it has that 80s clunkfest feel.

But its setting and feel are solid gold, and well worth ripping off for use with a better system.

>Solos will dominate if a situation ever degenerates into violence

That is LITERALLY their point.

Yes, but
>using classes at all
>in a modern setting

Attached: cackling sluts.jpg (553x496, 55K)

Now that's a fair point. Classes in general are kind of stupid when the system is otherwise point-buy and doesn't need any of that.

However, any "I played only D&D and cannot conceive of games that don't work like it" faggot who cries about solos being best in combat (when they LITERALLY are in-lore supposed to be the best in combat, and are autistically overspecialized for it as a class) can jump i front of a truck right away.

It is kind of shitty if someone's playing a Netrunner or Cop and pretty much gets a "well, you survived at least" result of combat after the Solo just slaughters the dumbfuck Inquisitors retarded enough to try and gank the group.

I stole a lot of the weapons and fluff for a Savage Worlds cyberpunk game I did, it went really, really well. The Adam Jensen ripoff one of my players played was easily MVP on multiple occasions, up to and including sneaking into a South American work camp by snapping a guard's neck and stealing his uniform.

It's a very good game and system that needs some tweaks to adapt to modern sensibilities.

Namely:

>update the tech from the 1980s
>go class-less
>fewer skills
>nerf skinweave
>tweak some armor values
>don't allow PCs access to every toy

Attached: 1340708668275.jpg (800x508, 49K)

1 in 10 fumble rolls

ONE IN TEN!!!

1 in 20, actually, as you have to roll a second die and only 1-5 on that one is anything bad.

So pretty much in line with anything d20 based...

I somewhat enjoy the 1980s retro futurism. Cellphones being buggy is funny, but all the neat little appliances you can buy off of the pseudo shopping catalogs really touches a spot that shadowrun barely dabbles on.

Well if you enjoy it that way then you're all set to go!

If you want a tweaked version then someone did modernize it into a homebrew called Hunter//Seeker:

hunter-seeker.obsidianportal.com/

you forgot
>Netrunners

my gm would never let anyone play them.

I've played a lot of Cyberpunk and it's actually not a great system. With a bit of houseruling it's fine, but really in this day and age there are much better game systems you can use to run a cyberpunk game, starting with Cybergeneration (the system, not the goofy setting).

Mike Pondsmith himself accepts this, his most recent system, "Fuzion", uses 3d6 as its main dice roll.

They're not really classes tho, they determine ONE skill. And the class skills in CP2020 aren't skills like the regular skills are, they represent actual investments of time and exclusivity. The Nomad's family supports him because he has proven his loyalty over and over, the Suit has access to all those resources not because he's rich, but because he has a whole career of networking and brown-nosing behind him, its reasonable to make these exclusive "class" skills imo.

Protip: Get better weapons. I recommend explosives. Explosives don't care about reflexes OR armor!

Yeah they need work. the problem with them is really that the game goes on "pause" while the runner does his thing, which is boring for the other players. Maybe somethign as simple as the "moving spotlight" mechanic from Blade of the iron Throne would do it? Like, the runner does one significant thing in his run, and the action goes back to the real world for a scene? Idk really.

i like cp2020 quite a bit, but my playgroups arent the most experienced table top players for the flaws be super obvious. most experience my players have are 5e maybe pathfinder.

i straight up say no to skin weave and only let them start with common guns. i also have a weird house rule for luck ive been wanting to try out but have been too busy to try. i might try it out in a premade one off and get feedback.

i also have a session 0 and dont give out pdfs either. i find that just giving the players knowledge of their skills, cybernetics, and guns is all they need. gameplay is so smooth if they just tell you what they want their character to do and expect me to reply with the call for them to roll.

maybe im a shitty dm in your guys' eyes but my players digg it. less reading/investment for a superior experience.

cp2020 has flaws, but i love it to death.

It’s easy to learn, character creation is fast (if you use automated lifepathes or just drop it), gameplay is quick and deadly. It doesn’t have the best system for netrunning, but netrunners can do cool stuff without having to hack datafortresses. If you don’t like something, there’s probably a houserule available on the net to fix it (the system is very mod-friendly).

From my experience, CP2020 works best with medium to high powered characters (55 to 65 character points and no skill higher than 7). My advice is to start playing it as it is out of the box and only then to incorporate houserules (if you want). I tried about every houserule I could find. In the end I switched back to 90% to the vanilla system.

People bitching about complexity and long skill lists should kill themselves. If I could play and GM this game when I was 14, then you should be able to do the same as adults.

The d10 part of it is fine. The system is flawed, however. In places, it gets overly fiddly despite having a simple core, but mostly, the actual stats it uses for stuff are all over the place.

The problem is one of over-compartmentalization of roles, which can result in much of the party feeling either like spectators or just comparative incompetents while they watch their teammate shine. Sure, they'll each get their moment in the spotlight, but that's a distinct minority of the the time. The deal with solos is that firefights are A) really important because they're literally life and death and B) they tend to be a much bigger focus of many games than the ~1/10 fraction of roles that solos represent. But really, netrunners are the biggest example of the problem of over-compartmentalization of roles.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Attached: C98E8CD5-1EE3-4EB1-B397-DF494B738C34.jpg (3264x2448, 2.04M)

What is the meaning of life?

You live so you get to play Cyberpunk 2020 and shitpost on a Laotian basketweaving forum.

The main complaint I had running and playing CP2020 was the combat system, it was great and all but it had some... peculiarities. Fortunately, I found this way back on the early internet and I'm surprised to find it's still up, I highly recommend anyone looking to play or run this game at least take a look at this first.
ambient.ca/cpunk/alternatebulletdamage.html

So I HAVE achieved true dharma and self actualisation then, ha, screw you Dad, looks like I'm not getting a job after all!

>people bitching about long skill lists should kill themselves
Tell me user, exactly when has fucking Accounting come up in your average game of deniable ops?

Attached: disapproval turtle.png (545x500, 44K)

Congratulation! Here is a picture of an Indian car for you.

Attached: A1678CF5-D60F-40FB-80B1-3A11781623B1.jpg (3264x2448, 2.14M)

Not that faggot but try playing a game with a team of Corporates and you'll see how useful such a skill can be. If you took it and the campaign turned out to be Mad Max, then your problem is lack of communication from the GM, not having too many skills to choose from.

Indians make cars now? Huh.

Cyberpunk 2020 is a generic cyberpunk game where you can play anything. It’s not specifically designed for the deniable ops genre. You could very well make a cop/media campaign where accountancy would be used to find clues and follow trails. It could also be used to hide assets, so they don’t get frozen and seized if you get arrested.

The number of skills in the character sheet doesn’t matter since you only need to pay attention to the ones you have (the ones with a number behind). Should you need to use a skill you don’t have, it’s also very simple to locate it since they’re all on the character sheet, ordered by stat and alphabetical order.

Attached: 608C19FB-8CF7-4AA3-A205-883843A345AA.jpg (1920x1271, 551K)

Attached: EF6CFCE3-AFAD-45BC-AAFD-7CD547121CA5.jpg (474x267, 35K)

Attached: 4B487968-2AE0-4D6C-81D1-A5BAC2B716B9.jpg (1920x1467, 1.05M)

I’m not a huge fan of the setting. Especially Night City was disappointing. It feels extremely dated and it doesn’t have this giant sprawl vibe.

Attached: 44A1F755-7B72-46FE-91AD-FA1407A7C260.jpg (1000x1500, 153K)

Attached: 90399722-ED7F-4C7F-9EFC-DF8189B5075A.jpg (636x871, 100K)

Attached: F3CC7183-D4AF-4D72-AB82-436754E2C737.jpg (639x350, 41K)

Attached: 8D570197-B4BA-4AF5-A83A-38B6B9253876.jpg (800x453, 104K)

Attached: 69D9A8C5-DD1E-43FB-A984-5E4E4C35E9E6.jpg (636x900, 112K)

Attached: 1CD4021E-1185-4C38-AEE2-F1780AB399D3.jpg (728x1008, 222K)

Attached: 8FB1E400-4DFA-4232-AEB9-DAAA4FBACA18.jpg (719x1034, 191K)

Attached: 7D0D4C9C-6B3A-4C70-8F78-7B4D61412D14.jpg (730x1041, 237K)

I compiled the most important charts in this document. You can use it for a GM screen.

Attached: CP2020 Charts.pdf (PDF, 2.48M)

And here’s a modernized character sheet.

Attached: CP2020 - Character Sheet - New.pdf (PDF, 96K)

Attached: BC8F81A0-2A94-40AC-A2AE-152588BBD92E.jpg (1186x673, 170K)

Attached: B411B7ED-EC3C-4837-A06B-6B1C7D996D3B.jpg (1200x633, 235K)

You could change the hit location system to this:

1 Head (DMG x2)
2 Torso - vitals (DMG x1.5)
3-4 Torso
5-6 Arm, right
7-8 Arm, left
9 Leg, right
0 Leg, left

Attached: DE8AA54F-FFB7-4BE2-93FF-4AE36BCD3040.jpg (734x1046, 247K)

Instead of using humanity, you could also say that people who have cyberware require some special anti-rejection drug (neuropozine in Deus Ex 3). The drug is only available in corporate clinics. A weekly dose costs HL x20eb. Failing to take a dose causes 1 point of damage per day for the first week. 2 points of damage per day for the second week. 3 the third week, etc. until the character is dead.

Attached: F656A007-0B2B-4465-9688-2D928C36DC9E.jpg (736x1104, 74K)