MTG Modern Magic General

Previously on Modern General: "Lazy Sunday night" Edition

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
What deck did you start playing modern with? What drew you to that deck, and what's changed in your deck choices/playstyle since then?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

Attached: dampingsphere.jpg (265x370, 36K)

Throw WotC and the investors in the gas chamber together.

What is the best build of Death's Shadow in our new jund overlord's world?

Do we keep going with grixis or do we switch to a tarmogoyf / traverse plan?

I don't play the deck myself so take this with a grain of salt but Goyf/Traverse + a splash of blue for Stub seems like the best route going forward.

I think Traverse just splashed blue for the counterspell, plebbitor

The Traverse build (feat. Stubby D) seems to be winning out.

Any potential in this card?

Attached: Image.png (223x311, 115K)

So is this a bad time to be building Hollow One? What's the most future-proof deck right now?

no

Not in this meta possibly.

>What's the most future-proof deck right now?
human my dude

Esper my man

Merfolk to be honest. It'll always be Tier 2 and can win FNMs. Tropical solves a lot of problems Merfolk had before with Affinity. Infect is still a problem, but you can win if you play bad targeted removal like Unsummon.

Honestly, just get the Fetchlands and Shocks. Everything else would fall in place

>What's the most future-proof deck right now?
Probably goodstuff decks like Jund or Abzan. They're always capable in the meta and each card is individually good.

Burn is the most honest deck in Modern, it will always be T1/T2 depending on the meta, and it's not as expensive as all the goodshit.dec lists that are floating around.

I could only see this being useful in an extremely drawn out game, and even then you'd still want to use an two color manland instead.

Does Jund rekt Hollow One?

Thanks my dudes. I'll do Merfolk, I don't like burn, I only looked at Hollow One because I already have a set of Ghasts.

hollow one shits on jund

Damn, this looks good and cheap, the only real expenses here are the caverns and the vials and I know those will retain their price.

I can buy dual lands for the same prices of Liliana, Snapcaster, Goyf, Karn and all that shit and those will never be reprinted and will only go up.

So why should I buy Modern cards for that kind of money as a new player? Is Wizards retarded?

I think I'll actually start doing that with the next paycheck, buy dual lands.

If you want to buy Vials now is defnitely the time.

How do you all feel knowing that a modern deck will cost as much as a legacy deck despite WOTC's ability to reprint the cards freely?
Looking forward to getting Hierarch as a chase mythic in next year's set?

soon phantasmal image will moon, pick them first if you build the deck, the only thing who was keeping them at bay was the recent MM2017 reprint, but now the the card is drying up like hell (also ppl didnt figured it yet but the card is MVP vs bogle i the deck continue to rise) because now multiples decks are playing it x4

"Never" is a long time, but by all means, buy the duals.
Wizards doesn't want new players playing Modern.

>and those will never be reprinted and will only go up
By "those" do you mean the lands or the non-lands?

>no money
>$1.5k in old cards
Just joined a Facebook trade group.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't play decks without Arbor Elf + Utopia Sprawl, Mox Opal or Simian Spirit Guide.

Attached: 1497940263484.jpg (1280x960, 256K)

>buy dual lands.

invest in the cheapest ones, plateau & scrublands are MVP in term of investment vehicles rn

Just built a spicy W/R Hardened Steel shitbrew, or in other words affinity without any of the good cards. Feels great to see the look on opponents' faces when they realize that I'm not actually playing a tier deck
>t1: Mountain, Springleaf Drum, Ornithopter, Memnite, Signal Pest
>t2: Battlefield Forge, Built to Smash, Built to Smash
>t3 until I lose: Durdle emptyhanded and pray to topdeck gas

To be honest, you dont' even really need Cavern's for Merfolk. Just play Unclaimed Territory.

If you were looking at Hollow One and isn't lying why not build it?

RG ponza masterrace

Attached: 1520807632674.jpg (657x527, 38K)

Doesn't Damping Orb shit on Hollow One?

Also, as I said, I want to future-proof myself, I'm of meager means and want my deck to last as long as possible.

Dual lands obviously.
The game is gonna die before they reprint them. Unless Hasbro really sells to someone bold enough.
Yep, that's the plan. With the money of a single Dark Confidant you can buy two Plateau. Think about that.
Lmao Wizards is retarded.

I'm playing my Dinosaur deck!

>T1: Forest -> Elvish Mystic
>T2: Lotus Cobra -> Fetch -> Renegade Rallier -> Get back Fetch -> Wayword Swordtooth -> Play another Fetch - > Ghalta, Primal Hunger + Burst of Speed

17 damage on turn 2!!!

Then they stabilize and skullfuck you.

>Playing
Haven't played since September, but threw Powder Eldrazi together and piloted it to an FNM win a few days ago. Pretty fun.

>Hating
I hate playing against inconsistent decks that can randomly pull wins out against just about anything--the only such deck that comes to mind is Grishoalbrand. I can't remember the last time I actually played against it.

>Brewing
N/A. I still have a lot of meta decks to try out (catching up to do since last year).

>What deck did you start playing modern with? What drew you to that deck, and what's changed in your deck choices/playstyle since then?
I started Modern right after the 2011 PT and since many of the PT decks were nerfed by bannings, I started off playing a Bant concoction, Affinity, and when Dark Ascension was printed, I tried a Jund Vengevine deck. As the meta resolidified, I tried just about everything I saw.

I'm usually just drawn to whatever feels powerful. For a good while, that was Affinity, RG Tron, UR Storm, and Twin. Had a lot of fun with Delver when Treasure Cruise was legal. Before Eye of Ugin was banned, I had a blast with Eldrazi (and I still kinda like Eldrazi).

In general, my playstyle hasn't really changed much since the early 2000s. I like aggro control, sweet combos, and powerful decks. But I also like consistency, so even though Bloom Titan was powerful, I didn't love it. Pod was powerful and consistent, but I just didn't care for it... can't put my finger on why.

>Wizards is retarded
What do you mean? Thanks to these price spikes they will have enough reprint equity to go on for eternity making these shitty masters sets.

Ponza
Green Devotion
Tooth & Nail
Affinity
Lantern
Eggs
Grishoalbrand

Fuck the intended mana curve.

Attached: 1473546958038.jpg (500x375, 26K)

Can't wait for next year's.
>Bob, Hierarch at mythic
>Every other mythic is $2

>Thanks to these price spikes they will have enough reprint equity to go on for eternity making these shitty masters sets.
Oh wow, you mean they will have exponentially less players that play Standard and to sell their sealed product to? Really a smart business strategy they've got there.

Meme tech in eldrazi at best

>Tooth & Nail
My brother, it has been so long.
It just sucks that every time Tron gets good the greatest Big Green deck in Magic gets blown the fuck out as collateral damage. I'm just over here getting my last few turn 3 kills in before Sphere shuts the door for good ;_;

You're not going to be stabilizing with a 2nd attack from Ghalta.

Lets just assume you terminate Ghalta and Fatal Push the Swordtooth.

There's still 6 power on board. Unless he also has 2 creatures on the board, they're dead. and assuming they need to Fetch to Trigger revolt for Swordtooth, they'll be at 2 life.

So unless they have 2 Gurmags by turn 3, It'll be hard as hell to come back. People can't even come back from 8 power 2 Hallow Ones.

i brewed a green devotion i called Devoted Slime, basically it's green devotion but with a playset of acidic slime (and a polukranos, i love this dude)

Attached: 1520807176281.jpg (953x527, 210K)

You can also play Elves which is generally pretty cheap and play Beck//Call as your Glimpse of Nature and combo off too.

Mardu shadow, jund literally loses to reveler

FUGGG

wait a minute... damping matrix doesnt shut down overgroth/utopia sprawl right ? It say :
>Whenever enchanted Forest is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of the chosen color to his or her mana pool (in addition to the mana the land produces).

so as i read it it's not the land producing more mana. am i right ?

>so as i read it it's not the land producing more mana. am i right ?
That would seem to be correct.

>they will have exponentially less players that play Standard
Player count for standard is definitely going to get a boost from challenger decks, and it will stay on the rise so long as they keep making these decks.
Unfortunately, Modern/Legacy players are so thirsty for reprints that they willingly buy these overpriced shit Masters sets, giving Wizards no reason to cater to those who want reprints that actually make the formats cheaper.

kewl we are safe devotion/tooth bro's, having to pay the extra mana for genesis wave>eternal witness > genesis wave loop isn"t a problem, we generate way enough mana to handle the damping sphere

Attached: 1520807111144.png (682x682, 531K)

>4-0
>Final round
>Keep 3 lander
>all 5 draws are lands

Attached: F35C3CF8-1D3C-4CB4-BF0D-2295E4F36FB8.jpg (700x697, 139K)

>so as i read it it's not the land producing more mana. am i right ?
Oh shit you're right.
Is it finally that time for Momma Em and Daddy X to rise up from tier three to relevance?

ho no fuck i forgot we lose nykthos
WE ARE FUGGED GUYZ

Attached: 1520721919440.jpg (793x786, 54K)

Dumb frog poster

Maybe my dude (btw lately i tried samut in replacement of xenagos (well in fact one of each) and this ugly nigress proved herself to be MVP, like if you just have a lil ramp and land her turn 2/3 you have alrdy a real option to win a game)

my list for reference :
// www.magic-ville.com deck file
// NAME : Tooth
// CREATOR : (magic-ville.com)
// FORMAT : Modern
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
2 Wooded Foothills
4 Voyaging Satyr
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Tooth and Nail
2 Stomping Ground
10 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Harmonize
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Dragonlord Atarka
3 Eternal Witness
4 Arbor Elf
1 Acidic Slime
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
3 Primal Command
4 Overgrowth
1 Samut, Voice of Dissent
SB: 3 Blood Moon
SB: 1 Lightning Bolt
SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
SB: 3 Autumn's Veil
SB: 1 Walking Ballista
SB: 1 Choke
SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 2 Scavenging Ooze
SB: 1 Creeping Corrosion

Attached: 205.jpg (312x445, 46K)

DONT BULLY OR I TELL MY MOM

Attached: 1520806327912.jpg (660x716, 72K)

Nykthos isn't even that good in Tooth and Nail anyway. Where you want to be is closer to
>t1: Forest, Arbor Elf
>t2: Forest, Utopia Sprawl on the other forest, tap for two, untap with Elf, tap for two, overgrowth
>t3: Count to nine, gg
I've found that Nykthos usually fucks with my nut draws instead of helping win the game desu

Ugly

>Keep drawing land
>Crack a fetch and tell yourself that filtering out another land and shuffling will help
>Draw another land
EVERY
FUCKING
TIME

Why can’t Wizards make good sets anymore? Shadows over innistrad was meh and that was the last copy set they tried

Yes i ended with the same conclusion, i'll dust off the list and replace them by more forestu.
But really samut is the real deal, give it a try bro (haste to all creatures also being neat with the ramp dudes and not only rakulu)

yeah i was thinking about altering mine with a sexy asian waifu instead bcuz she make me nauseous each time i land her)

Attached: 1520806827788.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

I'm not so sure about Samut as a one-of; when you want to be casting Tooth and Nail, I don't see a reason why you would want to be getting her instead of Papa Xanax. Maybe as a target for Primal Command, but even then I think two would be better.

none of the fucking designers play standard, they only play limited (where you can play shitty jank cards and not care)

Ahamoket and Shadows were made for each other.

Both blocks would have been great if it wasn't for the cancer known as Kaledesh

Kaladesh really will be remembered as the worst block of all time

I pretty much already have the Bant mana base; should I build Bant Company or 5 color humans? I'll have the capital to do either since I'm selling off a bunch of old shit I don't use anymore.

5 color humans puts up better results

also i was thinking about adding a tireless tracker instead maybe

SoI was neat, one of the most undervaluated set rn alongside his bro-set eldritch moon

I just don't want to buy something and then risk it getting hit

5c human without hesitation,theshit is so resiliant and versatile it's almost impossible to lose if you have correct hands on the play (and dont do retarded shit with meddling mage)

Dominaria looks pretty good though.

Think about it.

There's now easy ways to get Delirium, cards that have good madness enablers. You have ramp to actually play Emrakrul fairly, The Deserts are DUAL Lands for the Eldrazi cards, flash mechanics and control mechanics ifyou don't want aggro. Emerge can actually be used. Clue tokens are great with the land theme of Amokhet.

And Ixalan would have slotted in nicely with the other two since it provided the kill spells as well as dinosaurs being the other tribe to fight against zombies, eldrazi, pirates etc.

A toss up between that and BFZ block

I'm not wholly convinced, seems like the whole set is designed around EDH players. Still it's good to see Kicker again

Has there been any artifact block that hasn't buttfucked Standard?

No

I don't think there's any pieces of humans that will get hit by a ban.

kek you obviously weren't around when Homelands showed up, literally not a single card playable in any format.

OGW was actually good though.
OGW, SOI, and EMN were all great sets squished between some of the worst sets for standard in a long time.

they don't ban creatures, it's against their politic. human is probably the safest deck possible against the banhammer

Not true. Merchant Scroll is a pretty good card.

>OGW was actually good though.

Attached: patrician's scorn.png (811x757, 561K)

It wasn't even the artifacts, it was the energy sub-mechanic. They honestly almost got away with it.

I would take a bad set over one that ruins a format for 2 years every time.
>Oops we accidentally made energy and vehicles too strong
>Oops we accidentally made an infinite combo
>Oops energy is still too strong

not him but are you trying to say homelands isnt the worst set of all time ? it would be blatant lie

Well, yeah, but I mean the curse of any artifact block somehow screwing with the game, even if it isn't the direct artifact synergy that does it. I think the least harmful was Scars or something.

Oh, it is, but saying that it doesn't have a single card playable in a format is wrong. There is one single card that is playable (not sure if Serrated Arrows saw any play anywhere).

B/R Hollow One almost made Top 8 at SCG Dallas.

Creatures (30)
4 Hollow One
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Flamewake Phoenix
2 Gurmag Angler
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Street Wraith
4 Vengevine
2 Wild Cantor
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Lands (18)
3 Mountain
3 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills

Spells (12)
4 Burning Inquiry
4 Faithless Looting
4 Goblin Lore

Sideboard
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Blood Moon
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Dismember
3 Fatal Push
1 Hazoret the Fervent
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
3 Collective Brutality

There seems to be a lot of variants and the deck looks like it's still being tuned.
I like this version running Vengevine a lot more than the pure B/R version but I would take out the Wild Cantors for Burning Tree Emissary.
Also one card I don't like is Burning Inquiry. Even though it can brick your opponent's hand I see it brick the Hollow One player's hand too often.

>mfw imagining the possible standard that could have been
FUCK Kaladesh and FUCK Pajeets

Attached: 1473052535847.jpg (998x720, 39K)

Merfolk has been almost unplayable for two years now dumbass.

>Surge
>Creatures at a modern-breaking power level
>Cool art on-flavor with Kozilek's theme (pic related)
>Balanced manlands (not jank like in BFZ, not vastly overpowered like in OG ZEN block)
>A ton of Cube and EDH all-stars
It didn't get a fair shake desu

Attached: ogw-45-gravity-negator.jpg (672x936, 243K)

>I think the least harmful was Scars or something.
>forgetting phyrexian mana

I was talking about Standard specifically, but Phyrexian mana is pretty egregious overall.

OGW's manlands a shit. Surge a shit. Eldrazi a shit.

>so long as they keep making these decks.
So this one time for 4 months?

Except they swapped Kozilek and Emrakul's themes around for the block.
Kozilek had its drones described as being disturbingly close to normal living beings.
Emrakul was the one going FUCK PHYSICS.

Attached: 69[1].jpg (312x445, 57K)

What?

Sword tooth is three mana how you getting three to play it in that line?

Also to get that hand would literally be so fucking lucky and way too much to set up

Lotus cobra trigger with fetch

But still requires way too much set up for that

damn, completely forgot about that card.
pretty cool art and flavor desu. luv me some eldrazi distorting the universe

The funniest thing is that Meld could actually be playable.

Oh yeah... Guess so.

Shadows really ruined the flavor for me. I liked it better when the eldrazi were space/time/Physics breaking. The demi-chuthlu mutants was very meh.