Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Attached: Ex3Map.jpg (5780x3740, 2.72M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ye2u1za7Pac
youtube.com/watch?v=CIj49_mqcMs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Previous thread: >

The capstone of Gorgon and Stormcaller can only be used once per story, which is about every 3-4 sessions. These can admittedly cover a large period of time, allowing you to use Volcano Cutters cap once per session, but it's also tied up to a manse, which can be targeted by outside forces to diminish VCs power.

There's also the subject of each 5-dot weapon having some sort of internal resource; Gorgon has Wakefulness, Stormcaller has Intensity, and VC has it's own internal mote pool. The main difference is that Gorgon and SC give something at every level of their respective resource, with Gorgon enhancing its Evocations and SC generating hefty penalties. VC is different, its internal mote pool is used to pay for Grand Eruption, which all its other Evocations build off of, if you can't land enough attacks, or if the attacks that you land don't have good rolls, you are locked out of its Evocation suite, rendering it useless for the entire battle. It's only good for long, drawn out fights or for multi-attack builds. Compared to literally every other 5-dot artefact weapon, and several lower rated ones, it's by far the worst weapon you could possibly pick.

Seeming that the thread has no topic, and inspired by my rantings; are there any powers that just don't seem worth the cost? We know that the Giant merit is overpriced and the Martial Artist merit might be the same, but what else do you look at and go "Yeah, that's overpriced."

So, last thread someone went on a bit of a ant about how much he dislikes Evocations and the idea that ARtifacts should be unique, because sometimes he just wants a way to murder harder. I definitely like Evocations and the uniqueness of Artifacts, but the base stats of Artifacts certainly make them desirable for people who aren't really interested in putting much thought into them. This isn't necessarily bad, but I have sometimes wondered whether Artifacts have to be just better versions of mundane equipment in addition to their active magical powers. I think I might actually prefer it if Artifacts had the same base stats as their mundane counterparts, aside from being indestructible, and had their power solely in the form of Evocations and unique attunement bonuses. This could be combined with making Artifacts more reasonably sized by default, giving more room for variety in Artifact aesthetics. Fuckhuge weapons could still exist, and could grant additional damage as a part of their attunement bonus, but I'd like it if they weren't the only kinds of Artifact weapons to exist. These are just idle thoughts, not really something I'm going to bother changing for my games, but what do fa/tg/uys think about it?

Martial Artist can't be overpriced when you get Cosmic Jam Style and whatever more comes up as the line goes on. But about your question I feel there's way more underpaying then overpricing. Twisted Words Technique, 1m 1w? Fuck me at least the original Golden Years Tarnished Black cost 2m.

I mean, bigger is just better. If you could affor to have a claymore, fuck yeah I'd have that instead of an arming sword.

A new thread but now I can't remember what I wanted to discuss.

Does anyone actually play crafters?

How often do people actually use Exatled's setting for their Exalted games? I'm trying to get my players into new RPGs other than D&D (I introduced 13th Age to them last night), I'm perusing through the core book and it takes 120 pages until you actually get to the game part. It seems to be so invested in its setting and maybe it's because my eyes are tired from reading all day, but the character creation part just seems so intimidating/confusing.

I don't really mind artifacts being a straight upgrade stat wise over normal weapons and if I don't want to care about evocations I tend to go with 3-dot artifacts where the evocations usually aren't that impressive.

The setting and the mechanics are closely interlinked in Exalted. This isn't like Pathfinder were you can just throw some robots in your dungeon and add a dragon and some drows and the system won't care. Exalted's mechanics were built for the Exalted setting and thematics.

D&D is compatible with many settings but lose internal consistency. Exalted was built for Exalted's setting.

>How often do people actually use Exatled's setting for their Exalted games?
99.9%. Sometimes it's a slightly changed setting, or the setting into the past, or an alternate setting, but it's all the same thing in the end.

> but the character creation part just seems so intimidating/confusing.

First, try to digest the setting. What is an Exalted, what they can do (charms and excellencies), what they are capable. That Solars represent the pinnacle of superhuman heroism and have powers to match.

Then understand that the biggest hurdle is charm selection. All Exalted comes with charms, and each character needs to chose a certain number at chargen. Choosing the right charms is what the crux is, and for that there's nothing to do but read the one coming with the abilities you are interesting in.

Well I have a crafter player, no sorcery. One thing I don't like is how artifacts are tied to sorcery. I guess it makes sense, sure, but I wish there was a way crafters could get a "craft version" of sorcery, something that doesn't affect the character as much as true sorcery does but lets him get Craft: First Age.

Attached: gameartbrain-creation-amp-consulting-carlos-ancot-guardian warstrider.jpg (1181x835, 212K)

Is there any particular wiki that that has more comprehensive coverage of the setting? Each of them I've been to are 90% red links.

>and the idea that ARtifacts should be unique
Huh? That's only weapons, armor, and warstriders. All your generic other artifacts can have tons of identical copies just as usual.

No
Have fun reading trough every Compass, Shard, and everything in between.

Honestly just read it as you need it, if you got a game on the west, read Compass West, will it be about gods, read Roll of Divinity, etc.

Attached: says you're a faggot.jpg (400x299, 19K)

What would a downscaled, Terrestrial Circle of Magma Kraken look like?

Just downscale everything. It's attacks are light artifacts, use just Int OR Occult+Essence, no short range, that kind of stuff. Only one body, destroying it isn't a gambit but a regular attack. Call it Soot Snake.

Attached: absolute state of terrestrial circle.jpg (210x230, 7K)

What cosmetic effects would having Silent Words Of Dreams And Nightmares as my control spell have?

what is your favorite 2.5e inferenal hearthstone under 4 dots?

that's because onyx path made a delibrate effort to kill such resources to pave the way for 3e

they nuked so much homebrew :(

I didn't know that but I can believe considering the kind of person OPP hires and is run by. Fuck me, why did this setting have to be snared by these leeches

I rewrote parts of the Craft charmset. One of the things I did was make a charm to do exactly this: waive the requirements for first age artifice, and let you do the requisite workings without Occult or Sorcery.

docs.google.com/document/d/1n15wfn6f3UToY9T8Le4VEVrAIP1zzCNlNXwgDoKeHl0/edit?usp=sharing

I'm new to Exalted but my guess is that all those wikis consisted of lots of official material. And nuking those I understand. It is published content that you would need a sourcebook to get access to and you are getting it for free.

But if wiki was in line of:

Charm name - book source - page number
list of Gods - book source - page number
list of closely related subjects - book source - page number

or worse - fully fan-made creations

well then onyx path can go suck a dick.

that is even worse
i don't mind using an ocult roll for that, that part would be appropriate enough, it was specifically the sorcery dominance and how it intrudes on craft.

I ran into exactly the same problem with my erstwhile first age artificer and the sorcery ended up distorting their concept fiercely. It kinda pissed me off, but also I'm experienced enough to homebrew a solution, so...

How does Octavian being a mighty conqueror who brazenly flaunts any authority not his own map out to him being a soul of Munaxes?

Hey, the compass books are actually pretty interesting to read... Well all of them aside from the West book.

You can use Godbound to play Exalted in a less intimidating system in the d20 chassis.

If he wants his players to play something different to DnD, moving away from the d20 system might be for the best.

I agree, naturally, if Exalted lore wasn't as interesting as it is I wouldn't bother keeping up with OPP. But it is a hell of a lot to read.

Are there any Occult charms that boost the use of sorcery, wether canon or homebrewed?

Attached: Exalted_Three-Suns-Standing_final_v3.png (918x1188, 2.01M)

Boost the use? There's charms that make you sorcery better, and sorcery-ing better is basically how all spells are boosted.

And there's basically only three things sorcerous workings can't do, so they hardly need boosting.

Three? Not two?

Can't bring the dead back to life, can't travel backwards in time, can't grant condition free immortality.

Or, I should say, no "true" resurection. Once someone is 'dead, dead', there's no getting them back. But exalted is very much a setting where someone can only be slightly dead.

Also things that interact with Malfeas have a tendency to work backwards in time.

Immortality is fucking ez. Eat a peach every kiloyear

Condition free was the key phrase.

Also by "Immortality" he means absolute immortality. Agelessness is easy unless you're a Sidereal.

Nope, they clariffied in an ask the dev thread. By immortality they mean biological immortality, not invunerability.

But yeah, you just have to have a tub of milk you lie in every year or a cult that does a daft ritual or something. And it's still a Solar level working, so not 'easy, easy'. Though there's enough peaches and cordials and elixiers knocking around that, like you say, it should be well within the reach of most all exalted PCs.

I'd still let somebody to do a solar circle working to be "unkillable" a la koschei the deathless. You can incapacitate him or imprison him or deal with him on his terms, but not like, ok this guy doesn't take damage, lol!

Are there gods of negative concepts?
Like things that you shouldn't do?

I'm looking to make a pantheon of crafting/blacksmithing gods and I want one of them to be... well horrible at the craft. But it's not a personality flaw, it's his actual purview.

I could see a god of bad poets before a god of poor craftsman. It's not the case that a god of bad craftsmen would necessarily be bad at crafting though, he just might have charms that fuck up crafting.

Responding to my reply because I forgot a detail, but this guy would DEFINITELY be somebody you pray to to keep away, and probably fairly local or small, all told.

Hm, maybe I will rethink his role in the whole hierarchy then.
I was thinking of them being more of an exemplary deity; the forge-priests telling tales about him as what not to do. What you've described sounds more adversarial than what I had in mind.

But I like it.

I mean, this could just be an ancestor tale of something. Celestial tier God of Fuckups isn't out of the question though. "Pay attention or Biggoron will burn your steel".

A god defined by being a negative is a cool idea too, not something I considered from your description. There's a lot you could do with that too.

Another god question; is there one god of jade, or five?
I imagine the gods of the other magical materials don't have as much diversity when it comes to their material so there only needs to be one. Even for the random magical materials, 1 god.

But each type of jade has distinct properties.

There's no god or gods of the magical materials, not canonically at least.

At most you could say they're embodiment of the gods that the exalts come from. Ori is gold that was blasted with Sol's essence, Moonsilver silver the same but the moonlight is directed by water. Regular jade that crosses a dragon line of the corresponding dragon.That kinda stuff. But you seem like you're thinking bout least gods.

Orchrid is still top tier waifu

>ugly old hag
>sourpuss extraordinaire
>probably a massive ball-buster too
>waifu
Get some standards, you filthy subhuman.

Compass: Yu-Shan does actually mention gods of magical materials in passing. Apparently they belong to the Department of Abstract Matters, serve under the god(dess?) of Sacred Materials, and include five Jade Goddesses. I don't recall seeing anything more specific about these gods anywhere, though.

Honestly there are a couple of spirits mentioned in passing in Yu Shan that I wish got expanded on more. In previous they had to cram all the yu shan stuff in sidereals in 1e, so in 2e when they got they're own book they just copy pasted all that old stuff in and then added some new
Namely, they division of peace and the division of war have opposite problems. The directional war gods are all detailed in the compass books but the head is only name dropped. And the head of the division of peace is given big attention because he's one of the leaders of whitewall but the directional peace gods are name dropped and then never brought up again

Didn't 2e have a god for everything, even individual grains of rice?

Yeah, I agree. Gods of war and peace are kind of interesting because IIRC they get along just fine, with most of them understanding that both war and peace have their place in the Creation.

That's right, except for weird shit, like grains of rice from malfeas, and reincarnation.

How big are Reaper Daiklaves supposed to be?

I dislike the conceit that Daiklaves or other artifact weapons are supposed to be giant-sized (with the obvious exception of their Grand counterparts) so I'd say the same size of a duelist's saber.

You know how it is

Attached: villain-610.jpg (610x439, 37K)

I usually run it as anywhere between normal Katana, and Virtuous Treaty. Just wanted to make sure there was no official ruling somewhere that made them VT sized.

I'd put that as a Grand Daiklave, honestly.

>Virtuous Treaty
I just realized a source of inspiration for artifact weapons.

And now I'm thinking of making a bunch Achemicals charcaters based off of Nier Androids.

And now I'm also thinking of making characters based off of Drakengard characters as well.

What tier of sorcrous working would it be to enchant a gladiator arena so that anyone who wins a fight to the death inherits the strength and skills of the loser?

That largely depends on whether you want the enchantment to break the five dot cap, and if so, how far.

Yes, it'd be able to go above the 5-dot cap, but the higher it goes the more unpredictable the resultant warrior gets. Absorbing too many gestalt souls is not good for the noggin if you're unprepared, after all.

This is a really, really bad idea, just fyi. There's no fair price for something like this, and workings are costed according to have a "fair price". Basically, there is no tier of working that will accomplish what you want. Sorry.

It's fine. Apparently we're gonna move on to another location soon so that arena isn't going to see much use after all.

a better idea might be to have winning in the arena award one of the corebook merits temporarily until somebody else wins a fight in it

Attached: exalted sword gays.png (1280x871, 889K)

Better than the retarded idea that each needs their own novel to go along with it.

Thing is, Sepiroth's masamune is really not that big compared to an õdachi, in that picture is just a few centimeters taller then him. The one in game/in the movie is easily 6 fucking meters long though. That one I'd call a grand daiklave.
You're STILL peddling this shit

Attached: odachi-22.png (557x365, 195K)

that's because swlihn was both japanese and fond of object level programming

so more like a gremlin than like the god of bad poetry

Well, a talwar is of Indian descent while a nodachi is Japanese. While both are primarily slashing weapons, the talwar was favored by cavalrymen, as opposed to the nodachi which was mainly used for dick measuring.

>object level programming

Who are you, the god of bad puns?

Then just use a normal weapon!

I don't see the relation between a one handed cavalry saber and a two handed footman anti cavalry sword my dude

>You're STILL peddling this shit
I think we can prepare ourselves for people peddling this shit as long as Ex3 goes on.

It still doesn't?

So what do you guys think of the DB from the MM?

Attached: Uran_DB_Kingfisher.png (811x1026, 743K)

W E
>soled shoes in pre rubber time

From the what?

Monday Meeting, OPPs way of signaling "WE'RE WORKING SEE"

youtube.com/watch?v=Ye2u1za7Pac
youtube.com/watch?v=CIj49_mqcMs

Quick googling seems to indicate that shoe soles don't have to be made from rubber and are not a modern invention.

Please, it looks like she's wearing fucking steel toe boots stolen from the construction site.

It's not all that good, but it has an Exalted feel. It's mediocre Uran, but sill Uran.

What's up with the little lady on her belt?

Apparently it's an icon of Daana'd, according to Vance.

>Purple hair generic overuglified brown woman.

Umm.... Sweetie, isn't that a little problematic?

Attached: 636487104169899504-vert-holdo.jpg (534x712, 39K)

Oh, so it's like some sort of good luck charm or religious item?
That's actually pretty neat.

>>overuglified
What did he mean by this?

Something I've noticed is that a lot of people don't put much thought into the religions their characters follow in any game.

You can be kinda ugly and retain charisma
She's just fucking ugly. Hard to look at.

Attached: Dead-Rising-01.jpg (1920x1176, 209K)

I'm not seeing it, user.

All joking aside, I'm laughing at the thought of those upstart morons commissioning Meluran for this piece. The scene has something of a deep unquestionable irony.

>Um... Sweetie, we want you to come back for 3e.
>But, sweetie, listen, you can't draw beautiful women any more, it's sexist and beautiful women aren't Exalted. No no no, they never were.
>Sweetie... Listen, we know best about what Exalted should look like. So, make her brown, and also ugly. Your DB face? It's sexy, stop it. She should look androgynous if possible. Also give her purple hair. Yes, that's it, exactly, we know best. You don't want to be sexist, do you?

How far the mighty have fallen.

You're laughing at the though of Exalted devs commisioning a popular, well-known Exalted artist? Are you okay, user?

Her face is wide?
IDK I'm grasping at straws here. I think she looks normal.

You don't understand the irony? Fine, I'll spell it for you user.

The new Exalted devs are commissioning one of the oldest Exalted artist, a woman who pretty much single-handedly created the visual style of Exalted and who did it by drawing sexy women, to draw an ugly brown purple haired tumblr reject. Because ugly brown purple haired tumblr is supposed to be Exalted those days.

That is irony. Subtle irony, but damn if it isn't funny.