You are given $30,000,000 to start your own Larp

Describe it to me anons. What would you do? Build a series of small, brick and mortar towns for a steampunk larp connected by an actual, albeit small, steam train? Build a dwarven hold? Raise a literal castle or four?

Attached: 4fd5a14aa3b91b752c0754db9b3b9a80_original.jpg (1552x873, 376K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2017/05/18/italy-is-giving-away-over-100-castles-for-free--theres-only-one-catch.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I purchase a modest home, put the rest of the money in a roth IRA, and live off the interest for the rest of my life, shitposting here and playing games.

I give the money to someone else who gives a shit.
LARPing is too goofy to interest me.

To clarify, you are given $30,000,000 TO START YOUR OWN LARP. You aren't allowed to use it for anything else.

I would be larping as a happy person in this scenario.

>To clarify, you are given $30,000,000 TO START YOUR OWN LARP.

Right, so I'm investing it into a fund to continue the larp for generations.

30 m seems impressive for a person, but if you want to organize something that's not NEARLY enough for building a fucking dwarf hold or corstructing few villages interconnected by functional railway from scratch

This.

On the other hand, with some careful investing, in a couple of generations your family might have enough for a small village

Just insert your own budget number then but for crying out loud lemme hear what you'd build.

>You aren't allowed to use it for anything else.
Too late, should have put it in the initial contract.

Thanks for the 30,000,000 dollarydoos though. Now I can live in peace and make all the regular TTRPGs I want.

I did. "to start your own Larp"

Buy the castle they started south of Branson, Mo. Continue the construction on the foundations they began. Start up a village around it. Keep it open year round as a living history site. Set up programs with youtube channels, schools, universities, and churches to get publicity, grants, and donations. Then run four or five events a year around Easter, Midsummer, October, Christmas. All would be themed around the court of a 13th century lord. Kick out any reenactors/larpers who can't pass the standards.

Attached: ozark_medieval_fortress.jpg (700x525, 74K)

You didn't say we couldn't spend it on anything else though. Do you really want to go to court over this, user? You'd lose.

Because I have 30,000,000 dollars.

I build a Colosseum style fighting pit, and install a speaker system that blasts the soundtrack from Gladiator during fights.

>soundtrack from Gladiator
It was all good until you got there. The only correct answer is the soundtrack from Conan.

>Not the Attack on Titan opening theme

How about no.

Attached: sad.gif (400x225, 4.54M)

Oh right, Conan too.

But don't diss the Gladiator soundtrack either.

I would first spend some of it to attend the best larps in the world. I've never larped before, so I'd need to understand how it's done.

Well, if it doesn't have to be fantasy, then I'd go for a WoD LARP. Start with buying some buildings, preferably at least one that could be reasonably made into apartments. See about getting a sponsorship with a few local restaraunts so the Vampire Prince of Chicago doesn't hold his court in a Denny's, but instead the back room of a decent place or even just rent a former industrial space and re-vamp it. Any leftovers go into an investment fund to, along with a reasonale admission fee, help keep up with maintenance.

If it is fantasy, I dunno rent out the place they do the Renfair.

>buy troppo island you have to get to by seaplane
>hire midget that dresses like me
>small town on island where the LARP crews live
You've seen this TV series before

Merge the concept of LARP with an indoor playground/small theme park for profit.

>posting this much of an affront to based Basil Poledouris
Weeaboo pls go

I use Conan music for everything.

Open a company dedicated to the larp events, organize something and siphon off the rest via consulting companies etc etc.

Because nobody needs 30 millions to play dressup and I like money.

THIS

Metro 2033 style post apocalypse larp in a disused middle silo base and the surrounding area.

They aren't that expensive.

Attached: ffd67e845f4fc54e69fa1a.jpg (647x1065, 62K)

Two options:
1. Buy a forest and then build with help of others stuff on it, also buying a shitton of props. The constructions would be made in a way that the place could be used for lot of different kind of larps.

2. Buy a place that is like a small parking lot or something along those lines and a shitton of shipping containers. Then connect them and buy stuff for the interiosrs to make it scifi ship like. Then run either monitor celestia or voidship concordia games in it and probably other scifi larps too.

i'd probably try to set up a star wars larp, assuming i'd be able to evade the disney lawsuit. buy some forested land with enough space for a few bases and other cool set pieces, a bunch of larp safe light sabers, rent out various film props, etc etc

around 5,000,000 buying 5,000-10,000 acres of land in montana
another 5,000,000 buying horses
500,000 buying ~5,000 sheep
up to 5,000,000 on yurts

I buy an old factory or series of factories, connect them together and then paint the inside with neon paints and light it with blacklights. The players would have neon armor and we'd play in a world where the sun has died and people in a fantasy world now are luminescent. Armors and weapons would have neon paint.

I'd buy a miniature golf course. Half the dudes get to play as monsters while the other half go at them with rc tanks, helicopters etc.

Use it to LARP as a man who won 30 million on the lottery

Mario Kart LARP!

I would buy a mercenary army and invade zimbabwe

Buy a big stretch of desert and a bunch of cheap cars, garage, tools, and scrap for Mad Max awesomeness

I'd buy a few square miles of otherwise useless hilly land near LA and build something very similar to the movie ranches that already exist there (check out Blue Cloud Ranch for an idea of what I'm talking about), only medieval in theme. I'm thinking two castles - one a traditional high Medieval one, the other more of a bad guy/demon type thing - and several small towns and villages. I'd host LARP and reenactment events there, but I'd also market it as a filming location. My dad is a semi-retired movie/TV art director so I'd absolutely get him involved.

As for the LARPs themselves, I'd let groups rent the place out and do whatever they wanted, but events I'd organize myself would be my own halfway blend of LARP and reenactment, something where fantasy and roleplay elements are central but tabletop RPG bullshit goes out the window in favor of more realistic HEMA-lite combat.

two words: modular dungeons

1. Buy up a tract of land somewhere it's relatively cheap and wooded like Sweden
2. Build a castle, French style, with conical-topped towers and shit like that
3. Build a village at the foot of the castle, or town depending on how far my money will go; possibly use volunteer work for this but on the explicit understanding that their work does not entitle them to game there
4. Rent it to LARPers at extremely good rates BUT absolutely refuse entrance or hiring to anyone who doesn't adhere to rigidly medieval gender roles. No other authenticity rules, just that one
5. Enjoy the salt and community-wide division

I use that money to painstakingly recreate the battles of the War of 1812, then I film it and call it a semi-mentuary in the vein of Waterloo or Gettysberg. Complete with torching the actual white house at the end because it's just not complete otherwise.

I've always wanted there to be a LARP which followed along the lines of Alice: Madness Returns. Something of a dark fairy-tale type world. I imagine people could have infinite fun with the costuming.

Attached: Tea.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

This one is actually really easy. I'm surprised no one in thread has the business sense for it.

>Steps:
1. It has to be built in America.
2. It has to be near a large population center, a small "stadium" of sorts is alright, as long as it has trees and the potential to canopy.
3. Hire employee's certified in child care and as fitness instructors.
4. Set membership rates similar to a gym, with a child's league and an adult league.
5. Advertise that it is about making people fit and active like a community center with strict hours.
6. Make sure people know that the focus is on combat and not roleplaying and that they can come spectate/watch.
7. Profit by extracting small amounts of monthly money even from the poor losers who normally go to LARPs, as well as very competitive people, nerdy people, fat people who want to change, and parents.
8. Somewhere along the way, maybe actually improve some peoples lives.

The only problem I can think of is one that will solve itself. That's that even the fattest, most unhealthy man has more endurance than the average fighting fit woman. People will naturally segregate who they fight, and my coaches will help.

Attached: 1332801221027.gif (270x287, 1.1M)

1932's gangster LARP. I'd need to build a replica of what a typical american inner city area of the period would look like, as well as props and costumes.

>Re-vamp
You cheeky cunt

>Around 5.000.000 on yoghurt

You do like your yoghurt alright

>move to europe
>find castle in the middle of nowhere
>petition to use it for larp, since I have cash and a plan to use it they give it for damn near free
>build period-accurate town around it
>monday-thursday host school trips where we teach about the period, moderate charge
>friday-saturday host paintball and reenactors
>sunday run a LARP
>on request school trips can start with historical lessons and end with paintball, for an increased fee

>find castle in the middle of nowhere, Europe
>they give it for damn near free
KEK, you apparently have no idea how shit works here.

>two days a week host people who ruin your shit by firing balls of paint everywhere
Yeah, you're a real Einstein.

... I know that if you have money and a plan to maintain the castle, several countries in Europe will litterally give out castles for free because they can't afford to maintain them themselves. This is a real thing that happens. It even usually comes with the nearby land. I'm not talking about one of the major ones in a city, I'm talking about some shitty half-collapsed castle that can fairly easily be rebuilt that noone cares about.

And paintball is water-based paint, you just walk through with a hose and give it a blast.

>several countries in Europe will litterally give out castles for free
Name them. Let's see a link or two to these castle-gifting programs.

cnbc.com/2017/05/18/italy-is-giving-away-over-100-castles-for-free--theres-only-one-catch.html
this one is asking for it to be a tourist destination, but I'm willing to bet I could alter the plan juuust enough to make it fit. Hell, the four days a week for school kids is already almost there.

Kind of true.
You actually need to have a plan to keep it up, they will restrict what you can do and what you can't and a few other stuff (if you have a degree on something related that helps)

OR
you need friends from the local leading politicians

I import a medieval English castle and set it up on the Canada/America border. I petition to make it a proper border and call it kings crossing, then hire Quebecers to dress in knights armour and insult americans walking by.

>all these Americans who want to set up a fake medieval style European LARP
I finally understand Conrad.

I'd start an historical reenactment community like Williamsburg Virginia, but for medieval times. Would have to involve purchasing a castle and the surrounding land in Europe (enough to field a village and a modest to large medieval church). I would have it function like a medieval manor that has a self-functioning economy but is plenty willing to trade with travelling merchants (outside vendors) and pilgrims and travellers (tourists). As the owner, I would of course be the local lord and my management would include the men-at-arms. One can earn the rank of knighthood but can also be part of my retinue if they invest enough into the manor, making them worthy of an office in the land.

I would also employ a traditionalist Catholic priest to serve in the local church with actual masses said in the medieval liturgy (rather than mere reenactments), thus providing spiritual services for the residents and visitors alike. If possible, I'd purchase the land next to a traditional monastery and have that part solved already. They would benefit from the tourism and publicity as much as I would.

This would mainly work in Italy but other places it could be tried are Spain, Croatia, Poland, and Switzerland. It would be a prime destination for Christmas time as well as stops for cruises if it can be done on a coastal community or on an island.

.......Oh, you meant LARP as in strictly for games....... There will be tourneys.

$30 million isn't enough money to improve American LARPs. If you wanted to improve American LARPs, you have to have enough money to guarantee the murder of all American LARPers, then import European LARPers who can actually develop a non-toxic and shit-tier LARP culture.

The only way to improve LARPs in the US is to burn it all down and start over. It's beyond saving and beyond hope.

Attached: Why I no longer LARP.png (2348x954, 3.33M)

wait is that real?

>. If you wanted to improve American LARPs, you have to have enough money to guarantee the murder of all American LARPers, then import European LARPers who can actually develop a non-toxic and shit-tier LARP culture.
I mean, you aren't wrong but then again, aren't thinking economically.
You can import the European larpers who will guarantee to murder all of the american larpers, this way cutting the costs.

That's real. NEA used to be a larpthread regular, and he was asked not to come back to his local larp because he made the other players feel bad about their garb.

I rarely say this but... you must be new here.

Yeah it's true and it's only the tip of the iceberg

i dont get that picture?

>wait is that real?

Yes. CASTLE Larp organizers asked me to either change costumes or not return, because new players "felt bad" about my costuming in comparison to theirs. The persons on the left image are veterans; the guy in the hospital scrubs started playing in 1997 and this is the best costume he's ever worn. The guy in the red & yellow started in 1999. That pic was taken ~2014. Both of them continually claim that they don't have enough money to get a good costume.

This is typical behavior of the majority of players at US larps. Not *every* larper, but easily 70%.

>You can import the European larpers who will guarantee to murder all of the american larpers, this way cutting the costs.

I like your thinking, but you may be forgetting all the guns.

>also, I got your message; I just can't think straight right now - I have to get a root canal this Wednesday and my face fucking hurts even though the meds.

Also not in the contract: The nationality of the currency. You have 30,000,000 Zimbabwe dollars.

>I like your thinking, but you may be forgetting all the guns.
Anybody can get a gun there, so...

>I have to get a root canal this Wednesday and my face fucking hurts even though the meds.
If that makes you feel any better I'm also sick but obviously not to your extent.

i'd spend that shit on snacks like cookies, hot-pockets, and gatorade
and then when any dues-paying member asks how our funds are spent i tell them to stfu and know their place little ass bitch

Attached: AMERICANLARP.jpg (1000x750, 181K)

You're doing it right

>steampunk
The worst thing you could ever spend money on.
Cyber or diesel are the only worthwhile "punks".

Spend $1,000,000 gathering unmarried young men who share my genetic lineage.

Next phase?

>fly to ireland
>kidnap people with honorific titles
>force them to sign these titles over to myself and my followers, to be carried on by their heirs in perpetuity
>return to the United States, make a bitchin' hall and live it up as a conquering jarl, pay anyone who plays along to be my bannermen
>probably buy wives overseas as well

I'm larping as at least 4 different ancestors of mine at once here

These pics make me think that had it right but that hambeasts should also be banned for being unrealistic.

What the fuck is wrong with you burgatroyds?

HEMA clubs are already a thing tho

I was going to say buy a ritzy train and host elaborate murder mystery larps with fancy foods and wines but trains are way more expensive that I was expecting.

Everything to do with trains is a fucking nightmare, good luck even getting on the rails with a "privately owned luxury train".

I guess you could make it more like a theme park ride and either simulate the train moment for a stationary train or have a small, tightly controlled track.

That or maybe just rent out a train for a weekend every now and then.

What about one with a dedicated car for carrying an ocelot?

Attached: AMERICANLARP2.jpg (1296x972, 195K)

>she had to buy extra-fat ears
help
i cant breathe

>What would you do?
Give some uni club a hundred bucks and keep the rest.

>be this person
>buy a cloak
>buy a bow
>buy some renfair booth top
>buy or make a foam sword
>buy an accessory belt
>buy another one for the sword
>buy a tiny, clearly cosmetic shield
>buy elf ears
>buy or make a quiver of some special effect arrows
>wear trackpants

The fat says America but the fashion says Slav

>in Burgia, the SCA is MORE authentic than the larpers
Man this is weird, it's like the Looking-Glass version of nerdshit. Is this somehow related to why all your HEMA guys are garbage and suck, as well?

>tfw camping larps are shitty in America
you would think with amazing national parks there would be some good ones

>the """sword""" is hanging from a clip attached to the top of the hilt
>matched lip and eyebrow color
>wearing a top where the underbust stitching is coming across the middle of her tits
>footwear looks like it might be ski boots
Jesus. The more I look at the picture the more of a clusterfuck of terrible decisions it turns out to be. Do people like this just have no shame or self-awareness?

I'd buy a chateau in the Loire valley and use the revenue from its vineyards to support a perpetual pre-revolution French aristocracy LARP.

This may be a plot to lure in /cgl/ thots and brainwash them into a cult.

America, ruining every good idea since the 18th century.

Attached: AMERICANLARP3.jpg (480x853, 51K)

might as well turn up the cringe level

Attached: 1354178245996.png (1600x1200, 4.69M)

Would build a dungeon

GM
that guy

Attached: 1383346098115.jpg (900x600, 170K)

Well then what hope does OP have of getting a larp started with what is effectively pocket change to a murican?

I've been to Norwegian LARPs and American LARPs and there is a difference but I think it's because of the acceptance of LARPs in the areas. I tried to get a LARP going here in America a few times and it's actually pretty hard and expensive, even for something like a camping LARP. Most people there don't see it as "Serious" and are looking for a weekend of fun vs. a hobby they plan on doing 3-5 times a year. So the players don't normally get a ton of gear that looks like right. That doesn't make it not as fun. If it was more accepted in America Society and cheaper to do, then you would see events happening more often, which would mean players would be willing to put forth the effort to get gear like right.

God, fat women really are the most comical and offputting thing in the world. I always wonder why they don't just lose the fucking weight instead of blaming the entire rest of the planet for being living laughing stocks.

So they can play dwarves.

self-destructive lifestyles result from self-image problems so crippling that these people can't even mentally engage with it.

sort of like your inability to seriously engage with the possibility that you're an asshole. for example you'll laugh this comment off.

The party scene from the Hobbit is everything I'd want a larp to be. Kickass costumes, awesome food, smoking, music, then some awesome combat afterwards with mates.

I larp as someone who purchases a modest home, puts the rest of the money in a roth IRA, and lives off the interest for the rest of his life, shitposts here and plays games.

Hire mercenaries and go on tour around war zones looking for love on the battle ground.

What this poster said about fat girls, but unironically.

You. Keep talking oh great Khan.

>buy a ghost town in some rural area
>run a post apoc larp
>set strict costume requirements

>sort of like your inability to seriously engage with the possibility that you're an asshole.
Nah, I've actually considered that very seriously but concluded that I'm not, as it's perfectly natural to laugh at things and people that are comical, and it's only in the last few decades -- since the 1980s, say -- that it's become fashionable to deny this out of some pious impulse just because it makes the comical person feel bad. But laughing at fat women is actually the birthright of every human being. Trying to deprive others of it makes YOU the asshole, not the other way around.

Of course, now you'll probably deny that I engaged with it seriously since I didn't reach the conclusion you wanted, i.e. that you're justified in your kneejerk butthurt.