>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
What entertaining terrain features contribute to your setting?

Attached: 1493485179439.jpg (1400x907, 978K)

Based.

Attached: 1520622113743.jpg (1920x3179, 604K)

Got roped into running a game for a bunch of beginners. Is LMoP still my best bet for an easy-to-run, easy-to-swallow adventure?

Getting ready to run SKT from LMoP. Planning on doing the Triboar encounter.

What's a good substitute for orcs? My players have killed like 30 orcs over the course of the game. I'm tired of them and I'm sure my players are, too. What's a decent enemy type that I can swap them out for that would make some degree of sense?

>What entertaining terrain features contribute to your setting?

Fuck logic and "realistic" geography. I build all my worlds like Zelda game worlds. There will be a desert region, and a forest region, and a ice region, and a land of the dead and all that shit on the same continent or even in the same country or Kingdom. Zero fucks given. Realism fags BTFO.

Attached: 700304047229.jpg (1000x750, 1.18M)

Hobgob slaving party

Coming right off of DM'ing LMoP, yes. It has a lot of room to play around with, too.

This guy gets it.

Only reason my current game's world makes any sense geographically is because it's just the Sword Coast and I'm running HotDQ so someone else made it.

Yeah, I'd like to steer clear of goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears, too. My party killed more goblinoids than they did orcs.

Whats your unique monster that you designed and used?
To what success?

I make them fairly consistently, but the one that had the most acclaim from the group was pic related, which i've posted before.
Some personal favorites otherwise include a rock/paper/scissors trio with immunity/vulnerability as per the game and a graveyard plant that gets skeletons into its roots that it uses as part of its attacks.

Attached: Shy Crawler.png (464x1083, 116K)

>go to vendor to sell old quarterstaff from level 1 starting item
>"No thanks but I'll take it for free."
>"Ok but please make sure it goes to a new adventurer like I was when I got it!"
>Immediately throws it into the fireplace

I made a big robot that got faster as it took damage, pieces of armour plating falling away making it easier to harm but lighter and swifter.

It died way too easy because I underestimated the party, who up until this point had had trouble with just about every instance of combat.

What is the best weapon and why is it a +3 flail?

I don't make custom monsters, usually, but I do like my custom bosses, and the players love them too.

Attached: Ramul.jpg (1147x778, 263K)

Best weapon is a wizard.
>Can fix things
>Combat usage
>Can read things
>Can talk to people (sometimes)
>Can summon things
>Can reach things even the Goliath can't

I really like the idea behind it, but
>God-King
>CR 5
This bugs me.

He's not actually CR5.

Agreed.
Maybe Immortal King?

Upon looking, there are a couple things that don't add up on that statblock.

Dear 5eg, I'm planning on running a game where I don't allow players to take feats as they level up, but instead they must be learned by NPC's with the appropriate skills and ability to teach. Some of the easier skill-related feats will only take a couple of days of lessons that can easily be paid for an attended like a cooking-class. Meanwhile the harder combat-related feats will only be available from masters who must be impressed first, and who's lessons may involve difficult tests of strength and worthiness that might even be mini plot-arcs.

How bad of an idea is this? How shit of a DM am I?

Attached: de3.jpg (1149x659, 497K)

Why do you hate martials?

I'm pretty sure things like magical secrets would also be pretty tough to pick up.

I actually really like your idea, but be aware that your characters will end up a bit more powerful that standard so you'll have to plan accordingly.

Because every single one of them going GWM + PAM is boring as fuck. Almost as bad as all the casters going Warcaster + Resilient Con. I want those feats to feel like they MEAN something, like they were actually earned and not just tacked on as part of a character-building guide's instructions.

Well, freedom to you, I guess. Can't really stop you.

Is this Diablo now?

Taking Feats away from Martials may hurt them worse thatn Casters, but they still have their niche of being far more durable and doing more direct damage than Casters.

It's not like giving martials feats actually alleviates the REAL problem, which is that they still can't do jack-shit outside of combat, and all the feats they take still only play into fucking combat. Putting Combat Feats in the same "resource pool" as non-combat feats was an utterly retarded design decision.

Attached: Mearlsstare.png (696x632, 294K)

It doesn't matter now, since the party has long since whacked this guy and stolen his magic chair.

Balancing Feats against ASI's was also a bad design decision, because it creates a situation where martials have to take the feats to function while casters can pad out their stats. Personally I'd rather just go to an NPC and pay to learn the skill than waste my level-up resources on it. Depending on the aviliability of trainers, this actually almost feels MORE fair.

It also solves another minor problem; since it's difficult to buy magic items, characters tend to accumulate far more gold than they can reasonably spend as they level up. This is something you can sink it into.

Adding on to that, casters can get tomes to increase stats.
Martials can only get magic items/class features.
Which casters can also do.

The only Caster who can learn new spells from Tomes and Scrolls is Wizards, and that Wizards are insanely game-breaking in terms of sheer options and versatility is already widely known.

Anyone come up with a good fix for the whole wizard-can-do-everything problem yet?

>tfw killed a red dragon today
>Stressed about this fight for a month, preparing us for the encounter
>Turns out, the fight was already disgustingly overtuned in our favor
>And we massively overprepped
>Which resulted in a dragon being defeated in a quick and disappointing manner, with only the paladin getting somewhat close to zeroes

But hey, at least we got this plotline over with, and looted his hoard. I still have a massive hard-on for the Helmet of Teleportation we found there, and a Bag of Holding too. I would sell my soul for those things, but it looks like I don't have to anymore.

Attached: dragon_red_dragon.png (400x400, 140K)

When you choose a school specialization, you can only take spells from that school of magic, except at certain levels - similar to the eldritch knight and arcane trickster. Granted, this only solves the problem with the PHB subclasses.

How bad of an idea is it that I'm considering porting the magic system from the Mistborn Adventure Game to 5e? Feeling strangely inspired about it.

That almost makes them unplayable, unfortunately, as their combat stuff is spread out amongst too many schools.

It also makes Conjuration and Transmutation wayyyy better options than everything else, as those schools are way better than their competition.

Gnolls brah.

Divination has basically no spells though.

Hmmmm. Maybe a lesser version; when you get your 2 free spells for leveling up, one of them must be from your chosen school.

Basically, force them to actually sort-of specialize.

Make it 1 and 1 and it might work out, too many schools are either loaded or empty.

autistic and limiting as schools of magic are not balanced around being used exclusively

There are only 18 div spells

Shit/10

Attached: disgust.jpg (564x400, 32K)

>my setting also has a temperate grassland biome, a coastal biome, a desert/wasteland biome, a different green biome to the grassland biome, and a mountainous biome that's an excuse for me to have an ice biome

Maybe I've just played too much Majora's Mask but I feel like there's something archetypical about that game's map.

Attached: jazz music stops.jpg (540x720, 47K)

Some of the schools don't even have spells at every level, so that doesn't work either. Not to mention some of them are just pure shit (again, Divination).

Your "fix" has been suggested by a hundred other new players who skim-read the PHB and skipped the spell list. War Magic isn't a school. Bladesinging isn't a school. Some schools have far more spells than others.

The only fix for Wizards is to ban or remove them. Every other caster in the game fills a unique niche and has limited enough spells that they have to specialize by default. Every other caster in the game is better designed and healthier for the game than Wizards are.

Yes, I'm aware I'm meme'ing by saying that.

I was talking about Tome of Clear Thought, Tome of Leadership and Influence, and Tome of Understanding

>Every other caster in the game is better designed and healthier for the game than Wizards are.
>(Moon) Druid
>Artificer
>Mystic

Attached: let me out.jpg (381x225, 21K)

Is mounted barbarian viable? Assuming I don't want to go all in on being mounted and don't want to use a lance is it still possible to not suck at it?

Seeing people on reddit defend (((Mearls))) pisses me off, talking about how they don't owe us anything.
You know what happens when they don't let us test?
Healing spirit.
You know what might've been released if we hadn't said no?
Loremaster.

It's almost believable if you say your campaign is set near the coast of an equatorial region.
>a few hundred miles inland, everything is a desert where nothing can grow
>jungles and swamps can still exist in the cooler, wetter atmosphere near the sea and rivers
>between the desert and the jungle is a grassy savannah
>the mountains are tall enough to be capped with snow

Attached: 1600x900_19763_Coastal_towns_2d_fantasy_town_landscape_picture_image_digital_art.jpg (1600x900, 344K)

Yeah, just look at China.

You know there are manuals that increase Str, Dex, and Con too, right?

The real fix for wizards, and casters in general, is to rule that your setting has a sort of magical entropy. That everything created by magic will eventually decay or corrupt itself. That magic is somehow less "real" than the rest of the world and it's effects are only ever temporary. Things done without magic are intrinsically more "real" and don't fight the cosmic laws of reality's stability in a way that diminishes them over time.

Granted this requires alot of DM fiat with penalties for over-using magic or what happens when someone tries to set up a teleportation network or whatever, but making a general atmosphere feature of your settings can do wonders.

Idea:
>Merchant man spends his youth struggling to earn a fortune, only to realize the wealth it brings him is hollow
>Goes to a diviner for the purposes of finding how to find happiness
>Diviner tells him he doesn't want to know, offers to refund him
>Merchant demands the answer anyways
>Diviner shows him a 4-year-old-girl and says sorrowfully that she is his soulmate
>Merchant falls into a spiral of bitter despair
>Uses his last few days to draw up an ironclad will that grants everything to the girl
>Kills himself
Should this be fulfilled via metaphor, reincarnation, or ghostly shenanigans?

Studded leather, shield and +2 dex would be 16 AC not 12 AC

Majora's Mask seems popular in this topic today. Just take more inspiration from that. The girl isn't actually a little girl, she was cursed and regressed to that form by someone else. Perhaps someone who thought that HE himself was her soulmate and angry when she spurned him, cursing her to a state where no man would ever love her as a partner and equal.

>Diviner shows him a 4-year-old-girl and says sorrowfully that she is his soulmate

Where is the issue? And I don't mean it in a lolicon way I mean the merchant could just wait 10 or 12 years

>Let me just spend another decade or two in the empty, meaningless existence I've forged for myself in the hope that maybe I can meet this girl when I'm 50-60 and pray to the gods it's not considered creepy at all and her parents allow it
Alternatively, people just don't think rationally 100% of the time.

What are the most fun classes from 5-10?
That's my favorite chunk of adventuring both as a player and a GM.
Get to deal with not the same bullshit over and over like level 1-3, or the clusterfuck things turn into past 13th, regardless if player or GM.

>and pray to the gods it's not considered creepy at all and her parents allow it

It's a fantasy medieval setting not 2018. If he is that wealthy the parents would FORCE the daughter to marry him

Even if he waited until she was marriageable he could still get another 50 years with her. MORE if this is a non-human or exceedingly wealthy man with access to magic.

Idiot.

>mystic
I thought they were underpowered?
Also how is this artificer?

Attached: Artificer_An_Alternative_Unearthed_Arcana_Class.pdf (PDF, 5.14M)

I should mention my player is only interested in engineer, but I'm not really knowledgeable about class balance enough to judge.

>Medieval
Except it's not.

Mystic is super super front-loaded. At the lower levels, they just tear the game apart because of feature-creep. At the later levels, the casters start surpassing them like everything else.

Artificer is a barely-functional joke who exists to get the party easy magic items then die and be replaced by a real character.

It's a 1/4 caster, it's automatically shit.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, the parents might not be on board with a girl being married to a man three decades her senior under the pretense that they're soulmates. That sounds like some Bluebeard shit mang. Like, one particular girl you've been pining after for literally a decade plus, accept no substitutes? I dunno, that just strikes me as wildly suspicious even by medieval standards. I bet you there would be rumors he would want her for sacrificing to some demon or other for eternal life. She'd have to be crazy infatuated with him, or he'd have to be crazy rich, and he'd still have to not kill himself out of depression in the meantime.

>Fetishposter desperately defending his magical realm
Sad!

Yeah, but our party...
>Devotion Paladin
>EK
>Hexblade
it's not too far behind.
>Super front loaded.
Great, I'll play a nearly suicidal mystic if I'm ever forced to start a campaign at first level again.
I just want to get past 6th level, is that so wrong

Attached: Me after my players start talking.png (386x262, 97K)

Unless this girl is in the 0.0001% of the population who is nobility, then she is most likely a poor commoner. Her parents would be the one sacrificing to the devil to get her and her future children into a life of wealth and prestige.

Stop, I say STOP, applying your modern morality to people living in a pre-modern society

A 1/4 caster is only for subclasses since you still have an entire class worth of features, the castings just an extra, it should never be used for a CLASS.

>Premodern
In a world where being trans and gay is accepted you'd think they'd also have a thing against pedophillia.

Anons? Quick question: I'm developing a Frostfell region for my campaign, and I want to add wolverine-people as the resident savagely feral carnivorous freaky tribals - can I get away with just reskinning Gnolls?

Especially since I prefer to use 4e's Playing Gnolls as my fluff, and thus these "Gulons" can likewise use that same "some are Cryonax-worshipping monsters, others are savage but still decent folk" sort of approach?

>The fireplace turns into a new adventurer

why

Step out of your PC shoes for one minute and ask yourself if you'd rather slave away for 15 years after having spent twenty or so years doing the exact same thing waiting on a waifu who doesn't even know you exist and that you'll have when you're approaching 50 years old.
...then again, this IS Veeky Forums.
I don't fucking know, man, maybe he was drunk and decided to end it all because he wasn't willing to do it? Or he hoped he could marry his waifu on the next trip around? I mean, if the people on this site knew you could get another shot at marrying your dream woman by bungee jumping via neck, the suicide rate would fucking skyrocket.
It was a decision made by his personal logic, not yours.

i really hate that picture

It's a stupid idea

user, that exact plot point is a feature of the Twilight series, in a cross species bestial fashion no less.

>not just marrying the 4y/o
u gay nigga?

Attached: 1471363817553.jpg (802x523, 38K)

Early mystic is overly versatile with a breadth of options, but not particularly potent. Mid game mystic is very strong and fairly wide, although it's falls behind bard and maybe wizard in versatility. Late game mystic is mediocre at most things, but very good at crowd control.

Why?

So first time Dming here, I'm just wondering how often do you guys usually play with your core group? We play once a fortnight and often miss a week here and there and this doesn't fulfill my desire to play more (which is why I also play online games).

How reasonable would you guys say it is to play without the full core on a regular basis? We've already weeded out the people who are one time stand ins or get bored after a couple of weeks of it so we're all a solid group now but do you think it's bad for the group to play without some individuals often, assuming I can make a flexible yet satisfying campaign to accompany this?

I've played weekly with the same group for coming up 3 years now

They still ask me what dice to roll

It's kinda bothersome to hit a motherfucker with a wizard.

What are some of the most fun but not necessarily practical spells I could use on a Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight, as well as the more interesting combat spells beyond "point at thing and do damage".
I want to goof around.

Attached: 1397013636648.png (1013x1011, 1.32M)

Who else is ready for a disappointing UA later today?

Attached: tLSLOGY.png (924x821, 184K)

UA : Character Names Revised

Prestidigitation all day every day. Also mage hand

I half expect this too. I actually made sure to spend some time explaining how proficiency bonus works to our newest member in front of everyone else to try lowkey help them relearn it too.

Weekly, with expectations of advance notice of cancellation so the group cam decide whether to continue, do other things, or cancel.

Rope Trick

Players are incapable of learning

>finally get my barb killed
>want to roll a sorcerer
>entire party is ranged
>they are telling me I'd fuck them all over if I don't make a fighter or some other tanky frontliner

So this is what they meant by martialcuck. I truly fucked myself over by not rolling wizard right off the bat.

Attached: 1507139140631.jpg (440x310, 35K)

THUNDER STEP

make a Moon Druid

They can fuck right off, they don't dictate your character and have plenty of options besides the tactics they've come to expect from you. Hirelings, summons, defensive buffs, terrain control spells, mobility spells, stealth, they have a breadth of options at their disposal.
Become the caster that mocks their insecurities by doing it better.

>I want to figure out if he is lying
>Ok, roll insight
>rolls a d20
>do I add anything?

Make a Cleric
Be tanky and fighty
Have better magic than the plebs
Cast in platemail unlike the beta bitch wizard
Have fukken GOD on your side DEUS VULT
Everyone fondling your balls for healing instead of calling you a cuck
Be too good for everyone else except the Paladin Bros

I don't see the problem here.