Are space elves an overdone trope?

Are space elves an overdone trope?

Attached: IMG_2181.png (1082x900, 791K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dx0sYbOSKdI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not really, it's just that GW's eldar are the only interesting ones so far.

Just gotta give the concept a cool new twist; For example, lesbian robot elf girls in space. Of various sizes and colors.

Attached: elfbots.jpg (477x411, 184K)

Attached: 21aqbc.jpg (620x349, 53K)

What is it about pointy ears that make the ones who have them inherently better than all of humanity?

>Of various sizes
You had me right there. I'm all for it.

Attached: 1517718937643.jpg (1157x815, 279K)

Just get banned of fuck off to already.

yes, but without them i feel that any space opera setting is incomplete

>imagine being so new that you actually tell Veeky Forums posters to go back to /d/

>imagine trying to call other people a newfag when you guys have had your lewd generals forcibly removed from Veeky Forums three times and counting

Not if they're brown!

so are we saying that any race thats fuckable and has pointed ears is an elf or what?

yes. please post more delicious chocolate elves that want to take pozzed loads plz

Attached: 1369455505041.jpg (383x336, 14K)

Why is Veeky Forums so shit these past days?

Are there space dwarfs, orcs, goblins, and so on?

Space elves are my single most favorite trope and I will waifu them until the day I die.

Attached: B5wjMXkCEAEnMyB.jpg large.jpg (1440x810, 88K)

They are just humans with pointy ears.

No, space elves are the guys that fit the "elf" trope as being better than humans by social matters or tech and/or magic while also having pointy ears like pic related and OP's pic related

>an alien race that is better at something than humans
What a fascinating concept, you just revolutionized sci-fi.

Aaaand have pointy ears, that's what makes them space elves

That must be the most boring and lazy elves ever envisioned.

Newfag janitors and autists forcing their views on the minority.

I'm planning on having them in my next campaign, so no.

Attached: Chara01.jpg (468x260, 36K)

What the fuck are you talking about? It's a trope, not a specific depiction

Also I forgot my pic related

Attached: 210px-SpockNimoy.jpg (210x256, 13K)

Maybe anime space elves. Ordinary space elves are a classic, they have been a thing at least since TOS Star Trek.

>What the fuck are you talking about?
Space elves. Elves in space. Not humanoid aliens who happen to have pointy ears.

>GW's eldar are the only interesting ones so far

Abh and Loroi are contenders. Funnily enough both are more fleshed out than Eldar, despite one being from a fucking webcomic that updates once every eclipse.

They're called space elves as a trope, the pointy eared superior beings. Vulcans and Alteans are their own thing but they fall on this trope

>Why is Veeky Forums so shit these past days?
See:
>>lewd generals forcibly removed from Veeky Forums three times and counting
Would-be and actual board police keep trying to force their own "vision" onto Veeky Forums...

On topic, do the Zentradi/Meltlandi qualify as Space Elves?

Attached: 1415965756133.jpg (585x800, 163K)

Aren't abh an offshoot of humanity that has taken it upon itself to prevent human interstellar conflict by declaring war on any human world unwilling to surrender all faster-than-light technology?

So, this thread is about humans with pointy ears, but not space elves.

>do the Zentradi/Meltlandi qualify as Space Elves
Nope.

>Allura

Get that weak shit outta here. Lotor is the superior space half-orc.

youtube.com/watch?v=dx0sYbOSKdI

I'm not OP, but Alteans are superior to humans on both tech and magic while having pointy ears, so they're space elves

They don't even all have pointy ears.

Well, yes, but they're also space elves. The same way that eldar aren't technically elves, they just look like elves and touch on all the same tropes as elves.

Fucking Christ, don't start another /size/ thread

>"My father's blood is not just in my veins. It's also on my sword."

Lotor was a fucking beast this season.

They are just superior aliens on both technology and magic, while having pointy ears as an afterthought.

Well, they're dicks, so I guess you have a point.

Elves are humans with pointy ears.
Orcs are humans with protein farts.
Dwarves are short humans.
Gnomes are autistic humans.

Every single fantasy race is "Human, But" because human is your one and only frame of reference. Get over yourself and enjoy the cute space elves.

Eldar actually touch on enough tropes to be considered elves compared to all these humans with pointy ears.

Attached: fc1264608b50e2ea865d23ab554e9b64.jpg (684x684, 58K)

>Space lizardfolk special needs cat lady killer
Get the fuck out

Attached: 3eedcfe24f35f56d7ffd296bdabd183388918f88_00.jpg (405x512, 18K)

They're pointy-eared humanoids with innate magic, advanced technology, an ancient civilization, and long lifespans. They're fucking elves.

Based user setting the record straight

Nope, you should maybe start reading up on the actual myths these fantasy creatures come from and enjoy some more fantasy with unique races.

Only when improperly cooked are they overdone.

Attached: ECE9AE7B-C031-4D72-93F1-C6D7D6A6C603.png (400x436, 221K)

>They're pointy-eared humanoids with innate magic, advanced technology, an ancient civilization, and long lifespans
Glad we agree on that.

If you take 'mythic elves' as your frame of reference you'll end up with a schizophrenic mishmash, because 'elf' has meant hundreds of different things across Europe.

Is this the designated Eldar thread?

Attached: 5e03291149ff4bdcce99ca6c45e0c55c.png (400x400, 124K)

Sure, there is not one true way of creating fictional elves. But just slapping some pointy ears on space humans isn't enough.

Actual myths are still thunk up by humans, mythical creatures are still more "Human, but".

Minotaur is human but his face is a cow.
Gorgon is human but her hair is snakes.

>the elf-purists who think they're special because their donut steel elves are based on [insert obscure icelandic poem] show up

Like clockwork.

Attached: haha haa.jpg (396x386, 18K)

Alteans have enough to qualify. They have the long lifespans, the magical powers, the advanced and ancient (but dead or fading) civilization, the finely-tuned arts and philosophies, the respect for the natural world, etc. They basically tick every box ticked by Tolkien's elves.

The thing is: This is not fantasy, it's sci-fi. They're called elves because Tolkien and D&D settled the pop culture elves as this

>Actual myths are still thunk up by humans
And?
>Minotaur is human but his face is a cow
Because the Minotaur was a cursed human.
>Gorgon is human but her hair is snakes
Different myths, sometimes they born monsters, sometimes cursed humans.
Meanwhile elves were never "humans but".

>he has aliens that look in any way human

Attached: aliens.png (498x4340, 3.35M)

>elves were never "humans but"

Ehhh, most elves in mythology and folkore have humanoid descriptions. Like, the vast majority.

I think they've looped from overdone to ubiquitous, so its really hard to be annoyed by them

Most ye olde elves are pretty much just humans with certain outstanding features, at least in terms of appearance.

>Meanwhile elves were never "humans but".
They always looked like "humans but"(with skin as bright as the sun or miniscule folk) except when it became a generic term like "fairy" or "yokai"

>This is not fantasy, it's sci-fi
So, they are aliens.

>Meanwhile elves were never "humans but".
Elves are always "Humans, but" because they were still thunk up by humans and humans can only use themselves as a reference.

Humans but tiny and fix your shoes overnight.
Humans but just kind of pretty and hang out with Thor sometimes I guess.
Humans but short and ugly and good at blacksmithing.
Humans but will secretly bully you if you step in a weird circle in the grass.

well how else can you have cool fantasies about romancing them?

What do you think most elves are?

Aliens are just beings from other worlds. Or even from another land.

And so gods. But nobody is saying gods of various pantheons are "humans but".

Yes... Was that not settled? Alteans and Vulcans are Alteans and Vulcans, but their trope is "Space Elves"

>at least in terms of appearance
And that's it? That's nto what makes elves elves. You have a superficial outlook on them.

>What do you think most elves are?
Elves.

>Elves are always "Humans, but"
No, elves in myths are nature spirits or beings of pure light. They are not just some humas from somewhere else that happen to have pointy ears.

The thing about this is, if you take the pointy ears away you would probably all stop calling them space elves. Bar the magic, a lot of this is just standard advanced sci-fi alien race.

Jesus Christ, you're thick.

What's being said is that elves are designed as humans, but with other elements. Little humans, tall pointy eared humans, etc. Yes, they're not humans in the canon of the mythology or folklore or the story they're from... but those stories are made up by humans who have made these creatures based on what they know.

Elves have a few basic traits beyond looking like humans+. But even if you take the most common of these and combine them, you still get humans+. Much the same way as the various types of nymphs are just humans+.

>elves in myths are nature spirits or beings of pure light
"Human, but will bully you if you step in this weird circle in the grass"
"Human, but like he glows I guess"

The humans who thunk them up still had to use themselves as reference. "What if nature was embodied by a person like me, but was fickle and mean like the weather?"

The pointy ears is pop culture, but nordic elves are beautiful humanoids with skin as bright as the sun from Alfheim associate with nature and Freya, sometimes rapists of women. Most nordic heroes are sons of an elf and a woman

>a lot of this is just standard advanced sci-fi alien race

And elves are standard advanced fantasy race.

I'd consider these guys elves even if they didn't have pointy ears. The iconic race like this that looks like pretty humans is elves.

they're fleshed out but they're pretty boring

>elves in myths are nature spirits or beings of pure light

Elves in SOME myths. Mostly Norse myth. And even then we don't know how much of this is Christian fanfiction.

There are elves of every kind in mythology. There are places where 'elf' has been applied to ideas clearly based on fauns. There's areas in northern England where people have told stories about 'elves' that are identical to huldra. The elves of Irish mythology are pretty uniformly beautiful, strong, unaging humanoids.

>The pointy ears is pop culture

Not they're not. They don't have one single source, but they predate Tolkien's popularization of elves. They've been an element of how people draw fair folk for a long ass time. When Tolkien said 'elfin ears' in his description of Hobbits, he meant leaf-shaped ears, because elves had been depicted that way before.

>What's being said is that elves are designed as humans, but with other elements
Of course I understand that. It doesn't make them automatically elves. If you just make them look like elves you still end up with humans with pointy ears because the term itself encompasses a lot more.

No, I highly doubt that this is how people in the past thought about them. They might described as looking similar to humans, but they don't say that they are humans that do x.

And people are saying that there's more to the comparison than just point ears and being humanoid. These races are pointy eared humanoids... that also subscribe to all the major elf tropes.

It's just that pointy ears is the standard and most recognizable elf trait other than being beautiful. Not all settings have them better at everyhing specially when dwarves are also present, but they're always better on something and mostly magic, not all settings have them as a dying race or snobby hippies but ALL have pointy ears

No, they don't consciously think that, but that's still the process of how these ideas come about. Anthropomorphization of nature is something nearly every culture has done.

They look like Humans, but. They act like Humans, but. They think like Humans, but. They live like Humans, but.
In everything but name they are Humans, but.

>There are elves of every kind in mythology
Yes, and they are not just humans with pointy ears in any of them.

They are pretty much humans+ in most of them, though.

>These races are pointy eared humanoids... that also subscribe to all the major elf tropes
Usually elf tropes go beyond that and not just stop there. Sometimes fantasy can have badly written elves than you can call humans with pointy ears because they have nothing that set them apart. The same applies to these alien races.

>Not they're not.
I was talking about nordic elves, there is no description of their ears as far as I know

>Not all settings have them better at everyhing
Most settings don't have them better at everything. That's a meme that needs to stop.

...And these races also have elements beyond their appearances that are shared with most elves. Alteans for example are pretty much as 'elf' as Eldar are.

Oh, yeah, that's correct. Nordic elves have wildly differing descriptions but they're not generally that specific.

>Anthropomorphization of nature is something nearly every culture has done
That's not the same as imgaining them as just another off-shoot of humans. They were most of the time a kind of spirit or something more closer to the realm of the gods, more "godly" themselves.

Well, they do have them be generally superior to humans. Which is fine, 'balance' is something that shouldn't be considered when you're writing fantasy or sci-fi.

That's what I said. It's that they're better on a lot of different things through out settings and elf-hates cherrypick their reasons to hate them and hide their insecurities

Are gods humans+? Humanoid gods, like the asir, just to stay within nordic mythology.

>That's not the same as imgaining them as just another off-shoot of humans

Nobody's saying that this is how people imagine them. They're saying that, no matter what they believe the vital nature of these beings are in their belief system, they come down to being humans, but.

>Most nordic heroes are sons of an elf and a woman
Source me up on that.

Yes. They 100% are.

They act like humans, they look like humans, etc. In Norse mythology they even age and die like humans without Idunn's apples.

If this were the 80s and 90s still, sort of?

>Nobody's saying that this is how people imagine them
That's what you are saying. You say people imagined them as humans. Just they would say a guy from africa is a human but with black skin, they say an elf is a human with pointy ears. But they wouldn't, they would say they may look like a human, but make a clear disctinction that they are a kind of spirit or godly being.

Good, now hindu mythology. Are they just humans with many arms?

Aren't multiple pairs of arms meant to represent superhuman strength in Hindu art?