What does it take for a 'level 0'(for lack of a better term) peasant to become a level 1 of any given class?

What does it take for a 'level 0'(for lack of a better term) peasant to become a level 1 of any given class?

Attached: 2d13801d508e1f082a8ca02573857cfd.jpg (444x922, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

5thsrd.org/rules/leveling_up/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DESTINY, mostly. Otherwise if they try and study they just end up an Expert or some shit.

the urge to smack wild animals and interloping goblinoids with farming tools and the luck to survive the first night.

Attached: Sorceror attempts an arcana check.jpg (242x300, 10K)

While lvl 1 starts at 0 XP, from extrapolation I'd say about 100 XP. They also need training in the class features, so a fighter-to-be has proficiency in weapons and armor, while a wizard-student knows or is learning cantrips. A lot might boil down to mindset, as a warrior/soldier isn't a fighter and those with magic blood aren't born with sorcerer levels.

A Reason

According to this 5thsrd.org/rules/leveling_up/ every soldier who basically lives through a war should probably have netted a level or three which is what you'd base your Fighters off of for instance, War Veterans

Not a lot really. I feel like there's a minimum stat requirement but with decent training and an aptitude for it? shouldn't take more than a few months.

>lvl 1 bard is basically a college student
>lvl 1 fighter is your standard man at arms
>lvl 1 barbarian is a feral tribesman
>lvl 1 rogue is a petty thief and pickpocket

level 3 is around the time you become a true professional and start to get recognized for it.

>every soldier coming home from war is a 3rd level fighter
How low d&d has fallen

It's not my fault that 5e has set the bar so low.
Blame bounded accuracy. Levels used to mean something. Now they basically mean you're slightly less of a cuck on the realistic faggatron scale of "still can't do all that much by yourself"

not being a useless fuck. A level 1 fighter would take on a goblin 1 on 1, but might have trouble with two goblins. So as long as you can kill one goblin, you can be a level 1 cherecter

Maybe, maybe not. I'd say most people who come home are level 2 Commoners or some dumb shit while your Fighter PC is a War Veteran at the 1st or 2nd level.

It's even worse with HP. Everything can take enormous amounts of punishment, even wizards with their d6 hit dice that goes up to 20d6.

being played by someone

Attached: pcs.png (777x1076, 1.1M)

The problem is that AC doesn't scale at all. A lvl 1 fighter with the same stats as a lvl 20 literally can have THE SAME EXACT ARMOR CLASS. I don't mind HP "bloat". that's part of the game. You level up? You get harder to kill. You can take more punishment

I mind everything else having piss poor fucking scaling. Get 100 lowly kobolds with slightly magical bows and you basically nuke everything in the fucking game. Things meant to pose a threat to the entire plane.

It's dumb

>How low d&d has fallen
Not at all i would say, in fact it's much better. DnD 5e scraped off most of the shit, shure it took some meat with it, but what is a few grams of meat when you get rid of a metric ton of shit

This is the entire premise for the opening of the game Dungeon Siege. You're a basic farmer but some fucking goblin shits keep messing up your crops so you decide to go crack some heads.

They still threw out the baby with the bathwater.
3.5e had a good thing going for it with the higher proficiencies and the half bonus on non proficient saves.
5e said "fuck you, your proficiency and saves are both shit bitch" and proceeded to dick everything in the game with laughably low numbers that are insulting to anyone who isn't a toddler.

No they did not, 5e took a look at the bloated shit that dnd has become and tryed to fix it. There is stuff that i mind, like the droping of prestige clases, or the archtype system. But playing DnD is a lot smother and progresion has a lot more meaning. Fights also stoped being so fucking drawn out as they were before. My part took on a sesion boss in 3 turns, it was shorter but a lot more fun than the fucking 30 it could take in dnd 3,5 due to number bloat

Either steady training for some years, or a single, life and death situation to force them to rise to the occasion.

the will of the force / destiny / gm fiat

>progresion has a lot more meaning
This is the one thing I really don't agree with.

The only "meaning" behind progressing in levels is either through your class features or your HP. Half your levels for some classes? your features are absolutely pathetic. Sooooooo, you get more HP? That's it?
You're just slightly more spongey with some ribbon bullshit nobody cares about

Spoiler Alert: if you're not at least slowly progressing in meaningful ways such as proficiency(not as slowly as 5e anyways for fuck's sake), AC, and saving throws(even the ones you "don't" have? Then progression feels hollow. It's like building a continuous delicious icecream dessert that just gets better....but you don't bother to ever add more icecream and just slap a fuckload of toppings. Eventually you lose the actual icecream in your mess and the whole concept of your mega dessert is ruined

But user, need I remind you that Lolth had like 68 hp in 1e AD&D?

And what were Lolth's saves and AC?
Probably through the goddamn roof. At least compared to any playable character

1e is an extreme though. They shifted focus from insane saves, AC, and cheesy as fuck abilities to just having absolutely no defenses and slight HP bloat

Hard work and determination

An intense training montage.

5e can't decide if it's heroic fantasy or sword and sorcery, and suffers for the indecision.

A retard who thinks the MM entry is actually a deity and not just their manifestation doesn't have any business reminding people about anything.

Ross? Is that you?

>What does it take for a 'level 0'(for lack of a better term) peasant to become a level 1 of any given class?

Nothing, because no real person should be classified as more than level 0 in the first place. It's like anyone saying they have greater than a 10 in any stat.

No, you don't.

Not him, but her AC was -10, which is better then most gods. Well, her spider form was AC -3, but still.

It's squarely heroic fantasy. D&D hasn't been sword and sorcery since AD&D, and even then, that's when it began its transition. That said, it's not like it's impossible to play any edition like that.

That's entirely incorrect, user. On both points.

>It's like anyone saying they have greater than a 10 in any stat.
You're retarded

Even in 5e where the class levels mean the least, a level 1 Fighter or whatever is very specifically a well-trained individual starting off. They have training about equivalent to what a level 1 Wizard would have to cast all of their spells and cantrips.

To give an idea, the Bandit and Guard in the Monster Manual are CR 1/8 and pretty pathetic compared to a level 1 Fighter. They are weaker, have fewer skills, worse equipment, etc. A Guard is representative of what your typical man-at-arms might be, whereas a level 1 Fighter is already quite experienced.

At the same time, bandits and guards are little more than glorified peasants...actually they literally are glorified peasants(with slightly more combat focused gear)
Having simply weapon and armor proficiencies does not make you a real man-at-arms. It makes you a petty thug or a mall cop.
It's pretty bad when these goobers lose to goblins most of the time.

For what it's worth, Thugs, as they are in the MM, actually would destroy a guard pretty much every time, since they're CR 1/2.

But Fighters are still meant to be reasonably exceptional or well-trained even at level 1. After all, they have proficiency with every weapon and the heaviest of armors, and have had time to develop a specific fighting style.

Ya...they're not useless(according to 5e philosophy, nothing should be useless...bleh)
But lvl 1s are still bottom rung. You can't really say they're professionals at that point.