MTG Modern Magic General

"Saga" Edition

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
What do you think of the new layout for Sagas?
media.wizards.com/2018/dom/en_J02xnuLOLU.png

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

>Previously on Modern General:

Attached: DYHH6cgUMAAiwpn.jpg (513x1200, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/984209#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they seem good, im hoping that they put in enchant removal into the standard, like disenchant or naturalize, do any of them seem usable?

>What do you think of the new layout for Sagas?
It's not the ugliest, but it's not something I'd call good.I do like the mechanic however.

do you think any of them could end up being good?

They are both in the rotation already.

I have cards I want to sell, mostly modern and random stuff. Any suggestions on where I can get the best price? Denver or LA or online.

Attached: 1516402607560.jpg (816x979, 118K)

I think Mox Amber will be better in Standard and find a place in EDH, but I think it’s worth considering.

I've had a set of FNM BBE's laying around, and I want to use them in a deck. I'm trying not to make big investments, and the cards listed are all ones that I currently own.

Feedback, criticism, suggestions, and ridicule is all welcome. Bully is ok. Just keep in mind that the deck is definitely meant to be cute, with inclusions like Quirion Dryad and Sylvan Advocate.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/984209#paper

Is mono-red burn good or should I go to legacy?

>DO NOT ASK FOR BUDGET DECKS
>HERE ARE THE BUDGET DECKS
user, this was meant to be in the OP, not the pastebin.

It's not cute, just awful.

Sell them yourself on either eBay or TCGPlayer. I'd stick to TCGPlayer because eBay shifted the scales to heavily favor buyers nowadays.

As singles? That seems like a lot of hassle that I'm hoping to avoid. Sure, I'd like to sell for as much as I can, but I'd like to sell to only a few people or single party.

Attached: 1513868669587.jpg (500x500, 50K)

craigslist

That's fair. Thank you for the reply.

>places 2 and 3

STORM LIVES ON

WE'RE GONNA BE OK BOYS

Attached: DYHOmo4UMAAN-nt.jpg (901x430, 47K)

[laughs in damping sphere]

>Infect

Hmmm, link to the list?

Mono-R auto loses G2-3 if opponent has hate

he had 3 judge noble hierarchs with 1 mismatched regular hierarch.
shit list desu

I was upset about damping sphere until I realized it just meant we probably aren't getting banned again anytime soon

So I have to go to legacy?

expect for a wild defiance main, which isnt the usual, everything else was pretty stock. i think you can find a thread with link on leddit modernmagic or mtgtop8.

well you basically had the most austistic storm players playing, so if they couldnt top8 a sgc open then the deck could be considered dead. but i still dont have my hopes high for the deck, it cant top8 a gp for shit and if anything dominaria is gonna make it worse

They're really clunky so unless they push a lot a couple of them to sell packs to spike I can't see them being modern playable. They look like fun build-arounds for memebrews though.

Aside from weenie Kytheon memes (kyth, thalia, thalia's lt, mikaeus, maybe norin and champ of the parish?)

Could have a home in Cheeri0s as extra Mox maybe

>have to juggle ebay, cardkingdom, and tcgplayer to buy cards
>accidentally end up buying 9 life from the loams for my dredge deck cuz i forgot that i already ordered from other sites
what the fuck do i do, Veeky Forums

Attached: 1500148398721s.jpg (220x229, 7K)

Cancel the order bruh

What's a good box to hold all my deck boxes? I have 7 regular plastic boxes.

Attached: 640x960.jpg (296x296, 5K)

nice one

Do they give out free shit at FNM's? Never been to one.

just wait for the drafts to finish and pick up all the free cards afterwards. some regulars will give you a dirty look but there are no written rules against taking draft chaff.

fucking vulture

promos are supposed to be a thing, and then boosters for winning
i think all stores are supposed to give out one promo per person that attends, some have them as prizes though

What kind of rat deck can we make with rat colony?

I'm glad Jace is unbanned because I get to laugh and make fun of all my friends and people that go to LGS that were screaming it was the death of the format and every deck was gonna run 4 because OP

>mfw 4-5 people were ganging up on me saying he was still broken
>mfw I can be smug when I come for the Dominaria pre-release and laugh when they try to say he's still OP, or best case "well I keep winning when i run him so everyone else is wrong"

Attached: 1497538189407.png (418x366, 108K)

I was going to buy into 8 rack until I saw the price of collective brutality. Surely, Wizards will do something about the massive spike in recent modern staple rares, right?

L O L
O
L

Attached: 1455510655491.png (502x410, 98K)

Do you want all cards to be 0.25 cents? Fuck you. I have my collection and value to keep track of.

>mtg.reddit.finance.jpg

>feelsgud to have bought 25 of them pre spike

>ponza 1th

ok hello tireless tracker at 25$ next week

Attached: 1519606074700.jpg (704x720, 51K)

>i bought at $6
>dem spikes
Might as well sell because I wanted to hold them for when I get into modern, but I have so many missing pieces I'l just sell the fucks
>sweating_man.png

maybe you should've invested in the stock market instead

I have money there too poorfag. Not my fault you can't see value cards. I even got search for azcanta for 4$ when everyone else was high on the green one.

it's a card game

The best kind of rat deck; the thrumming kind!
>tfw ripple 6

>New mechanic
You're out of luck m8

Storm will never die. They laughed laughed when they banned Rite of Flame, Seething Song, Gitaxian Probe, and they are laughing now, but storm always finds a way.

well what happens if the storm cards get banned, like pauper?
is there an alternative win condition for storm other than grapeshot/warrens?

There's ignite memories but that's just bad with nothing high CMC in hand currently, along with the fact that you could hit a nonland.

>Playing
UW Spirits.
>Hating
Myself.
>Brewing
Should I go Bant or Vial?
Price and vulnerability to hate is very relevant to my decisions.

Attached: e625a148ab608c6ad3faa4a35f0058673575fac5_hq.jpg (1024x723, 64K)

>played Bant Eldrazi against Ponza a couple of months ago
>it was almost unwinnable
>played RG Eldrazi against Ponza last week
>smashed them
Oh boy.

>Playing
Affinity. It's tough being a robot; always full of hope when a new set is announced, but left disappointed when no new toys a revealed.
>Hating
Stony Silence mother fuckers.
>Brewing
Putting together a Zombie Hunt deck just for fun.

Just lost to titan shift, can we ban this deck already?

Attached: 1482085485914.jpg (601x508, 94K)

>bant or vial
Taxes

So Vial?

Git gud

What were you playing?

Attached: 5a9.png (146x131, 27K)

In New Phyrexia they had a linguist create a Phyrexian alphabet. Has anyone translated the writing on the altar yet?

if you have the nobles you should go for bant, because casting CoCo in resp of an opponent spell and finding a spell queller is a very unique feel

Attached: 1520807632674.jpg (657x527, 38K)

this exact discussion is going on right now on leddit magictcg. apparently it is the same as dark ritual from urza's

Fuck off.

y-you too

If you can find a way to repeatedly remove counters cheaply to get free effects every turn, and somehow avoid the prolific and cheap removal, some of them could be really good.

>but I have so many missing pieces I'l just sell the fucks

wait be4 selling you fool, tracker will moon again

I don't have Nobles. Too expensive.
Is 4 Birds good enough or is Exalted a substantial upside?

Yeah pretty much you fag ass pussy ass nigga ass blind bitch whore cunt piss gobbling shit eating horse fucking vagabond dick dancing finance dandy.

Trust me I am waiting, I know heavy mechanic based cards usually get reprinted in a supplementary set or years when the set is out of print usually, that's why shit like CBrutality, Fatal Push, and possibly even Walking Ballista won't be printed for a long while.

This isn't the format for you if you're unwilling to get a playset of Noble Hierarchs.

noble is full potential in bant but since all spirits have flying and make bad blockers, the exalted is only useful in very early game. birds are ok but noble is the crop of the cream and it's the second most played creature in modern, you should plan to pick them bcuz one day or another you'll need them
(protip : wait for the reprint, hopefully at rare)

yeah and investigate PLUS them being forced to print the clues token make it a really safe from reprint card.

i should add that if you play birds and a lot of spirits you shoud give a try to favorable winds (also lingering souls with drogskol captain/favorable winds is totally nuts)

I can wait. I don't want to buy CoCo, Vial, or Noble if they're going to be substantially cheaper one day. I'll buy anything if they're 60% of their current price or lower because they're not going to sink any further.

Splashing Black would be a cheap upgrade, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I assume I should put in 1 Godless Shrine, 1 Watery Grave, and 2 more fetchlands (currently I have 6), and swap out my 4 Glacial Fortresses if I wanted to create Favorable Spirits. I like having counterspells, but I guess I could shove them in the sideboard.

>I don't want to buy CoCo, Vial, or Noble
The deck will be literally unplayable without any of those.

Deck seems really light on creature removal, with only 2 jaces and 2 bridges. I feel like the deck thrives on Colletive Brutality letting you dump your hand to get under bridge and pitch swords for value.

And I'm not going to upgrade unless their prices drop.
I might buy 2 more CoCos anyways since it's not outrageously expensive and I already have two. I doubt it's going to be reprinted any time soon.
Is Mono-Green Elves expensive?

There isn't enough text in the Phyrexian language to translate, as it isn't just an alphabet.

You're concerned about wasting money yet willing to spend money on all of the non-essential portions of a deck that basically cannot be used? Might as well just make bird tribal or something and save yourself $100.

Its draft chaff, the whole point is nobody wants it.

If somebody wanted it they wouldn't abandon it and leave it in the game store

Man I thought it felt good to buy them at 2.50 on mtgo and sell them when they spiked to 12, boy I was wrong.

>Splashing Black would be a cheap upgrade, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I assume I should put in 1 Godless Shrine, 1 Watery Grave, and 2 more fetchlands

it's what i've done personally and the mana base is still very stable, also black can open you few more option in side. If you plan to not buy noble nor CoCo the best bet is to go for straigh esper and drop the green, i'm running 23 spirits + 4 LS + 4 PTE + 3 winds + 3 mana leaks in the non creatures slots and 23 lands. The list is pretty cheap this way and still got me good results.

Yes. If you dont have Hierarchs, you should do Taxes. There's the tempo spirits variant but I think the deck is a poor man's Grixis Delver.
Get the vials. It's cheaper than Hierarch and it has an overlap with most tiered decks. Not only can you play Death and Taxes, you can play Merfolk as well, and those decks are honestly cheaper than dirt of it werent for the vials, d&t especially

I'd rather be on the side that bolts the hierarch with 300$ then be on the side that has a hierarch dead with 0$

>sell them when they spiked to 12

feelsbadman... well at least you still made a pretty buck
>mfw i invested in quicksilver fountain thinking they will moon and now i'm stuck with 20 of them

Attached: 1520721919440.jpg (793x786, 54K)

Burn isn't a cheap deck either.

To the user who posted that mono black vehicles the other day; I bought into it in the LGS. It's quite good, and I like the look on people when pain seer becomes a 100 dollar card with a vehicle out. Thanks for the suggestion user.

>buy a fuckton of onslaught fetches at $50/ea because i thought they'd never be reprinted
>wizards announces they'd get reprinted
>h-haha they're staples across every format they'd never tank!
>you can buy polluted deltas today for $15

Attached: 1515465307505.png (808x805, 446K)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1517804613432.png (880x1200, 79K)

WHEN WILL THEY DO THE SAME THING FOR THE ZEN FETCHES AHHHHHHHH

>what is MM2017

>releasing in a "premium" set
Doesn't count.

Also doesn't kill you since you can just choose not to tap it (unless you get Cryptic'd).

Grixis control, I turn 3 field of ruin surgical his valakut in game 2 and then draw straight lands until he kills me with a rec sage (???)

it count since it will delay any potential reprint in a regular set (if ever). Imho they will keep all future fetches for master sets to milk us as long as possible

>kills me with a rec sage (???)

Attached: 1519931535449.jpg (901x883, 79K)

Bought Windswept for 9$, Wooded Foothills for 12$ and Bloodstained for 15$ this weekend. Feels fucking good

Attached: 1488925848031.jpg (326x266, 16K)

If I were you investor faggots I'd buy Traverse the Ulvenwald.

what will be the next card to moon guys ?

i'm thinking of spell queller but still hesitating to pulling the trigger. Was also interested with walking ballista but between the challenger deck and the rotation out of standard in september i think it's probably safer to wait few months, any idea ?

>shitty idea : the post.