What is the best RPG system for a group of newbies?

What is the best RPG system for a group of newbies?

Attached: RPG-Dice.jpg (600x340, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Simple_D6_-_Third_Edition
discord.gg/XnKgad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Storyteller.

I'd recommend something light like Advanced World of Dungeons or Risus

Hackmaster by the book.

D&D 5th Edition Starter Set - Mines of Phandelver.

This.

5e was designed to be open and friendly to new players and DMs.

Ordinarily this is the part where I'd come in and shill for D&D 5e, but actually I'm going to recommend Star Trek Adventures. The 2d20 System is pretty simple to learn, and the mechanics of the game and especially the lifepath character generation encourage roleplaying and character development over raw numbers.

Attached: 542.jpg (970x545, 121K)

I really hated the mines of phandelver module

Lamentations of the Flame Princess

this
its not half bad
its popular so it easy to find stuff and players/GMs for it
the starter set is one of the best modules they have

I like it but I can't really see beginners enjoying. the core book (no art) is free though so its worth a gander at least

FATE

Got a link to the core rulebook, friend?

Basic Fantasy or Dungeon Crawl Classics, mostly because character gen is really quick.

Pathfinder is incredibly easy to find games for, so thats not a bad one to start with.

No, it was designed to bring back the 3e audience.

Attached: bad advice is bad advice is bad advice.jpg (249x91, 9K)

FATE with a competent explanation

Risus

What about dungeon world?

This, so badly

Laser & feelings was an easy system.

onesevendesign.com/lasers_and_feelings_rpg.pdf

Can’t get any simpler than that desu...

Any splats for it? I really enjoyed the game I played of it but I would love more random tables for plot generation

This

FATE for sure. Can be fully explained in a couple of minutes, the character generation process ensures everybody ends up with something fun to play, you can do anything(tm) all the while having actual rules underneath.

The one you're all interested in playing

This, fuck training wheels and stepstones.

For beginners I'd run FAE over FATE.

Or just RISUS.

But seriously

Depends what the group has trouble with.

The basic concept of "you have a character with stats and you act them out" might call for Risus.

If they understand mechanics but can't roleplay well, something like FATE or Gumshoe might work, more narrative-driven systems with mechanical rewards for roleplaying.

If they get acting but are having trouble with mechanics, DnD 5e or 4e, though higher recommendation for 5e just due to it being a bit better.

These are, of course, opinions of one faggot, see what other people say.

Attached: Everyone is John RPG.pdf (PDF, 148K)

Attached: Everyone Is John GM screen.pdf (PDF, 278K)

Attached: Risus RPG.pdf (PDF, 133K)

Attached: Wandering Monster High School RPG.pdf (PDF, 155K)

Attached: Violence RPG.pdf (PDF, 1.04M)

Attached: Velocity 107.pdf (PDF, 1.87M)

Attached: The Window Rules.pdf (PDF, 103K)

Attached: The Pool RPG.pdf (PDF, 211K)

Attached: Survival RPG.pdf (PDF, 274K)

Attached: Surprise Fucker - freeform RPG.pdf (PDF, 82K)

Attached: Pace.pdf (PDF, 954K)

Attached: Broken Gears rpg.pdf (PDF, 2.55M)

Attached: Bureau 13.pdf (PDF, 280K)

Attached: Busty Barbarian Bimbos.pdf (PDF, 4.89M)

Attached: Car Lesbians.pdf (PDF, 2.2M)

Attached: Car Lesbians - TrackPack 1.pdf (PDF, 383K)

CL2E fucking when

No Thank You Evil
Because fuck 'em.

GURPS lite
It's abort 30 pages, free and you'll online need 3 d6 and some papers. Roll over your skill and you'll fail.

>It's abort 30 pages

That's right.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Simple_D6_-_Third_Edition

5e. Ironically its the only thing 5e is good for

RISUS

L'Ultima Torcia, but it is not in english.

Burning Wheel

Trial by fire

Its good but they need to bring out an adventure for smaller groups. They can't expect newbies to necessarily muster 4-5 people + a DM if they're just starting out and know absolutely no one who actually plays the game. It is far easier to get 2 or 3 friends to take the dive than 4-5 friends. How many people even have 5 friends that regularly all interact with each other?

anything that is basically babby's first rpg, with a limited amount of stats
Bonus points if the system is simple but has a surprising amount of depth (ie easy to learn, hard to master)

The Traveller core books (e.g. the most recent Mongoose 2e version) have lots of random tables for sci-fi happenings. Can find them in the trove.

that's a good point, maybe a lot of my gripes with it are due to us only have 3 consistent players when we ran it

He said newbies.
I was tempted to say no since as much as I love Fate, I can never find people who can actually play it worth a damn, but then I realized that's because they have so many osr habits that get in the way of Fate, so maybe having it be your first game would be a good thing.

This.
OP what you want is Dungeon World.
It's a game that solves all the flaws of D&D, with a fast, mechanically simple powerful system with lots of options for both roleplaying and combat. Everything is organized under the core mechanic, which is more interesting than the boring, trite binary pass-fail of D&D. Dungeon World takes the best parts of D&D and flushes away outdated mechanics like critical hits and hp bloat. An elder dragon only has 16 hp, but is a far more engaging fight than anything in D&D. "It's my turn? Ok I hit the dragon again. 7 damage".... who even would want to play that? That's boring. That's stupid. That's babby 3.5 shit. Dungeon World allows your combat to be as flexible as your imagination. In one session of Dungeon World that I played, my fighter grabbed a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out the window into the castle moat. That is real roleplaying. You can't get that with D&D. With Dungeon World, you can.

Attached: Dungeon-World-388x220.jpg (388x220, 38K)

3d6 shit

LMoP is a solid module full of shit I hate.

College students?
t. At university

If they’re absolute newbies, there’s nothing wrong with the OSR, as long as you steer clear of systems with really confusing rules.

B/X D&D or one of its retroclones

>metacurrencies
>rewarding roleplaying

D&D 5 ed is perfect for beginners

I dont know, I know any edition of d&d is not the answer.

When me and my friends started out we averaged 4-5 players excluding whoever was GMing at the time.

It would be a perfect world if we could make this game the Idiot Containment RPG.

Either This: Or Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls

Fate Accelerated

Simple, lotsa good GM advice and quick

Look up Fate Core Tabletop on youtube and click the first video by Geek and Sundry for a good high quality example of play (Though they're using slightly more advanced rules)

Bumping because I love threads like these.

I cannot believe that nobody has even mentioned index card rpg. Not only is it 'DnD lite' and comes with game resources, but the whole core book is one long introduction to the concept of running and playing an rpg. It also boasts the very rare honour of being about the only rpg I have seen anons decline post in the megas because it's so cheap and the actually value the author's contribution.

Pathfinder is basically DnD for babies, so I'd start with that.

It's more like, rewarding you for daring to make a suboptimal decision because so that there is more complication and drama.

So many games are just number-stacking and are full of far too reactive player characters who can't take a hit.

lotfp the system is fine enough

IDK about the adventures for newbies though

5e is shit if your players are the average gamer that refuses to read what their class is or can do. That's 90% of everybody I've ever played with. Probably fine if you stick with the starter set, but wouldn't recommend it unless you really know all the classes and can babysit your players.

B/X

The adventures aren't even that good for experienced players.

D&D. Whatever edition.

If you're getting into RPGs, everyone is thinking "Dungeons and Dragons."

Plus RPGs are all defined by their differences from D&D. It's the original RPG, and the default that sets up questions like "should we have classes? How about levels? What type of dice, or maybe a not-dice-RPG?"

It invented RPGs not very long ago and unlike say, video games, the medium hasn't really changed. So there's just no reason to start anywhere else.

Plenty of reasons to move on to different ones later. But eh, if you're looking for something to get you into RPGs, might as well start with the one that got everyone else into RPGs.

Paranoia is fun

discord.gg/XnKgad
Joooiiiinnnnn uuusssssss

Bad suggestion, user. D&D is the bottom of the barrel entry level pleb shit of RPGs, and it ruins new players by teaching them toxic playstyles

I'm going to second Fate, although I'm not implying other systems aren't preferable.

The shit part is finding someone competent to explain the basics because understanding aspects and stress can get to be really confusing. It requires a little bit of abstract thought or maybe for someone more experienced to explain it better. Or maybe just research a lot and read up examples. Or ask here.

Will take (You)r bait.

5e

I started with PF in like 2013 and the group lasted like 5 sessions tops because people didn't want to read fuck tons of rules for simple actions
If I was to DM for a group of newbies in 10 minutes I'd pick 5e LMoP and be just fine

MAID.

Call of Cthulhu

The one that holds their interest.

Just a question.

Do you ever use minis/maps in your Dungeon World game.

Not like making rules for it or anything, but just for visual framing and for D&D niches.

We already have 3.pf for that

Has anyone checked it out and is able to explain what this server is?

Which is better for teaching a brand new player how to roleplay?

Attached: startersets.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

Honestly neither is particularly good for teaching roleplay, but between the two I would pick DnD 5e by virtue of being generally less gamey. I think something like Fiasco would be really good for introducing people to the isolated concept of roleplaying.

I guess I misspoke. Which one is better for teaching tabletop RPGs in general?

I am amazed that the 5e set has such low production values.

I'm partial to DnD, but it'll be more whichever you feel you can run better.

Storyteller system or Savage Worlds

Its a group of guys playing fate. A cyberpunk superhero setting.

He doesn't use anything, that's a pasta.

You can use things like that, but it should develop over play instead of having a set map beforehand.

Pathfailure only teaches bad habits to new players and is a blight on the hobby, D&D 5e may not be the best RPG out there right now but it at least doesn't teach new players the complete opposite of being a good player.

If you're completely new and just want to fight goblins in a cave, D&D 5th is a very simple introduction to roleplaying basics. If you want to put in a bit of legwork and write your own story or adapt a setting youre knowledgable about, then Genesys is a very strong system, probably my favourite that I've played over the last 15 years of GMing.

D&D will teach you basics, is easy on the players at low levels, and has a wealth of pre made modules etc. No matter what elitists say, D&D is stupid popular for a reason, and its accesibility is one of the main ones.

Genesys is a strong toolbox system that lets you craft whatever setting/story you want if you're willing to put in the work, but is also perfect for adapting stories from other material like books or comics or adventures for other systems, it also has a very good proprietry dice based system for getting players involved in playing their roles and making combat more than just "I swing sword, I cast spell" sort of dullness which a lot of new players fall into.

Additionally, if you're at all into the Star Wars setting then any of the FFG Star Wars starter sets would be perfect. They use a slightly modified version of the Genesys system, but are essentially the same, and are the best SW based RPG I've ever played.