Dominaria's Judgement

Ok, Idont get what the new big fuss is about, sure magic has been going down, but thats nothing new. What exactly changes for mtg with dominaria? Nothing, its just another set, youll get oneor two playables for EDH and pauper, but thats about it. Maybe the 2 mana artifacts makes its way into legacy if we are lucky.

I dont see why this is viewed as a paradigm shift for wotc.

Also dominaria thread.

Attached: 45.jpg (223x310, 28K)

This set was just a part of the shift. It was supposed to happen throughout 2018. Too bad its been derailed by WotC's incompetence barely three months into the year. I admit, I was hype for Dominaria because I'm a nostalgia fag for the old lore. Not anymore with most of the set being spoiled this early.

Attached: 1519845952749.png (619x508, 168K)

>One or two edh cards
user the set has a metric fuckton of legends that either make cool commanders or go great in existing/ new decks

Also as far as standard is concerned it looks like it’s got some powerful stuff.

People who complain that the cards will not break into other formats seem to forget that other formats always get to cherry pick the best shot from any set. Unless wizards fucks up real bad with pushing a mechanic, any set as a whole will have a very hard time making a dent.

>yfw Gix finally returns from the blind eternities to lead New Phyrexia in the name of the ineffable

Attached: 1507082316787.jpg (882x994, 95K)

Magic is being eroded. Instead of fixing the problems, WotC is making more while trying to market them as good things. It's all about political appearance for WotC.

Stop playing then
The energy you wasted complaining about a thing you don't like could've been used constructively

ok which one besides the alternate cost fist guy makes it in?

>POLITICING AND APPEALING TO LITERALLY 2% OF OUR TOTAL PLAYER POPULATION IS A BIGGER ISSUE THAN CURLED CARDBOARD AND ALIENATING PLAYERS BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Dominaria is shit like most modern day magic sets. Appealing to trannies and excluding men and women (especially white men, which is still the vast majority of the player base) won't help a goddamn bit when the product itself is overpriced and defective as shit.

Go back to your fucking containment hole /pol/tard.

I hate to admit, but the taco guy is right on this one, all we players care about is if the cards are good, all this jank design slowly bleeds the game to death.

>all we players care about is if the cards are good

then why are people complaining about the race and gender of the characters on the card art

Was that WotC's fault? Wasn't it some Chinese seller that accidentally published the release notes instead of a preview article? I'm not stanning for Wizards but I don't think the blame lies on them

"accidentally"
Pre-order prices for A25 are down 10 bux, two masters sets being a failure along with a bland as shit standard isn't good for business, and they were very forgiving for this "leak" by showing off the original notes so mistranslations wouldn't be rampant. Leaks like this (this is half the set) would have been punished severely if it was an actual leak.

>Literally like 30 legendaries revealed
>Nothing, its just another set, youll get oneor two playables for EDH
Go suck a fat cock Jeremy

thats what wonts market research wants you to think, since we dont have good cards that would keep our focust on the game aspect of the game, we kill the time by getting angry on irrelevant shit

its not the gender and race thats the issue, its the fact they are putting effort into it instead into the gameplay

/word
its an old trick to get hype going, it has been confirmed for some of the past apple product "leaks" that they were 100% deliberate

sorry to break it to you, but we aint going to see 30 new commanders with the release of dominaria

legendary != commander

>accidentally

we all know he did it for the lulz

>every post I don't like is /pol/

you'd feel better on reddit

how would you know what reddit is like?

>Calling people out for spewing obvious hatebait is redditposting
I'm not him, and I'm not going to tell you where to go specifically, but you should leave this place

>its the fact they are putting effort into it instead into the gameplay
Creative and card/play design are different departments with separate budgets, you fucking mong. There would be story bits and art on cards no matter who it's appealing to.

whats your point? it still depends where the focus and priorities are and who has the final say on things

>just completely abandon something you love and have devoted years to

You definitely sound like a person who should be giving others advice.

>What exactly changes for mtg with dominaria? Nothing, its just another set

That pretty much is the whole problem. People were expecting M25 and Dominaria to be the last minute course correction that stops this plane from crashing (with no survivors). Instead M25 is Ironic Masters and Dominaria is Kamigawa 2.0.

>Kamigawa 2.0
You say that like it's a bad thing.

You clearly weren't around during the Kamigawa block. It was the biggest/second biggest crash Magic has experienced.

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence." It's not a conspiracy, it's just another fuck up.

Your right. Instead of dropping it, you should complain on a Mongolian tapestry board. That will surely cause the cards to miraculously straighten in Dominaria! Hell, I'm willing to bet more people in Wizards will notice your complaints if you post them on reddit.

Write your complaints into a real paper letter in as clear and non-autismal fashion as you can and mail it to their main office.

That probably still won't do shit, but it has the best chance of affecting something out of all the various forms of whining.

>"magic needs to stop catering to millenials and casuals"
>"okay here's a set that's dripping with flavor"
>"omg you're gonna scare off all the casuals!"
Yep, that's Kamigawa all right.

Kamigawa had great flavor, but it also had absolute shit cards and mechanics and some of the most hideous art ever. It was like a whole block of Homelands in that regard, except with the random brokenness of Jitte ruining it even further.

Fuck off with your passive aggressive bullshit.
>oh you don't like the direction where something you devoted years and in some cases decades of your life to
>just abandon it and leave me alone lmao
Listen you small souled, small brained worthless goddamn twat. I don't know if you have some understanding of devotion and loyalty, but when something you care about is going to shit, you want to make sure that it's not going to shit. You don't immediately drop it as soon as stormy seas show up. You knuckle down, you get ready and try your best to save it. It's like when you're fucking up and you got good friends to tell you "dude you're fucking up. stop." Because good friends look out for their friends. People with a lot of loyalty and love for the game don't just up and leave because of the sjw garbage. They tell wotc to knock off the shit politics. "Wotc, dude, you're fucking up. Stop."

I know you don't understand putting in hard work to save something you care for. You're just too fucking cool to bother with that right? You'd rather light up a bowl, eat like 20 mcnuggies with the shitty goddamn szechuan sauce, marathon some garbage on netflix, and ignore the dumpster fire that's around you. Just stick your head in the comfy sand and ignore the world. Because you're just too cool to care.

You don't even have friends that pull you aside to talk some sort of fucking sense into you, do you?

I don't think anyone has ever said that Kamigawa lacked flavor or even that its flavor was poor. Flavor is important, but goes only so far, especially for most people.

>you hateful meanies don't belong on my peaceful and tolerant 4chins
Drink bleach you tremendous faggot.

>wotc decides to put characters in the spotlight that aren't lily white straight as an arrow men
>stop getting political!
get the fuck back to your hole. this kind of shit is what's killing the game, not any sort of cards. or do you just love hearing "well I guess this event just isn't firing this week because we don't have 8" six weeks in a row?

>I know you don't understand putting in hard work to save something you care for.
Complaining where no one (of relevance) sees it is "putting in hard work to save something you care for?" Don't pretend you're thinking of solutions. You're just complaining because something took a direction you don't like. Pretending you're part of some grand crusade to right the failing ship of magic is frankly, disgusting.

How much money does wotc get from a prerelease? It's literally the only sealed product I even consider buying these days (largely because it's fun), and the rest of the time I just buy singles locally, trade, or crack prize packs, since my FLGS is bro-tier. If I want to minimize spending money on wotc and the secondary-market kikes (mom and pop shops don't count) does dropping money on prerelease make that much of a difference?

Attached: we ain't found shit.jpg (599x245, 16K)

Wait, is there a problem with Dominaria?

Prerelease kits have an MSRP of about $30, and given basic retail practices, about 50% of that makes its way back to the producer. Factor in printing, packaging, and shipping, and Wizards is lucky if they see $10 per person at a prerelease. Especially given the extra prize support prereleases get. That money goes to paying wizards employee first, then everything left over after wages are paid go to hasbro shareholders. If you honestly have fun at prereleases, go for it, not doing something you enjoy to stick it to wizards is pretty pointless, considering the people that made the set you're playing already got paid.

Just the problems that have plagued literally every magic set since the game's inception. Magic is dying, as usual.

It's not the saviour the game really needsright now and what people expected. It's going to be an ok set after too many really shitty sets, but it's not going to turn the really bad situation around like people hoped.

WotC should really try to focus on relevant things inside their game and playerbase, at the moment they are alienating their players with irrelevant things outside the game and having the actual game being in a decline gameplay and quality wise. The cardstock issue and bad decisions on top of another for a really long time hasn't helped.

Oh come on, give Wizards some credit. Dominaria has some innovative new problems on top of all the old ones.

That was because it did nothing to address Mirrodin you fucking newfag, stop talking shit about things you have no knowledge of shitposter

Celebrating 25 years of problems.

>That was because it did nothing to address Mirrodin you fucking newfag

No. I was there. I remember clearly what was Kamigawa's problem. Kamigawa's problem was that the set was

S H I T

and that's it.

Attached: china.jpg (570x427, 23K)

ok, I admit you made me chuckle

Isn't it interesting how every two faced, limp wristed serpent loves to forget the second part of "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"?

"But don't rule out malice"

Would you prefer "misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence."? The importance isn't the pedantics of the quote, but rather the sentiment, which has existed for quite a bit longer than that exact phrase. Given Wizards' track record these last few years, assuming they're suddenly playing 4-dimensional chess is idiotic.

I would say that stupidity is in play here regardless, even if there is some malice. There's three ways this could have gone down, after all - it was a complete accident, as they claim, or whoever uploaded the Chinese release doc did so of their own accord (presumable because it was amusing), or it is in fact entirely intentional in order to deflect away from A25 - but if that's the case, uploading the release doc just kills a lot of interest, especially when a much smaller number of cards could've been 'leaked' and done a better job. Say, a 'found/misprinted booster pack' or something that shows off llanys and a saga and shit.

They're printing a 2-mana "I hate tron and storm" artifact. It will see play in sideboards. Very important to modern.

That's good because we ALL hate Tron and Storm. Pauper printing when?

I used to be a scrub but thanks to these guys, I'm starting my own YouTube channel.

Attached: ChannelFireball Playmat.png (640x384, 71K)

yeah, its generally does, baring things that have restrictions to only work with multiples of cards and/or being cast from specific locations(and even then, people try to make it work).

people see a legendary creature and they try to make it into a commander. it may not be competitive, but then again, EDH isn't inherently competitive, it was made as a casual format, and i can tell you that A LOT of people are gonna try and make decks around all the new legends.

honestly, it sounds like you dont know a damn thing about EDH/Commander.

>people see a card and they try to make it into a standart. it may be not be competitive, but then again, MTG isn't inherently competitive

Wait a second. Fuck no. Bad cards are bad cards. Few hipster brewers (who will try anyway) don't make bad legendary card EDH playable.

You do know literally every deck in the history of magic was made by a 'hipster brewer', right?

that's one of the only ones who dosn't make it in.
Jhoira is going to be the premier degenerate commander of the set. the BUG reanimator one is going to be all around solid. Both boros commanders are going to very quickly become some of the most popular for their colors. The UB artificer is probably going to see some play, the saproling gets tossed into ghaves 99 in a heartbeat. That's just off the top of my head without talking about the mono colored ones.

And many, many more were bad.
"all good decks are made by brewers" != "all decks made by brewers are good"

Now that we see the design for saga cards, I can't help but look at them and think these were the first draft of crank/contraptions from unglued.

>Maro designed one, Garfield designed the other
>Yeah yeah, like designers don't talk to each other.

Attached: phyrexianscriptures2.jpg (265x370, 47K)

He does kind of have you, dude.

Attached: 1376127778356.gif (286x204, 836K)

Kamigawa wasn't a strong set on its own merits, but you have to admit Mirrodin was kind of a disastrous precursor to it. Given the choice between which of the two I could erase from MTG's history, it'd definitely be Mirrodin, but that's just me personally.

>No Skullclamp
>No Artifact Lands
>No Swords
and then subsequently
>No Infect
>No Blightsteel
>No Elesh Norn
>No Phyexian Mana

Attached: jesus christ how horrifying.gif (500x361, 987K)

>no blightsteel
And of course I mean no Batterskull.

>and then subsequently
>No Infect >No Elesh Norn >No Phyexian Mana

That's not necessarily true. They would have just found somewhere else to invade.

For lorefags like myself many viewed it as a last chance for Magic to redeem itself from the shitheap it's been for a dozen or so years now. It doesn't look like that's going to happen at this point, but I'll absolutely accept an underpowered set if they somehow manage to knock it out of the park with the story.

Attached: parias drinkies.png (1000x1000, 378K)

>WE HAVE GARFIELD BACK
>it’s nowhere close to Innistrad or even just Khans
So what happened? Why is WotC afraid of strong cards?

They didn't invade, though. Weird mutants just kind of magically sprouted out of the ground and started taking over, calling themselves "New Phyrexia" despite having literally nothing in common with actual Phyrexia.

Shut up with Mirrodin gone we just have to kill Zendikar and the art directors and the game is saved!

>even just Khans
Whoa, back the fuck up there pal.

>Returning game design unconcerned with the state of the game and just wants to create "interesting" mechanics he couldn't make way back when.

If only someone saw this coming...

And if Mirrodin didn't exist, but Karn still did you think that this couldn't have happened anywhere else?

The last time I bought a box was fate reforged at the very least im already interested in buying a box of dominaria so that can't be the worst right?

I dunno. Esper maybe? I don't really think Karn gives a solitary fuck about Alara but I guess he could be written to.

Ok so MAYBE Khans on its own was kind of shit but once dragons arrived I thought it was a great set. Abzan memerange wasn’t even as bad as people made it out to be, there was ton of deck variety.

FRF was ok.There was much already worse in the prior years with gatecrash, dragons maze, born, and journey.

Because 'strong' has shit-all to do with the part Garfield was involved with. And the people who DO determine power levels (formerly development and now set design/play design) are chickenshits about it. Design (now called vision design) comes up with the ideas, the rest playtest/cut/add stuff to it and cost it.

but a card being "bad" has almost nothing to do with it being played in EDH. just because YOU dont think it should be played in EDH, it doesnt mean it wont be played in EDH by a fuckton of other people. and yes, i say fuckton, because the casual scene for EDH is MUCH bigger than any competitive scene it has.

journey to nyx dragons maze and born of the gods were garbo, gatecrash will have a special place because i got my first walker from it (domri) but it wasn't to good

Man you really know how to make a guy feel like he made the right call

Attached: 1f4d3d7f919adc9f4761bdf6573a093a879f3c2272ffaeb45f5eababeaf410f6.jpg (498x467, 71K)

The planeswalker rules change is a pretty serious change to the actual game. Planeswalkers will overwhelm the game if wotc lives long enough to do it.

Oy VEY! It anoddah shoah! Veeky Forums is a board of peace!

>"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence."
>trying to sell products and make money is malice
Nice non sequitur quote kid

>Wasn't it some Chinese seller that accidentally published the release notes instead of a preview article?
No it was not. It was the official chinese wotc site.

Isn’t the new logo the planeswalker symbol as well?

Where do these faggots come from? This is goddamn Veeky Forums. If you don't like the way people talk go literally anywhere else.

Yes and the "Magic" logo in red and orange is discontinued. Even though it is on the cards.

Only if they print far less removal that now says 'any target'.
Doomsaying for the sake of doomsaying is pointless.

That’s easily the dumbest change. The new one is so generic.

Land destruction!

It isn't, and I assume that well over half of the people defending WOTC in this thread either have autism, homosexuality, pedophilia, or transgenderism.

Fuck off, WOTC defense force. The game is not going to get better unless you stop buying bad product.

>crank a saga

kek

That's actually the original design for Planeswalkers as they existed in the Future Sight design file.

>underpowered set
Have you not seen the Wizard tribal Counterspell and Lightning Bolt? Even if they don't see play in Standard (and I highly doubt that they won't) they will definitely see play in Modern and (possibly) Legacy where both Delver, Young Pyro and Snapcaster turn them on.

>You clearly weren't around during the Kamigawa block. It was the biggest/second biggest crash Magic has experienced.
user, that was Mirrodin block that caused the crash...

I mean, I guess YOU weren't around for it, because if you were, you would know that.

>I would never have gotten to experience Disciple of the Vault and Arcbound Ravager in the same format.

Attached: horrifying.png (444x440, 117K)

Mirrodin caused it. Kamigawa made it worse.

>if they somehow manage to knock it out of the park with the story.
I think we all know how this is going to turn out.

Attached: WotC responds to its customer's complaints.jpg (600x400, 48K)

>change literally everything he said
Are you retarded son?

>some of the most hideous art ever

fite me irl

>Kamigawa had great flavor
The audience as a whole didn't appreciate the flavor. They didn't get the references and thought it was all weird nonsense, and American players couldn't pronounce the names of the cards.