Spelljammer for 5e Announced

SPELLJAMMER for 5E ANNOUNCED @ GAMA SEMINAR

GET IN HERE

>‘Giff’ — a Spelljammer creature, which will be in the book.
>“I’ll let you speculate wildly about what that may mean.”
>2017 was the best year for D&D ever in terms of sales
>Year 3 of D&D sales is stronger than their first year
>Actual play streaming is a key driver of D&D’s success, with 9 million users watching D&D on Twitch
>8.6 million Americans have played D&D in the last 12 months

Starfinder BTFO

Mike Mearls has been working on this instead of Unearthed arcana past year

Attached: mtxor293Xo10rHa2vmBSjjeitReM5eDoA056tKAH9tyD8P5uU4DxvWGQZW6LxNj_xFt8Ay0RBzgSGB49jBru19U9WErtPeV3Omkb (2616x1962, 328K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lomion.de/cmm/reigar.php
lomion.de/cmm/lakshu.php
enworld.org/forum/content.php?5054-Is-Spelljammer-Coming-To-D-D-5E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw been on the fence about buying the old AD&D stuff
>this happens

They got a projected release period, my guy?

Never been a fan of Spelljammer as a whole
— it's just not my kind'a setting, as I prefer far more grounded environments in my fantasy. That said, I've continued to borrow a few ideas here and there for my own campaigns over the years and wouldn't mind seeing this come to fruition, as I know many old school D&D fans will be excited.

>2017 was the best year for D&D ever in terms of sales

I mean, that's not really surprising. As they've said before: D&D has never failed to outsell itself. Even 4e sold better than 3e due to increasingly large market.

>Actual play streaming is a key driver of D&D’s success, with 9 million users watching D&D on Twitch

Dark days are upon us soon.

Attached: 1459109810919.jpg (330x500, 142K)

Neat.

>Kike Mearls making Spelljammer
Boy, I can't wait to see him fuck it up. Besides, 5E is terribly suited to shit like Spelljammer just like it's terribly suited for Eberron. I can't wait to see them just bulldoze ahead lazily and cheaply without putting any real thought or care into their products!

>normies in muh secret club

Can I have laser rifles and power armor or is this still just medieval D&D in space?

>the thing I like is getting too popular

It's okay, just become one of those snooty people who only plays super obscure RPG systems and sneers at the folks who still play D&D.

Both.

But mostly D&D in space.

There is no way those numbers are true. Corporate bullshit. So 1 out of every 35 Americans has played DnD in the last year. Please. If that many people were playing DnD they would be shitting out books left and right.

Expanding the player base is great.
But placing too much attention on non-players who only participate vicariously and e-celebrities that will cater to them sounds like a recipe for disaster.

As long as it can support my particular aesthetic desires for space operas then I'm fine

Attached: 1485755634567.jpg (794x399, 58K)

Yes. Repeating the notion in greentext and using buzzwords doesn't make the core idea wrong. Marketing to the largest audience possible instead of the niche market that was previously willing to put forth dedication to their hobby will invariably and objectively change the material for the worse in the eyes of those who enjoy it in its current form by making it less unique, less complex, and less dense. This is just objective fact, I don't know why you people keep acting like saying buzzwords will change this.

The galaxy is a big place and linked to your favorite D&D settings, do big.

Hell, you can go from the Greyhawk setting to the Dragonlance setting, or be smart and make a beeline for Eberron.

those numbers do seem pretty funky.
they aren't playing and don't seem interested to, also I probably wouldn't advise people to play it. but the thing is I don't have a decent system to recommend to normies, either due to availability or genre

This is actually old fashioned fearmongering, and shouldn't be taken to heart just because of that one MSPaint comic.

Making the game more accessible is great, and doesn't necessarily mean it makes the game less complex, it just eases the learning curve. Having more people play is great, and building walls hurts the hobby, rather than protecting it. We should always be trying to include more and more people into the games we play, even if those people are part of the nebulous "largest audience" that marketers consistently fail to understand.

I think the problem is that the Twitch audience is a particularly shitty one.

What ideas/rules/concepts do you suppose this will bring with it? What did old Spelljammer have that they could bring back?

Attached: 1506980308276.jpg (1133x1200, 251K)

To be fair, the only category for RPGs that fit is a blanket "D&D" category. Granted, most are indeed playing D&D, but still, a solid chunk of people playing are playing something else.

They asked us not to take pictures of the slides as they showed them to us.

No projected release date atm, but the seminar is still ongoing so we'll have to see if they'll give us anymore clues

Spaceships that resemble things that aren't ships. Weird variations in character options. They probably won't bring space hamsters back though

lomion.de/cmm/reigar.php
lomion.de/cmm/lakshu.php

Would fit perfectly with the narrative that WotC tries to push. A race of legendary, rare and powerful magic users and artists who express themselves in extreme ways and if you offend them set their legions of harrians with unnatural hair colors upon you.

wizards is pretty trash nowadays, consider their failure with MtG as of late

>scary Tumblr boogeyman

Source? Googling pulls nothing up

Jesus I just read a few lines of each and felt the need to slit my own throat from the blatant mary sueness

Attached: SynoidSimulor.png (512x312, 91K)

>Having more people play is great, and building walls hurts the hobby, rather than protecting it.
Except opening the floodgates on these people doesn’t help “the hobby”, it just helps WotC’s wallet. These are people who watched The Big Bazinga Theory or Stranger Things and think playing D&D would be good nerd cred, but they sure as fuck aren’t going to be willing to play any other systems out there. The smaller and indie developers will not benefit from this at all, it’ll only hurt everyone who isn’t D&D. It’s like saying, “If you play WoW, you’re helping grow the MMO genre,” when it’s literally the exact opposite.

"Easing the learning curve" inherently means that less complex material can be developed in the same time or printed in the same space. And wanting complexity or depth isn't "building walls" any more than referencing a cultural idea purposefully excludes people who don't understand the reference. Focused and in-depth material inherently and incedentally excludes people, and that's not a bad thing. Including others is fine, but sacrificing the content that your current audience enjoys is not how you do it.
It isn't fearmongering, it's just an inherent quality of appealing to audiences that don't currently buy your product by changing the content of your product instead of simply changing the marketing.

>implying they'll change anything
Your panicking over nothing

This. Looking around as well and I can't find shit either.

Oh and to add to this, you're right that exclusion "hurts the hobby" only if you define the hobby with the most people in it as the healthiest one, which is simply untrue. It's like saying Chess is poorly designed and regulated because more people can play Tic-Tac-Toe.

1. D&D doing well isn't something to be upset about. When D&D does well, this is reflected in the rest of the market, and the correlation likely indicates that as the D&D tide rises, the Indie boats rise as well.
Most people who play roleplaying games started with D&D, and that has always been true and will likely always be true, at least in America.
2. There are no floodgates to begin with. The "hobby" has always been open to everyone.
3.People being introduced to the hobby through media is fine (Bazinga is a shit show, but that's no reason to get upset about other shows introducing games like D&D to more people).
4.WoW did help grow the MMO genre.

Hopefully tomorrow some articles will be posted by people attending GAMA. This is live rn, so you're only going to get blogposts and live tweets.

Closest source atm:
enworld.org/forum/content.php?5054-Is-Spelljammer-Coming-To-D-D-5E

This is idiotic to the extreme.

Instead of frontloading a game with difficult material, you can reserve the focused and counter-intuitive material after the introductory and intuitive type. This is a basic goal of game design, and one that has been developing since the start of the hobby.

It's something to be universally celebrated and strived for, rather than picketed because of mindless elitism.

I'd love to see spelljammer rules, Cosmic Magic options for Wizards and/or Sorcerers, a return of 4e's Star Pact for Warlocks, and maybe they could use this to bring in some "magitek raygun" type shit.

>Not planescape

fuck off

So... become a typical /tg poster?

>become a tiny minority of Veeky Forums

Don't treat our resident contrarians as anything more than a couple of jokes that have been run out of every other place to discuss games. Every Veeky Forums census ever taken has had D&D as the most played game, and currently 5e has a full majority of all Veeky Forums's roleplayers.

People have been clamoring for different settings since launch user. Be happy for your fellow fa/tg/uys who want this.

i'm in here, lad! tell us moar!!
MOAR MOTHERFUCKER

I really hope they dont change the way the universe worked or dumb it down. Basing the laws of physics on a 17th - 18th century understanding of Space was really interesting and gave it a really unique identity as a setting.

>Marketing to the largest audience possible instead of the niche market that was previously willing to put forth dedication to their hobby will invariably and objectively change the material for the worse in the eyes of those who enjoy it in its current form by making it less unique, less complex, and less dense.

Yeah, fuck 3.5 trying to appeal to a wide audience with all it's video games, novels and other products for getting normies into the setting.

>Not Forgotten Realms

Nice.
Am I alone in thinking that 5E has been positively anemic in terms of product produced compared to every other edition previous?

not sure i've seen anyone miss the point as far as this on this issue.
with books and fluff, 3.5 invited people in who reasonably were lead to believe they'd being playing have a fun fantasy rpg where role-playing and character arcs could flourish, but instead pulled its pants down and had a dick - it was all crunch.
3.5 was for nerd faggot autismos who couldn't cope with reality and had to fall back on a game to powertrip by conflating an abundance of rules/math for meaningful participation in the world. just like real life though, the amount of inane shit you've memorized and trump your fellow autismo with doesn't enhance the quality of your life and everyone else hates you

Isn't anemic splatbook production a good thing? I mean I'd rather them go paperless pdf updates than slam out a book every other month just for random shit like "weapons: part 2" to convolute the GMing book-keeping

i think that's by design. they know they can rely heavily on the playerbase to homebrew so much content for free online that they can pace themselves and release only two books a year. perkins has said before that it prevents bloat, power-creep, and stays more accessible to new players because there are clear on-ramps instead hundreds of books one needs to buy or be familiar with

Try PF, should be more secluded.

Well, I think it's primary selling point to Hasbro was 'Really cheap'. 5e is being very clearly an attempt to keep costs down.

>Am I alone in thinking that 5E has been positively anemic in terms of product produced compared to every other edition previous?

they only have a small team. D&D doesn't make very much money for them compared with cash cows like M:tG.

As long as the designers don't also cater by making the rules more friendly to the incoming non-players, it's fine. The ability of something like e-celebs streaming - which is effectively free advertisement - means they have to do less casualization to bring in new players.

So long as it doesn't turn into, "How do we keep this new player base around?" (since when has WotC cared about it's current player base, amirite?"), this is only a beneficial thing for the medium as a whole. The entirety of table top can only benefit from these companies not having to design the games to attract broader audiences.

Splatbook production, sure. But that isn't the only kind of releases you can make. "Player's Guide to [X] for various settings in the same vein as SCAG would be wonderful, require a bare minimum of actual rules -- a handful of races, a few archetypes, setting specific bonus rules -- while still actually making it seem like the four people that are currently responsible for DnD were actually doing something instead of releases half-assed UA that gets put into a hardback edition at the end of the year.

No-one gave a shit about SCAG because in addition to half-assed UA getting put into a hardback, it was for one of the most overdone and dull chunks of the available world's of 5E. Slap out a Player's Guide to Dark Sun, a Player's Guide to Eberron, and a Player's Guide to Krynn, and it requires a bare minimum of effort while still giving people options and broading the scope of the game without falling under the weight of bloat.

Attached: animoot awesome intensifies.gif (357x348, 261K)

Exactly! If we were getting something like a Player's Guide to X each year, in addition to the two adventures and a scrabble-bag of random ideas, it would feel like they're actually trying to do something decent.

>Spelljammer for 5e

Attached: 3577.gif (300x200, 2.69M)

This. I can't fucking wait to have the Baatezu be all non-binary, the Tana'ari are all trans, the Yugoloths are into Yuri, and everybody in Planescape has a unique gender identity instead of a name.

Fuck everything.

Apparently even without the Player's Guide to X each year 5e is going strong.

I think the current team's main goal is to try and not rock the boat, given that the last time they rocked the boat, 4e and Pathfinder were the result, neither of which ended up being good for Wizards of the Coast.

Risk is good, but sometimes it's just as good to just go along and let whatever's working keep working.

BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

Holy shit, it happens again and again, with different hobbies, games, and so on, but people for some reason think "Oh, it won't happen this time."

Name one time it's actually happened.

>Baatezu be all non-binary
drow already took that

You realize you just described default Planescape anyway, right? The entire point of Planescape is that nothing is simple or easily classified.

4e

AAA video games
Mainstream comic book movies
Netflix TV shows
Marvel comics

No? Do you even know what Planescape is? Not the video game, the setting.

>The entire point of Planescape is that everything is over-classified.

>Mainstream comic book movies

...those have been better than they've been in past years. I mean, as much as some people may not like the modern marvel system it's better than the old Punisher, Spawn or Daredevil movies were. That seems like an area that's made solid improvements when it became more popular.

Yes. They also have easy-to-follow plots, quips, cliffhangers, and they virtue signal like crazy. Thanks but no thanks. I would rather have nothing, or stuff that appeals to a smaller demographic - but not this.

>virtue signalling

Maybe you put too much stock in trite skin deep attempts at increasing audience members and should just let that shit go because it isn't important nor does it affect you in any way.

I'm just comparing it in my head to TSR days where adventure modules were frequent and varied, or anything up to 4E where new campaign setting splats were really common, or everything up until the Paizo split, where Dragon and Dungeon was putting out 100+ pages of content a month.

Quality is only accounted for by exclusion. Most people are shit.

TSR's printing of huge numbers of books almost ruined them twice. It's easier now because you can just make PDF releases and sell them on DTRPG, but if you're doing actual print runs, as opposed to PoD, you don't really want to be running huge numbers of different books off the presses.

I last movie I saw in theaters was Inception.

And I don't care about movies. This HAS happened, this HAS ruined movies, and it's GOING to ruin Spelljammer.

Whereas you are burying your head in the sand.

>I never watch movies
>But I know everything about movies

>not watching movies in theaters is the same as not watching movies at all
The fuck you talkin' bout, fagarolli? Ain't even the autist you're arguing with, but that's a retarded conclusion.

>"More players means more bad players!"
You're allowed to choose your group, user. Growing the hobby won't damage your campaign, your group, or any of that.

>Do you even know what Planescape is?

It's literally designed to be a setting where you have a better than zero chance of encountering a planetar and a pit fiend sitting at a café arguing philosophy. Or more specifically, it was a setting designed to allow players to explore the D&D cosmology, but that's inevitably going to end up being a nuanced look at D&D's cosmological implications.

>virtue signal

It's funny every time I read this phrase all I can hear is the whining of the world's biggest, saddest baby.

That is an odd medical condition.

but user, they have a single sentence in their 300+ page book saying "yeah whatever go ahead and play a gay dwarf if you and your group want that" How can you just sit back and let the game industry get utterly overrun like that?! HOW?!

Spelljammer? eeh... Certainly not going to say it's bad, but very "meh". I guess we are finally getting some tangential planar stuff with that?

I feel like this is in response to Starfinder being a thing, and trying to directly steal fans the fan of Paizo. Instead of focusing on something with quality, but as usual: too soon to pass judgement, so wait and see.

Attached: 1432712726917.jpg (640x853, 173K)

What's starfinder?

For me it depends on the tone of the Spelljammer. If it's just a convient way of plane hopping between the various settings I want nothing to do with it

Fuck yes if this is true. I've been trying to make my own conversion of and on for a while now. I loved Spelljammer and never thought it got the treatment it deserved

This just confirms to me that they leave Easter eggs of future content in books they release. There was a fucking squid ship in Storm King's Thunder. It's happened with Strahd being mentioned in the MM and then Curse of Strahd comes out. I bet if you really looked you could trace hints from each book to releases.

lol

>why the FUCK won't you just let us force cultural marxism into everything?!?!?!

It was a fool's hope to think maybe WOTC would do more Ravenloft material besides dicking around Barovia.

ah well, Spelljammer ain't bad.

a bad idea from Paizo. think PF but sci fi in space

>Mike Mearls has been working on this instead of Unearthed arcana past year
Well, at least it means I can skip Spelljammer and know I'll be missing out on a hunk of Mearls slobbersoaked stupidity.

Gonna be honest. I'm whelmed.

If this is just one more of the 5e campaign books, it will disappoint.
If this is a line to (briefly) parallel 5e like the hack jobs they perpetrated in 4e, it will retread too much, end too quickly, and still disappoint.
Frankly I can't see WotBro going whole hog to even the extent of the 2e run.

And lets not even start on the reality that it started as a way to take stuff away from overfed characters.

>a bad idea from Paizo.
Nah. Good idea with bad execution that gets worse the deeper you dig.

>cultural marxism

save us the trouble and just dump whatever conservative/alt-right dictionary you use let it all out.

This. Mike Mearls is a fucking retard

>doesn't even try to deny it
:^)

Whatever you say sweetie. I'm sure you and your aryan master race friends will cleanse the table top gaming world of those "nasty" social justice warriors. Just make sure to clean up your room first k?

If one were cynical they might say that WotC are hoping this will cause a spike in people buying SJ stuff from DTRPG. I wonder how much of a spike in Ravenloft purchases CoS caused.

You "people" really do always project, that's funny.

>people

Bitch i'm an attack helicopter

um sweetie? stop making fun of real gender identities you nazi?

Only when you stop repeating buzzwords people on tv tell you to say okay? Saying cuck makes you sound like a chicken scratching at the ground for worms

>s-stop saying w-words that accurately describe me!
Cuck.

>Throws some seeds on the ground

If you're hungry you only have to ask.