So what kind of wizard was Merlin anyway?

So what kind of wizard was Merlin anyway?

Attached: pimpin.jpg (369x500, 50K)

Half-demon who specialized in illusion and prophecy, with more wisdom than magic.

5th-level chronomancer

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x750, 138K)

A mythological one, so very different from the D&D default version.

Dick Wizard.

>In Robert's account, as in Geoffrey's Historia, Merlin is begotten by a demon on a virgin as an intended Antichrist. This plot is thwarted when the expectant mother informs her confessor Blase (or Blaise) of her predicament; they immediately baptize the boy at birth, thus freeing him from the power of Satan and his intended destiny. The demonic legacy invests Merlin with a preternatural knowledge of the past and present, which is supplemented by God, who gives the boy a prophetic knowledge of the future.

some kind of weird favored soul

A druid.

His magical powers came from his demonic father, so he's more of a sorcerer if anything.

>using d&d terms

eat shit

Diviner-prophet with some skill at enchantment, considering he was the one to bless the sword in the stone with its king-detecting properties.

A bard, actually. Epic bard.
Demonic merlin and christcuck knights is a meme. Spread by the frenchies, no less. Monty Python's more reliable narrator than them.

This is a D&D thread, Satan

Oh look, it's someone who doesn't know how legends work. Good luck explaining to whatever group you run your next Pendragon game in why Lancelot doesn't exist.

Fuck your perfect schlickbait edgeknight. Medraut rebelled and Medraut killed Arthur.

I don't even know how you would make a mythological style wizard in a d&d type rule system. They mostly know things, cast some utility spells and can craft potions and items. They are rarely worth a shit in combat, relying on their creations or friends rather than using any kind of combat magic. Unless they are casting some kind of big buff or blight spell to aid the armies of the hero/villain.

In essence, they would be a much worse version of the wizard, so nobody would ever play them unless they were forced.

Ha ha, if that upsets you, you have not even begun to learn what being upset is.

Attached: 1520818026631.jpg (1600x1000, 323K)

Was there ever a Mary Sue worse than Sir Lancelot du Lac?

Sure, go crazy. I like to keep my historical accuracy 'whatever makes things more interesting' and then cut it there.
Gawain was the better donuststeel anyways.
His son Galahad was the Mary Sue to end all Mary Sues, good Lord. And he's STILL more likeable than his father.

That is a picture of King Arthur.
King Arthur, who was actually a young girl, who was then turned into an evil version of herself, and then turned into a maid version of herself that rides half naked on a motocycle with a sniper rifle.

Same cloth, different colours. Whatever works for you and your group. My campaigns aren't exactly historical, I just like my Arthurian campaign be about gritty brits wrecking invading angles and their neighbours, crude struggle for power, tactics and wartime innovations over chivalry, christianity and romance.
Eh. It's anime. I think naming their girls after male kings had become their fetish. I saw a picture of a little blonde girl in the hat of white fur and little else subtitled Ivan the Terrible.

This is prolly true. Or silver dragon disciple.

This. Best fit.
Even Gygax agreed, making him 17th level Magic User/14 level Druid in 1st Ed.

For reference, in 1st ed 14th level is max for a Druid and there is only one per world.

The dude creeped a girl out so badly that she locked him away in a time-locked prison to permantently be rid of him.

That would never happen to a bard, even on a critical failure for a persuasion check.

Pick a lecherous creep in any given party. It is bard. Thinks with his dick, easily fooled. It is bard.
That's precisely something that would happen to bard. Had happened to many a bard, in fact.
A true wizard, on the other hand, would either go celibate or won't get caught dead in such a pickle.

I know most of his spells were illusions or charms, but how do you explain the one time in the legends that he took a huge gate door, split it into its individual parts, and then put it all back together? That wasn't an illusion.

>a critical failure for a persuasion check.
Skills don't crit. Please stop looking at bad DnD memes and learn how to play.

A good one

that goes for warriors too. DnD warriors are way stronger than real or arthurian warriors.
He is just a nerfed wizard, not a different class.

>They are rarely worth a shit in combat
And that's the thing. They are able to provide valuable advice and help to people who know how to kick ass. They are invaluable allies to people who do the fighting. Alternatively they know how to hurt creatures regular people can't (spirits, demons and such) or use debuffs (hex, evil eye, illusions and such) to weaken the enemies.

>I think naming their girls after male kings had become their fetish
Well, in this case it's literally King Arthur, complete with Excalibur, royal status, frankly more combat ability than political prowess, and terrible parenting skills.
Mordred is also a chick now, but don't say that to her face.

let me guess, she and another dozen of anachronistic kings turned girls are in some shitty author self-insert Japanese schoolboy's harem, or that schoolboy ended up in the past and somehow fathered Mordred. Man, do I wish they'd at least read the French garbage before making this stuff.

Skills can critical fail they just can't critical succeed. Nat one is a critical fail. Kill yourself you gatekeeping autist.

Wrong. In Pathfinder 2 if you beat the DC by 10 or more, or fail it by 10 or more that is a critical hit/critical fail.
Gatekeepers need to gtfo of our hobby.

Why do you let your bard off easy, anyway? If he's critfails his rolls, being a creep accosting every attractive NPC you'd describe, or being utter retard that twenty cha and high skills shouldn't be his bailout of all trouble.

This is the nadir of all possible takes on Arthur. It's reductionist and ignores the vast historical, social and religious impact and influence of the myth in favour of some not muh purist elitism. It's the "ackshually" meme personified: caring more about being provably right over some thing (and in a way that you yourself introduce to the discussion) than the thing itself. The worst, most grasping sort of intellectualism.

At this point you do not take a "reliable narrator" on Arthur. What a huge disservice to the canon of myths and legends that have built up, their potential, and what they've meant to millions of people across more than a thousand years.

A master shapeshifter and time traveler, with a penchant for animating objects

Attached: giphy (4).gif (245x251, 617K)

My reasoning's in this post Charlemagne's era makes much better ground for social, religious and otherwise knightly flavour French novels on Arthur had.
Or you could make your players Don Quijotes.

5 Life spellbooks, 5 Nature spellbooks and Sage Master retort

Attached: Wizard_Merlin.png (218x208, 7K)

off yourself or pick up a book

A mage of mind ?

That troglodyte behind him looks more like its gladly following him on an adventure than angry.
The one behind him is wondering what the fuck is going on.

Pretty crappy combination if you ask me

>The Adventures of Time Wizard and The Radical Savage

That's what he got by default. Works for me, plenty of utility, just scout well and his retort will ensure he'd be slightly ahead of everyone.

If we talking Excalibur Merlin then he is fucking bro tier.

Attached: best_merlin.jpg (129x196, 10K)

Aye, scouting is one thing Nature does well

Arthur didn't even exist though, how could he have been killed?

>So what kind of wizard was Merlin anyway?
an NPC

Consensus is he existed, even though he certainly wasn't anything like most of his portrayals - neither Anglish, Christian, particularly gallant of questing for the grail.
Then again, Moses and Christ never existed yet more people believe them to be real historical persons.

DMPC of a railroading DM. Kinda like Gandalf, but not nearly as likeable.