/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail Edition
>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Eat Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
Everyone knows that the worth of an adventurer is directly proportional to the amount of rope that they carry, but what other items do you or your characters consider must haves when out in the field? Surely you've got a bedroll, winter cloak, lanterns, oil, a tent, pitons, tindertwigs, a mess kit, spare clothes, some soap, spare weapons, armor repair supplies, a whetstone, twine, bandages, a few spare sacks, a bottle or two...

Attached: Adventuring_Gear.jpg (510x331, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dx-F6VnLezM
mipui.net/app/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

a towel

I like you.

I've been DMing my first campaign for some weeks now and my PCs are getting fed up with my subpar handrawn maps on grid paper. I've spent all day today dicking around on maptools and put together 2 maps and a dungeon. Should not give a shit about their complaints and just stick to my handrawn maps and theatre of mind or should I get good at maptools? Or should I even invest in another program like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds?

War caster for a forge cleric dwarf or magic initiate to pick up create bonfire and control flames to round out my meme smithing build
I want to go full roleplay but not being able to use a hammer, shield and cast spells at once is a pretty big disadvantage

Attached: 1516620954303.png (891x873, 1.51M)

I'm gonna be part of a lv20 pvp arena, you guys want to help me make a revised ranger optimized build? Multiclass was allowed, so was volos/EE races.
All official books are allowed, no planar stuff.

Clerics can cast spells with their hands full just fine. Somatic components can be done with your holy symbol, and your shield can work as a holy symbol

A spare dagger used solely for shaving/trimming and the ultimate in trap-checking technology: a 10 foot pole.

I started putting a towel in my car and let me tell you it has changed my life

>Ball Bearings
>Caltrops
>Grappling Hook
>Manacles
>Poison
>1 Vial of Alchemist Fire
>1 Vial of Acid
And I've never even played a rogue.

Discworld MUD is like that.

I'm running a houseruled game where encumbrance is a commodity. I keep tossing my players thousands of gold pieces in copper pieces in their current dungeon. They refuse to hire help or buy pack animals and carts. They are currently planning on abandoning close to 20,000 gold at level 3. This money will not be waiting for them if they returned. They almost died twice for nothing. They killed their first hireling and kicked their second out because he talked about getting payed.

I strongly dislike my players now. They have literally said "it's just coppers" when faced with the piles of money. Fuck them. I'm never giving them anything nice again. They even ran away from a magic item that fell out of the pile while searching through it.

Beer is my only friend now. Fuck them.

Toothbrush, toilet paper

Maybe you shouldn't have paid them entirely in pennies.

Oh I hadn't even considered that, that's perfect then.

are banks not a thing in your world

Roll with it! You've got a whole party of acetic adventurers! Start getting weird with the treasure.

I think it's your fault for enforcing rules they obviously ain't having fun with

Holy shit this look between Liam and Matt when Tiberius blew pretty much all his spell slots and sorcery points on an otyugh is fucking priceless.

Attached: reactions.jpg (538x237, 37K)

I am going to DM a game for characters at level 7. I remember seeing a table of what to give players who are starting at higher levels. Does anybody know which book that was in or what I should just give them at that level?

They don't want to carry it back. They were going to get it converted for free once they brought it back. it's technically something like 100,000 gold in coppers and artifacts, they were going to get 20% of recovered cash, plus any magic items. The hirelings were hired by these people, they didn't have to do jack shit but find some traps and kill some monsters.

I suspect that they thought that they would get more if they killed the hirelings or kicked them fron the expedition. I was willing to roll with it and let them keep more if they could figure something out. But, they would rather abandon all the treasure than hire anybody ir get any pack animals.

They would rather get absolutely nothing than spend a portion of their greatly increased winnings.

This was their get rich momment and they are literally walking away from it. Fuck, they didn't even pocket the magic item. It was a fucking marble and they ran away from it. THEY RAN AWAY FROM IT.

I had a Chaotic Good Rogue that always offered people a cut of his 50 foot hemp rope to smoke with him. He called it his peace rope. Nobody ever took him up on the offer.

DUDE

Warcaster.

your players sound like pussies. or you have a history of doing dumb things to them which makes them overly paranoid

Anyone got good puzzle sources for dungeons, please?

Each item is one point of encumbrance. They have a limit equal to str. Clothes, armor and containers don't count.

They can carry whatever makes sense, they just get disadvantage on combat rolls for being iver limit. They can carry sacks with thousands of coins each id theh cared. Ghey could easily carry back some 5,000 gold in coins between them. If only they bothered to spend a few coppers on sacks.

THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO BUY SACKS.

post your character's theme song motherfucker
youtube.com/watch?v=Dx-F6VnLezM

I'm planning a campaign set around the Plane Shift: Amonkhet UA, and the players are all going to be going through the trials of the gods.

What would be some good trials?

Warcaster if you want to be mechanically optimized cookie cutter cleric no #7652.

Magic Initiate if you want a trip into flavortown.

Ok, something to think about. The stereotypical treasure horde, with mountains of gold coins? Not a thing. Except for dragons, dragons don't give a fuck about the rules.

Instead of mountains of literal pennies, give them goods that sell for a lot. Equipment typically doesn't, but trade goods (metal, spices, silks, etc) and art objects (jewelry and gems, paintings, sculptures) allow you to give monetary rewards without handing out sacks of cash. These are also the sort of things bandits and thieves would take in large quantities, for the same reason as the party - they're worth more relative to their weight.

anything interesting to do with a hydra battle? it's in the water, PCs on a ship

Attached: file.png (600x383, 556K)

Orion was a dumbass sometimes and a genius others.

what class would Guy Fieri be

Pretty reflective of his character, actually.

a Cleric of the God of Flavor

Commoner with proficiency in perform

I remember. Orion got extremely pissed later on when the party didn't want to rest, and sulked for the rest of the session (or of all episodes, really).

A warlock, patron Flavortown, pact of the Classic car.

>go to new doctor
>he's fucking Guy Fieri

It may be their last GM. This is the first game i run for them. And pretty sure the last. Any player that passes up this much money for no reason other than they don't want to bother is not worth running a game for.

I don't know what kind if game they want, but this level of in character cowardice and lazinness is just too much.

Okay, revision 2.

It's a combination of PHB Beastmaster and RR Beastmaster. Trying to make it less all about the beast and more that you're leading it and such.

Attached: Capture.png (739x912, 822K)

hemp isn't the same as weed?

What websites do you use to build dungeons 5eg? I'm building my very first session-long dungeon and i want to use a different website that has different tiles then the ones I've been using.

dude was weird as shit, hit on Marisha all the time and started to creep in on Laura. You could see Laura's disgust and Travis' rage on stream, it was really uncomfortable.

apparently he said some shit to Laura off-camera that eventually set Travis off, after that dude was gone. Created a youtube video vehemently denying anything odd happened, and referred to himself as "punk rock" like twenty times, it was fucking weird.

Oh I'm looking foward to it. People mentioned that he had some problems with some kind of substances and holy fuck does it show, he's pretty damn twitchy all the time.

mipui.net/app/

Always gotta have a change of clothes. You never know when you need to be someone else in a hurry.

Put the extra robe and wizard hat on the fighter one time to get a mindflayer to try to attack him first.

>Put the extra robe and wizard hat on the fighter one time to get a mindflayer to try to attack him first.
That's fucking genius. I'm stealing that idea.

You can look forward to cringing down into the bowels of the earth when he mentions his "half-chub" to Laura.

>Friendship was the real treasure.

You must be real fun at parties

Is taking two shots with a hand crossbow due to Crossbow Expert better than one with the heavy? Or what about two with a heavy compared tothree from the hand?
Presumably Sharpshooter makes the hand too cheesy to compare, but besides that.

Unfortunately I already saw that, and by the gods was it glorious. In his defense though, dick jokes have been pretty common in the show. Maybe the issue was that he's a spastic retard? If Sam had said that, it would have been perfectly fine.

Christ I had mentally blocked out that part. The awkwardness that ensued, just christ.

Yes, because of Dex to damage and crit chance. Even better for rogues, obviously.

PCs can use the ship's rigging to strangle the heads instead of cutting them off

Meanwhile, in my party.
>Find wood chest with a mithril lock.
>No tools, break open chest.
>spring trap, box goes boom. Give no fucks
>Put out fires. Loot contents.
>Take the lock too. Its fuckin mithril.

I'm thinking of running a campaign with a higher tech level than default D&D. Think Iron Kingdoms, with repeating firearms and primitive mecha and shit. Would 5e work for this or am I better off trying to find a different system?

Attached: image.jpg (1230x709, 285K)

Look at the Renaissance Firearms in the DMG you wombat.

It's around page 35 on the DMG (assuming 5e)
But I'd just give them a few thousand starting gold and around 2-4 uncommon and 1-2 rare magic items that fit their char

You may also consider one of the alternate armor systems (armor as DR perhaps) if you're going to use guns in 5e, they're rather deadly, even in limited supply.

Even with it being two die sizes larger?

You don't even need to introduce new weapons with better stats, just replace every existing thing. Longbows don't exist anymore, they're fucking guns or magnetic blastbows or some shit. Swords aren't sharp lumps of metal, they're magically-powered chainsaws. Use all the existing numbers but refluff what they refer to.
>but what if someone's not in a mechanical exoskeleton with a laser chainaxe
They're fucking fodder

There's rules for firearms in the DMG, they're basically crossbows but better. It can work.

Yes

Both mechs and firearms exist in the Artificer UA playtest. Not sure how well they fit the default game though.

Consider a d6 does 3.5 damage on average and a d10 does 5.5 damage on average.
You can safely assume a Heavy crossbow only does about 2 more damage per attack.

Mechs are better off as creature stat blocks you ride with full cover that beed to get to 0 hitpoints before attacking the pilot.

Hell, go full evangelion, stick the players inside giants or whatever.

>I keep tossing my players thousands of gold pieces in copper pieces in their current dungeon.
>They are currently planning on abandoning close to 20,000 gold at level 3
Are you actually retarded or are you just autistic? Fifty coins is a pound. You're shoving four hundred pounds worth of PENNIES on them and expecting that they want to go with it? There's a reason that the PHB says the GOLD COIN is the standard. Not the silver, not the electrum, not even the platinum! The Gold. Even if they had two people carrying nothing but sacks to carry coppers with, it'd still take two people at 15 STR or more if one has less to do it.
Call it Badwrongfun, I don't care, if you're being pedantic enough to enforce encumbrance rules with coinage, don't make fucking coppers the standard. Yes, they're greedy shits for kicking the hirelings, but this is a classic situation where all of the people at your table are idiots.

Moreover, concentrating most of your damage in a single (or maybe two) big hits is really shit if you roll badly for your attack. That means zero damage, rather than the big die you wanted. Better to have multiple attempts, even if they are a bit smaller individually.

I don't understand, aren't those the best parts?

How can I protect my lich from spells like Anti-Magic Field, Silence, and even just Smites with higher initiative? I've seen them drop like goblins under the right conditions and it would be in my best interests to prevent that.

Go Aarakocra, max out stealth and ranged shit, be the invisible fluing archer. Don't multi, Rev. rangers capstone is decent.

Find some way to give it resistance to spells in general. Alternatively, go the Doctor Doom route - it's never the lich, it's always a simulacrum/clone/some magical bullshit.

Counterspell

Anti-magic field doesn't affect life force, it just affects magical shit. A Lich can walk through an anti-magic field without dying to connection loss. And, they have legs most of the time, and Antimagic Field is a 10' radius. Walk out and res some zombies to eat the caster's guts

I can work with that.

This. Any Lich (or mage in general) worth his salt is Mind Blanking 24/7, except on the off-days when he needs to grow a new bunch of clones, and keeps out of sight and out of reach.

Choose where you fight. Silence depends on the caster being locked down or they just walk away. The other two are range, monility dependent too, so just give him a decent mount/means of moving out of danger.

Copper is not the standard. The dungeon is full of them. It's a dead dragon's hoard that has already been plundered before. They were given the tools so the logistics wouldn't matter.

They got rid of the help and then decided doing it themselves was way too much of a hassle. Keep in mind, they are not even taking any of the magic items. They are leaving it all there because it's "just copper pieces".

>new player at the table
>he goes barbarian but doesn't say what alignment
>be near cliffside sometime after he's introduced to the party
>he asks and rolls to kick my character off the cliff and succeeds, killing me
>when I ask him why he did that he said he was chaotic evil and felt like it
>gets ganked by the rest of the party and says he doesn't want to play with us anymore

Attached: 1507215117176.png (475x581, 507K)

Yeah. Because:
>The adventurers plundered the hoard of copper
Does not sound as good as
>The adventurers plundered the hoard of gold
You fucked up and they didn't want to play your game of small-denomination bullshittery.
Get new players or learn and move on.

Silence is a concentration spell, so all you have to do is deal enough damage to them. And yes, counterspell doesn't need verbal components, so you can cast it even when silenced. As for smites, Liches have turn resistance which protects against Turn Undeads, and as for the blunt damage Smites do? Not much can defend against that, maybe throw it in some vault in a tundra?

Same guy, by throwing shit in a vault I mean throw a phylactery in a vault.

you know, I always assumed a spell's area of effect was centered on its victim, and one would be trapped in a sphere of silence or something like a hamster in a ball
but you can just walk away from magic?
that's hilarious

Shit, he has a great mount already, I'm set.
That seed vault up there is pretty cool.

I mean the best thing a lich could do would be sending their phylactery deep underwater where very few things will look, then just teleport once they revive.

What if the fish people find it though?

>Rev. rangers capstone is decent.
Nice mem

So what? It's not like they'd know what it was.
How many Deepliches do you hear about?

So even with the 50 temp HP Acererack can just power word kill anyone whose actual hit points are below 100 right? Seems pretty brutal for level 11 characters.

I was livid when I found out you could completely ignore him and take his stuff.

Look up Alhoon. It might be pathfinder shit but the concept stays the same.

>mind blank
Stupidly overpowered against anything that uses psychic damage, like mystics. Currently building a mystic for an upcoming campaign, and that one spell would counter the entire class.

Also 26 AC with shield (which he can cast at will), 3 legendary resistances and at will counterspells!

He's even immune to stun just in case you thought your monk was going to help.

Alhoons are FR canon.

This is a very bad idea unless their magical bones are immune to the high pressures of the depths.

They asked for encumbrance rules, tho. They also chose to make this a problem by killing their free of charge caravan. Then they decided that spending a few gold on new hirelings was just not worth it. Yeah, i'm dropping the group, but this is because i don't find it enjoyable to run a game for them after this.

They just don't want to buy sacks. Which are a few coppers each. And are sold at the local store along with nearly any mundane thing they might want.

Honestly, i don't see your point. They asked for encumbrance, they know their options. They are just refusing to get paid. They don't even have to do much other than say "i go to the town and hire x people" or " i go to the town abd buy four sacks for each of us". This is not some supper complex logistics bullshit, just an "i spend some money" bullshit. They would rather have no money than invest in obtaining the money. And they could even carry back more than enough ro cover this expenses without using any of their own money.

OP shit is what spell levels that high up are all about though.