Weird Wold War Edition

Weird Wold War Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
If you could have models given to you, totally free, to demo a single /awg/ game, what would you pick and why?

For me it'd be World of Twilight. I love the aesthetic and the rules and I think it's a criminally underappreciated little game.

Attached: 15039617_1374817522559240_3375307096683550100_o.jpg (751x960, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/full-thrust-project-continuum-battle-report-scouting-mission-at-itomori-star-zone/
fivemennormandy.blogspot.co.nz/2018/02/so-if-i-was-doing-rogue-trader-retro.html
fivemennormandy.blogspot.co.nz/2018/02/renegade-scout-agenda.html
fivemennormandy.blogspot.co.nz/2018/02/so-more-renegade-scout-thoughts.html
em4miniatures.com/index.php/
dropbox.com/sh/jzeezcnkwidpl54/AADHONOkqpMnsK0E1qQFsWn9a?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably Wrath of Kings or Warzone.

I'd have said Dark Age, because I want people to play against, but I already have enough to demo for that.

Urban War. Seems like a good game that is criminally underlooked

Attached: art_junker_Praetorian.jpg (417x700, 113K)

I miss the old style of dirty, used sci-fi. Most games now go with too clean styles.

>That feel when the new OP leaves in your question from last time.

Warzone is a good time. I wanna get a Cybertronic army going to start doing demos while also adding more atuff to my Bauhaus.

Dreams...

Other than the standard obsticles of cost and already having a pile of projects to work on that most gamers face, what's really kept me from starting Warzone has been Prodos silence lately.

Yeah sorry about that. I missed that, first time starting an /awg/ thread

Yeah, the radio silence hasn't been good for the game.

Once they actually put out/show-off the Illian stuff I think it'll breathe some new life into it.

Shame too because when they put out those resculpts that was such a promising sign and then they churned out some vehicles and just stopped.

No worries, man. I was gonna give it until morning for someone to start a new thread before I made another one.

>If you could have models given to you, totally free, to demo a single /awg/ game, what would you pick and why?

I'd say MERCS. Convince me anons to pick the game up in May.

It's a fun game. The rules promote tactics over just bum rushing, there's plenty of strategy, the factions feel different enough from each other, the lack of points is a neat twist, and they've smoothed a lot of shit out since 1st edition.

And for $70 you can have two whole factions with everything needed to use them. And the rules are online for free which is nice.

I poated the scenarios here a few threads back and someone gathered it all into a handy pdf since the free rulebook lacks those for some reason.

Ivan's doing an indiegogo for "Renegade Scout," which is basically Nordic Weasel Does Rogue Trader. $15, with higher tiers being "you get the PDF early, and also give me more money."

I'll probably throw some money his way, I like Rogue Trader and I've bought and enjoyed a lot of his previous games, plus it'll make up for the games of his that I pirated and didn't really like enough to buy.

Also to make it clear why he's doing this and not just selling it once it's done, the $3k is apparently "work on just this game for two months" money. He gets less, it'll take longer, but he'll still release it, eventually.

Someone needs to hook him up with a layout guy and do actual printed games one day, maybe even a competent publisher.

Anyone know how well Moonraker keeps things in stock?

I'm trying to get my hands on a decent amount of the em4 metals but their new website shows a lot of out of stock items and using Moonraker's site makes me feel like I'm back in 1998 trying to download 58 kb worth of free internet titties off dial up.

Email and ask? They'll probably be able to tell you when they expect restock, and if you want a big chunk of stuff they may be able to arrange it.

What're you getting? I've had my eye on those Phagons for a while.

Well /awg/, I finally got a game of Full Thrust, and it was really very good fun.

I wrote an AAR here ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/full-thrust-project-continuum-battle-report-scouting-mission-at-itomori-star-zone/ but the general gist was a small skirmish went very wrong for my humans, as I deployed badly, sailed straight into the enemy's overwhelming firepower and killed a destroyer and two frigates in exchange for two destroyers, three cruisers and three frigates.

This weekend, my aim is to do some solitaire wargaming.

Attached: 2018-03-14 09.39.59.jpg (858x540, 342K)

>All that Facebook drama dealing with warcradle and the dystopian wars Facebook group yesterday

wew lawd. Here I am hoping though the cunts release shit about firestorm soon.

I instantly recognised the Brigade Models Neo-Soviets (love the Neo-soviets, except for the winged bridges on the capitals), but had to dig a bit to find those Ravenstar Mauridians again. Nice ships. Glad to see people playing Full Thrust (Continuum). I really need to finish painting up my ships...

It's fun - I think my Earth Fleet designs need a bit of tweaking, they're maybe a little undergunned. Or I should have gone for a larger ship, I have a battleship and some battlecruisers painted.

Can you summarise? I’m not on fb, and am invested in this situation

You are somewhat undergunned because Grasers are somewhat random and heavy grasers are too heavy. A standard graser has 1.5x the range, and can deal 2x the damage on average compared to a normal Beam, but weighs twice as much, which makes it quite efficient unless you roll low on damage. Heavy Grasers meanwhile have the same range as standard grasers and deal (on average) around double damage, but they weigh more than double the mass of a Std Graser.
If you stripped the Heavy Graser from the DDs and replaced it with 3x Standard Graser-1s (3-arc) you would increase your damage output for no cost.

I am not a fan of Grasers though. While they give extended range, you lose BD* because of that extended range (and also have random damage). In my limited experience so far, a Graser-2 losses to a Beam-3 as the two sides close, since the Beam gets to throw down more dice and get more crit re-rolls from that.

Looking at your CLs, you have a Graser-3 (1-arc) which means you have 8 of your 50 mass put into a weapon that cannot shoot most of the time. If you swapped it out for 2x Graser-2 (3-arc) you would be able to fire more often with more firepower, for no increase in mass/cost, although you would lose the extreme range that the Graser-3 gave (whenever it could get a target that is). I would suggest avoiding 1-arc weapons, since you will have trouble placing an enemy directly infront of your ships after the enemy moves away from their deployment zone.

Lastly you CA/CH is using missiles, but in a manner that fires one at a time. You do save 1 mass this way, but I would suggest replacing the launcher+magazine with 2x SMRs and make the ship heavier. That way you can fire all missiles at once on a target (ie the scariest enemy) and they will only get one round of point-defense, instead of two (like they did in your game)

Trying a game of PMC 2640 next week using the demo pdf. What are /awg/'s thoughts on it?
Was going to be using an officer team, rifle section, spotter team, mortar team and a light mech on each side, does that sound reasonable?

Urban War is a fantastic game. I'm sad it's on such a backburner now due to Age of Tyrants.
You can't even buy the rules anywhere now; I asked the guy who runs Scotia Grendel if he had plans to fix that, and he said he was planning on releasing the first edition for free, but that was like a year back.

Additionally, the enemy had more large ships compared to you, which meant that they could take more damage before losing systems to threshold checks/death. One big ship versus 2-3 smaller ships of equal total mass/cost will generally win due to it's greater survivability/endurance. The enemy DD was almost as heavy as your CLs, while the FFs were almost as heavy as your DDs. This is not ideal. Their is a point that large numbers of small craft are better than one large one, but that is usually to do with super dreadnoughts/heavy carriers.

One last thing I noticed is that your opponent did not invest in any mass into armour, and only a token amount into PDSs, but got strong-shields, while you did the exact opposite. Armour is fine, Shields are good, but PDSs are a problem. Shields are useful since most weapons are affected by it, but PDSs are only useful if the enemy brings missiles/strike craft. If you know your opponent is not bringing any of those to the table, you are wasting mass/points by getting PDSs. In the future as you expand your fleets with new ships these things will come in, but for now if you don't see any need for PDSs, ditch them. You will suddenly be able to stick another weapon or two onto all your ships, or gain shields. Shields are actually a good buy, since for less than the mass of your
armour, you can negate ~1/3 of incoming beam attacks, which is what the enemy fleet (and most fleets really) are equipped with.

I strongly suggest getting level-1 shields for all of your ships, sacrificing armour if need be.

tl;dr
>Avoid Heavy Grasers, Standard Grasers should be rather efficient, but I prefer regular beams.
>Level-3 weapons are a bit expensive, single-arc weapons are usually not that great after the first two turns, and Missiles are best when fired all-at-once.
>Bigger ships beat smaller ships. PDSs are not useful to you right now, but shields are.

>you can negate ~1/3 of incoming beam attacks
I mean that ~1/3 of beam hits (not attacks) would no longer be hits, so instead of hitting 1/2 the time, the enemy only hits 1/3 of the time.

Altogether your fleet was not bad in general (besides the heavy grasers and single-arc on the CLs), but considering your opponent's setup (big ships, lots of beams and shields), there are some things that can be optimized.

Confession time - I designed, built and painted both fleets putting theme and fiction before optimization. The factions were originally for a space opera RPG I ran based all about underdog humans against powerful alien empire, and I just tried to codify it all into FT datasheets based on how the RPG's combat had shaken down.

I think your advice will be useful for better tweaking the designs while keeping the intended flavour, thanks.

One of the people he chats with elsewhere here. I'm working on layouts for a couple of his games just to pitch at Based Ivan. If he digs them, I'll be redoing any books in his line he wants and hooking him up with resources for future books.

Bless him but Squadhammer needs work.

Who owns MERCS now? Did Megacon keep it or has it gone to a better home?

Explain further

Yeah, I could tell you were putting theme and designs that matched ship models above efficiency (you clearly have a setting that you care about). That is fine, and fun (so long as there is no obvious advantage to one side), but since you asked for help upgunning the Earth fleet, I went full crunch. Sorry if I seemed a little aggressive or condescending, I just went at it with a pure look at how to make the ships more powerful with minimal changes to mass/cost/flavour (with the exception of adding shields to everything since they are soooo good).

You could also keep the designs you have for maximum fluff, and just increase the points available to the humans to make up for their less efficient designs, or give the humans missions that take into account their weaker nature (more defensive missions, or raids where they don't get stuck in prolonged close combat).

Hope you have fun either way. That really is the only thing that matters in the end.

It's going to a nee company, but said company hasn't made any formal announcement yet. The plan is for them to make said announcement sometime this month.

So we're still waiting to see who bought Megacon, but they said they fully untend to continue making Myth and MERCS.

A mountain was made out of mole hill essentially.

A poll was conducted by the group admins in response to some people not being happy that the warcradle guys were admins of a fan group. The warcradle guys did not like that at all. Essentially a long post was made by a warcradle guy stating to the group "This isn't a democracy. We are staying. However if the vote goes against us we will leave and this group won't see us or hear from us again. Reminder to everyone the other groups are dead and this is the only active one so of you don't like it you're free to join those. However we will not tolerate a vocal minority who dont like us and sow discontent in the group."

Now people didn't like that so he apologized. Not only for his tone, his vieled threats lf leaving and also censoring those that voice unpopular opinions about the company. Now the warcradle guys were demoted to mods. Then reinstated then the old admins those that were originally there stepped down giving the group to warcradle after the poll went the opposite way in support of warcradle.

They then made a followup post trying to wipe it all under the rug and let bygones be bygones but basically said and restated his first post.

Essentially it was a shit show with a lot of asshurt by warcradle and by people of the group. If you'd like I can repost what was said here.

Would it be safe to order, then? Was thinking of picking up Texico and USCR for playtesting purposes

It's a shame about Prodos, do we know something about this long silence? I remember they got robbed at Essenspiel, but communications were basically already dead after summer.

I hope that 2.3 full will give us back rules to field unnamed and customizable commanders, or at least give Capitol a generic leader dude, I miss the "your dudes" it had.

No time like the present. No idea who's buying Megacon so might as well get what you can now while you know you can get the stuff.

Interesting faction picks. Texico is tricky with their traps and shit, USCR are slow and steady and generally less likely to win raxes to objectives. They really benefit from solid positioning early on.

The good thing, though, is I don't find any of the factions to be particularly unbalanced so you can totally pick stuff you just think looks cool and still have a damn good chance at winning matches if you play smart.

I honestly picked them with the time honored tradition of "Those dudes look cool."

Second picks were EIC in place of Texico and Sefadu in place of USCR

I will suggest a quick tweak or two for the Astorans as well, actually.

To keep with their 'advanced' nature, as well as to make them more capable of defending against different attacks, I would suggest looking at Advanced Screens (shields). They cost more, but defend against everything. Dropping the PDSs from the ships could give the FF and DD almost enough mass to do this, while the advanced screens will be able to weaken every attack (even missiles/strike craft) that come in (reducing the need for those PDSs). No chance of blowing up fighters/missiles before they hit you, but you can defend against all attacks equally (so the defenses cannot be overwhelmed by a large concentration). It's a trade-off, but could make things more interesting.

Another thing is that the Astorans seem to rely on broadside weapons. There is an alternate ship weapon-arc setup (on pg28) where everything is rotated 30 degrees, pic related.
This configuration could give better weapon coverage for the Astorans (since they can also fire 'forward'), and allow their forward torpedoes to fire to the 'front' with better firing arcs (by paying the +1 mass to make it fire in the front-left and front-right arcs). It is important to note though that this would make most of their weapons heavier, since they will be 3-arc instead of broadsides, resulting in either less weapons or heavier ships.

Attached: FTC_BetaConfig.png (647x350, 42K)

Thanks for the detailed feedback, it's much appreciated even if I might have come across as a bit of a fluff-at-any-costs type. The whole project is a bit WIP, so advice is much appreciated.

In my wider orders of battle and figure collections both sides have carriers, I just didn't want to use fighters in a teaching game. Hence the PDS on both fleets. Also larger EF ships have more SMLs with deeper magazines.

Larger Astoran ships (battlecruiser, battleship, carrier and dreadnought) all have Advanced Screens and Advanced Drives, which was a flavour decision I made to represent the best tech being limited to larger ships which could fit it, and reserved for the top ranks.

I did look at the beta arcs and decided against it, as I was trying to emulate the BFG Imperial and Dropfleet PHR play style of forward beams/torpedoes/nova cannons and broadside buckets of dice. Their BC and BB have axial singularity cannons to this end.

What I'll probably do is rework both Orbats taking this advice as a starting point. Thanks again!

I thought Clash on the Fringe was intended to be Rogue Trader-ish?

I think this is closer to Rogue Trader, rather than just a game about the same scale? d100 charts for things, and all that. OSR sort of stuff. He had some posts about the idea.

fivemennormandy.blogspot.co.nz/2018/02/so-if-i-was-doing-rogue-trader-retro.html

fivemennormandy.blogspot.co.nz/2018/02/renegade-scout-agenda.html

fivemennormandy.blogspot.co.nz/2018/02/so-more-renegade-scout-thoughts.html

Ah, right - rereading those he's pretty clear that it's a loose retroclone, although it's replacing some mechanics with stuff from supplements and 2e 40K.

Fucking hell. I had thought from the forums that they seemed like a “shut up we own the game so we’ll do whatever we want stop asking questions plebs” kind of company. Not pandering to a minority, fine, but yeah.

I have a PDF or Urban war 2. You can still buy it from urbanwar.nl might check nergals later

Honestly, I dunno what Rogue Trader's rules (or WH40k 2e) consisted of, so allusions to the old rules don't mean much to me.
I just figured they were like Clash's d10 system, or something, given what I had heard of Clash.
Is the only similarity between RT and Clash how big a battle is?

I know it's more of a /hwg/ thing, but it's gotta be said some time:
Victrix is fucking amazing, holy shit. I love to work with their stuff.

I know, right? I bought a box of elephants and Carthaginian soldiers for Broken Legions and holy shit I fell in love.

Attached: cadwallon militia.jpg (720x960, 138K)

So this arrived in my mailbox today. Pretty stoked.

Would you guys like an un boxing video even though thr models are a little older?

Attached: 20180314_154135.jpg (4160x2080, 3M)

If you are serious about making youtube content it makes absolute sense to shoot unboxings because if you actually bother to edit your shit they are an inexpensive video in terms of your time that you need to pad out the rest of your high production shit

That's sort of how I look at it: content is content and these little in-boxings of blisters take like 10 minutes of filming and little time to edit. The longest part of the process is waiting for my slow ass desktop to process the video.

In other news Megalith showed off the Wyldfolk Avatar for Godslayer. The face is a bit meh, but overall I would follow her into the woods.

Attached: FB_IMG_1521065476710.jpg (613x921, 56K)

bump

Based on your advice I've redesigned all the EF ships - I've kept some of the theme (Wave Motion Gun style axial weapons, grasers and salvo missiles) but added a few points of mass and some more guns.

Instead of screens they all get regenerative armour to represent slowly recharging barriers now - primitive shield tech rather than cool hightech stuff.

Frigates and Destroyers got a bit slower, but everything now has more level-2 guns in general.

Does anyone know of any lines that offer futuristic power armor knights that offer a style that's somewhere between the chunky ornate 40k style and the sleek Infinity style?

>19 models
Goddammit and you couldn't include the best noble+squire combo

Attached: lm013_3.jpg (600x750, 56K)

Its good to see some equal representation in sexy pose minis.

Attached: Tank-1.jpg (960x960, 88K)

Would you mind posting a pic of the new SSDs?

That's most of these sets. Rackham had too many good sculpts.

Does anyone know if aomeone out there has converted some of the 1st edition BMG stat cards to 2nd edition? Maybe updated with new wording on rules and stuff fromnthe FAQ?

I would do it myself if I had any talent for that.

There's a dropbox floating around with a lot of them done that work. Not my personal taste, as I'm fairly good with just memorising the rules for my crew, but a few people in my group have used them. It also doesn't help that despite me looking for them, I can't seem to find them

At the moment they're still handwritten, but my plan was to make them in photoshop when I got a chance.

Huh, I'll have to see if I can find that Dropbox.

A weird choice by Sans-Detour...
I also don't understand why including three dogs. But they are also saying there will be some sculptures that did not enter production during the last years of Rackham. Who knows. I would like at least to see how will be the real production minis.
I love Adrian Smith design, but the guys at Cmon have to invent something else beside the all - tentacle in your face - monster type.

Attached: confclassic.jpg (720x960, 79K)

Eisenkern Infantry with a bit of conversion?
There's also some knighty Relic Knights dudes that are pretty okay. I got those from a clearance sale at my LGS, no idea how expensive they would be when bought regularly.

>tfw em4 actually listened to you and have a new sexy site with decent pictures of their cheap miniatures

em4miniatures.com/index.php/

Attached: 0041_copy.jpg (500x500, 31K)

>Weird Wold War Edition
maybe it's just the autumn Flecktarn, but those guys looks dope.

Attached: warlord-Waffen-SS-Shocktrooper-Squad-02_grande.jpg (600x600, 55K)

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. You might like Mark III and Mark IV space marines plastic from GW, Anvil Industries Exo-Lords, Konflict 47 British Armoured Infantry with Lancelot pattern helmets and Beyond Gates of Antares' Concord Strike squads from Warlord, Prodos' Capitol Heavy Infantry, Hasslefree Sci-Fi humans, Privateer Press' Warmachine line too has some units that might fit the bill, plus Brother Vinni for some power armour the likes of which you might have seen in some videogame worn by a pretty steely brotherhood . Tell us more about what you're looking for so that we might be able to help you by narrowing down options.

Here you go
dropbox.com/sh/jzeezcnkwidpl54/AADHONOkqpMnsK0E1qQFsWn9a?dl=0

What’s anyone working on this weekend? I got a package from Brigade yesterday, for the 6mm campaign I’m playing with a friend, but it’s had to be postponed due to illness.

I snapped up all those dudes when CMoN ran the sale a few months ago. Good stuff.

Ah, well when you are able, I would be interested to see them.

I've received my Smog: Rise of Moloch parcel, after some misadventures with shipping.
I will probably try to paint one or two of the figures. They are tiny, more on a historical scale (28mm).

>the warcradle guys were admins of a fan group

In what sense is that a 'fan' group?

Which is better for alternate WW II
Konflict'47
Or
Dust 1947

And yeah, those guys do look nice.

I didn't realize Dust was still getting support. Last I heard it was a dead game, huh.

Both have solid rule sets.

KF47 if you want normal WW2 with weird war support. Mix and match of familiar tanks and weapons, and new "Rift-tech".

Dust 1947 if you want 100% Weird War. All the infantry are new and updated, and loads of mechs.

At least that's how Dust was when it started.

probably in the same way almost every wayland Infinity organized play event I attended had the staff playing in the tournament and taking prizes for winning

Yeah, I have their revised core starter set, and I have the Dust warfare book, I haven't really played it because of the whole Battlefront and illustrated debacle. I saw no sense in getting more stuff if the game was gonna die.

Game seems stable now so I kinda want to pick up some stuff, but well see.

You’ll have to send photos, I’ve not come across that before

Because it fuckin blows

Dust both at GAMA

Attached: FB_IMG_1521134922341.jpg (960x720, 95K)

Wah-wah.

Dust: "We still exist!"

God, those books under the table at the front are just the saddest thing.

That's a pretty poor display to be honest.

There adepticon/origins presence is much bigger. The Guy running Dust USA is based in Ohio and is able to haul more stuff to closer shows. GAMA being as close as it is to Adepticon also limits what the bring there.

Thanks!

I get why they aren't using pictures of the models, but man with some characters it's a bit of a bitch tonfigure out which version which card goes with.

I love DUST for the walkers, but I prefer K47 for the fact that it has separate armies for each nation.

Attached: amon hen.jpg (960x640, 104K)

So how did pantsless Orcs become a thing anyway?

Cute forest denizens bump

Attached: 4EF70226-1FFB-4A99-A73C-6DB0AE73D0A5.jpg (1600x1600, 530K)

Are these from 1963 or something?

>but I prefer K47 for the fact that it has separate armies for each nation.
What do you mean? Looking at the Dust '47 pdf there are various factions and blocs mentioned, with their own platoon-building rules.
Unit names aren't generic, either - "Ranger Weapon Squad" or "M1A Light Assault Walker"

A more savage look.
Only civilized orcs wear pants.
The ent looks good, strangely.
Eveything's so clean, no dirt or dust on that table.

speaking of weird war anyone got team yankee PDFs?

Attached: 28700696_2006570812703935_4106890781058307211_o.jpg (1344x1793, 219K)

I think it was a mix of cheap toys and sculpey-type stuff. Can’t remember.

The ent is possibly my favourite model ent ever, without even joking too hard.

Genuinely looks better than a horde of grey plastic.

That Ent is cute. Reminds me of the old Asgard(?) Treeman which was literally a tree with a bit of a face on it.

I swear this guy posts on either Veeky Forums or the Oldhammer site. He can paint well too but I love these daft projects of his.

theswordinthesprue.blogspot.co.nz

Attached: IMG_20180107_002453544.jpg (1248x1600, 492K)

Yeah, the walkers are pretty sweet, especially the Axis ones, I've seen the German walkers for Konflikt'47 and I'm just not feeling them, that's probably the only thing stopping me from jumping into the game honestly.

Can you use the Dust walkers in K'47?
Or is the scale different, or...something else?

Probably not because of scale differences, but I say if you wanna use em, fuck it go nuts.

dust and k47 are slightly different in terms of scale.
Dust is 32mm and K47 28mm.
But you can't see the pilots in most of the walkers, so there is nothing stopping you. You just need to figure out rules for them.

If you are into that kind of stuff you should also check out secrets of the third reich by west wind productions.

I mean that there aren't specific countries.

In K47 there's British, Americans, Germans, Finns, Soviet, Italiand, Japanese.

In DUST there's Axis, Allies and SSU. That's it.

Ah, you meant nations literally, right, of course.
I just mentally substituted that for "the factions present in the game". Obviously, a silly thing to do here.