How much land and vassals each ranks should have...

How much land and vassals each ranks should have? How big should be their manor or castle and how many troops can they lead in wartime?

Attached: 1494795708196.jpg (557x719, 61K)

It's funny to look at this list and count how many of the titles are just twisted words meaning 'ruler' or 'boss'

depends on a lot of factors, like a count can have larger holdings than a duke

Depends on how rich the land is, and how successful the noble family has been.

Depends on how rich the land is, and how successful the noble family has been.

Well duh, all nobility are just popular/rich people who the leader gave more rights too.

Its been speculated that america is heading that way with its rich and if it continues exactly like that there will be a new semi-feudal merchant nobility.

It's a shame word Dame doesn't ever gets any use as a female Knight
It sounds cool

If you say dame in public, people either think you’re making a corny “film noir” era reference, or you’re a serious English nerd.

But I agree it is a nicer word.

The idea that titles of nobility were that clearly structured and defined or even hierarchical isn't historical at all y'know

Your picture shows a hierarchy of honor, not a hierarchy of power. Counts can be more powerful than kings.

>How much land and vassals each ranks should have?

The lowest rank should just about hold a village.

Then you just add them together all the way up until the entire country is under control.

If you looked at historical examples such as in Feudal France, titles such as Grand Duke, Archduke, Duke, and even Count didn't really denote how much power you had.

Historical example is the County of Flanders, which was one of the more powerful fiefdoms of medieval France but never rose to a higher and more prestigious title such as Duke.

There is also the Duchy of Normandy, which was originally conceived as a County, but as the Counts of Normandy rose to power, they decided to call themselves Dukes.

Prefixes such as Grand or Arch could merely be arbitrary, such as the Archduchy of Austria, which wasn't anymore significant than the other duchies or kingdoms of Germany in itself, but it certainly did denote that the rules of Austria were more prestigious by virtue of their dynastic capabilities.

Tiles such as Margraves tend to held more autonomy. Likes German Grafs (who were basically Counts), the Margrave were the Grafs of the Marches (see the etymology?), which denotes a border area. Due to their position they required more autonomy from the King, or Emperor what have you, in order to provide the rest of the realm security.

The real and exact distinguishing features of these titles is simply what the crown makes of them. Some kingdoms actually gave different rights and privileges by title/rank, some are simply there as a matter of prestige. For example, an English Early, which is the supposed equivalent of a Count, had far different responsibilities than their feudal French counterparts. While the English Earls did hold land of their own, they did not necessarily own the land of the county (or Earldom) they bestowed. While their title was apparently hereditary, they were charged with other responsibilities of the county, one of the privileges they had was the ability to get a cut of the taxes (I believe it was a third but don't count me on that.)

That's all the information I can give you at the top of my head for now.

A baron has a single holding- such as a city or castle.

Multiple baronies make up a county- held be a Count. Multiple counties bee Duchy, etc. until you reach an Empire which holds the land of multiple Kingdoms.

Keep in mind though those are feudal titles held by nobility, with differing titles of you are lowborn/republican, or a member of the clergy.

Yeah but how often do you actually use the word knight in public either

queen isn't the equivalent title to king

Then what were actually ruling female monarchs - who have never been common but have existed - called?

This user is useful. Read his shit.

Also to touch on the arch-title, I think with Austria it was down to the pope refusing to call him a king so they compromised. Earlier on you didn't need the pope to claim to be a christian king, hence the heptarchy. If someone had that reaction image saying that it depended on all manner of things in the setting now would be the time to post it, because the entire question is pointless without context.

There are a few cool titles that aren't really covered by that picture, like the german/scandinavian friherre/freiherr which means "free lord"

They were called queens, but their husbands wouldn't become kings, they'd be a prince

It kinda depends. Some would be called "king", actually.

Queen Regnant. Queen is entirely applicable. Elizabeth I was a Queen, as I recall, for example.

Just do what ck2 does.
>Emperor has 2 kings
>Kings have 3 Dukes
>Dukes have 4 counts
>counts have 5 barons
Is it realistic? No. Will it keep it simple and straight? Yeah.

I too have played CK2

I totally use dame for the female knights of my setting.
But then I'm French.

Attached: La dame de Grenat.png (764x1080, 1.02M)

Or Queen's Consort, though that is more of a styling than a title.

But in ck2 it's more like
>Emperor has one king and not really on purpose, but now that he's formed the kingdom might as well keep transferring vassals under him
>King has as many dukes as there are de jure duchies in his realm
>Dukes have 0-5+ counts depending on the de jure counties in their duchy, how many random-ass counts they control for no apparent reason, and whether their succession laws allow them to personally hang onto the counties they revoke from their subjects
>Counts have 1-6 barons, as each county has 6 max non-capital barony slots total, but some are so undeveloped there's just one barony in there aside from the boss
>all this can go out the window when somebody controls multiple duchies or counties, usually because their succession laws don't break them up among heirs on death