Internet vs IRL RP

Do you Veeky Forums exclusively in person?

Modern tech makes it so DnD is more active than ever and it's more believable since you put the voices to each character in your head, and you can post random images that enhance the DM's descriptions.

On the other hand there is some charm in ye good olde meetings, and, from experience, it can be more fun and just as immersive, if your friends are good at it. Not to mention the dice feels less rigged if YOU fail personally instead of just using rolling commands.

What would you choose and why?

Attached: LivUfBA.jpg (500x352, 30K)

Make everybody have a vive or rift and host sessions in VR chat.

I enjoy both, but I've got to say gaming in person is definitely my preference. Even without things like atmospheric music or images I prefer it just for how easy it is.

I like doing shit in real life because I like fucking with my players by doing shit like having Gringo the Goblin cross your pass, steal all your teammates and armor, and force you to play him in a good ol' game of Gringo to get your shit back.
>Write out a stack of playing cards
>The only thing written on them is GRINGO TAKE ANOTHER CARD or GRINGO YOU CAN'T GRIN-GO THIS TURN
>At the bottom of the stack is a single card that has YOU WINGO written on it
I've been upping the ante with each appearance. The finale will have him force the party to play his shitty pen and paper homebrew "Gringos and Goblins"

Real life because I can get after people right then and there for not paying attention, being obnoxious, or doing other stuff because I can see it.

Other enjoyable experiences I've had over online include
>Playing in a session where 3/4 of the group met up IRL, but they still did it in tabletop simulator, and the DM accidentally turned his volume too low. I wasted a good 15 to 30 minutes trying to interject while no one could hear me because they were just talking over each other.
>People who, mid session, suddenly stop responding or doing anything, and about an hour or two later they come back with "Sorry guys, had to do something" whereas in IRL they usually say something before leaving the table.
>People alt-tabbing into something else, not even paying attention at all, then when it comes back to their turn they go "Oh me? Ok so what happened and what did I miss?"

If I was in the comfort of my own home, I would have lol'd heartily. That's fucking hilarious.

>wingo

Gaming where you can see everybody is fun for the interaction you get between the players.

Gaming over text is fun because you can immerse yourself and generate a group novel that's actually fun to read later if you have good players.

Quality GM detected

WRITEFAG NECESSARY HERE

My group plays in Roll20 with voice chat in Discord. We have five party members, and two of them are not as comfortable roleplaying out loud and prefer to type into the Roll20 chat for in character interactions while having the Discord open for out of character stuff. It also allows for if the party is together but doing different things, like interacting with different NPCs, there can be two lines of conversation going without talking or typing over each other. It sounds like it would be confusing but it honestly works. It also mitigates the issue of people just disappearing if it were text only.

That sounds actually pretty comfy, user.
N-need another member?

Sorry friendo five is the limit for the GM, and its all people we know from MMOs and other games.

Text for IC voice for OOC is the one true future of tabletop gaming, honestly.

It's very rare to find someone who is actually more fluent, verbose, and clear in speech than they are in text. And let's be honest, most TTRPG players, especially online ones, are lucky if they rank as "average" in this regard.

>Do you Veeky Forums exclusively in person?
Yeah.
I have a group of friends I only interact with online though and i've thought about setting up p&p rp or board games, but never went for it.
We played mtg one night I suppose, but otherwise it's been vidya.

Haven't played board games in a while, but I miss playing them. and I yearn to play to more In real life for the social communal aspect. Even look back on a night where I played a board game where I only knew one person fondly and don't remember anyone elses name.

I think so too. Even though I am comfortable with IC interactions over voice, I tend to do the style of:

Patricia yells, "Our friend is hurt!" as she drags Jason into the doctor's house, and explains the situation.

A sentence or two of actual lines followed by third person narration. If I am going to do much more than that in character I want to type it out. I do this because I am a guy and can't do female voices and most of my characters are women, and even that aside I feel I can capture my character's metaphorical "voice" better regardless of gender.

I don't like voice for IC because I tend to stutter. I'd come off like

>Uh, Patricia yells...uh, "our friend is hurt," a-and, ah, while she drags Jason into the house - the doctor's house... oh, a-and explains the situation.

And that would just get annoying.

Hey, fair enough. That's the exact reason the combination of voice and text works so well. You can use either or both for whatever you're comfortable with.

I've done Veeky Forums pretty much exclusively online. It makes it easier to track down a group, and I'm a lot more comfortable getting into character over a microphone or a text box rather than in-person. It can make scheduling a bitch at times, but that's true for online and offline groups. My current deathwatch game's been doing well for going on 3 years now, I think.

>Gringo the Goblin
You shall be remembered user.

Attached: Gringo the goblin GOGOGOGOGOGOGO.png (1336x159, 22K)

Wish my GM was like you

I prefer the internet. Text based, since I'm micshy. I tried to practice a voice for a minotaur druid obsessed with big rocks and dogs, but I made the mistake of recording it and playing it back. Never again.
I hate being a voicelet.

Attached: 1517008591083.png (192x187, 86K)

holy shit my sides

The only characters I feel comfortable voicing are mustache-twirling villains, but I like playing classic hero archetypes.

This sounds like it would get really annoying really quickly.

I do both. I have two groups online and one irl group. It's just... different. I feel it's harder to get my players to roleplay when in person, but once I manage to it flows very nicely, and games are usually faster paced too. But it's much more draining as the GM because the instant answer time makes for much shorter time that I could spend thinking "what next".

Also I'd never ever do anything erotic or fetishy irl.

I run exclusively IRL, despite living in a shitty little eastern-europe town. Focusing on the developing events is hard when you're staring at a screen, compared to sitting at the table over a bunch of papers in person. Playing in front of a screen just isn't the same.

My online games fall apart slowly and I feel like I could play them better with real friends in real life.

I don't have any friends in real life :(

I tried playing IRL, but since I'm unironically a fucking mute, it gets hard. Do any of you turds know how fucking difficult it is to find a group with at least one person willing and capable to translate sign language? Bet you don't.
I exclusively play through roll20 now because of that.

Having played both sides, I tend to prefer IRL games as there is something more engaging about being face to face with your players.

That said on the otherside I've found that playing online does better for RP due to the fact that writing out your response gives you a bit more time to think it over. IT's kinda of a give and take deal for me.

Have you considered bringing a tablet and keyboard or a netbook or a laptop or whatever and typing?

I mean, it'd be a little awkward, but it's better than not doing it at all, right?

also, why are you mute? physical injury?

i'm fuckign stealing this shit my god

It'd just make everything harder for everyone else.
They'd either have to read my autism or hear it through some text to speech thing, but either way, I wouldn't be able to get things like emphasis through, so I'd be the same as playing online, just harder for everyone else

damage to nerve endings during throat surgery

>I wouldn't be able to get things like emphasis through
I mean, how do you do that online? Same thing applies. You can bold and italicize text.

I can't do that online properly, but neither can the others. No one is losing anything
IRL though, it's an innate disadvantage and one that I can't bridge without inconveniencing everyone else. And even then, it wouldn't be the same thing. I'm also not the type to stand out, so being the fucktard with the text to speech voice or the guy that makes everyone read his stuff would cause me physical pain
text to speech could work for something involving robots thought, I might look into it

>damage during surgery
Was it like, something that was bound to happen anyways? or was it due to incompetence?
because I would go to court in a heartbeat over losing my ability to talk thanks to someone fucking up

either way I'm sorry for you user, I can't even bear the thought of losing something so basic as being able to talk

I prefer playing in person, and in general would rather meet up in person.

I am much better at GMing, however, over the internet. For one thing I can do a lot more impressive stuff with maps and images, and for another, I have no social anxiety.

People like you are why I gave up on Roll20.

Attached: Have a Day.jpg (455x455, 42K)

I feel some of your pain, user. I have a legally blindfag in my irl rp group and he’s my best friend but playing anything with him is a huge pain in the ass.

But he’s my friend so I do it.

Teehee Maccaroni-tier GM detected

I will only play online with voice. Text leads to people not paying attention (also acting slowly because they feel the need to write a novel half the time).