Character naming

Specifically, female elven naming.

I can't figure out what to name my character for a friend's Pathfinder-based campaign. Shit's hard.

Halp?

Attached: maxresdefault-3.jpg (1920x1080, 161K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasynamegenerators.com/pathfinder-elf-names.php
angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html
springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/latinish-names.htm
arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/boynames.html
arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/girlnames.html
benedictcumberbatchgenerator.tumblr.com/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Etliseta

Something fucking pronounceable.

AKA not this shit.

Attached: ad1df11d12[1].jpg (437x379, 61K)

If the world doesn't have examples of elven language, you can search online for elven name generators.

Also, if it helps too, Fighter class.

I was looking at that page earlier. Yeah, that shit's real difficult to say.

... the heck is that one? The format looks the same as the WH40k Eldar generator I found, but the Eldar names were a lot more elvish-looking...

fantasynamegenerators.com/pathfinder-elf-names.php

angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html
>Angelfire is still a thing

Or just skip to some real world non-Western language; that's usually plenty adequate and there's loads of material.

Old Norse names?

Does Pathfinder not have the racial names tab for their races like 3.5 does? Either way, elven names must be flowy, so keep things like Ds, Ks, or hard Gs out of it unless they're at the start of the name. Past that I find a personal preference to have lots of soft vowels and an almost spanish convention of "Os=male As=female", like Iano for a guy and Iana for a lady.
Alternatively, just give them a damn name. If it doesn't sound "elven enough" for your players, stuff some character-building backstory into it.

Huh, I didn't notice they had a Pathfinder-specific one. What an inconsistent mess it is.

Springhole.net doesn't have a high-elf name generator, but their pseudo-Latin one has decent pronounceability (and it's easy to swap out the last syllable to make it look less Latin):
springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/latinish-names.htm

True that, but you might want to check the pronunciation before using it!

I'm fond of using Thai, personally. Sounds regal and has a nice polysyllable soup effect.

Slutleaf.

>haha user stop joking around
What's wrong with Slutleaf?
>it's completely terrible
Yes but why?
>here is the long list of things that make it not my fighter's name
Well now that you know what you don't want, it should be easier to articulate what you do want.

Lita
Palala
Eoin
Faeinn
Elorna
Dissida
Pern
Salhassan

>Slutleaf

Go with authentic elvish, and learn your shit on how it's properly pronounced.

arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/boynames.html

arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/girlnames.html

Holy shit that web design
also >LotR

>Tuka Luka Marceau
....how do you even begin to justify that? Just "Tuka" would be fine, as would "Luka" or "Marceau".I can even buy "Tuka Luka". But adding the Marceau in the end just breaks it.

Attached: 1454913208344.png (175x182, 17K)

fluttercunt
daisydoodle
schlopschlop
queefae

That is pretty screwy.

>Elves

Attached: 1395587227365.png (300x100, 27K)

>Keryth
>Kailu
>Agis
>Not pronounceable
I mean, sure, some of that is bullshit, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water

unappreciated genius

Give them unpronounceable names like , but have everyone refer to them by some kind of abbreviation.

Latin names for plants. For example, the common hazel is Corylus Avellana.

>Urddusk
>Zaos
>Keryth
>Kailu
>Intevar
>Agis
>Sinaht

Most of these are pretty easy. The surnames get harder though.

Is she a skinny and petite girl, somewhat Scottish-looking? A perfect name for her:
> Mackerelle
Oh, so she is a figher?
> Begalthe
This is the Celtic for Little Wrath

Wood Elf first name, High Elf surname. Family reunions are a trip.

Go the Irish route and have a fuckload of barely pronounced letters in the name. Like Caoilfhionn, roughly pronounced "Kee-Lin"

Gaelic names seem pretty Elf-like.

Take the Tolkein route and slightly corrupt a Finnish name

tolken made his elven languages through Finnish and welsh words. So find some funny sounding finnish words, like suomi, perkele.and kuusi9which can mean spruce, six, or moon). or just play summer car and find some words from there

Think of some words you like and change the letters around.

Dinner
Dinne
Dinae

FAIRY HEDGEHOG.

IT'S SHAKESPEAREAN.

Attached: 007.jpg (846x1200, 376K)

I think you mean "Slütlæf"

>Wood Elf first name, High Elf surname
That's bullshit but I choose to believe it.

Attached: 1454043562802.png (130x280, 32K)

Name her with some mishmash of vaguely finnish and welsh names

There are three basic rules you should try and follow for every character name, regardless of if they are an elf or whatever.

First, it needs to be short. No more than three syllables, generally, and if you can get it to one or two, that's even better.

Second, it needs to be easy to pronounce. If you have to repeat the name more than once to anyone at the table before they get how to say it, it is already a failure. The longer and more difficult to pronounce the name is, the less the other players will try to or be able to remember it, and the less they will say it, and the less the GM will say it, and the less you will bother saying it after a while, and soon, no one will remember it at all and you'll just be called "elf" for the rest of the game.

And lastly, you want some kind of flair on it to make it more memorable. Titles, like Baron, Sir, Lady, whatever, or addons, like The Red, or The Great, are good because they make the name stand out. Alternately, or in addition, you can use a nickname in addition to your real name, maybe replacing it entirely, so that you have a name, yes, but no one uses that in conversation. These should also be short and to the point, and should be easy to remember, but the idea is, adding a minor title or using a nickname can make you more memorable, and being memorable is important for a name. Like how "The Hound" is easier to remember than Sandor Clegane.

Attached: Gizzard Frizzard, Lizard Wizard.png (1280x917, 1.27M)

Just pick an animal or flower you like and take that (Sparrow, Juniper, Thistle...).
Say the proper Elven world is too long/hard to pronounce, so you non Elven compagnions should just use the Common version.

this is actually hilarious.

Attached: 1322034526506.jpg (250x250, 24K)

Baron Sir Lady is what an elf trying to pass itself off as human would call itself.

I haven’t quite decided, but redheaded slenderish elf sounds good.

I really need to work on my gaelige pronunciations.

Very. Although a little hard to pronounce. seems to have a point though.

This is the proof that putting a female elf in the OP is the worst thing you can do for your thread.

“Slütlæf” indeed.

got any pics of genderfluid elves

ok maybe not the very worst thing

now I want to see that in play. "Don't worry friends, I understand human culture completely!"
- proceeds to use slang and terms hundreds of years out of date for modern human culture.

take the name of a STD and change some letters until it rolls on the tongue well enough

Himmel Gasdew

I'll have you know that Albrecht Wenzel Eusebius is a perfectly valid name.

i just name my character with short common nouns.
pin. bee. fluff. snake. cat.

I think it might be helpful

benedictcumberbatchgenerator.tumblr.com/

None of those are hard to pronounce.

It looks like gibberish though.

Look in Xanarthar's Guide to Everything, alot of good names for all the races. Even human variant names.

Jane

Attached: Juci Anis.png (390x433, 199K)

Top kek.

Sperm receptacle #572.

Ha ha.

"Nig-nog-navi" lmao

NIGNOGS

Shieeeeet!

>Juci Anis

fantasynamegenerators.com

I use Welsh or Celtic names for my elves

Welsh if I feel like being really wierd and alien