How would you write a fairy antagonist?

How would you write a fairy antagonist?

Can fairies come in other flavors than nature incarnate? Necromancer fairy?

Pic somewhat related, its an evil fairy. My evil fairy probably won't be so sexy

Attached: anne.jpg (1476x1814, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/signature-8-2/
youtu.be/iV-g88OMzcU
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/56658357/#56690003
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/57322169/#57322549
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/57708594/#57711236
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/58021019/#58040125
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Make them gigantic. Your players will never see it coming.

Attached: IT0000191059_chp10_30.jpg (1280x1793, 298K)

well first off, I would write a sexy fairy. I'd make her sassy, boisterous, loud, arrogant, smol, and high-cut.

Now. If you want a fairy antagonist who isn't sexy I recommend you read this book. There's a good dozen villainous fae (and twice as many other fae that can be used as antagonists) in there that are super interesting

Attached: CVT_La-Grande-Encyclopedie-des-fees_3706.jpg (400x525, 75K)

>sexy fairy

actually had her more imagined as a hyper competent and meticulous, and most importantly, UNcharismatic type who had discovered a layer of understanding about magic deeper than what is considered 'natural'. can't decide if a god suddenly takes notice or feels threatened, if her existence is just anathema to a personification of nature, or if she just went batshit from finding the manual on how the world works.

i do love 'good job breaking it hero', so i'm leaning towards nature asking them to take care of her, and she gets pushed over the moral event horizon by the party trying to kill her. maybe the world was in no danger till some tree bitch told you to go bother the smurt fairy

Oberon used mental magic to make people fall in love with each other. If you played it up to a world wide scale that could cause serious problems. Maybe a Faerie devoted to chaos, making kings fall for the wives of neighbouring countries Helen of Troy style.

It could be that the Faerie can’t see what she’s doing wrong. She’s genuinely trying to make the world a better place through love, without realising she’s just creating an army of rapists.

let's see

Wyverns are technically fairies, so are basilisks and a bunch of other small dragons

then there's Melusine, who's basically a lamia, and a bunch of similar serpent-fairies from Spain

there's the Marses, which are nasty old crones that dance around dolmens and rape all the guys who spy on them

there are several wizard cats who hang around during sabbath and can curse your ass if you disturb them; think cats of Ulthar but nastier

there's the Banshee

there's the night-spinners, who will fuck you up and strangle you and beat you to death if you disturb them. Otherwise they can wash away your sins by making you go through a type of mortification ritual

there's Romanian fairies who bless children but will have snakes eat them if their mothers ask for too many blessings

there's black ladies and red ladies, which are your typical evil fairy queens
they eat people

there's the Nekker, who drown your ass

there's the G'raoch, who appears as a beautiful woman and then drowns you and eats you (actually she's a fat ogress that looks like a deep sea fish)

there's the Erlenkönig

there's the Stregha, who are vampiric fiends

there's Cailleac Bheur who's a celtic witch fairy of winter who kills stuff with hail and cold winds

and I think that's about it

I am pretty sure you can see them even sooner when they're big.

sounds like a load of bullshit cobbled together from TVTropes that heavily relies on railroading the party

Fae are inherently dicks

Stealth wouldn't matter nearly as much to a giant fairy.

Attached: IT0000191059_chp11_30.jpg (1280x1793, 299K)

I'm going to add this to my campaign list actually. Thanks user. Though, probably cut out the rape and play it up more as Saturday morning cartoon forced marriages.

Either a ridiculously strong grappler (imagine a dragonborn paladin in full plate getting tossed around by a smol butterfly lady) or a master of destructive evocation magic.

Like best fairy.

Attached: Puc.png (355x328, 65K)

how smug exactly?

Attached: smolceress .png (514x515, 254K)

I'd imagine the grappler to be arrogant as hell and would call you names as it flipped you around like a ragdoll. The caster fairy would probably just be laughing mad or shouting crazed proclamations in Slyvan.

Like Bravely Default- they are using their cutesy charm and inherent annoyingness to lull players into thinking she’s harmless and pointless before revealing she’s the true antagonist.

>I'd make her sassy, boisterous, loud, arrogant, smol, and high-cut.

You have more red-flags than a red army parade

I appreciate the bluntness. I truly do. However, I'm not trying to win a pulitzer. My friends are hoovian/harry potter/etc types so they eat this sort of stuff up. Gotta play to your audience

And you sound like a self-important douche with zero taste, what of it?

Have her be a master of magi-tech and pilot a mech.

those all seem like good traits to me!

Attached: 1503615264035.jpg (1280x1449, 379K)

a mech that happens to look like this?

Attached: 56430375_p0.jpg (764x1080, 632K)

We get the same damn Worm thread every other week, but apparently no one has ever read superior Pact.
pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/signature-8-2/
Read that. Maybe skim through the stuff at the protag's house, since that won't be very relevant to your interests, but everything else is some Grade-A evil faerie shenanigans.

leaf dress or leotard?

Attached: PixieSMT3.jpg (845x1024, 55K)

I'm a huge Final Fantasy-fag, so I usually imagined something more along the lines on these but you are giving me ideas.

Attached: magitek_armor.jpg (1000x1000, 347K)

absolutely leotard

Attached: fairy.png (1031x1309, 446K)

Combat wise. How do you make a battle with a fairy especially difficult? Moreso than it already is?

I feel like the massive repertoire of spells and negative armor class is already pretty rough. Gobs of health? Silence aura? Envenomed weapons? Giant helpers? Shadow clones? Usurp the power of nature? I've always enjoyed 4th wall shit, maybe she can alter her own numerical stats to suit her purpose?

On a related note, Fairies are not great with metal, what are the exact rules on that? is it just cold iron? processed metal? Can they touch a 'pure' metal like silver?

leaf leotard

Attached: 1480986787726.jpg (752x626, 193K)

from what I've read they just don't like iron

>Flying Fairy
>Fairy Flies

Attached: 3.jpg (869x1278, 327K)

are you one of those 'welcome to my magical world' types?

Attached: never EVER.png (527x747, 217K)

Fairies are small and fast usually, and have a large amount of magic, so they would actually be kinda terrifying to fight if they had like a tiny amount of hitpoints but a really high armor count that would make them impossible to hit, with them possibly using magic or whatever to block area of effect spells, but then how would you make them actually defeatable without making a puzzle boss

If they aren't the small agile fairies then making a combat encounter would be way more straightforward, like the celtic fae were human sized and had magic and magical artifacts, just a really powerful "human"

Shadiversity had an episode on fairy combat in his 'Fantasy Re-Armed' series: - youtu.be/iV-g88OMzcU

the OP's fairy, for example, is about the size of a finger and she uses a rapier to great effect when you fight her. I just imagined a needle like 'sword' that involves some enchanted poison or something

Attached: fairysize.png (1281x680, 1.36M)

I clicked on this thread for fairy cheesecake. Where is it?

Fairies aren't evil or good, they are weird and alien. And that potentially makes them good villain material.

Start by seeing fairies as more than just cumdumpsters.

Oberon is a good design on male fairies, he is imposing, elegant, and you can see him as an antagonist as much as a misunderstood villain that wants what's best for his people.

Attached: 34-fairy_oberon.jpg (720x480, 47K)

Another version of Oberon. This one could be a corrupt fairy mad for power or something I don't know.

Attached: 1181294-oberon3.jpg (552x806, 66K)

And Titania, Oberon's wife, doesn't look particularly nice either. Maybe divide fairies of the day = good and fairies of the night = bad or something

Fairies don't need to be autistic like Tinker Bell from Peter Pan.

Attached: 4e3d1a78b90ff7c08dea6bd8cd3faae4.jpg (602x755, 60K)

Super easy. Fairies see how humans are destroying nature and murdering each other so they use their charm magic to manipulate human nations into genocidal war.

>are you one of those 'welcome to my magical world' types?

Everyone is.

Without your own personal magical realm for motivation, people don't develop homebrew *anything*.

Everything is magical realm, user. Which means nothing is.

>Start by seeing fairies as more than just cumdumpsters.

That's impossible.

That's the most ass backward comment I have read here today.
Plenty of people put thing they like in they setting and not a hint of they magical realm, at least its what I try with mine.

I used to not see fairies as cumdumpsters, but Winx Club changed that pretty quick.

No not everything is about someone's magical realm. That term has a meaning, and it doesn't apply to everything or even most things.

The only sense in which it applies to everything is that it can be assumed that any given thing is a Magical Realm for someone, somewhere. But it's not the primary or even most common motivation for developing something. And I'd know, because I'm a fucking degenerate.

Attached: youloveit_ru_winx_club_batterflix.jpg (1500x988, 1.53M)

Have the fairy be a magical "advisor" to evil liches and warlocks and warlords, helping them achieve great power and destruction and then subtly fleeing when the tides inevitably turn against them. She does this because it amuses her and gives her stories to tell

Don't be silly! Fairies aren't antagonists or evil, they're helpful and wonderful and kind and totally innocent!
They just want to help you by reminding you of what you need to do, that's all. So why don't you go awaken the crystals instead of thinking about such silly things?

this is good plus, I am sure you could create tons of fun/bad problems with an angry Unseele Fey court.

Fuck it. now I want to run a campaign where the PCs are enlisted to work with one of the Fey courts in a war against another and really make the Fey a fucked up foe. Especially if both sides are so capricious as to be difficult to work with.

Lets start building a setting.

First lets clarify size. The typical 'fits in your hand' size fairy are messengers and lesser-ranked fey. Literally small-time.

Then anything with more power or standing is human sized.

God tier fey can be giants, or take the form of natural elements, or basically do what they want.

adding to this, Fey cant be killed. period. Even those little no name messenger fey are immortal, and doomed to work at the bottom of the ladder forever. It's why the fey can be so mischevious, its their only entertainment. Plus, trickery can lead them to besting their superiors and raise their rank in the courts.

which is why they enlist or enslave humans to do their dirty work. Its an unspoken of agreement among the fey to use mortal people since they are expendable, and are somewhat of a 'deniable asset'.

I've actually run a fairy antagonist before. Basically, their natural tendencies toward trickery led them to believe that they should kill the god of trickery and take their place. I ran it is a fairly powerful wizard who managed to gain power by controlling those in power, both assembling a small navy by tricking a powerful pirate into supporting him, and by using sheer magical ability to turn a mountain into a stone golem and giving it intelligence so it can assemble an army of orcs by threatening to stomp crush them if they don't listen. Due to the obvious weakness of fairies being so small, fairies would rely on accomplishing their goals through some poxy, but due to their immature nature, they may dick with the party just for fun because they feel powerful enough to not consider the party a real threat. They may pull dangerous or innocent pranks on the party to remind the party they are there and how dangerous they can be, such as anything from shaving their own name into a party member's hair during the night to leaving a message to watch out for bear traps and leaving magic circles around that summon bears when stepped on.

Attached: 28906584_1903600276346543_205901815_n.jpg (646x800, 49K)

Fairies are serial kidnappers with a weird as fuck realm a their disposal.

Now, imagine a fairy that read/watched shit like:
Battle Royale
Jurassic Park
Escape from New York

... and decided that only the fittest to survive are worth of their love

.... and that only the worhiest of the worthy can defeat another fairy.

Do some research into traditional fairy lore. Today, fairies are pretty heavily romanticized, but when you go back to the original stories, they're fucking terrifying. Guillermo del Toro bases a lot of his movies on fairy lore. Pan's Labyrinth and Don't be Afraid of the Dark are great examples. There's also a reason why Grimm's Fairy Tales had to be so heavily sanitized when Disney made them into kids movies.

Magic damage in most systems doesn't care how big you are. A 6" tall pixie can still huck a fireball. Except it's also fucking hard to hit in combat, can use the terrain for cover, and can be invisible. They're a right cunt.

Give them rogue levels instead and it doesn't matter if the tiny tiny wee knife does 1HP of damage... plus the 10D6 sneak attack / precision damage, etc.

Any sort of charm magic / pheromones / etc has also been done.

Winx Club was fairly terrible overall, but Icy was amazing.

Attached: latest.jpg (1024x768, 106K)

yo, i wanna fuck that bug

Attached: 1464403336040.png (500x500, 274K)

This

Attached: Bravely Default spoilers.jpg (320x320, 27K)

Or you can do it like Bravely Second, where the new fairy congratulates you on defeating her evil sister, only to find out that you defeating her evil sister only lead to her and her boss wreaking havoc on the world.

Attached: anne.png (854x480, 369K)

Of course I'm not lying. You can trust me! I'm very trustworthy. Fairies don't lie!

Attached: 1464404933717.png (500x500, 275K)

>Winx Club was fairly terrible overall

I appreciate the commitment to character designs that almost seem intended to give girls eating disorders.

Attached: 1978811.jpg (1200x1077, 100K)

pretty simple really. I'd make one that steals/kills kids. that's a villain, probably a mystery to solve, town adventure

YOU THOUGHT IT WAS A CUTE FAIRY, BUT IT WAS I, VILDERAVN!

Attached: 1519585726031[1].png (400x400, 44K)

>VILDERAVN
>A vilderavn is a malicious shapechanging spirit whose typical form is that of an oversized raven with a wingspan of 6 to 8 feet that stands 2 to 3 feet tall. Vilderavns sometimes roam in the shape of wolves or dire wolves, and are known to appear as monstrous raven-wolf hybrids akin to black-feathered perytons. They can also walk in humanoid guise when they wish, often assassinating victims of rank and assuming their victims’ places.

>They have an unusual affection for their swords, often granting them threatening names.

>Vilderavns are drawn to war and suffering, often haunting battlefields—especially during protracted sieges. They are particularly drawn toward rulers and commanders, and might insinuate themselves into the confidence of leaders with their clever tongues and deft rumor-mongering. They are deceivers and heralds of woe, seeking to lure the rulers of mortal kingdoms into jealous feuds and fruitless wars with one another. To do this, they often cultivate reputations as master duelists, brilliant mercenary leaders, or unjustly banished nobility from distant lands. Regardless of their guises, vilderavns’ advice usually seems wise and perceptive, steeped in an expansive knowledge of history, political rivalries, and cultural clashes, along with insights into the ways of war. Yet while their counsel might lead to early victories, their ultimate purpose is to bring doom to all sides. At the height of the battle, when victory seems nigh, a vilderavn often instigates a wave of betrayal, crippling erstwhile allies and bringing devastation.

>Only when a ruler’s kingdom or a commander’s army lies in ruins does a vilderavn administer the coup de grace.

>It is said that the first vilderavns were created by a vicious fey lord as a check and counter to the hubris of mortal rulers, especially those who put their trust in armies and steel to drive back the wild lands. The boasting and braggadocio of those mortals who believed they had achieved mastery over the followers of the old ways offended the fey lord, who sent vilderavns to infiltrate their ranks. The vilderavns watched from the shadows and learned the ways of mortals, the better to use their own weapons and strategies against them. In torment and blood, they peeled away the secrets of mortals, laying the last truths of their hearts bare before bestowing the gift of death on them. Even in death, however, a vilderavn’s victims languish, stretched across the threshold of the afterlife yet tethered to the fey spirit’s merciless heart. Their minds are open books for this fey to unravel and use in cruel and hurtful ways.

>Vilderavns sometimes amuse themselves by offering false oracular advice or tempting bargains to mortals, promising power in exchange for the blood of innocents.

>A vilderavn typically claims to be cursed into its animal form, insisting that only innocent blood will release it.

>If its mark is foolish enough to accept its bargain, the vilderavn often returns wearing the innocent’s flesh to torment its supposed ally and drive her to insanity. A vilderavn might even offer an irony-laced limited wish to sweeten its bargains and truly test a mortal’s resolve.

Diamond is Unbreakable is right in town.

Honestly I'd probably do >well first off, I would write a sexy fairy. I'd make her sassy, boisterous, loud, arrogant, smol, and high-cut.
Arrogant, sassy, tiny magical bitch
More petty than evil

You'd be surprised what a good stealth spell can do

>Shrinking magic
Another way to end up against a 'giant' fairy

Damn near impossible to hit and dickish, dickish spells, not highly lethal, but designed to piss the PCs off
Make them HATE her

Take something like a Tarrasque and give it the half-fey template.

>Take Tarrasque
>Apply half-fey template
>Refluff as giant fairygirl
>Have it behave exactly the same

Bump

Oh this is so going in my game.

only if you play T-Rex sounds from Jurassic Park when you fight her

>Can fairies come in other flavors than nature incarnate?
Jesus fuck

Out!

Isn't that just your average giant vore elves?
If so I approve

And/or this, this is good too

Google gave me Dungeon Quest, is that correct?

>all these evil fairies

why can't t here just be one helpful fairy who's not trying to kill you?

Attached: 1509943840770.jpg (805x993, 79K)

OP asked for antagonist faries

all fairies are the good guys user

Attached: minus8 face.png (1311x1501, 406K)

That is correct user.

Attached: IT0000191059_chp18_30.jpg (1280x1793, 277K)

She's out to distribute fairy food in secret to every human she considers a threat. The food will slowly and irreversibly change them into fairies, which the evil fairy reasons is the best way to make them stop destroying her home. Started out just focusing on the local ruler and his giant-ass logging operation, but she's gone a bit overboard and seeks to change everyone now.

I could imagine a fairy being a sorcerer's helper. Killing him by sabotaging one of his most ambitious experiments. Then she proceeds to use all the shit she learned over her time serving him to become hardcore.

But like that'd ever happen, look how cute fairies are!

Attached: 191995.png (918x620, 1.08M)

The party infiltrated a brothel by signing up as employees, then got mind controlled by a fey mousegirl into actually doing some work when they were weaseling their way out of it. The PCs were freshly-married virgins.

This was their uniform.

The fey mousegirl went on to become the main villain of the campaign.

Attached: e2d95ec44bf8828ed7a2d1e9429fd44c.jpg (960x1400, 564K)

I am highly skeptical that such a campaign really happened but I hope it did

Attached: 1521078778346.jpg (804x604, 121K)

I assure you, this had occurred.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/56658357/#56690003
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/57322169/#57322549
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/57708594/#57711236
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/58021019/#58040125

Attached: c6879531eb01b8cc9278d019d7ee74a8.png (928x1250, 524K)

>not posting best version which is also the answer to OP's question

Attached: Oberon.jpg (452x425, 45K)

Look up any folklore fairy lol.

The way fairies and fae in general think is mental, and most of them don't like humans to begin with.

A fairy would never fight head-on, she would make use of hit-and-run tactics, traps, deceit, allies, illusions... She would need to be outsmarted before being defeated in combat.
The combat itself would be pretty one-sided, especially if her opponents are armed with iron. But good luck getting there, a fairy is like a one-man tucker's kobolds.

>Necromancer fairy?
>Everyone thinks BBEG is a lich
>Turns out to be a fairy using a skeleton as a mech

Those are called spriggans, and they built the cairns and standing stones.

Go find books by Brian Froud. He knows his shit.

I'm surprised that nobody has really touched upon the "Maleficent" angle here.

I'd make the fairy a faux-ally to the protagonists and make them complete the same damn questline four times over.

Had a fairy queen as a minor antagonist. She ripped the souls from an entire town and put them in scarecrows. When the scarecrows shambled up to the party to beg for help, the party set them on fire. When one party member asked why she did it, she said it was funny. Then they shared a laugh and the fairy and that party member had a pseudo-romance.

>When the scarecrows shambled up to the party to beg for help, the party set them on fire
Fucking hell, that actually sounds terrifying

Attached: IT0000191059_chp12_30.jpg (1280x1792, 309K)

Fairies man, they don't fuck around.

I would be more worried about the fact that the party was so willing to set them on fire. Did no one object? They were just all like, "hey cool, let's burn these tormented souls"?

Attached: IT0000191059_chp13_30.jpg (1280x1792, 344K)

Typicall, dress like slut and them claim innocence.

They didn't know they were tortured souls. They thought they were being attacked by possessed scarecrows. Though 2/3 wouldn't have given a fuck even if they had known.

Oh I see now. Welp, that just makes it worse. I know I'm a pussy, but I'm probably going to have a nightmare about that scenario one of these days now.

Attached: IT0000191059_chp14_30.jpg (1280x1792, 330K)

That was far from the most horrifying thing in that campaign. Hell, far from the most horrifying thing in that leg of the campaign.