/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General: Mr. Bones Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
What is your preferred boss fight music, or villain fight music?

Attached: 1509694233341.png (888x800, 650K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B0A3IXSxVJM
youtube.com/watch?v=laK1QqwBQLc
youtube.com/watch?v=OmZg0mcsKug
youtube.com/watch?v=jFWEVkXJDVE
youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
youtu.be/ho9rZjlsyYY
youtu.be/SYHAA-gP6o4
youtube.com/watch?v=0UloDmbValA
youtube.com/watch?v=k5Figo-QTW0
youtube.com/watch?v=p8HdyK8HqBE
youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=KrghL3MO8zs&t=24m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=G_R7bJahcwc
youtube.com/watch?v=2gCgluVD0Aw
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyWsxz8QfW
youtube.com/watch?v=hgP6JnWh4Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tell me 5eg, how many javelins and hand axes do your martials carry?

Does anyone have a revamped Undying Warlock?
It sucks as it is, with features being situational or basically just fluff and the capstone a worse Second Wind.

Switching to a different weapon is a free action right?

Usually 3-5. If moving 75/90+ feet doesn't get you to cover or bring you into melee range, and three to five attacks doesn't drop the target, something is going horribly wrong.

BBEG don't take no shit, just wants to make money and gun down the opps

youtube.com/watch?v=B0A3IXSxVJM

>free action

I, for one, carry around diamond pickaxes for throwing purposes.

Six javelins, two handaxes. There's honestly not much purpose to handaxes given how different damage types aren't very important but a little variety never hurt and I find other uses for them (ex. wedging doors shut or open).

My SKT character wound up with something like 30 javelins, though.

Object interaction to draw a weapon and an object interaction to sheathe a weapon. Dropping a weapon is a free action.

I wanted my Dragonborn melee build character to use retractable javelins and carry a few on himself at all times without having gigantic poles sticking out of his ass but I'd have to ask my DM first.

>Villain music?
youtube.com/watch?v=laK1QqwBQLc
This is his entrance music and the players love it.

>Boss fight music in general?
>youtube.com/watch?v=OmZg0mcsKug
>youtube.com/watch?v=jFWEVkXJDVE
>youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

I'll get a chance to swap to more brutal and less orchestral once we move away from the city and I can make some monstrosity-type monsters like a mega-bulette or great rampaging ogre.

Trying to learn how to rogue. I know that sneak attack can be used on any attack roll where you get advantage. Mainly surprise attacks caused by stealth but also stunned, paralyzed, or prone targets. But what are some other times you get advantage? Read that it's DM's discretion on if you can flank for advantage. Do attacks of opportunity give you advantage? How often do you sneak attack in a fight from start to finish? Swashbucklers excluded.

Attached: everquest.jpg (640x480, 49K)

Worth a shot, personally I don't see any issue with it other than easier to sneak into a place where you're not supposed to have weapons. However that's such a niche situation more often than not that it shouldn't matter.

You can draw a weapon for free as part of your attack.
Object interaction rules have always been the worst part of D&D. The people most inconvenienced by them given their usual wielding requirements (martials) are the ones who most need to interact with things (drinking potions because they got hit, opening doors or wielding lanterns because they're in front, fucking with the enemy's shit, utilizing enchanted items because they lack spellcasting or other useful features themselves) while nice exceptions have been carved out for the people doing actually impressive shit (go ahead and take a hand off your 2h staff to use one of your 20 spellcasting pouches and gesture for six seconds while performing complex mathemagical bullshit, Wizard).

They are honestly not worth the hassle; it only slows down play and any "verisimilitude" it could add is instantly contradicted by all the actions a normal adventurer could perform but your rules-bound PC could not:
Your shield is strapped to your arm (because it takes an action to equip), but it also takes up your hand? There's no way the shield can hang from your forearm for a few seconds? You can't possibly conceive of a motion that would let you drink something held in the hand with a board strapped to your arm?
You can draw a two-handed sword from your back and slice someone lickety-split, or draw, (string?), load, and fire a (cross)bow in the same time, but drawing two knives from your vest/legs/hips at once requires special training?
Obviously it's impossible to hold two objects in your hand at once. Like, you could never spin a dagger down in your palm and hold on to it with two fingers while necking a bottle with the others, or pull open a door handle like that.
And no one has ever tucked an object under their arm to free a hand. It's impossible to hold things against your side or chest with your arm while still having the use of your hand / forearm.

Pic related might help.
Carry them on your shield.

Attached: 23561792_1682000578518373_8381617469124873271_n.jpg (540x960, 32K)

Sneak attack also happens if an ally is within 5ft of the enemy and isn't unconscious or non-hostile to the target.

>Carry them on your shield.
That's perfect. Thanks bud.

My guy is gigantic and wears heavy armor so he definitely won't be sneaking anywhere.

If your unseen by someone you gain advantage on the attack. This means that you've taken the hide action and are hidden from someone. DM's should not incorporate the optional advantage rule because it ruins everyone else who grants advantage.
Opportunity, nope no advantage there.
>tl dr THE BOOK

Attached: read_the.gif (448x442, 4.35M)

My main villain theme is:
youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

I have conditioned my players to fear this theme to the point that I can play it outside of the game, and they will tense up automatically. This is just his scene entrance music though. He has other music in combat depending on what's most appropriate.

ah so basically flanking except you don't have to be behind the target. nice. this is what I was looking for.

eh? I don't understand. Wanna break that post down for someone with 8 int?

>pillar men theme
I'm not sure whether to take you seriously or not. I could only imagine what your bbg looks like.

Obligatory Strahd theme:
youtu.be/ho9rZjlsyYY
Version to use as ambient music, like at Vistani camp and during the "help our prince" plot hook:
youtu.be/SYHAA-gP6o4

>8 Int
Aside from the other ways you've mentioned gaining sneak attack with there is a couple more.
>Taking the hide action, successfully remaining hidden from an enemy and then attacking them (with advantage and therefore sneak attack)

DM's should not use the flanking rules because there are classes dedicated to expending a resource to gain advantage.

Opportunity attacks by themselves do not give advantage. To get advantage here you need another condition, such as 'prone' or 'restrained' or samurai's focus thingo.

4. My Paladin got a satchel with 4 magical Javelins, which suffers no penalties from long range, and respawn if they are lost/destroyed every dawn. They are pretty nice in the encounters where I cannot get into melee.

Nope. Takes 2 object interactions. You can sheathe a weapon, and draw another on your next turn.

youtube.com/watch?v=0UloDmbValA
youtube.com/watch?v=k5Figo-QTW0
youtube.com/watch?v=p8HdyK8HqBE

got it now. thanks.

Attached: frank_frazetta_sacrifice1.jpg (641x800, 72K)

A buff brown man that is using a magical parasitical tattoo to try and harness the power of several demigods so that he may combine them into one true god and save the world.

Can I ready a move and attack action?

Say I am standing near a corner, next to a 3 space corridor. Can I prepare an action to move and attack as soon as I see an enemy pass the corner? We are already in initiative order, combat has begun, but I am trying to set up an advantageous ambush midfight.

My GM usually says we can ready a specific action, but RAW, can I not move as long as I haven't spent my full movement?

Did you happen to take inspiration from a book trilogy for the tattoo idea and pooling power idea?

Sounds like he did nothing wrong

RAW I'm pretty sure that you can't move during your reaction attack but some GM's may allow it.

RAW you can only ready an action, either move it or loose it.

Fellow Brent Weeks lover?

He is instigating a world war using ancient WMDs to harvest enough death and suffering to combine the demigods within himself so that the new god can be reborn. So, yeah. He is doing nothing wrong.

Is this real?

Attached: elfslavewatdo.jpg (1359x1237, 520K)

did you look it up or just stare at the image and post it here?

>DM's should not use the flanking rules because there are classes dedicated to expending a resource to gain advantage.
Wait, this is a thing? People who do not play with flanking?

Yes but you don't have to use it. I've already told all of my players, fuck no.

yes, as far as I know it isn't some SJW powerplay though. Just the fact that the guy that can do stuff like this has a huge transformation fetish,

No. A few Drow get to be sequential hermaphrodites. That's all.

The flanking rules are very poor. Might as well give the martials advantage all the time.

95% of people don't play with flanking.
It invalidates entire abilities of classes such as the barbarians reckless rage and mastermind rogue.

Also Viridiana best girl

Attached: 1518034872813.jpg (960x631, 53K)

The Captain General?

Attached: All_three_Fab_Custodians.png (639x645, 594K)

But getting in a flanking position against anything remotely intelligent is not easy and it works both ways. I've never had any problems with it personally.

a blessing of corellon will allow elves to copy the shtick of switching between being male and female, sounded as part of a racial feat to me.

Introduce? That shit's been grandfathered in. Like, before I was fucking born grandfathered into D&D.

Objectively true.
I borrowed heavily from both the night angel trilogy, as well as the Lightbringer series. The main villain is trying to get the seven demigods, which are much like the Banes from that series. He believes that with all of them, he can create a true omnipotent god that will save the world from it's impending doom.

The "introduce" part isn't.
Also, who gives a shit.

>walking to the other side of something
>not easy
And enemies being able to use it is half of the problem, combats turn into conga lines of people maneuvering for advantage

It encourages "conga-line" play where its just a line of flankers. You also don't provoke opportunity attacks from moving within an opponents space so you just go around to the other side of them on your turn and get a sneak attack. Its a lazy way of granting advantage and its optional for a good reason.

>What is your preferred boss fight music, or villain fight music?
throneroom battle
youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q
magic user battle
youtube.com/watch?v=KrghL3MO8zs&t=24m30s
villagers fighting monster horde
youtube.com/watch?v=G_R7bJahcwc
alternatively
youtube.com/watch?v=2gCgluVD0Aw

Female dwarves bearded or no?

Attached: image.png (768x1024, 1.9M)

What do you think of this item?
>Gauntlets/Bracelets of Artifice (Added to the Wondrous Invention table for Artificer as a 5th level option)
>Requires attunement by a 5th level Artificer or a spellcaster capable of casting the spell Fabricate
>When you have these Gauntlets/Bracelets attuned, you can cast the spell Fabricate as a ritual INTMod times per Long Rest, (Minimum of 1). You can use this ability after ritual casting the maximum number of times, however gain one level of Exhaustion for each time you do so. (You can still cast the spell using a spell slot as normal.)

I think it's a load of shit Artificers don't get Fabricate until they're level fucking 19.

Also if someone wants to reword it so it doesn't sound so awkward that'd be peachy.

>elves have some relation to fey
>fey are fucked up and weird beyond all believe and don't give a shit about gender to begin with probably
>elves are also basically frogs, responding to their environment to some absurd degree
>stick elves in a forest and they become wood elves
>stick em on top of a tower and they become high elves
>stick em in a cave and they become dark elves
>put em on a volcano and they become lava elves
>lay one down on the ground and they become floor elves
>people think it's strange elves could change whether they have a dick or not when they alter their DNA in even more absurd ways all the time

Depends, are you gay? If you are then bearded, if not then no beard.

>3 inches of blood
Fucking love those guys. I need to buy one of their albums these days.

I need to read he Lightbringer series, also need to finish the Wheel of Time series. Either way sounds fun and I'd play that.

>But getting in a flanking position against anything remotely intelligent is not easy
How?
>it works both ways
Yes, it makes gaining an advantage stupidly easy for both sides.

Nah

Attached: dualhammerdwarf.jpg (736x651, 60K)

READY, not REACTION.

That is so fucking stupid. Initiative has never made sense in the sense it is used in DnD, but this actively punishes people for being faster in some circumstances. It should never be a benefit to be slower.

how would you improve pact of the chain and pact of the tome?

Attached: 1492533446945.jpg (665x574, 49K)

That is fucking retarded. No. Don't use that.

Make it AT BEST 1 use per day, and have it require expending spell slots with a level equal to 5 to power.

>How would you improve pact of the tome?
Are you joking? You think Blade is fine, but Tome needs improvement?

How are you getting to this conclusion? We have no way to provide any kind of reasonable response without getting that answered first.

I've never played in a group that uses more than like two melee martials, so maybe it differs on players, but having to dedicate that much to get a flank on a single enemy has never been easy in my own games. Usually I have enemies holding fortifications, funnels or they hold formations and I never ever put a single enemy in a way that allows you to gang-rape him easily, hell I don't even ever put big bads alone in general because that's beyond stupid in any tabletop game I've played.

I'm going to play a brute with a three level dip into barbarian using two weapon fighting. What primal path do you think would be the most fun

Attached: 1492871735162.jpg (960x631, 54K)

They're both fine. If anything the only thing that needs changed is making Pact of the Blade get Hexblade's "Hex Warrior" bit tacked on and letting you conjure it as a Bonus Action.

Make it something like-
Pact of the Blade
You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
You can use your bonus action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. When you attack with this weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter. You can't affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.

Yes this makes Bladelock a lot stronger but at least you need to do a 3 level dip to get it as a Paladin instead of the current Hexblade 1/Paladin, and Hexblade currently gets it at level 1 anyways so obviously it isn't a big deal (t. mearls).

Fuck, I hope it isn't real. I don't want SJW bullshit in the game.

then just don't include it in your game lmao

There is a pdf on BigBad Solo encounters which is pretty damn cool. I recommend it.
>homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyWsxz8QfW

>stupid fag shit isn't a problem
>just homerule it out!

I mean isn't there something in the PHB about people being a bunch of made-up genders already? And who the fuck uses those?

it's been in the PHB since first printings, and yet only now people are getting autistic over it
plus you don't have to play in forgotten realms, to which it applies

the right-wing version of D&D is just the klan
>titles like "exalted cyclops", "ghoul", "nighthawk", and a "grand council of centaurs"
pretending you're an elf in a bathrobe who casts disguise self to impersonate the lady galatea to wring secrets from duke persimmon has always been a liberal endeavor, faggot
go whine about women having the vote or a lack of colored water fountains somewhere else, cletus

Can a multiclass fighter/sorcerer take Dueling style and use one hand to hold a Crystal as arcane focus?

>it's been in the PHB since first printings, and yet only now people are getting autistic over it

You haven't been paying attention. Unless you mean the first printings of the first D&D, in which case we didn't have the Internet for people to enscribe their autism upon.

well I haven't really been giving two shits about tabletop rpgs back then

>pact of chain

Your familiar gets bonus damage rolls equal to your proficiency bonus, temporary hit points equal to your warlock level, and can attack on its turn as an action.

>tome
Are you retarded?

Sure.

Yes. You can also just use a Quarterstaff as your weapon and it's a weapon.

Slap on CHA Shillelagh and you've got a nasty weapon- CHA swinging Longsword-damage weapon that you can wield a shield with and cast spells from.

Thanks. If you have a longsword + shield, what kind of action is needed to cast a spell? Is it like a free action to put the shield away and hold the crystal all in same turn?

And 1 turn to go back to shield and charge in again?

Corellon being androgynous/dual-gendered/whatever you want to call it goes back to first edition. Honestly, I'm suprised it took WotC this long to say that some elves are given the "ultimate blessing" from their primary deity to be able to be more like them.

Hell, 1e had the legendary Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity. An item which served no other purpose than to change the sex of whoever wore it.

Changelings being able to take whatever form they want has been in since the Eberron setting was published for 3e.

This still isn't anything new, the internet just happens to like treating every development in geek culture like it's new because that's how you make money; clickbait.

RAW, stowing requires an action.

you need to drop either unless you have war caster

Really you should just ask your DM if you can slap a crystal on the hilt of your sword, or if you can have that one Common item they came out with that lets you use a weapon as a focus.

You can cast spells by doing
>Drop sword (No action)
>Cast spell
>Pick up sword (Object interaction)

This ends up being silly enough that most DMs have no problems just letting you use the sword to cast.

You'd think that as "progressives" they would know to distinguish between sex and gender.

Can you pick Studded Leather as starting equipment from Fighter or only Leather?

If you roll gold and buy equipment, yes.

Yes it is real
youtube.com/watch?v=hgP6JnWh4Ig
And its a petty welcome addition. I think having all of the cultures in the game being gender-conformist to western standards to a large degree is kind of boring. Having them having different understandings of what men and women are supposed to wear, how they are supposed to act, or even having additional genders like some human cultures always have, would make things much more interesting. We have had some slight variations in the past like the Drow matriarchy, but we can go much much deeper than that since Gender is a really malleable social construct that has seen many iterations throughout the dfferent ages and cultures. Having it stick to the very narrow modern western conventions is needlessly limiting.

Attached: 1436219137868.jpg (1200x830, 203K)

see and Just fucking do it. Focus / Component limitations aren't restrictive to full casters, and gishes are shittier, so there's no point in kicking them in the balls while they're already down.

>that's a woman

Are there any good sailing and ship combat modules? I need some tips on how to make this work in my campaign.

Attached: battle-of-trafalgar-48x24.jpg (600x297, 32K)

Reminder that gender-bender elves are less SJW more magical realm.

The only human cultures with more than 2 genders never developed written language or metalworking.

How would you create/explain a human character that has ancestry with a Storm Giant?
Trying to make a Storm Herald Barb .

But they are not gender-bender, they are transsexual. They change sex, not gender.

>pick leather, longbow, and arrows instead of chainmail
>sell leather armor for 5gp
>pick two martial weapons (both heavy crossbows) instead of one + a shield
>sell both crossbows for 75g combined
>spend 45g to buy studded leather
>have 35g left to buy your weapon (longsword: 15g) and shield (10g)
>might as well sell your longbow for 25g and have 35g to spend on sick javelins

Your mum got GIANT'D

>implying I don't already hate elves
youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0