General DM Advice thread

I have a player problem. Gun-loving, bodypillow hugging right-wing nerd refuses to engage in any fantasy elements of my game. He has a hatred for fantasy that seems unreasonable, but he still shows up every week.

setting is contemporary fantasy, so he occasionally snipes a terrorist or interacts with soldiers, but other than that he sits there like a brick wall.

Attached: 1520970859158.jpg (1000x1000, 79K)

If he's unable or unwilling to approach a core game element, kick him from the group.

Talk to him like an adult and tell him what you don't like and why. If he doesn't change his behavior, kick him out.

Tell him to play the game like everyone else or stop coming. TTRPGs are generally team-based, so if he's not going to be an active member of the team he shouldn't be there.

Have a serious conversation with him, in private, and figure out what the specific problem is. If it's fixable, fix it up and continue, if not, he's out. This stubborn 'this isn't happening to me because I said it isn't happening to me' bullshit gets real, real annoying after a while, the worst thing you can do is let him continue on playing without figuring this out and fixing it up.

Tell him that if he's not going to put any effort into making a character that fits in this world, than he should stop coming.

Get him out but ask him what the fuck is he doinh there anyways also how do the other players feel about the situation?

He sounds like a better dude than you are and more relevant to this board. If you don't take your CCW to game night you aren't real Veeky Forums.

Let him know that his complete refusal to interact in any way with any fantasy anything will -definitely- doom the party to certain death at some point, and that it is vital that you and he work this out before that happens, because you aren't going to allow 1 player to callously kill everyone by refusing to acknowledge something as happening.

How many of those elements are political? You clearly have a bias, and it probably expresses itself in your game. He might just be too polite to say that your grasp of real-world issues is bullshit and keeps out of that part of the story.

>I don't like your politics, GTFO

We should start doing this to the /leftypol/ faggots who think this board is safe for them tbqh

Give us an example so we can have a better understanding. THE HIVEMIND COMMANDS!

>leftists
>having a firm grasp on anything other than the black/brown dick in their ass

LOL KEK IS PRAISED!

Attached: Bait-Kai.jpg (626x622, 36K)

Also, even if you aren't a libtard, gaming with a right-winger in a modern setting is kind of a recipe for disaster. If anyone has any sort of radical political views, try to put your game in a setting where those don't matter anymore. God forbid you have a right-winger and a libtard in the same group.

holy fuck how Veeky Forums has fallen

Wow, triggering you is super easy. Maybe tumblr is more your speed.

>heavily implying anything rightward is radical

Communist detected.

It's sad.
>58519533
>Implying /pol/ isn't just right wing tumblr
Now then, stop discussing /pol/shit and get back to the OP

Attached: download_2.jpg (205x246, 13K)

Nice little smear tactic there homoberg.

Remind me which ideology sent millions to their deaths in gulags and killed over 100 thousand times more people than the holocaust?

Is it A, Communism, B, Communism, C, Communism, or D, /pol/?

Btfo, thanks for playing.

Im running a session tomorrow for a mix of veteran players and people who have never played d&d before. my idea for the adventure is treasure hunting through dwarven ruins in snowy mountains. Any tips for dealing with players who have a wide mix of experience?

I mean, /pol/ is powerless and pathetic so it's not really surprising they can't achieve anything but annoying people.

fuck off kike

When we fought our first dragon, we caught it sleeping. Our 2 dedicated casters made a plan involving dual-casting invisibility and fireball, our brawny goliath muzzled the guard drakes with the helo of the rogue, and he literally said to me "I dont know what to do." when he had previously been happy slaying kobolds like he was playing duck hunt. I even gave him a nice sniping position and made sure he was listening when i mentioned the chandelier above the sleeping dragon. What more can i so to help him? everyone else is engaged and excited.

So you're okay with thousands of millions of ordinary people being sent to their deaths for fabricated or nonexistent reasons as long as your ideology gets to be the one to do it?

Wow, so humane and tolerant.

As long as they're good players and you have a decent adventure, experience shouldn't matter. Do watch out for "alpha player syndrome" on the part of the more experienced players. Don't frontload them with all the rules. Tell them the pure basic amount and then slowly introduce scenarios that involve new rules. Also, if the experienced players are experienced enough, encourage them to help out the new players by answering their rules questions.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like your political bias is playing into this. Boot him.

I'm not op, but, I'm against booting him. What if at some point OP runs a game that nerdy person would be excited about, and then nerdy person doesn't play because they got booted that time?

I'll keep that in mind. I'm starting of at first level in 5e so things are already pretty simple. Taking it slow seems like a sensible approach and it definitely helps that we're all friends outside of the game

Keep it simple, but have some mix ups here and there.
Do not be afraid of cliches, most of them have never been experienced by many players more than once.
D&D has some specific connotations to it, do not be afraid to introduce a handful of them.
ake sure all players know that they are not limited to what the book says they can do.

they should have tried being an engaging player in the first place? obviously OP needs to talk to him about it first, but if someone is making the game not enjoyable for other people in the group (DM Included) then they need to change their behavior or go

Holy shit this thread is full of bad advice.
user, here's what you do. You talk with him in private about how you feel like he isn't enjoying playing the game. He might be enjoying playing a regular sniper in your fantasy setting. Is there anything wrong with that? If he isn't enjoying himself, ask him about what he doesn't enjoy. Just listen, and ask questions to expand on and clarify what he's saying. Maybe even just repeat back a few words he says in a curious tone. Your input is just there to get him to keep talking. Once you get to a point where you actually understand what he feels about the game, then you can talk about where to go from there.
But don't, for the love of God, don't give him an ultimatum.

That's part of why I chose the setting. The dwarven ruins and the monsters within are a bit of traditional D&D, but it gives me enough room to introduce some things the players might not expect. I'm definitely going to encourage creativity from them, I'd rather they have a good first time than get bogged down in a rule book

i have learned my lesson. Never again will i dare mention political views on Veeky Forums again. You retards cant even keep an advice thread on track, it must be nightmarish to actually play ttrpg with you.

Attached: dayisruined.jpg (1280x720, 269K)

holy fuck how someone on an anonymous image board said something i disagree with

fuck off you dirty leftist namefag, you brought up the politics intentionally to bait people. get back in the oven

All I'm hearing is whining.

Fuck off, Fed.

thanks for serious advice user, I never realized that Veeky Forums was filled with so many social inepts. Although in hindsight, im not sure why i thought otherwise.

Did you ever pretend to be so autistic you couldn't even tell that it's the derailing and shitting on a perfectly fine thread, and not what you're saying, that bugs people? Some people did.

Do you really think any of these Redditors have ever been in the same room as a ttrpg rulebook, let alone played one?

>I'll intentionally insult the player I'm having a problem with for his political opinions in my post
>oh? people are calling me out on it
>they don't like me because I'm a leftist and helping gang rape the shit out of western civilization?
>how could this have happened!?
leftists are fucking delusional

You do know that I was only trolling you, right Genrich Jagoda? I was imagining you would read 'lol kek is praised' in a retard-voice to yourself.

i never insulted him. Do you honestly think that I could seriously use nerd as an insult when i am namefagging on Veeky Forums?

i know you were just making a joke, but you are still derailing this thread.

>still namefagging

Imagine someone else started a thread with this OP:
>I have a player problem. Gun-hating, bodypillow hugging left-wing soyboy refuses to engage in any fantasy elements of my game.

Would you expect the thread to go well? Probably not. Opening with a political statement masked as a joke is asking for your thread to be derailed.

To be fair I also gave you some serious advice several times, you'll see it here;

>killed over 100 thousand times more people than the holocaust
OK, i hate the commies as much as the next guy, but even if you take the holocaust denier numbers, something like 6000, times 100,000 gives us 600million. Come the fuck on, user, that's retarded, USSR didnt even have this many people.

>namefag makes a shitty thread and puts derail bait in the OP for attention
go back to read it you dumb nigger, the name field was a huge fucking mistake

I have experience with these people.

The asshole gun sperg in my group once responded to my description of a kid whipping out an assault rifle by trying to convince everyone that those weren't civilian legal. I swear every member of the NRA is going to hell for what they do to these innocent retards.

I wasn't speaking only of USSR, I was including all persons of all ages and ethnicities who were killed by or for communist movements at any point in time or place. This figure includes all soldiers who died in battle or accident, all workers who died while under communist command, etc.

What do you expect? Veeky Forums was never a liberal board no matter what neogaf told you faggots.

Go be a liberal faggot somewhere else.

>Win an election
>BTFO the media so hard they have to convince themselves you're all Russian bots
>Get called helpless and pathetic by impotent libtards

Attached: 1518581385622.jpg (930x698, 272K)

As the GM, how much of the rules am I expected to know offhand? I know I need to know enough to run encounters and make skill check judgement calls, but if a player tries for some very specific thing, is it bad for me to pause the game to reference the rulebook?

Dubs confirm

Being a regular right-winger is radical now but chemically castrating children isn't?

Gee, I woooooonder who's behind these threads and gets all surprised when this isn't a liberal hivemind?

Attached: 1518160162983.png (490x802, 119K)

No one expects you to know the entire book off by heart, so checking the rules is not the issue, it's the time taken to look it up that can cause problems. In my experience, no one really minds as long as you take

Attached: serveimage.jpg (640x640, 36K)

Nothing wrong with supporting the second amendment libshit.
But that dude sounds like he’s having problems with the game, have you tried talking to him like an adult?

Maybe he doesn't know what he can do outside the obvious rails you set him on for the encounter because you're a bad DM? I'd be disengaged too and probably fantasizing about gassing the lot of you liberal fucks.

If he doesn't want to play a fantasy game, kick him out of your fantasy game.

He sounds like he belongs here more than you. Have you considered not being a shit GM?

>Anyone who makes the game less fun for me should be booted

Want to guess how I know you're a college student?

Try not being a passive aggressive faggot on your way back to r*ddit.

Does he understand that he can attack objects?
He may have the mindset of it being a video game and the rules being much more restrictive.

you're spending your free time to play a game. if someone is making that not enjoyable for you AND they refuse to change why should you continue to spend time with them? If you're the DM and presumably hosting the game, why should you continue to allow them in your group?

>Gun-loving, bodypillow hugging right-wing nerd
Unless this is part of your problem with him then why mention it in your post at all you shitter?

>Leftist historical revisionism

"Gun nut right winger week" used the way you did is clearly an insult. Don't hide behind semantics like a fag.

They are illegal though you stupid fuck.

>Like an adult

Dude, he's a liberal namefag. C'mon.

While is right, you still should have a really good idea of how stuff works.
You don't gotta memorize all of it, but at least have an idea of how stuff should work, just to make those occasions faster and easier to understand/explain.

Because I don't throw a bitch fit when someone isn't my ideal teammate? Because I enjoy the rest of the game without trying to ruin their fun like an angry old cat lady? Because I'm an adult?

>GM advice thread
>OP sabotages it by being retarded
Nice job

Attached: 595D77A8-3CC1-4DF8-8111-5068E84E908E.jpg (598x564, 120K)

It never happened. This sensitive faggot is just here trying to push a leftist agenda, /leftypol/ has been on fucking overdrive since the Florida shooting hoping to "raise class consciousness" and sow division here.

I've only ever kicked one player out of my group he was dragging the game down for both me and the other players
>sat on his tablet when it wasn't his turn
>had to be reminded of what happened on everyone elses turns
>would try and fudge his dice rolls
>I had to correct him on his modifiers and remind him to roll in the open
>tried to claim he rolled a 27 when he only had a +5 modifier
>would try and lie about his hit points so he wouldn't go down in combat
>would consistently meta game
>we ran curse of strahd
>he seemed to know an awful lot about things from the module book
>find out he owns a copy and had been reading through it when we were playing the module
I confronted him on all of this and his shit behavior continued, why should I have kept inviting him to my house when it felt like I was baby sitting him?

Attached: 1350989724538.jpg (168x168, 6K)

That’s an exception that most people generally don’t have to deal with. I’m not going to kick my decade long friend because he texts while we play

YOU did no wrong.

Where is the line between letting the players do what they want/keeping the mystique and moving the game along? When the players start investigating stuff that has no bearing on anything and exists solely for aesthetic purposes, is it inappropriate to say "Guys, it's just a statue, move on already" when they're spending half an hour trying to figure out it's mysteries? Right now I let them do basically whatever they want and I do try to work stuff in as much as possible, but I fear I let them get away with too much (with the exception of obviously impossible/dumb things like "smashing the door down stealthily), such as constantly letting them split up, even though it grinds progress to a screeching halt, so I'm curious what you all think is the proper time to say "no" is.

Improvise. If the players take special interest in something mundane, it is up to you to make that mundane object important somehow. For example, you could incorporate the statue into where you are trying to lead your players.

Telling them there is nothing special with the statue and to move on is one way of getting your game back on track, but it's a kinda lame way of doing it imo.