What if magic worked like wifi?

What if magic worked like wifi?

Attached: Girl-in-coffee-shop-on-wifi.jpg (3361x2241, 1.76M)

Isn't that what leylines are if you grossly simplify it?

....In what sense? Like whats that mean?

That's literally how it works in many settings. Some places are much easier to harness magic power than others, just like getting a strong or weak WiFi signal

Any self respecting mage would use mobile data

Hey guys, do you know of any good mana plans?

This seems like an appropriate thread, can someone explain to me the point or rationale behind going to a public place and sitting on the computer like in OP's pic?

Attached: 1520116579676.jpg (250x201, 25K)

You want to do stuff on your computer, but you also want to be out of the house, possibly at a place that provides food and drink. With a laptop, you can go anywhere.

I don't know how to explain this to you.

Old people would be the worst at using it instead of the best.

You don't have wifi at home

Then you'd have to ask for the password when visiting another mages tower because there is shitty mobile reception where they live,

You can invite friends over and have the servers bring coffee and snacks.

Not everyone is looking at disgusting shit and often only have facebook, instagram, youtube or some study notes on.

The atmosphere is chill if it isnt too crowded and free wifi.

Extroverts feel no hesitation to go outside and do the exact same thing outside rather than inside theor apartment/house, infact most feel compelled to be outside rather then being stuck inside their room all day.

But Wi-Fi connections can get overcrowded and slow down everyone.

It's what leylines are if you don't grossly simplify it.

>wifi
Am I only the one who unironically believes that sending signals through the air is bad and that even non ionizing radiation is going to turn out to be harmful? Mark my words, Johnny Mnemonic is the future

Attached: dogVJnX[1].jpg (699x540, 74K)

I think that's the point. Your connection to the Magic Network can slow down when a bunch of mages are trying to access it in the same area at the same time. To perform really powerful magic, you'd have to have the right spot with a strong signal, with few (preferably zero) other people around you. Maybe powerful wizards make towers that are literally antennas and a private Magic network.

You've got a 1-2 hour break between classes, which isn't really time enough to go home and do anything useful.

So is there also a Magic Provider, who is piping magic to all the Hotspots in a region? Are they dealing with other Providers from other regions, or forming non-compete deals to maintain monopolies?

>get a wired magic connection
>blast out maximized fireballs 12 times a round
dumb wireless magic casters

Attached: smug.gif (1111x597, 1.42M)

That's how it works for me a lot at uni. I've got a 3 hour break between classes (One ends at 2, one starts at 5) but it takes me a full hour to get public transport home. I'm not going to spend 2/3 of the time involved either on the buss home or back to uni. I can spend the same money on buying a pack of snacks, a drink and just sitting about for a few hours.

Sure. You can prpbably make a cyberpunk/magitech inspired campaign based on this premise. Magic Service Providers are only providing High Speed Magic to the wealthiest mages, while the lowly masses are throttled into oblivion. Lead the #MagicNeutrality revolution.

I mean there are plenty of other ignorant people who believe equally stupid things. Lots of people thought rotten meat just generated maggots for a while.

Makes me think of the Lanfeust of Troy setting. Every human has their own Individual Power that only works when a Sage is within a certain distance.

So exactly which patts of the electromagnetic spectrum are bad?

Are you going to be damaged if i send a message in morse code with my flashlight?

Well, its more the phenomenon that there are people who are ultra sensitive to things, like say an eletric kettle. Its been documented that some people when exposed to radiation they become sensitive, my english isn't so good but I'm trying to find the example for it. Essentially the woman in question would feel very unwell when she wasn't out in the countryside in a particular american town that had a large aerial dish which made signals impossible to recieve.

There are also stories about people complaining that a newly installed mobile tower made them sleep badly and their pets sick.
Without it actually being powered.
Nocebo is a thing, user

>Lead the #MagicNeutrality revolution.

To be fair, healers need faster magic.

Sounds like something the cleric bourgeoisie would say

So one could spoof another another casters signal, listen in on their traffic, make man in the middle attacks (make them only able to caste a certain spell), or set up signal jammers...

Sure but you can't leave your 2 by 2 tomb.

Buy coffee, drink it, buy more coffee

user, telecom signals are negligible compared to normal background radiation. Stop being a luddite.

Dolphins have pretty good lives on earth, why would they want to follow our dumb ideas?

Sooooooooo Technomancers in shadowrun?

>some places have shitty magic that keeps dropping out
>some magic devices are poorly made and cause interference with each other, or with magic itself
How horrifying.

>If your neighbour doesn't secure his magic properly, you can use his for free
>Cafes and various shops will offer free magic to entice you into their premises

It's not all bad

t. vortex queen
The truth is out there!

Attached: ygotas___tinfoil_hats_by_r_ninja-d34qgk3[1].jpg (491x350, 36K)

Attached: nani3.jpg (1280x1829, 391K)

>gotta pay The Man outside those areas, and he charges by the thaum
>poor kids can only use ad-supported spells
>packs of wastrel offspring of nobles constantly casting Message

But the Cult of Goog-el promises cheap unmetered magic for all. And it's so tempting.

>magic is discovered
>turns out it takes a shitload of effort to get the ambient magical energies to do anything using the methods you might expect
>someone winds up making something that shoves enough power into the immediate area to 'heat up' the ossified magic
>the first one's the size of a cow, but a few years down the line most urban areas are strewn with miniaturized versions
>pretty much every damn device can access the 'activated' magic
>there's a small market for fags who want it in the shape of a wand or a staff or some shit, but most people stick with their phones
>there's a brief debate over "magic control" before everyone realizes they can just ward the hell out of themselves and their stuff

Attached: Magics.jpg (2100x1572, 592K)

Twist: Goog-el is a jealous god, rewriting spellbooks so that they feed every scrap of your mind and soul to him. His smiling priests extol his virtues on every street corner, but they wind their way inevitably into the heart of power and paint it in his garish sacred colours.

Attached: Internet.jpg (1080x1200, 1.69M)

>gotta pay The Man outside those areas, and he charges by the thaum

Also, at least there's no longer a monthly thaum limit, where once you've hit your limit you can't have any more.

Also, the government is constantly trying to introduce laws preventing you from casting Divination on women's changing rooms.

You're thinking of divine casters.

Using data sounds more like making pacts with spiritual beings.

You have a pool of power you can use anywhere. Empty that pool and they'll keep giving you more, but at a massive markup. Plus, getting that pool in the first place requires signing a binding contract with a faceless entity that might not have your best interests in mind.

Warlocks use data.
Wizards use wi-fi.