/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

Paladins back again
>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
Tell me about your party 5eg, any that you particularly like/dislike? Anyone interesting in the party?

Attached: 1518058652896.jpg (1000x623, 725K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hgP6JnWh4Ig
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Half Elf
>16 Dex
>16 Con
>20 Cha by L4

GG enjoy mate

>any that you particularly like/dislike?
I hate our "illusionist" who has yet to cast a single illusion spell. I wouldn't mind if he didn't go around introducing himself as an "illusionist extraordinaire."

What are the best paladin spells?

He might just be such an amazing illusionist that you didn't notice any.

>get a super lucky spread
>better waste it on just playing the same old thing instead of stuff that's usually avoided for being suboptimal
Come on man.

Shield of faith, Protection from evil and good

ive only ever seen it says that you can cast 2 if one of those spells is a bonus action.

does anyone have a page in a book that states that you can cast 2 spells if one is a cantrip and not specifically a spell with a bonus action?

Page 202 PHB.

That's how wizarding is when you can pick ALL THE SPELLS regardless of class.

All wizards usually end up having very similar spellbooks because when you can pick everything without penalty, why wouldn't you pick fireball as a transmutation expert?

It's subtle.

For pissing off your DM? Zone of Truth.

>So you can cast an action spell and a bonus action cantrip
Wrong, you can cast a bonus action spell and an action cantrip. The second you cast a non-cantrip spell that uses your Action, you can't cast another spell unless you Action Surge.

My brother starts casting banish every time a female NPC shows up. I guess I overdid the succubi thing or something.

BONUS ACTION
Aspell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. Vou
must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell,
provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action
this turno Vou can't cast another spell during the same
turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of I action.

so if im readig this correctly, you can only cast 2 spells if one is a bonus action, and the second spell (of one action) must be a cantrip if the bonus action spell was not. yes?

Find Steed and Find Greater Steed. Having an intelligent mount whenever you need it is underrated as all hell.

>if the bonus action spell was not
Erase this part and you've got it. Even if the bonus action spell was a cantrip, you can still only use your action to cast a cantrip.

Smites are garbage.

What do you do when you're stuck in a DnD game that isn't very fun because the majority of people playing aren't having fun and it just sucks the joy out of your day that you have to play, but you've got 2 friends who really want you to play, including the DM who says the game will go to shit if you leave?

You're garbage

>Tell me about your party 5eg, any that you particularly like/dislike? Anyone interesting in the party?

>Tiefling Paladin who absolutely refuses to open doors normally and hasn't met a bad idea he doesn't like.
>Guy who was playing a High Elf Wizard and changed to a Wood Elf Warlock, I'd like him more if he had taken proficiency in Arcana
>DM's girlfriend (Mistress?) joined last time playing a Human Rogue. Easily the most competent person there.
>Human Cleric who is new to playing but is very, very serious. Took her forty five minutes to pick out her dice.
>Dwarven Barbarian who is a little annoyed because the Wizard keeps trying to play her character too. She's new too.
>Me, a High Elf Ranger I put together mostly to know the most languages possible. Poor impulse control.

We have fun.

Take the reigns and teach the DM how to DM properly.

>ToA campaign, just joined for first session last week, in the middle of it.
>Half Elf Lore Bard/GOO-lock
My character. Loosely inspired by "The Music of Erich Zann" by Lovecraft; a heir to a noble family who has discovered that the reason for his families ascension and provenance has something to do with an ancient, half remembered, and highly forbidden score. So he's run off in search of it.
>Gnome Bear Totem Barbarian
Only mildly crazy. Don't have a strong read on it yet. An ex girlfriends character.

>Human Nature Cleric
Vaguely Southern Belle character, who apparently has a bit of a penchant for eating eyes. Incredibly prim and proper, but quite happy to compliment the barbarian on her eyes.

>Dragonborn sorceror
Don't have a strong read on the character yet.

>Gnome rogue
DM apparently thinks that sneak attack means he gets advantage on his attacks. I face palm at that a little bit. Impulsive, fiddly, and incredibly easy to distract - the character kind of feels like he's on more or less a constant sugar rush. So far seems like he's managed to both cause and solve a lot of the problems the party has faced.

There's a paladin I've not played with yet, and I think another rogue I'm replacing. I believe the Paladins gone (for now?), and cleric is leaving in three sessions. DM wants to stick to four or so people.

Wonder how that happened.

Sounds like you need to get the group together and talk about it. If everyone's fun is based around you being there, but the DM isn't holding anyone's interest, it might be time to change DMs/campaigns.

And what's to stop you from casting a cantrip as a bonus action, and then casting an action spell?

The rules. If you cast a spell or a cantrip as a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip as an action.

I don't play spell casters very often, but where are you getting this from? I'm not familiar with any page that says if you cast an action spell you CAN NOT cast a bonus action cantrip; you still have your bonus action available to you.

No game is better than a bad game is something that should be written on the cover of every PHB.

im building a dungeon and need a little assistance as its my first time. it takes place on a flying island

i plan on building it in 'layers' of a sort. the 'top layer' will be outside, where i intend to put a ghost town (literally filled with ghosts replaying the last day oftheir lives). the second level will be the inside of an abandoned temple, the third will be full of some sort of swarming creature that will roam the halls insearch of food (i intend to make them sometihng very hard for my party to kill in full numbers, but they will stop fighting to eat their own dead.). the third level will have some sort of giant beast that eats said swarmers if they come too low (i was thinking a Behir but purple worm is tempting as well), and the final level will be the final boss.

what i need is
1. a good giant monster (like an ogre or something) that can live outside that would be afraid of the swarmers in layer 2
2. a good rabid swarrming monster that can threaten a level 12 party in high numbers
3. a large creature that can scare said swarmers that can not only threaten a level 12 party, but is strong enough that they will WANT to not attract its attention
4. interesting trap rooms.

any help would be appreciated.

Hm. I'm apparently wrong on this. Re-reading spell sections.

Nothing, as long as that action spell is also a cantrip. See the poorly formatted copypaste of rules here You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. It doesn't matter if the bonus action spell was a cantrip or not, once you cast that bonus action spell you can only cast a cantrip with your action.

I already DMing a game for that DM.
A lot of the problem with the game is that the DM is very emotional and swings constantly between DEPRESSED or HAHA I'M THE BEST when dealing with people.

They've turned DMing into an emotional support for themselves so any failure as a DM is internalized as THEM being a failure, but they also project any failure as a Player as that PERSON being a failure. I don't know HOW to teach them that the most important thing as a DM is everyone having fun, not just you as the GM or not just the players. That everything doesn't have to stick 100% to a module. Their personality is just too bipolar cause they're either super depressed or they're being smug and confrontational to everyone.

You can cast a spell as an action then use your bonus action to cast another one.

>Action: Lightning Bolt
>Quicken Spell Bonus Action: Lightning Lure

Attached: Bonus Action Spells.png (490x140, 69K)

quicken spell is sorc only though, correct?

Yeah

>You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
PHB 202. If you cast a spell using your bonus action, you can't cast a spell using your action unless that spell is a cantrip. This applies even if you cast a spell using your action first. If you cast a spell using your action that is not a cantrip, you can no longer cast a bonus action spell because then you would be breaking this rule.

Whats the most MAD build you can think of?

Barbarian?

MAD?

You... I...
Nigger read your own fucking image. IF YOU CAST A SPELL USING A BONUS ACTION, YOU CAN'T CAST ANOTHER SPELL BEFORE OR AFTER IT ON THE SAME TURN EXCEPT FOR A CANTRIP WITH A CASTING TIME OF ONE ACTION.

Unarmed Paladin-Monk, delivering justice with open palm (and +2 to hit)

Multiple Attribute Dependant/Dependency.

There's no upper limit to MAD (well there is, it's just really pointless to figure it out), just keep on multiclassing everything.

Switch the two then.

If you've already cast a 1st level or higher spell as your action you can't cast any bonus action spell.

Oh, okay.

What's that mean?

I need as many racial slurs and general banter as you can get for everything you can think of: Humans, dwarves, elves, half-elves, tieflings, drows, lizardmen,

Bonus Action: Lightning Bolt
Action: Lightning Lure

Ah, I'm just saying whats to stop you from messing up the order of that. Bonus action spells require you to not have cast a bonus action spell that turn, and after casting them, you can only cast an action spell if its a cantrip. But what if you cast an action spell, and THEN cast the bonus action cantrip? You fulfill the requirements of 'you have not cast a bonus action spell yet this turn', but you've already done something that bypasses the 'effect' of the casting (you cannot cast an action spell).

needs 2 stats to be as effective as a 1 stat class. Barb(MAD) vs fighter(SAD)

Oh okay, thanks!

A class that needs high values for many stats to perform its intended role at full potential. Generally, these classes have a mix of casting and martial abilities (except for Monk, but Ki isn't that far off). Stereotypical examples are non-Hexblade Bladelock, Paladin and Monk.
The opposite end are SAD classes, classes that only really need one or two stats to be competent at their niche. Thief Rogues and Moon Druids fall into this category.

This answers my own question.

It means you're crazy, cookoo in the coconut

'before or after'. That image clarifies the original rulebooks statement. Before or after stops that.

That boy needs therapy.

That one's fine, because you're casting a spell with your bonus action and a cantrip with your action. You can't do the opposite.

Exactly! That's why you used your bonus action to cast a spell then your action to cast a cantrip.

It's still really weird that they have it set up like that.

>Stoner elf moon druid
>forest gnome wild sorcerer who's basically "Fuck it, let's see what happens"
>salty sea dog ranger
>whoremongering dwarf barbarian
>Elf shadow monk who's powers come from a book he stole and can't read all of just yet
>Dragonborn Arcane Trickster who is convinced that dragons are running everything behind the scenes

>want to play a ranger
>choosing any race other than wood elf is basically peak stupidity

How about an 18/14/16/13/14/16 Human (normal) Paladin, guys?

Should I take any specific subclass for that?

>not playing variant human or stout halfling
Who plays elves? Elves are all kinds of faggotry.

I think it's peak stupidity to play a race you don't want to play, but if you're only interested in the numbers, any elf would be serviceable. So would an Aarokocra, Goblin, Halfling, Human, Half Elf, Kenku, Kobold, or Tabaxi,

>Aarokocra
There's literally no reason to play anything else.

>Lex, paladin ooat with a golden elk mount and a tendency to be accidentally forgotten by his friends but doesn't mind
>Reggie, a tiefling bard that looks like colonel Sanders and sounds like foghorn leghorn. He's a conman with a heart of gold
>Aleila, elf assassin that is borderline alcoholic and is often the only sane man
>Ping Toyota, elf wizard that looks like the emperor from Mulan. Suspects everything is a trap or an enemy and is captain of their flying ship.
>Kahless Kurn, half orc warrior that is a mix between klingons and the Muslims from the mummy. Is wowed by cities and gets the party in trouble sometimes but rarely is it intentional

So the guys on Critical Role have a house rule that would function like this?

>If you want to cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 bonus action, remember that you can't cast any other spells before or after it on the same turn, except for a spell of 2nd level or lower with a casting time of 1 action.

So with a house rule like this, you could throw out a scorching ray then misty step or Dispel Magic then Healing Word. You still could not throw out a Lightning Bolt then Lightning Lure though as its third level into cantrip.

I've no fucking idea. They might just allow spells to be cast as long as you have the available actions to do so, and entirely ignore that rule.

Dispel Magic is 3rd level. The Scorching Ray one does work though.

>run into bears on a almost month long journey
>our half orc barbarian solos two of them
He had an attack where he can roll a d20 and then some d6. He was able to kill 2 with that, and he was only level 4. The first attack he did 42 damage.

Attached: 1477354167133.jpg (374x454, 41K)

That's how it should work.

Attached: DQogc6aV4AAp-ZN.jpg (1200x482, 106K)

What is he a barbarian/rogue?

Attached: 1519063049559.jpg (528x309, 117K)

What is the best Cleric subclass that uses Medium armor only?

is this telling me that a group of 6 lvl 1s can handle a CR3 in a deadly encounter, or that they can handle a lvl 3, 2 lvl 1s 3 halfs and so on?

Attached: Donjon.png (1580x183, 19K)

I don't remember. I just know he did it while he was in a rage, so that probably helped his damage. He's not a rogue tho. I think he picked the class from the new expansion book Xanathar's Guide to Everything

They can handle a CR3 or two CR1s or three CR1/2s, etc.

But since it's deadly, at least one of them is likely to die.

Main campaign run by gf
>AT/BM whip wielding human "English" noble cowgirl lesbian combat asshole (me)
>wizard elfgirl who is obsessed with experimentation with the school of Transmutation
>life cleric/land druid half-orc female with a super awkward lesbo crush on my character
>vengeance paladin canadian male firbolg who's crazy nice but turns into a lunatic when dragons get involved
>gloom stalker slav kobold male who has an awkward best-friendship with the firbolg over their joined hatred of a specific dragon
>swords bard goliath male who is out to create an in-setting version of the Poetic Edda, except he thinks it's just about himself

Main campaign run by me
>cavalier/beastmaster reach dwarf who is obsessed with pampering his reach raptor and brewing kvist (a hallucinogenic type of alcohol) (gf)
>Source warlock elderly gnome male who keeps stumbling into heroics despite his only interest being building a fucking, goddamn library
>evocation wizard female hobgoblin who is "only" following to make sure her brother doesn't get assassinated
>devotion paladin male hobgoblin who was exiled from the goblinoid empire for daring to suggest reforms
>forge domain silver dragonborn who is trying to track down the matron-dragon of the clan
>swashbuckler/hexblade human female who just now realized that when she dies, her soul will replace the soul currently trapped in her rapier

Boy, that feat's worded poorly. You can already cast multiple spells per turn, the cantrip restriction is only for bonus action spellcasting so it should probably say what this user said and add in "or 1 reaction" as there are spells of 2nd level or lower that use your reaction.

Attached: This Guy.jpg (511x511, 42K)

Yeah Im counting on one of them to contract Lycanthropy

He doesn't get d20's from any of that.

>two elves

So when will they be switched genders user?

What’s the deal with elves being “gender fluid” or transgenders now? All I’m getting is shitposts when I ask. It can’t possibly be as cancerous as Veeky Forums trolls make it out to be

>pic unrelated
Orcs don’t have a problem with this gay shit

Attached: 6675D440-465F-4E4C-93F1-5E3EB30F1146.jpg (600x948, 144K)

Storm Herald Barbarian's Sea Storm Aura could be it. "When this effect is activated, you can choose one other creature you can see in your aura. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw. The target takes 1d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one." Path of the Zealot has Divine Fury, which could also do the trick. "While you’re raging, the first creature you hit on each of your turns with a weapon attack takes extra damage equal to 1d6 + half your barbarian level." Both of those only give a single d6, though, so unless he critted I don't see how 42 damage is possible.

Wait why is Veeky Forums working when a bunch of other boards are frozen
Guess I'll sit here and talk about how bards are the best class

I think /a/, /b/, /v/, and Veeky Forums are all on the same server or something.

The elf creator god can shift between both sexes, or be both or neither.

Some elves can become like him, with their body changing at their whim.

IMG it's because Corelleon's an archfey, and his warlocks tend to pick up Master of the Myriad Forms.

New player here. What are the stereotypical characters girls play in terms of personality/race/class so that I can avoid them ?

Basically there was a bit about how Drow that can change genders are seen as an abomination since they are matriarchal, and the extra, very secure /pol/fags flooded the past three or so threads with how the evil libral marxists are going to take their guns away, mforce them to play transgender characters and make them kneel during the anthem.

None of them actually read the article. I doubt most of them are capable of reading.

Can a Great Old One beat a god in a fight?

It's a bit of a silly question I know but if Tiamat can be beaten by a party of humans however GOOs are "u cant even combrehend it :DDD u lodse :DD" it seems to me like they should win.

There's something I really wanna say : Whose idea was it to make Goblins/Orcs/Hobgoblins/Bugbears shift towards asian aesthetic? Because FUCK I LOVE IT

>read the article
Which article?

I would say it's possible.

>three women
>We have fun
Why would someone do that, go on the internet and tell lies?

It all comes from here youtube.com/watch?v=hgP6JnWh4Ig . The elven god has been like that since the early editions, so elves who start reaching ascension become like him and are able to switch sex at will. Drow hate it because it undermines their gendered society.

Great Old Ones tend to not manifest directly/physically a lot. In a lot of narratives (not necessarily DnD), they tend to be hamstrung by the whole "this is just a tiny bit of themselves intruding on the plane". I would have to double check lore, but aren't a number of the elder evils that are listed as potential GOO patrons things that took multiple gods to stop/chain up in the first place?

Depends on the god and the great old one.

Some great old ones are gods after all.

clearly the illusion is that he's an illusionist

He's a level 4 barabarian path of the zealot. He used a reckless attack critical, so double dice, he's hald orc, so brutal critical (one extra damage dice). He did great weapon master, so -5 to attack but a +10 to damage. He also had maxed out strength which is a +5, and he was using a maul, which is 2d6. Path of the zealot grants the player an extra 1d6 plus half the barbarian level on the first attack of oyour turn. Altogether (2d6+1d6)*2+1d6 for dice and 5+2+2+10 for strength, half barbarian level, rage, and great weapon master.

Depends on the girl. I think there's just generally too few girls in the hobby to make any solid stereotypes, though.

Still doesn't give him d20's. It just gives him a lot of +'s to whatever he rolls. The fact he is described as rolling d20's in this makes me think people are misunderstanding how modifiers are applied.