/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Evolution of a legend, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-03-10 - Still getting worked on & now has 32336 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-28!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Attached: 5e22c51424d6004dbfbb6c665ecd2a7cc0089557.jpg (1024x354, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SOJQbsbpQzo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No. That UrbanMech on the right is WRONG.

Attached: Oompa Loompa Doopity Dall, How Dare You Refuse My Batchall.jpg (512x520, 52K)

It's a meme-Urbie. See: Deputy Dog.

what's wrong with it? I like the design. Not as trash can and dome headed, but it's neat to look at it.

Attached: mLwBY9N.jpg (1424x880, 373K)

Who did the art on the right?

Alright so I'm learning the rules and I want to make sure I've got this correct. In the weapon attack phase, you
>declare all attacks on a mech by mech basis following initiative
>resolve attacks on a mech by mech basis following initiative order. Each attack by each weapon must be fully resolved (hit location, damage inflicted) before moving on to the next weapon
>only apply the effects of damage inflicted after all attacks are resolved
Is this how it works? So youre supposed to keep track of the damage you've taken and also keep track of the fact that the damage hasn't been applied yet? Seems very confusing. You have to do the same thing with heat it seems with the effects of heat not applying until the heat phase?

flyingdebris/Alex Iglesias

just play megamek, it does all that shit for you.

It's not hard. Roll crits at the end and you two paperclips to track heat.

Urbies are adorbs. I want to do an AtB campaign with nothing but Urbies someday. I wonder if I could mange it. Will MekHQ compensate for my lousy BV on every mission?
>imagining 2/3 pilots in tweaked out Urbies
It's a good feel.

Attached: 1352354007727.jpg (2048x1605, 266K)

Do you resolve a weapon entirely before moving on to the next one or do you roll to hit with all weapons on a mech and then resolve hit location and damage afterward?

per weapon fired (all declared at the same time per 'Mech)
>roll to hit
>roll location if applicable
>roll crits if applicable
>apply weapon heat
>move to next weapon
You must still fire weapons declared even if the target is destroyed, and apply heat for said weapons being fired. All fire is considered to have happened simultaneously, so even destroyed units get to shoot before being rendered inoperable.

Afaik, AtB campaigns only care about your mech weightclass or overall lance tonnage category.

Well that'd be fine too; the bot is garbage in an even (or relatively even) matchup, even by tonnage, so a company of Urbies should be good till I run into the Clans, at least.

Thanks, user. You can be my co-cockpit waifu anytime.

It doesn't match tonnage for tonnage, just weight classes. Sometimes it requests a single mech for a mission, in which case it generates a mech in the same weight category. Othertimes it just counts what you have in your lance and generates a similar weight category matchup.

I believe the tonnages are as follows.
290 = assault lance generated

So a lance of 4 urbies will always fight against light mechs / vehicles, and you'll almost never face heavier forces.

If you get rid of the lance size limitations, you can encounter something other lights by simply adjusting the number of urbies. 6 urbies would give you a medium lance as opposition. 9 urbie lance would give you a heavy lance as opposition. All 12 would let you fight assaults.

6 of one, etc. I could see certain units being a pain (Mongoose, Hermes) but most times the AC/10s are a threat other Lights can't cope with. Though I reckon plowing through droves of bugmechs would get tiresome after a while. I'll look into the lance limitation thing.

That's why the Urbie IIC exists, to Urbie even in Clan Space.

Urbies are universal.

>not Urbiversal

ya dun goofed, sonny

>not using IS tech to tweak the glorious OG Urbie to maximum yiffkill status
IT SHALL BE DONE

Beep Boop

Attached: Urbanmechiic.jpg.png (955x969, 205K)

>Street Sweaper
>Sweaper

So what they say about Tubers is true...

Linguistic drift.

NEGLET THIS

No I meant retardation.

So when performing a DFA attack it says you're considered to be adjecent to the target for all intents and purposes. So what I don't understand is why don't you just move them adjacent to the target? It's good enough for charging, why isn't it good enough for death from above?

Also in regards to charging, does anyone know why a charge is canceled if the target falls down? Can you not charge a prone mech?

Attached: dfa.jpg (834x657, 193K)

As far as the charge thing is concerned, yeah, pretty much. Imagine trying to tackle someone when you're running at full tilt and they go prone. I guess you could sort of dive into them but that's pretty dangerous.

Gas the Clans, Caps, Dracs, Lyrans, Teddies, and Peripherats, Space War now!

Literally nothing wrong with the Draconis Combine

We're even best allies with the purple birds.

Attached: 1376846423246.png (390x500, 308K)

>Teddies
>assume you meant Feddies

Add the Burds, Comstar, and the Wobbies to that and you've got a deal.

The whole Battletech universe would be better off if it were only single-system world dominions and pirates and mercs. No multi-stellar states at all.

Y'all ain't done shit for the Burds

We gave you Dragons :)

Attached: 1442363792272.jpg (184x181, 20K)

is this drac serious

Attached: purple birb.jpg (800x574, 132K)

Thanks for all the Chargers!

Thanks for all the toilet paper, fags.

Attached: sun-tzu shamefur dispray.png (400x329, 294K)

Be allies pls

Attached: Panther.jpg (515x712, 86K)

Attached: takashi's legacy.jpg (1000x1000, 334K)

DELETE THIS

Attached: outta my way, davion fucking shits.jpg (910x1098, 136K)

>mfw I seen 11 Panthers led by 1 Dragon

Attached: 1456957654036.jpg (712x687, 82K)

I prefer Warhammers or Marauders for panther leaders

post your ideal Kurita mech company

Attached: Kurita mechwarriors off duty.webm (720x720, 621K)

Command Lance
>destroyed
>destroyed
>destroyed
>destroyed

Battle Lance
>destroyed
>destroyed
>destroyed
>destroyed

Pursuit Lance
>destroyed
>destroyed
>destroyed
>destroyed

Attached: Phoenix Hawk.jpg (686x816, 88K)

do clannies get a natural bonus in Mekhq? I'm on a contract against regular/D clannies and I'm seeing LOTS of 3/2 clan mechwarriors despite that being considered elite for IS mechwarriors.

3/4 is clanner standard right out of the sibko. 2/3 is clanner vet.

here's a not that cheese but still reasonably fight-y 3025 company
First Lance
>Panther
>Panther
>Panther
>Warhammer-K

Second Lance
>Dragon
>Dragon
>Ostsol
>Wolverine-K
Third Lance
>Awesome
>Panther
>Shadow Hawk-2K
>Panther

>Ostsol
A fine choice. In the Bt game I played last night there was an Ostsol/Ostroc pair that performed very nicely for themselves. They both were ultimately destroyed but they did pretty damn well in the face of overwhelming firepower.

it really is one of the most underrated mechs in the game

>underrated

Good rule of thumb in Battletech: pick about half your Mechs based on aethsetics. Specifically, pick the ones which are ugliest. They will be the core of your force because there is a direct correlation between how awesome the stats are vs how shitty the Mech looks.

>that filename

I thought barely any Draconis women entered the military, and fewer still became mechwarriors because of bushido or sexism or something.

Are you telling me japanese waifus in giant robots are a common thing?

Attached: This Pleases the Krogan.png (612x596, 622K)

...AND the Spirit Cats!

>glorious gifts of the bountiful dragon

>Are you telling me japanese waifus in giant robots are a common thing?

No. If you want hot asian chicks in giant robots, you have to go Capellan or FedSuns (Robinson March). Generally speaking, Dracs don't let women pilot Mechs, so if there a female Drac mech pilot nearby, she's almost certain to be a gigantic Mary Sue.

Attached: House Liao Royal Guard.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

>women

>I thought barely any Draconis women entered the military, and fewer still became mechwarriors because of bushido or sexism or something.
Enough apparently that like a third of their battalion commanders are female

I swear to god I wish this game would make up its mind. I KNOW I've seen it contradict both of these positions at this point.

Attached: attacks.jpg (379x79, 25K)

Does it mean that you're not even supposed to determine hit locations and damage before all attacks have been rolled or does it just mean you dont apply damage until then? Fucking hell.

>No. If you want hot asian chicks in giant robots, you have to go Capellan or FedSuns (Robinson March). Generally speaking, Dracs don't let women pilot Mechs, so if there IS a female Drac mech pilot nearby, she's almost certain to be a gigantic Mary Sue.

>yfw the female Kuritan liason officer in the mint condition Grand Dragon turns out to be a green rich girl in a pity mech, and not an ace and you start losing veteran pilots to elemental ambushes

You were SO FUCKING LUCKY drak forced labor and clanner slave labor make for sloppy as hell shop floor conditions, Rose.

All weapons are declared at the same time and resolved at the same time. This is for several reasons. First is that somebody shooting can't suddenly cut their barrage short if they get a lucky hit in the first weapon hit and save on ammo and heat or swap their wasted firepower to another target that round. Second is so people who have a machine that dies can't use that knowledge to adjust their declared weapons fire to fucking everything and alpha strike since they know they die that round anyhow.

Also, heat isn't applied until the end of the turn after Physical Phase.

Basically, everyone decides who they want to shoot and with what. THEN after that's declared you roll hits and damage. Then you engage in robot karate, then you apply heat.

JAGUARS FOREVER!

youtube.com/watch?v=SOJQbsbpQzo

Attached: 1487309744582.jpg (1519x2400, 1.62M)

damn u inner sphere :/

I get that declarations and resolutions are separate, and that damage is applied after everyone has already shot.

What really confuses me is whether "roll to hit" and "roll for damage" are like separate stages or not. The book states in the beginning that you're supposed to roll to hit then roll for damage with a weapon before moving to the next weapon. But then the rest of the book acts like you're not supposed to do that and you're supposed to roll to hit with all weapons before rolling to damage with any of them. As seen here THEN I find this little tidbit that acts like rolling to hit with all weapons before rolling damage is just an optional time saver thing and I just get more confused.

Attached: segmented.jpg (414x261, 56K)

What kind of puny offworlders are they sending us?!

Attached: Smoke Jaguar Khan.jpg (480x480, 35K)

Unf.

Then you've got rules like this one that don't even make sense unless you roll all hits before rolling damage.

Attached: resolutionorder.jpg (374x68, 16K)

Ok, generally the way my group does it is that we declare fire by mech (and if we're doing it really right, you actually are supposed to declare fire in initiative activation order, if you can remember it). Once all fire is declared, we go from mech to mech doing shots. We generally do to-hit rolls first for all firing weapons then once we know what hits we determine locations. This happens for every mech a player controls and then the next player goes. This happens until everyone is done at which point we check for PSRs as necessary and resolve any results thereof (falls, etc). We then do the same thing but for physicals. Once everything is done, heat is tracked, and the turn ends.

It's really pretty easy once you do it a few times, you get the hang of it.

The beauty of it is that it isn't even cheesecake, for the setting.

Hell, if anything those are modesty-bras.

>supposed to roll to hit then roll for damage with a weapon before moving to the next weapon.

The way it's usually done is by mech, not whole player force or individual weapon. Roll all the weapons on a mech, then roll cluster and location once you know what hits.

The optional rule you posted just says instead of waiting for every player separately to make rolls like normal for everyone to roll at the same time and write down their results to speed things up, then just say hit locations and make crit rolls. Taking turns is more exciting though. I love watching the dice clatter.

Saying out loud "Firing my LL and two ML's. Need 8's on the LL and 10's on the ML's, 8 hit on the nose, 5 miss, 11 hit. So that's 8 damage to the LL, and 5 to the CT." Then the guy he hits says. "Roll possible crit on CT." because the armor was breached there.

Versus the book time shortcut of everybody rolling simultaneously and writing down hits and locations then informing the others quickly about the results, then making crit rolls and stuff. Most people don't do this unless they got a big force because it's less fun, doesn't save a ton of time, and you gotta totally trust the other guy.

This just says you can fire your weapons in the order you want every turn. You might want your scatter guns to hit first later in the game versus your big hole punchers hitting first early in the game.

>The way it's usually done is by mech, not whole player force or individual weapon. Roll all the weapons on a mech, then roll cluster and location once you know what hits

Thank you, that conclusion fits the evidence. I dont know how I missed that.

are liaos death commando or warrior house guards all female?

Nope. Only MOC ones.

Alright I know I'm just bitching now but what the fuck is this? Who the hell wrote this rule and why? Was Case I just too simple? Fuck this convoluted mess. I have SO many questions.

Attached: case2.jpg (387x304, 87K)

CASE II is late era tech and is thus retarded. A lot of later era game tech is overly complicated in order to differentiate it from earlier stuff. CASE II is just an egregious example.

CASE II is an improvement on regular case and can be mounted in limbs. The reason it seems convoluted is because it's really three rules when you break it down.

If something explodes in a location protected by CASE II, it only does 1 internal structure damage.

Make a regular crit roll for the IS damage. If you get any critical hits, make a second roll for each. Discard the critical hits if the second roll is 8+

The rest is just how much armor blows off depending on location. You lose all the armor on a limb or an amount equal to half the starting armor in the torsos and head.

Gimme something to do in skunkwerks for a couple of minutes. I already did pic related last I asked.

Attached: The bastard child of an Ost and a Hunchback.png (608x1256, 44K)

Holy fuck, I remember those. They came as random bits in little 20¢ packs of sweets in the early '80s, and the packets didn't have any instructions or pictures of what the finished ones should look like. Even trying to finish one by colour-code was futile, because I remember having the exact same bit in three different colours.

If I'd seen the shows to know they were actually Dougrams and such, I might've been more annoying about collecting them, but I was barely in primary school....

My main concern applies to Case I as well. When they ask "Is the location protected by case I or II?" are they referring to the location just destroyed by the ammunition explosion or the location that the damage is supposed to transfer to?

I dont understand how Case II is an improvement over Case I when apparently Case II blows off half your armor whereas Case I says it just negates all damage? Or does Case I just contain the explosion and prevent it from transferring wheras Case II actually reduces the damage caused in the location where the ammunition exploded? I'm so confused.

I feel like an idiot for not understanding this but at the same time I do not feel it was explained very well at all.

Attached: damage flowchart.jpg (879x923, 254K)

>I dont understand how Case II is an improvement over Case I when apparently Case II blows off half your armor whereas Case I says it just negates all damage? Or does Case I just contain the explosion and prevent it from transferring wheras Case II actually reduces the damage caused in the location where the ammunition exploded?
The flowchart is unclear there. CASE, the location with CASE is destroyed and no damage transfers inward. CASE II the location takes 1pt internal damage and the rest vents out the back armor (or takes half the armor off the head).

There is the notable exception of Laurel's Legion, an all-female merc unit that worked primarily for the CapCon** (being founded by a Northwind Highlanders member) and eventually became part of the "Citizen's Honored" brigade of the CCAF.

**There was a brief period where they worked for the FedSuns after the CapCon fucked 2/3rds of the unit over because the other third defected to a FedSuns unit in lieu of being obliterated while outnumbered something like 8-1. The other 2/3rds of the unit defected as well after The Fuckening, and the Legion worked for the FedSuns during the War of 3039, but they were back under CapCon control not long after that.

Autism- AWAY!

Attached: MyBestWorkEva!-YAS-Urbie.png (800x600, 70K)

Original CASE applies all the damage directly to the IS of the ammo location can't be mounted on limbs. Generally this means you lose the entire side torso and the arm.

Compare that to just 1 point of IS damage with CASE II and losing some armor.

The whole point of any kind of CASE is that it doesn't transfer outside the location. No CASE is why ammo explosions gut grogtech mechs, because all that leftover damage just keeps creeping to the center and pure IS damage, no armor.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you for your patience.

How the fuck do you KNOW all this shit?

That's just somebody pulling a JM7 with a Hunch 4H.

>an all-female merc unit that worked primarily for the CapCon** (being founded by a Northwind Highlanders member)

Was it because she didn't like the old Northwind dedicated stripper corps? God, I miss when the Highlanders were fun.

I've thumbed my nose at this rule for over two decades. Frankly, there's no point. So, who ever won movement and moved last, fires first.

1. Declare what you want to fire (I fire the hole-punchers first), and roll to hit, in the same order, one or however many identical ones at a time.
2. Roll damage locations. Once the combined total reaches twenty, he rolls to see if he stays standing. If not, I finish rolling damage locations and he rolls to find out which direction he falls. Then he rolls to determine damage from falling, consciousness, whatever.
3. Add the heat, and apply to the total already on the heat scale. Now the other guy fires.

Pretty sure he's been a BT fan for more than two DECADES, user. BT might look like a huge wall of lore from the outside, but it's less intimidating when you were there at the laying of each brick.

>How the fuck do you KNOW all this shit?

Attached: The Rememberance.gif (600x333, 2.69M)

Why does the book say that all attacks in an entire phase need to be declared and made before any hit locations or damage can be resolved? As shown in this picuture

NEA's been here since the beginning. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if he had an original BattleDroids box set running around somewhere.

Also, to any who knows, was BattleDroids any different from BattleTech or were they the same mechanics? I know BD predates BT but did they change up the rules any for the change or just the name?

Because he's doing it wrong. He's treating order of movement as order of fire instead of simultaneous fire. And you know, he can as a house rule thing. But it causes the game to play very differently.

Hey NEA- were aircraft bombloads always limited by hardpoints, or was there a time you just paid the thrust penalty?

All sinks were external sinks, so stuff like the Marauder and Crusader were better from crit packing in the torsos. Jump jets weren't tied to the engine rating either so you had some nutty stuff like the OG Spider that was way meaner from the saved weight.

Attached: Battledroid Spider.png (804x936, 366K)

Sorry, missed this.

No, she's not. Laurel's Legion started up because its founder lost 2 of her 3 kids in a Marik attack and asked permission to start up her own merc unit to go stomp on the Mariks. It's in the original House Liao book, somewhere around page 95-96 or thereabouts.

The funny thing about discussing Capellan girls is that nobody ever seems to remember Marshigama's Legionnaires (my spelling may be off), who are a unit populated EXPLICITLY by female supermodels. Men are less than a third of the unit, and are recruited based on being highly skilled and deliberately ugly or feral. There's a full-color spread in the Liao handbook about the unit, though it suffers *badly* from "early FASA artwork" syndrome.

>Pretty sure he's been a BT fan for more than two DECADES, user

Three. I got my first 2e box for Christmas of 1988. My uncle worked for TSR (yes, really) and wanted to get me a Robotech-themed game for the holiday; the destroid on the cover was what convinced him. Possibly the longest-running mistake of my life, save conception.

>was BattleDroids any different from BattleTech or were they the same mechanics?

Good lord, yes. Hugely different in practice. No jump MP limit, for one. More importantly, even, you had to allocate ALL your heat sinks; none were in the engine. Which is why stuff like the Crusader and Marauder make no sense in later editions; there were *several* SHS in the ammo-carrying locations for crit-padding.

Good question; it's been a long time since I've thought back that far. IIRC, they were originally limited by the thrust penalty; you couldn't reduce thrust past a certain point, which matched the practical hardpoint limit of later editions. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong on this one - I haven't looked at AT1 during this millennium.

Attached: 10921.jpg (367x500, 61K)

Yep, House rule. I really hadn't noticed much of a difference in all that time; the number of people who actually followed the order of operations were pretty rare. Most of the time, in leagues and casual weekend gaming, that was the generally accepted way it was done. Might just have been a local thing, though. I was never rich enough to go to the big cons in the states.

>The funny thing about discussing Capellan girls is that nobody ever seems to remember Marshigama's Legionnaires (my spelling may be off), who are a unit populated EXPLICITLY by female supermodels.

Whoa wait what? That's not an MoC unit? Really? You're sure? Because that sounds like the sort of fetish bait FASA would assign to the Magistracy, not the Capellans.

Can someone please tell me the correct way to do the weapons attack phase

Attached: help.jpg (959x742, 224K)

I'm missing some art in my PDF, but I'm with you. He's smoking something or trying to deflect from the MOC. There's no such data my my PDF copy. The legionaries are just a veteran unit with a bunch of scorpions and Goliaths. He's bullshitting.