Scion 2e: The rage continues

Previous thread.
So you hate the setting. What are your plans for changing it at your table.

Attached: Hercules-Legendary-Journeys-Kevin-Sorbo-f[1].jpg (500x446, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCg26VZ0bQ
funin.space/compendium/theme/Tuathan.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So old old comments said 9 months between core books. Does anyone even realistically believe that anymore?

no

But I don't hate the setting, really. I just tone it back a degree.

Attached: ggg.png (756x152, 28K)

I hate that they no longer had Cortez as a conflicted Scion of Quetzalcoatl. That was one of my favorite things from 1e, and I feel they got rid of it just be PC or something.

Attached: dragon quetzalcoatl air guardian.jpg (800x618, 383K)

I don't know how I feel about the number of Hero abilities that rely on targets being Lower Tier. Sure, as things go on, it's an easier scale than "beings of Lower Legend", but in Hero at least, I worry that it's going to weaken some Knack options. Like, Always There is a cool ability, but it's meaningless against a foe with any legend.

Have they, though? As I recall, Cortes's role wasn't revealed until later in 1e, like Demigod/God. And in this one, we've only been told that "Cortes was no God", which may be a very specific denial.

I would understand the rage at the new setting if the new rules weren't literally perfect for running the old setting.
>So you hate the setting. What are your plans for changing it at your table.
Use the old setting... done.

My main complaint about 1e, and as I understand it one f the main complaints from "the community" was
>Man, this setting is freaking cool, but the rules SUUUUUUCK. If only there were better rules out there than just GURPS/FATE/SW to use to run this fantastic setting.
Hence all the attempts to write rulefixes for scion that bordered on systems themselves in complexity (Gotham by Night, and John's Scion Resources to name two.)

OPP provided us with a fantastic system to run the setting we all fell in love with almost a decade ago. Yeah, there's some mediocre alternate history "The Man In The Olympian Castle" fanfic between the vastly improved rules bits, but... who gives a shit? Seriously, can anyone give me a reason to care about the fact that the system that's perfect for running the original scion setting has a new and vastly inferior setting in the fluff text? Especially when what we've been asking for and trying to create for a decade is a rulefix/new-set-of-rules to run the setting we already loved as is, and that's exactly what we got...

Attached: download.jpg (265x190, 13K)

Reckon thats supposed to be imbue or spend?

Attached: mistake.png (504x144, 7K)

Everything about that power EXCEPT the fact that it can fire to extreme range feels on-par with imbue-level powers and well below spend-level powers..... but that ability to fire at extreme range... that's a bit of a wild card.

Honestly, my quickest fix would be to make it imbue, but say it only extends range to long, not extreme, and include a caveat that you can instead SPEND a legend to make a dex-based attack with any weapon at extreme range.

Man I actually find it really cool how forge is the only boon in the entire game to have a cost over 1 legend. Feels nice to actually have crafting powers that are cool.

Page 211 says you start with Legend 1 and two Boons. Page 213 says that characters with Legend 1 can know at most 1 Boon. Does anybody know which is correct?

Well, all of the example scions either have 2 boons, or they plum forgot to include ANY boon, and NONE of them have only 1 boon, so 2 boons seems much more likely their intent.

>a fantastic system

Detach Neall's cock from the back of your throat and read it again, son. The rules are mediocre, clunky around any situation of complexity and otherwise relying on vaguely defined narrative control.

1e had a similar problem, of really crunchy rules at some points, and (especially at high Legend) very broadly defined powers that could do a whole host of different things, depending on the reading. 2e just spread the problem around a little, so the bad crunch isn't focused on combat.

Between all of our options
>1e
>GBN
>JSR
>GURPS
>FATE
>SW
>2e
2e is by far the strongest; not perfect by any stretch of the immagination, but the best ATM.

Personally, I was working on a Legends Of The Wulin hack, but never finished.

I'm curious but what are people's reactions to the setting changes elsewhere on the internet? I know we hate it but I want to know if we're the only ones

I'm doing a Talislanta hack, still under construction.

I'm keeping the Epic Attributes, but I like Callings and am importing those as a way to organize and consolidate Knacks. Still undecided how to do Boons/Purviews, though.

Attached: Explain Later.png (1739x1446, 254K)

I am surprised that, given the new emphasis on 'cultural sensitivity', the Aztec gods are still bloodthirsty monsters that exist only to eat hearts and wave obsidian knives. They've started using the term Mēxihcah, though, which is nice.

Attached: Scion Pantheon Atzlánti.png (293x319, 181K)

>The only rule the Teōtl hold inviolate is that all human sacrifice must be willing: The bond between the sacrificial victim and captor is more intimate than family, and any who challenge this dictum face the wrath of the Teōtl as a whole.

>During the 200 years when the Mēxihcah ruled Tenochtitlan, they consumed massive quantities of flesh, blood, and fire, their empire’s warfare practices based around capturing sacrificial captives to kill and offer to the ravenous Teōtl.

I wonder how they plan to reconcile the fact that the Mēxihcah absolutely did sacrifice unwilling victims, to the point of capturing them in war specifically to drag them back to the altar.

Attached: Bad Decisions.jpg (895x944, 61K)

Slander.

Man, the upgraded Guide system is pretty nice in this edition.

Going from just "You gotta guy you can call when you need intel" to "Guides give access to Purviews, Knacks, special stunts, and you can even use their Legendary Title" is a nice broadening of the system.

I really like the almost Wuxia/old school Champion feel of getting to use their Legendary Title. "You would challenge ME, who has trained under the Fist of the White Lotus?! This will be over quickly."

I like the title system in general. It's a decent way of emulating that whole thing where most mythological figures will have like a paragraph of weird pithy titles after their name, and still have them actually mean something

Neall posted in the forums that it's 2. His phrasing is a little weird, but the implication seems to be you get 1 Boon for having Legend at all, and then +1 per point of Legend.

>I wonder how they plan to reconcile the fact that the Mēxihcah absolutely did sacrifice unwilling victims, to the point of capturing them in war specifically to drag them back to the altar.

Eh, the book implies heavily that pantheons can change their MO a bit over time if need be.

Can someone give me the rundown on why people hate it? I mean, 1e wasn't a pile of diamonds, but it wasn't bad. Not EXALTED bad.

The shitty new setting takes up dozens of pages off the book. Those pages could’ve been used to include any amount of non-shitty content, from squeezing in extra pantheons to clarifying the rules to sample adventures featuring the iconic Scions (something which I found very charming in the previous edition, even if said adventures tended to be singularly awful). Hell, they could’ve just been removed, making the books cheaper.

Nigga, you high? Fate was practically made for that shit, Birthrights are practically primitive Aspects. It even has the right name.

Few other places discuss it except the OPP forums, and anyone who says bad things about it there gets immediately nabbed by the Thought Police.

Where were you when Scion 2e became a game about fluffy tails getting kitsune PCs in trouble?

Attached: Fox's Tail.png (1089x381, 75K)

A lot of people fell in love with the Hidden World Urban Arcana setting that 1e created, even if the rules made Exalted look downright balanced and well thought out; so much so that there were numerous fanmade resources, with almost as much wordage as the original, trying to preserve the setting while fixing the mechanics (Gotham By Knight, and John's Scion Resources come to mind.) .

OPP did a kickstarter to re-launch the game with new rules, and after they got the money, they revealed that the setting would no longer be Hidden World Urban Arcana, but would in-fact be Fantasy Alternate History.... think "The Man In The Olympian Castle," instead of "Percy Jackson For Grownups."

Given that the system, and setting, and game as a whole, were always strongly narrative, to the point that the world ran on narrativium in-character and it had mechanics for it, a shift in GENRE is pretty freaking huge, and a lot of people who were hoping not only for new mechanics, but expansion on the old setting they loved, feel like they got the bait-and-switch in the Kickstarter.

Personally, I never gave to the kickstarter, and was only hoping for new mechanics for the old setting, so I'm not mad at all... but I can understand where the rage comes from.

There's also the fact that hidden urban fantasy and alternate history fantasy are almost antithetical genres when it comes to people's ability to suspend disbelief: the conventions of one all revolve around ignoring the supernatural influences while the conventions of the other all revolve around really digging into them. That makes people naturally very critical of the new setting and because no more thought went into making it fit together than in the previous edition, it falls apart, fast.

My problem right now, is that the system is also a mess. Too much convoluted shit and im not even sure if it works.
If you mean Hero Level, maybe, As you get more powerfull in the first edition the problems started to become obvious even to people who cant think how game mechanics works to save their lives.

This is amazing, though

Much as I like the new mechanics when it comes to supernatural abilities, I must say I don't like almost any other aspect of them and that I think they're far, far from the virtual perfection people are making them out to be. At the end of the day I still think GURPS, Fate or Savage World, with a tiny bit of work, would drive a Scion game better than either this or the previous system.

>GURPS
No thank you. I don't want to have to build my game with a million legos

At least the legos could potentially fit together if you’re not a moron. This system’s held together with spit and positive thinking.

I'll need to extract the system from the prose to see exactly what is going wrong where, and what to do about it, but that won't be too hard.

So between the terrible setting and mediocre rule system is there actually any point to the 2nd Edition?

Just use Mutants and Masterminds

That's actually not such a bad idea. I could see it working (although purviews might need a bit of a looking at, since I'm not sure stunts would do justice to the new Marvel system, which is admittedly nifty)

As someone not very familiar with scion (I read the books and thought "oh that looks like it could be neat", but never played a game or anything), what specifically were the big issues with 1e mechanically? Did 2e manage to fix/address them properly or just introduce new problems?

Also, did they ever address the fact that in WW2 the Greek pantheon sided with Italy despite Italy declaring war on and trying to conquer Greece? I'm guessing the answer is "no, because that would have required WW/OP writers to have done research", but I just wanted to double check.

>Also, did they ever address the fact that in WW2 the Greek pantheon sided with Italy despite Italy declaring war on and trying to conquer Greece? I'm guessing the answer is "no, because that would have required WW/OP writers to have done research", but I just wanted to double check.

The idea was that the gods who allied with the Italians during WWII were the Roman ones (Fascist Italy was all over ancient Rome), not the Greek. It's just that according to the 1st edition cosmology they were literally the same gods using different names, hence the need to jump through logical hoops to explain that kind of stupidity.

The problems were scaling.
So every attribute had an epic attribute in 1e. Went from one to ten, limited to one below legend. What these did was give you automatic successes based on their rating. One, then two, then four, seven, eleven... Adding the rating each time you see. Dex also added to dvs, stamina to soak and health levels. In case the problem isn't apperently already, it basically comes down to the math shaking out such that a one dot difference in epic dexterity meant none of the lowers attacks would hit, and all of the highers would. This was compounded by a few really REALLY bad knacks. One doubled the dv bonus from epic Dex, and there was no offensive equivalent. What this means is two opponents of equal stats cannot hit each other. There were a few other things, epic social and mental attributes were useless since there were no social and mental systems, so on and so on.

Oh, and to asnwer the second part, yes they did fix it. The epic attributes are gone, and there's a universal scaling system and tier system that they can just selectively impliment until it works.

Epic attributes as they were in 1e are gone, a few are purviews now.

I'll recommend Heroquest.
Just make a new keyword as your heritage.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The space they filled is tucked into scale through the purviews, as is most other stuff, be it through boons, knacks, or legendary titles that allow for feats of scale

Anybody else notice that the Theoi writeups don't include examples of what their Scions are like?

Does anybody else feel like there's not much room for advancement? You only learn three new Boons and two dots worth of Knacks after character creation. You can learn new Knacks but can only use 6 dots worth at a time, you can get new Purviews but it seems like the Kami, Manitou, and Teotl Purview Marvels would let you do just about anything any other Purview could anyway. Is it really just piling on more and more Birthrights?

>Does anybody else feel like there's not much room for advancement?
I agree, but at the same time I imagine that Demigod and God will open this up a little.

>reading Tuatha writeup
>trying desperately not to get this stuck in my head
>youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCg26VZ0bQ

funin.space/compendium/theme/Tuathan.html
>Some have eyes like those of cats, eladrin, or owls; others have shining manes of dark hair naturally interwoven with raven, peacock, or eagle feathers; still others have subtly elongated noses or ears suggestive of foxes, cats, or elves. These understated traits appear natural and are rarely noticed at a glance.

How "rarely noticed" is "rarely noticed"...?

Attached: d0217f9c94b958e17a9313f209639994.png (1234x1234, 866K)

They planning any alternate settings/"Shards" that might include something less crappy?

Plot. Or I guess super random, like, roll a d100 every time you meet a person and see if they notice on a hundred

Try and remember the last time you noticed someone wearing two differently colored socks. That's how rarely noticed, I'd say.

My husband does this EVERY FUCKING DAY and it pisses me the hell off every goddamn time. Fuck. I notice that shit immediately.

I happen to think the system is okay, but I'm going to try to port the Exalted 3e social system in all the same because I think its genius

Oh wait, you said setting hacks not system. Derp

Let's examine the mechanics. What mechanics could be done better?

I think they really just need to divorce all the flowery text from the rules. Just gimme the rules

Yahweh, the One True God
Aliases: Jehovah, God, Allah, the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost

Considered an objective lesson in why a god should avoid too much Fatebinding, Yahweh was once an unremarkable deity of the Canaanite pantheon until he hit upon the idea of explaining his worshipers' failings in combat as a punishment upon them, rather than as proof he had been defeated by their rivals' god. This worked well for him, and over time he continued on this path, convincing his people that he was the only god, personally responsible for all things. As the Jews were conquered by the Roman empire, Yahweh sent several Scions to deal with the situation. One created a cult that managed to spread even among the gentiles, and Yahweh was pleased. Seeing his chance, Yahweh put his full effort into converting the Roman Empire away from the Theoi. To his regret, he succeeded.The constant worship of so many mortals who believed that he totally controlled the universe frayed his Mantles, giving them more and more power while also making them vaguer so as to explain the contradiction of a single all-powerful god.

The strain of being responsible for all things,of creating death only to sacrifice himself to save humanity from it, of supporting every moral code held by all of his worshipers, destroyed his mind. Now Yahweh is all things to all people. He believes that the Catholic Church is the one true road to salvation. He believes that Muhammad was his last prophet. America is his chosen country, a new Jerusalem, but it is also the Great Satan that must be destroyed. He sits idly by while orphans starve, because of original sin. He then sends an angel to cure a ward full of leukemia patients, because he is all merciful and all loving. Yahweh is now a blind idiot, an unthinking maelstrom of undirected divine power. He mostly sits idle. After all, the world must be the way he wants it, because he made it that way in the first place. But sometimes he ordains miracles, mostly at random. He would have been put down by the other pantheons long ago, but for the fact that his Legend of omnipotence makes him frightfully powerful. The other pantheons thus wisely try to stay out of his notice and not kick at the hornets nest that are the Abhramaic religions, giving in to demands as Yahweh decrees them.

God's Scions are plentiful, almost always chosen instead of born, but often greatly disheartened if they ever learn the truth, such as when God decides that the Scion he sent on a divine mission is actually a servant of the devil, and creates a new Scion to kill the first. But many manage to "mature" and join God's large pantheon of saints (who are very clear that they are not gods, even though they are). The archangels, saints, and prophets will often try to intercede with God through prayer, but they often can't agree with each other, their contradictory requests just driving God crazier, but they represent the best way the other pantheons have of attempting to deal with him peacfully.

Callings: Healer, Judge, Leader
Purviews: All

Lucifer, the Adversary
Aliases: Satan, Beelzebub, the Beast, the Devil

Originally an angel tasked with judging and condemning sinners, Lucifer has evolved alongside his master as he absorbed the Mantles of other gods. Now he is a rebel, a divine revolutionary who is set against God but destined to fail. He leads men astray with lies and temptation, turning them from God. He commands a legion of demons that bedevil humanity. He appears to cults of witches and grants them magic power.

But for all this, Lucifer is no fool. He knows that he can't stand up to God. In fact, he sabotages himself. Even in the World, Satanism is not a popular religion. He puts up only a token effort, terrified that if he ever became a credible threat God might kill him in one of his more active periods. Lucifer's real, desperate hope is to spread atheism. Everything from materialistic explanations that defy the divinity of gods, to UFO cults, to fanciful ideas that everyone lives in a computer simulation, Lucifer propagates them in the hope that active disbelief in god can somehow undo Yahweh's transformation, or at least weaken him. So far, it hasn't worked.

Lucifer occasionally sires anti-christs, usually for the express purpose of allowing God's soldiers to kill them, but his real scions are far more subtle, and brought into the fold of his schemes to turn the World to atheism.

Callings: Lover, Trickster, Warrior
Purviews: Beasts(Serpents), Chaos, Darkness, Deception, Fire

Pantheon Path of Abrahamism
Asset Skills: Integrity, Persuasion
Virtues: Faith vs Love

Faith in God as the one true master of the universe, who is all good and all wise, who has ordained everything that will happen in the World. To place oneself above him is folly, not to mention sinful. All people must humbly accept their place in this divine plan and accept that he works in mysterious ways. Faith involves enduring the World's divinely ordained hardships and accepting God's will, whether explict or implied, no matter how horrible, even if he requests you to sacrifice your own son.

But then again God is love. He loves all things, and wishes only the best for them. His Scions must be paragons of virtue, who aid the meek, turn the other cheek, and treat others as they wish to be treated. After all, whatever they do to the least of humans, they do to God, who made them in his own image. Love is caring for everyone, even your enemies, and standing for what is good even if you have to sacrifice yourself.

These are all well and good until God starts demanding that you love the people he's ordered you to kill. It's a dichotomy that has broken God's mind, and not a few of his Scions have followed suite.

Signature Purview: Divine Intervention
No one works miracles but God and the angels. Every divine action of one of his Scions is really an intervention on their behalf by a higher spiritual being (or so God claims). It is through prayer, ritual, and austerities that Scions prove themselves worthy to receive these blessings.

Innate Power: Once per scene, you may pray minor supernatural effects, of the kind that might be coincidence. Running into the person you were looking for, randomly opening a Bible to a verse that provides a clue about a mystery you are investigating, or a kindly stranger offering a lift after your car breaks down. God will then guide you to another task the next time you pray, which will be similarly minor, such as preaching on a street corner, trying to talk a woman who is currently on the fence out of having an abortion, or publicly decrying a person of a randomly selected religion (which may include your own) as a heretic. You must complete such a task before you can pray again.

Mysterious Ways
As the Yoga Boon Devotion's Reward.

Speaking Tongues
Cost: Imbue 1 Legend
Duration: Indefinite
Subject: Self
Action: Simple

In order to spread the word of God, you are able to speak in a miraculous glossolalia, the language of humanity from before the Tower of Babel. Anyone who hears your words will understand them perfectly, regardless of which languages they know.

...I can't even be mad, this is fucking brilliant.

Attached: kaio-kek.jpg (292x257, 29K)

There are too many ways to stack complications/difficulty-modifiers, to the point that, if you build for it, locking someone much higher legend than you down with "control effects" is trivial. This is because the way that "buff" style things generally work is by adding extra dice, while equivalent "control effect" style things generally add a similar/comprable number of extra successes the target needs to get in order to succeed.... bear in mind that it's still a d10 dice pool system, with exploding 10's and TN8, meaning every dice is 0.333... successes, meaning every "debuff" is worth 3 buffs generally speaking.

Generally speaking, every time I made an Abrahamic pantheon for Scion, I usually made it Elohi/Engels, and had the functional leader be The Metatron, while YHWH (presumably of greater titan/primordial strength) resides somewhere hidden/unseen, speaking only through Metatron, and the occasional prophet. The faithful say this is because he is the god of FAITH, and that knowledge is NOT faith, thus necessitating the possibility of reasonable doubt... which is also why he allows Lucifer to stick around. Detractors claim that YHWH doesn't actually exist, and that Metatron uses the story to maintain control of the pantheon.

Can you get more than one though?

yes

Attached: Screen Shot.png (734x175, 58K)

Hmm. I don't know if that's technically accurate. The rules for Complications note that they don't actually STOP you from succeeding on a task, they simply change what a success results in.

Which, now that I think on it, means at least several things need to have what, exactly, their complications would MEAN explained better.

This is true, there are a number of complication tags that refer to
>P. XX
in the text preview with no explanation to be found. Exactly HOW debilitating not buying off a given complication is makes a big difference. The only one I can find with a specific penalty for not buying it off is "Pinned," which is "take another injury condition."

Can I get a quick rundown? I wasn't following it, but I liked the 1st Scion. Why is it bad?

It's not, it's just a different genre, which is admitedly a big change, nothing in the rules whatsoever even makes it slightly difficult to just use them for 1e's setting. However, the jury is still out on the system.... though it's certainly better than 1e's rules.

There's a couple references to an "Armored" tag that doesn't seem to have a definition anywhere.

Origin.

Actually, now that I go back and look again, I was probably thinking of the heavily armored tag for antagonists.

There's a lot this question could apply to, but I'll assume you're referring to the OP and the setting.

1e's Scion setting goes "in the ancient past, the Gods walked the Earth, did magical things, and then, eventually stopped. Now they operate only in secret, and most don't believe they exist." So it's pulling a Masquerade-style setting.

2e's says "While they don't act as much as they used to, the Gods don't act in "secret", per se. The magical and divine is an accepted but uncommon part of most people's lives, and depending on your area, may be quite common."

So like, Liberty Island in New York Harbor was openly declared by Columbia, Goddess of America (who is a real being) to be divine neutral ground, and fights between heavenly forces can cause minor traffic incidents every couple weeks or so.

This difference has thoroughly aggravated some, since, in essence, this turned the World into an alternate history setting with "the ancient gods turned out to be real, and magic provably exists"...and then the writers said "but BASICALLY everything turned out the same. (unless you want to change that in your game."

So they put themselves into the middle, where by making it all open, they can't use "secrecy" as a cover-up for all the things that the gods SHOULD have reasonably stopped, but they also didn't commit to the alternate history angle by exploring how various conflicts/faiths and so forth were changed by these new forces.

They give a couple here and there, but mainly implicitly say "we weren't interested in that, so it just worked out, okay?" with the "if you care, you can make an explanation for your table" addendum.

Yeah, I'm more referring specifically *to* origin. You see it listed under the Motorcycle Jacket's tags, and also occurs on Page 130 of Origin under the Well Tempered Knack's description.

Narratively, how do you handle Scions with children and/or grandchildren?

From whatever place the Scion in question relates to them.

I'd definitely put that in a "discuss with player" box. If they want their family to be involved, then sure. If not, we can just make a note that "Following your ascension, your family was placed under nominal divine protection."

They're not by definition also Scions, I'm fairly certain.

I have a hard time understanding why it's okay that in 1e had an alternate history where ancient gods turned out to be real and magic provably exists and things still end up basically the same but 2e can't get a pass on the same thing.

Even though in 1e there's an arbitrary "gods mostly fuck off here and just spend their time jacking it in their version of heaven" point they still showed up for the WW2 and they're arbitrarily back for "now."

Like, in 1e, the Iliad's fucking real true events. It'd be way more impactful if the gods just fucking stopped showing up on the battlefield or Zeus stopped turning into weird shit to fuck people after hundreds of years of doing so.

It just doesn't seem fair to me.

Antithetical genres. All conventions of the "hidden urban fantasy" genre lead the reader to accept the lack of big changes despite big events changing in the background, while all the conventions of the alternate history genre actively encourage them to ponder those.

I concur, user, but I have come to accept that it's simply more difficult for some Anons to handle.

Personally, I've argued that the presence of Magic makes the gods MORE questionable, since from a philosophical standpoint/a point of pure logic, the concern that "maybe I am being deceived/my senses cannot be trusted" is now a much more valid concern.

Maybe all the Gods except mine are simply demons. Maybe MY gods are a type of Demon, and there is another, greater being that has created everything. These theories aren't disprovable by the power of the Gods, and are given more validity by the fact that in most pantheons there exist Gods who are evil or deceptive.

But, I've been in too many other edition wars to not at least understand the feeling of "this is a much worse setting than the one we used to have", so I will grant those who dislike it the validity that they are entitled to feel that way.

well ok if you insist

Try to look at it less from a "logical" perspective, and from more of a narrative perspective... dare I say a more fatebound perspective.

1e is hidden world urban arcana. One of the central conceits, and arguably the narrative purpose of the genre as a whole, is to explore what sort of secret magical things could be going on underneath the world that we do in-fact live in, often so we can briefly turn off our suspension of disbelief and fool ourselves into believing that our world really is more magical than it is. See oWoD, nWoD, Percy Jackson, Animorphs, Harry Potter, Dresden Files, Buffy, Supernatural, American Gods, certain versions of John Constantine depending on who's writing, fucking Twilight etc... In not a single one of them is it internally consistent or logical for the world to be the same as ours on the surface, but it doesn't matter, because it's part of the genre to hand waive just enough that it looks like our world, because the purpose of the genre IS to look like our world.

2e, on the other hand, is Fantasy Alternate History... a completely different genre, and one where in making the world look as much like our own as possible is specifically NOT one of the established tropes: quite the opposite. The genre is explicitly about introducing a novum, and then exploring the imagined butterfly-effect differences. If The Man In The High Castle went out of its way to look as much like our real world as possible, people would NOT have given it the same pass that they gave all of the hidden world urban arcana fiction I mentioned. The same thing is happening with 2e.

Urban Arcana is a genre that looks like our world, because our inner self-deceiving child is meant to ask "maybe it IS our world." Alternate History is a genre that does not look like our world, because it's a fun thought experiment for our logical/imaginative selves to ask "what if our world was different."

But then again *I* am not mad. It runs 1e setting just fine.

>But then again *I* am not mad. It runs 1e setting just fine.
Think of all the nice stuff that could've been included in the books instead of 60 pages of poorly though out setting, though.

When do Demigod and God come out?

The actual books haven't gone out yet. Give them a few years.

So did I miss someone linking the Hero rules or what?

You did. Last thread.

Sorry, it was last thread. Here it is again.

Attached: Scion Hero 2e.pdf (PDF, 2.75M)

Thank you.

>Think of all the nice stuff that could've been included in the books instead of 60 pages of poorly though out setting, though.
The same can be said for the space devoted to the standard setting in almost every game book released ever. If I can calmly ignore Forgotten Realms lore pages and run a good D&D setting without REEEEEEing, then I can calmly ignore "The Man In The Olympian Castle" pages and use the rules to run a 1e setting without REEEEEEing.

This is nothing new. Stay calm and cary on.

>Hou Yi isn't one of the Chinese gods available
I'm mildly disappointed by this.

In that case, consider it your loss that those 60 pages you won't be using cost you money/made the book heavier/more of a hassle to scroll through the PDF. Whichever way you look at it, you didn't ask for them.

He might show up later on; he's at least mentioned in Chang'e's writeup.

>cost you money
doesn't apply
>made the book heavier
doesn't apply
>more of a hassle to scroll through the PDF
DOES apply.... however, as I've stated before, thi ALSO applies to the space devoted to the "standard setting" in nearly every game book ever. It's a tid disappointing, but if I REEEEEd every time a game book devoted space to pure lore about a bad "standard setting" in this hobby, I'd be a very angry man with very little free time not spent REEEEEEing.

I can understand the disappointment being more significant if you gave to the Kickstarter before they revealed the new setting, because that was a bit of a bait-and-switch.

I'm compassionate to your situation, and I generally agree with you, but I just can't get passionate about it once I look at it with some perspective. Maybe if they'd baked their dumb setting into the mechanics in some unavoidable way, I'd be more mad, but they didn't. Just think of it as a slightly more professionally done version of the GBN and JSR 1e hacks. We LOVED those.

so anybody else notice that apparently descriptors like "mocha-colored skin" are racist now

>Reading the "How To Storyguide" section
>Reading/needing a literal bullet-points list of rules on how to be polite and respectful.

Those are rules for people who are too autistic to know how to be polite polite and respectful as qualitatively judged based on current company, and need things broken down into a literal procedural list that's strict enough that you won't offend even the most sensitive of tables.

I'm... really left wing... and proudly accept the "SJW" label when it's given. However, reading through that list (which I didn't do until your complaint made me find it) I've broken/defied basically every rule/suggestion/answer on that list at-least once, if not many times, but the social context was such that it wasn't impolite or disrespectful... it's pretty fucking easy: just don't be a dick. If you're sufficiently autistic that you need procedural rules... then yes, you will have to err on the side of caution more than normal people: that's part of the disorder. If you have the disorder, you learn to deal with it, just like how colorblind people learn to deal with having to be extra careful at stoplights, and blind people learn to read braille.