MTG Modern Magic General

Previously on Modern General: "Sideboard tech" Edition

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
What are your favorite sideboard cards, and do you have any sideboard tech you'd consider "spicy?"

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

Attached: shm-229-kitchen-finks.jpg (672x936, 232K)

Other urls found in this thread:

metacall.gg,
mtggoldfish.com)
aliexpress.com/store/2659159?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.619b52334yXmDm,
blacklotus.aliexpress.com/store/1872540)
blacklotusalbum.imgur.com/
villazheng.imgur.com/
magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/masters-25/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/975459#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for the user who wanted to know which packs to pick on the wall :

-urza's legacy
-darksteel
-onslaught
- fitfh dawn
- tempest
- mirrodin
-magic origin
-khan of tarkir
-zendikar
-new phyrexia

and that's all, avoid the rest like plague

How do I best get into the game from complete scratch?

>midrange babbies complained so long and so hard that wizards had to print this piece of shit

Attached: file.png (375x523, 308K)

To the user from the previous thread.

Just so you know this card shows up in Dredge decks.

learn to play magic cards

play magic duels or wait for arena

From COMPLETE scratch? I'd suggest watching some stuff on youtube. Everyone is going to have different taste and such but I found Spellslingers to be a mostly-funny and easy to understand introduction to playing the game.
You should also go down to your LGS, and they should have free welcome decks to help teach you the game and get a basic feel for each color.
I'd definitely recommend attending a pre-release event - they're intentionally casual events which get you experience with whatever the newest card set is going to be. The next one's in April AFAIK.
Once you have a feel for the game, you'll want to look into what formats you're interested in. To give you a brief rundown though, Standard is only cards from the last 4-6 sets, Modern is everything that's been in Standard since 2003, Draft is you build a 40 card deck from some packs that get passed around at an event, and Commander/EDH is 100 card singleton multiplayer with some other special rules.
Also, welcome to Magic, newfriend!

Attached: Magic the Gathering in a nutshell.jpg (640x960, 84K)

Duels isn’t a bad place to start. I think it does a good enough job of explaining how to play the game that you could put somebody who had only played Duels into some casual kitchen table and not have to explain too much.

is modern format the most competative?

also just because I'm curious, what did they break in 2003 that caused the split?

standard, modern and legacy are all competative, just stay away from edh it's a meme format.

Like others have said. Duels or even one of the older Xbox/Steam Duels of the Planeswalkers game will teach you everything you need to know. I learnt that way and ended up with a deeper knowledge than most of the people at the LGS. Especially with the stack.

It's a meme format in the sense you can't be a pro edh player. It's by far the most popular casual format and the easiest to get involved in.

I have very little experience with MtG but I remember back in my high school days I played it a little and I loved Slivers, are they still viable?

>is modern format the most competative?
Standard is the most-played competitive format because Wizards of the Coast pushes it because it sells the most product. Modern is also widely played competitively as well.
>also just because I'm curious, what did they break in 2003 that caused the split?
The price of legacy (every card ever printed, with a banlist) was getting outrageous (like, an average legacy deck costs $3,500-$4,000) so WoTC decided to implement a new, non-rotating format beginning with cards from 8th edition onward, when they adopted the new card frame.

There are some Modern Sliver lists running around. I wouldn't take Slivers to a Grand Prix or anything but they're perfectly viable for Friday Night Magic and other low-level events.

They don't show up in tournaments very often but there is a modern slivers deck. Look up Adam Bowman best of scg on YouTube to see a sweet slivers deck on camera at a modern tourney.

Great! I'm not planning getting into really competitive games anyway, I just want a chance to win local games with cards I like. I'm kinda traumatized by the time I tried getting back into Yugioh with my harpy deck and got myself curbstomped by a kid summoning 5 or so monsters in a single turn...

>Favorite sideboard
--Runed Halo--
Best nontargeting removal as far as I'm concerned. Works wonder agains Eldrazi and Bogle, which are both decks my BW token struggle against. It's also very versatile and not limited to creature.
>Name Grape-shot or gift ungiven against Storm
>Name Codex shredder or Lantern of insight against lantern control
>Name Valakut, the molten pinnacle against titanshift
And so on...

>"Spicy" sideboard
--Tainted remedy--
This is a recent one I decided to try to combat heavy burn hate in my meta. It is fantastic, granted you get to three lands. I have so many fun stories with the card and I've only been playing for a month with it.

Hell, I didn't even know you could win games agains soul sister with burn until I started siding this. Plus it saved my ass so many time from many game 2/3 sideboard cards.

>Inb4 Rain of gore
No, it's worse because it doesn't work against lifelink. Go check some rulings.

Attached: a8e.jpg (675x1200, 124K)

>Tron players can't cope with the fact that their deck FINALLY got a decent hate card after so many years
>It's also good against storm
I'm gonna shove this is so many sideboard.

Attached: 1521134723160.jpg (600x500, 83K)

kys

What list do you use both of those in?

Hot take: it's not actually going to be backbreaking for Gx Tron or Storm.

Look at the OP for the budget decks link. Try any that looks cool to you.

I recommend Burn because it's literally "Counting to 20" the deck. It's simple and it works. I have the non-budget version and it's my strongest deck by far, especially in the current meta.

Otherwise, go monogreen Stompy. Biggest cheapest nongoyf creatures that hits hard fast. You may get wrecked by occasional abundance of removals, but it's a mindless fun deck.

Give me your BW Token list. I'm trying to make one now, and I need ideas and spicy tech.

>decent hate
lmao.
damping sphere is a trap.

Attached: gpt-75-shattering-spree.jpg (672x936, 276K)

The problems with these types of cards is that they exacerbate the biggest problem in Modern and Legacy and that's the existence of sideboard deck-killers. A diverse format is a good thing but an environment where strong sideboard cards that utterly ruin decks regularly just makes the format a bit less and less consistent.

Gravehate seems like a good sort of effect. One card does a lot and it doesn't matter what card you use: Leyline or Relic. The variation is good. Likewise Arifact-hate, lots of options, broad applications, good. Naturalize if it was playable would also be good. Pithing Needle is also good. Thalia is also a great card. They're silver bullets but imperfect for some part.

The problem is when the hate becomes better when it becomes more narrow. Cards like Stony Silence, Rest in Peace, this Sphere, they're all just better but less flexible. The game somewhat feels like garbage when you're deciding between silver bullets like this. It feels like garbage when you MUST have to acquire more of these narrow cards. They're silver bullets that are infallible but at the same time really boring like Torpor Orb.

1. Find the deck you want to build (metacall.gg, mtggoldfish.com)

2. Adjust your deck to fit your tastes.

3. Look for good counterfeiters for the out-of-reach money cards (aliexpress.com/store/2659159?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.619b52334yXmDm, blacklotus.aliexpress.com/store/1872540)

Tip: If your deck needs Snapcasters or Cryptic Commands, buy the ITALIAN ones. UBx control is also not really recommended since there don't seem to be any good fakes of Kolaghan's Command or Collective Brutality. Also, if you're brand new to MTG, buy a full 4x set of fetches since you'll always need them.

Attached: The+Immortal+Sun+%5BRIX%5D.jpg (223x311, 28K)

No

No sideboard is absolute and obvious sideboard cards will always be anticipated by their victim, which will sideboard accordingly. That's nothing new. But DS definitely demands an answer. Otherwise it's a big hurdle that will slow down their gameplans to a crawl.

Attached: Tron fans tear.png (750x650, 283K)

With pleasure

You can easily replace the bitterblossom with Raise the alarm and lilianas with Collective brutality

Attached: BW Token.png (944x643, 292K)

Why not replace Liliana of the Veil for The Last Hope? Aren't they similar?

>But DS definitely demands an answer.
Against Tron I guarantee you most people will slam this card with no/little pressure to back it up and still get dunked on. I've seen the same thing happen dozens of times with Blood Moon.
It's a great card, but it's not going to be as much of a hurdle as you seem to think it is.

is it still worth having all 4 bitterblossoms? i've been thinking about building it and i'm really fascinated by all the recent tokens cards like legion's landing and that one dominaria saga that generates 2/2 knights for 2 turns followed by a +2/+1.

also, what do you think about splashing green for driven//despair? haven't really seen anyone play tokens so i'm curious if you ever hit enough tokens to make the card worth running.

Attached: Image.png (223x311, 127K)

Who ever made this deck, thank you. This has been one of the funnest meme I've played in a long time.

Attached: fun meme.jpg (975x581, 260K)

That said, I do think a U/R version is much better than a straight U version. The reach with Bolts and the Red Eldrazi are something to look at. But I also want to fit in 1 or 2 Displacers

I tried it actually. Splashed green for this, Abrupt decay and gavony township. It's a winmoar card. It's really good when it works, but it doesn't do nothing to advance your board state and you can't really cast it until turn 4.

Abrupt decay, Maelstrom pulse and gavony township should be the only reason you splash green if you do.

I'm gonna post another less controlly list in a minute

thanks bros

Forgot to add the imgurs for BL and VZ.
blacklotusalbum.imgur.com/
villazheng.imgur.com/

It also helps to lurk on /r/bootlegmtg since the users there sometimes post the shipments they receive. Also, if you use fakes, use outer sleeves that have the frosted fronts. Most of the cards are imperceptible at first glance, but they're definitely not perfect.

>The problem is when the hate becomes better when it becomes more narrow.

It also impacts sideboarding in a negative way. A silver bullet against affinity might be pure trash against tron. You have more narrow options in your sideboard now, leading to a more diverse, but less effective, board.

This makes post sideboard games feel even more bullshit. Did you draw your leyline? game over right away.

Here's a more aggro token list. It's a bit more "meme-ish" because it can also cheat Emrakul out.

Attached: BW Token 2.png (955x651, 283K)

I don't have last hope, but in this deck she's less busted because I have no use for the second ability and it takes to much time to ult.

Liliana of the veil is not mandatory in token, you can just play more removal/discard instead. I just play her because I have two and it's the only deck I can play it in. I'm actually thinking of maybe selling them since they're so expensive at the moment.

do we know everything that is in Modern 25 yet?

Attached: 1393776768019.gif (245x245, 775K)

I don't know which tron player you face, but mine usually die to blood moon.

Then again, most tron in my meta are Eldrazi Tron and U tron. RG tron might be another story altogether. I'd also like to point out that the deck I'll most likely play DS in is my BW token deck, and it means it will be backed up by discard. Won't always have it with DS, but the same is true for your Natural claim.

Also, Tron is a bad match-up for my BW token deck and no moderate amount of sideboard will change that. I don't expect DS to be an auto-win button against tron. I just expect it to help me not auto-lose to them, plus the card's also pretty good against storm, so that's a nice plus.

Attached: ede.png (800x800, 140K)

In an effort to not insult you, here's the list:
>magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/masters-25/
Use google next time

Are the 6.0 Jaces playable?

>Then again, most tron in my meta are Eldrazi Tron and U tron

Since they're playing objectively inferior versions of the Chad tron it's no wonder you're dunking on them.

The only tron that matters is green, and blood moon doesn't rape that deck as often as people expect. I'm guessing DS will be more of the same.

I never got the "Counterfeit" meme. I get that the prices of cards are nonsensically high and I'm all for cheaper decks, but don't you get banned from events if you get caugth with any of those?

Granted, you have very low chance to get caught if you're not a top/pro player, but then why bother? If you wanna play for fun, it's easy to print proxies and get the table to agree on it. If you're just bad at the game in general, having access to good card won't change that. If you wanna go pro, you'll inevitably get caught sooner or later.

No you can just say you didn't know they were counterfeit and you will just get a game loss and have to replace the cards.

even if you have an entire deck of counterfeits?
also, if you start going to a second lgs and try to use the same excuse, won't you get assblasted?

Assuming you're not just having an ego trip, I will keep what you said in mind.

Having access to sylvan scrying and Ancient stirring is also no joke. Natural claim in the sideboard I assume.

Any big surprise green creature? Tragtusk or Worldbreaker perhaps?

Oh... that is kind of underwhelming. Is there any reports of repeated offenses from players, or is this really the harshest punishment?

Guys I kind of need some help regarding a choice to my Death and Taxes list:

4 Restoration Angel
4 Flickerwisp
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Blade Splicer
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Aven Mindcensor
2 Mirran Crusader
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Path to Exile
4 Aether Vial

1 Cavern of Souls
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Tectonic Edge
8 Plains

side:
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Stony Silence
2 Ghostly Prison
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Rest in Peace
1 Selfless Spirit
2 Sunlance
1 Dusk//Dawn

My meta is mostly: Ux Control, Burn, Tron, Scapeshift, Affinity, Merfolks, Mono-red Goblins, UR Tempo, 4(5)C Zoo, etc.

I've also got 4 Eldrazi displacers and 4 Shefet Dunes.
Althought this list has been working for me, do you recommend any improvements (including a couple of Displacers or Dunes), also shall I remove the Cavern of Souls (it always appeared but rarely see it in the the winning lists (rarely it is worth it (either name it Angel or Humans), but for some reason it makes me insecure running without it). I tried to put 2 Displacers one time but it felt clunky (didn't do enought testing).

Attached: Lord All Mighty.jpg (640x467, 86K)

worldbreaker is nice but the goal of G tron is always putting out the strongest threat possible. Why play a "fair" threat like seer when you can just ramp into ugin or karn? Those cards will nearly always win the game by themselves.

In my opinion, green tron was actually the reason DS was even printed. Blood moon is a better card versus eldrazi tron, so I doubt that neutering it was the purpose of this new sideboard hate.

But people have complained for ages about turn 3 karn. That's what this new card is attempting to prevent.

Why is Kolaghan's Command expensive?

because it is played in jund

Well a store owner can obviously ban anyone he wants from his store and if some gets caught multiple times with counterfeits I assume that would happen.

Bloodbraid Elf + appearing in many Top 8 lists (similar to Collective Brutality) + being good

Sees play in legacy and modern and theres only 1 printing of it.

I just realized, damping sphere impacts bloodbraid decks a little bit, right?

He needs to play +1 (c) on the cascaded spell

As easy as it is to answer with Nature's Claim, I really like the fact that it can be jammed into anything as far as keeping Tron on it's toes, sorta like how gravehate and artifact hate is so varied.

Well, I wouldn't sell out anyone with fake cards unless they're obvious shitters. Not that I'd know anyway. From what little I've heard the last batch of counterfeits are good.

So in short, G tron is just better at assembling the Urza lands? What's stopping anyone from still going Eldrazi Tron with a green?

Everyone is talking "Tron-Killer" or "Storm-Killer", but DS is actually pretty good for slowing down decks that likes to cast lots of spell. It's probably a tad too slow for Affinity, but I can see a couple aggro deck getting slowed down by it. kind of like a less strict Rule of Law.

Are we the only board with posting still working?

>What's stopping anyone from still going Eldrazi Tron with a green?

Well, what are you going to cut? If you're playing colorless threats you are going to need colorless support cards. Take a look at a list and see what you could take away without badly hurting the consistency of landing a smasher, which is what the deck primarily wants to do.

Green tron accelerates faster and plays more unfair threats more quickly. Eldrazi tron is more midrange with more hate, but also less unfair.

>Merfolks
>Goblins

Welp your deck needs to pack it's bags

People do, it turns into Bant/RG etc Eldrazi.

In etron, playing non7cmc threats like the Eldrazi are your hedge; if you were to play Sylvan Scrying you'd probably want to run Ugin instead of Matter Reshaper. Stirrings is dope but with Etron you are a Chalice deck so 1cmcs and the eggs that accompany it hurt.

Alternatively, splash green for dorks and stirrings, see above.

>What are your favorite sideboard cards, and do you have any sideboard tech you'd consider "spicy?"
I used to put Spellskite in a lot of my sideboards (which is why I have 2-3 playsets). Now it's Nihil Spellbomb that goes in every other sideboard.

Attached: nihil_spellbomb.jpg (774x1032, 206K)

>What's stopping anyone from still going Eldrazi Tron with a green?
If you're playing Green, you can assemble Tron so much quicker that it's just better to drop a Karn or an Ugin and win the game.
Why play midrange creatures like TKS and Smasher with your 7-8 mana turn 3-4 when you could just play a threat that ends the game?

>that top bar
yuck

>I never got the "Counterfeit" meme
Yeah what's the appeal in paying $2 for duals for your legacy deck?

Not to mention your green-producing lands are already in short supply, fitting in Eldrazi Temples really stretches it

Is bogles actually a good deck or is it just the meme of the month? Before it won that tournament it was a fucking joke.

Attached: file.png (768x432, 621K)

>Before it won that tournament it was a fucking joke.
bogles hasn't been a joke for a few years. it is a good deck

If your meta is filled with Affinity, Burn (Deflecting Palm aside), and the like, it's pretty good.

If your meta is full of Tron, don't even think about it.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Checked a couple of list and E-Tron don't play the chromatic Star/Sphere and can cope with not having the urza lands thanks to Eldrazi temple. They feel like a midrange deck more than tron. Some lists don't even run Karn or Ugin. Can you really call yourself Tron if you don't run Karn?

I mean, New Ulamog is cool and all, but I feel like original Tron is way more threatening.

There's actually a player at my locals that's been dominating regularly with bogle for years, to the point where everyone has somewhat of an answer to it and hope not to face him. If it's a meme deck, it's a pretty strong one.

Luckely for me, the users aren't that good at piloting the Decks.

Both? And what is a good deck even, boggles is fine tbqh and it has received a few tiny buffs (people been trimming umbras for boon and cartouche)
speaking of which, if you run the gauntlet as Boggles you'll need those umbras for the Supreme Verdict for U/W, you'll need to outrace Storm, and you'll need to accept that Lantern windmill slams bridge.
If you ever blip on a meta-radar, back to nature is around the corner and even Burn can start running more DPalm.

Why the fuck did Gemstone Caverns blow up in price? I found my playset and it looks like I bought it years ago for like $5

Is this some mandela effect shit? Did I come from a different timeline?

Bogles hasn't put up consistent good results in years, and certainly hasn't dominated many top 8's. It always seemed like a "GOTCHA!" deck, being so forgettable that you could occasionally steal wins from better decks who forgot it existed.

((("""""Investors""""")))

Buyout sharks mostly. Card only had one printing and it sees some niche play in E-Tron and meme builds.

Because this game is fucking stupid
glad i got mine, though. sorry for anyone who needs one. FUCK spikes
to be fair the MOCS was almost all Jund

meme deck won a tournament. And that's what happens. Some meme deck wins a tournament, bunch of speculators buy out or raise the price of the deck.

Then the deck doesn't do shit for another 4 years, but price memory has been set, and people leave it at 30 dollars.

Has there ever been a deck that could completely change archetypes through the sideboard? EG dredge to jund, or 8rack to jund.

depends on the deck and the matchup, but I think many combo decks have done this before. storm turning into reanimator, or combo turning into a different type of combo.

Bitterblossom hasn't been but a niche sideboard card for years and it's still 35?

price memory, EDH and wotc only reprint at mythic
welcome to modern :)

Such is the power of the Jewish Spell (Level 4): Price Memory.

If Dredge could play through Rest In Peace I'm sure Tron can play through this thing. Don't worry, user

>If Dredge could play through Rest In Peace
idk what dredge you are talking about, but drawing cards until you find nature's claim or paying 1B for a 1/1 can't be considered "playing through" hate.

How is a $700 burn deck “budget”?

Attached: E9A6978A-6020-4616-86CA-420AA1FAF603.jpg (454x586, 33K)

Green stompy ft.Ghlata or g/r land destruction with bbe and ggd (no blood moon)?

get a job kiddo

What list are you looking at? Because it's definitely not one of our approved budget decks.

You're supposed to have all the fetches and shocks, goy ;)

Also the goldfish lists uses Scalding Tarn for some reason instead of Wooded Foothills. There's 0 blue and actually a Stomping Ground so it makes no sense to use Tarn for Naya Burn.
Substract 210$ from their listed price for the real ammount of shekels, like this mtggoldfish.com/deck/975459#paper

It's still 400 but way more economic than other tiered Modern decks besides Storm.

If you can consistently get ghalta out turn 2

is rest in peace the only thing stopping dredge from being tier 1/2?

The only thing stopping any graveyard deck from being T1 is the fact there are other T1 worthy graveyard decks running around and they all get significantly slowed by the same hate so its sideboard/space efficient for other decks to pack hate.

Nothing stopping Dredge or any other good graveyard deck. What's stopping them is that there are 3-5 of them.

Some people argue having tarns in the deck as to not give away what you're playing on turns 1/2 of game one if you tarn > go. It's okay(ish) reasoning if you already have the tarns, but nonsense if you're building from scratch.