How is this game?

How is this game?

Attached: Pen_and_paper_cover.jpg (446x577, 56K)

But really, the AGE ruleset isn't that bad. If you like the setting, go ahead.

Never played it but according to a friend who did, the system has potential but is ruined by a lack of balance and some stupid rules. It's been a while since we talked but I remember something about the armor system making full plate armor tanks virtually impossible to hit except by enemies who would basically one shot the rest of the team.

If I had to play a campaign in the dragon age setting I would probably use wfrp 2 and change a bit the magic rules. (And desu, I'd like to make a DA campaign, now...)

>Never played it but according to a friend who did, the system has potential but is ruined by a lack of balance and some stupid rules.

This was my experience as well. Ran it for a year or so with friends, and the broken rules only got more broken.

I've heard mixed things about the vidya. Is the setting any good?

It's a bit generic but quite good nonetheless

Is Fantasy age a improvement?

This is probably one of my favorite fantasy settings despite the third game being meh and the second one being shit.
Overall it's a generic fantasy world with humans/elves/dwarves but the creators paid a lot of attention in the details that it still manage to distance itself from others settings. The lore and timeline is also surprisingly elaborated for a video game.

And that's also how I feel about Mass Effect, Bioware is really good at writing and creating settings but kinda sucks at making games exploiting them.

At the one hand it suffers from the same bioware setting standards, and when you just play the game it feels like a dark fantasy without too much flavor. A lot of the more interesting stuff is in the codex.

In short the setting is:
>god made demons in the fade, which is an everchanging place. In the middle of it however is the golden city, which is like heaven. He then made humans, which he put on earth, which is constant, and separated from the fade by the veil. Demons are jealous of humans and mages have a connection to the fade (as well as everyone who dreams). They can try to invade humans since they are jealous of humans. In the earth are 5 trapped old gods. The humans started to worship the demons and they taught humans blood magic. The tevinter kingdom was ruled by blood magic kings that got told by the old gods to invade heaven and open the heavenly gate. To do so they tried to force their body into the fade (since dreaming only displaces your spirit) and try to open it for the old gods. This corrupted the golden city and turned the bloodmagekings into darkspawn.
The darkspawn dug into the earth on the call of the old gods and started multiplying and destroy the world. Then some humans found out drinking a mix with darkspawn blood would make them darkspawn lite which could sense darkspawn and kill them. They would become grey wardens. The gray wardens saved the world and now every couple of centuries the next dark god calls out to surviving darkspawn to get dug up and cause the next blight (darkspawn invasion). The grey wardens act as independent actors who can call upon everyone to give them aid with not even a king being able to turn them down.

Races:
Humans are the most plentiful. Orlais is not!France and the dominant force in the west. Ferelden is where DAO places. It is generic and under threat of orlais. Dwarves are friendly to humans but the darkspawn come from the earth so their kingdom which stretched under the earth got completely fucked, also they have a very rigid caste system. The elves are city elves who are second rate citizens and forest elves who think humans are dicks.

Just stopping by to let everyone who isn't aware know that the setting was just called The Dragon Age Setting, or the DAS, until someone went

"Huh. Thedas."

And that was that.

You're welcome.

... magnificent.

what about the idea that the golden city was black when they got there

but thats heresy oniichan

Uses the same broken core mechanic. It wants to be different from D&D, but still keep so close to D&D as to be almost indistinguishable. It ends up being a combination of all D&D's flaws without doing anything remarkably different. Best analogy I can think of is D&D 3rd Edition, with all the problems that entails.

1st level characters are hyper-competent to the point where it breaks the game, and combat is insane. Classes have far too much HP, the mage having only a small proportion less than the fighter, and armor works as damage reduction. At the same time enemy damage scales to character level. This means a warrior in a good suit of armor becomes basically untouchable, while out of the armor he becomes extremely vulnerable.

Mages can do literally everything the other classes do, but better. The fighter is limited to a one or two dice weapon + strength while the mage can do multiple dice of damage every turn, all the while healing himself, casting armor spells etc.

Overall it's a depressing game. It wants to be something other than D&D, but is too afraid to be anything other than D&D. The stunts are an interesting mechanic (if you roll well on a particular die you do an extra good move). But the execution is dull - doing 1d6 points of extra damage or moving your target 5 feet isn't really interesting in the long run. A more free-form move system would be interesting, to really make for some of the 'i jump on top of the ogre and chops its head off' badass moves the system tries to model.

t. chantry
The truth is that the elves did all the fade/veil bullshit by themselves, holocausting and dooming their own race to mortality..

you mean one Pride Demon did it

Possible, after all what difference it makes when real world and fade are the together?

not to mention that Solas means 'pride' in Elvhen, his best friend became a Pride Demon when summoned, and when you first interact with the main rift at his instruction, a Pride Demon comes through

genius desu

It was a perfectly serviceable generic Fantasy RPG game, but I honestly see no reason to use it over pretty much any other system

If you really want to play a Dragon Age TTRPG specifically, then I guess it's alright, even then I would just rather use something like Savage Worlds or GURPS