Worldbuilding 40k

AQUARIUS IV
Yorkshire Sector.

This world in the Imperium of Man is covered roughly 90% by oceans, and all landmasses are relatively small islands. Major export is Promethium, with ocean floor drilling taking up the bulk of demand, while the processing of blubber from native "Leviathans" supplements demands.

The peoples of the planet are a hardy folk, with most living their entire lives on warlike vessels. The PDF on Aquarius IV is a a great deal more capable than most in the sector. This is likely due to all criminals placed on vessels and hunted down for target practice for warships and submarines. Feral Orks also reside on this planet, clashing with the PDF on barely floating skiffs.

Attached: TurkFleetL.jpg (880x420, 56K)

Naval Combat has no place in 40k

i disagree

The second book in the Beast Arises has some naval stuff in it if your looking for inspro.

Surface navies exist on paper, but they're role is much more niche than it is in the modern day, only makes sense for PDF and other planetbound armies, and sort of clashes with the aesthetic of the setting
That said this looks fun

> The colloquial Low Gothic name for the planet is "Waterworld", and its inhabitants derisively refer to offworlders as "Drylanders"

Attached: waterworld.jpg (719x1080, 113K)

I had a sort of similar idea once for a planet. Ocean hive world that also harvested the local leviathans, with Maori inspired nomadic feral worlders living out on the sea and joining whaling crews, many of whom end up joining whaling crews. Was playing around with the idea of having been cut off by a warpstorm for a while, and the planet being struck by localized warp storms every now and then, with the hives using gellarfields stripped from the ships they settled there via, one or more hives actually being build around the original colony ships. Activating the gellar field before a warp storm strikes is often referred to as "battening down the hatches". The feral worlders use psyker shamans to navigate around the warp storms, or sometimes seek refuge in the hives. Was wanting to use it for the DH campaign I'm never gonna run, that would probably involve investigation into possible links between the leviathans and the warp storms. The hives themselves culturally inspired by Victorian London. Basically I was high on Sunless Sea, Dishonored, Sherlock Holmes and Moby Dick.

Of course there was also gonna be ghost ships. Probably ork pirates too.

>and sort of clashes with the aesthetic of the setting

Nah, just draw more inspiration from late 18th to early 20th century for ships and uniforms are you're golden. Make them huge clusterfucks looking something like a mix of ships of the line and dreadnoughts. Just like the regular imperial navy.

One of the feral ork clans calls themselves "Smokaz"

I particularly like early 20th century ships.

Other major export is fish. Lots and lots of fish. I hate fish. I hate this planet already. I hope every well explodes and floods the oceans with promethium so I can light all the dead fish on fire.

What's their fleet lineup? Do they only have destroyers and cruisers or do they have the full shebang, battleships and fleet carriers and all?

When the Departmento Munitorum comes knocking, what kinds of regiments do they send? Elite stormtrooper regiments trained in gorilla warfare? Space SWCCs? D-Day every day? Do they somehow ship entire ships to other worlds?

Attached: 120606121335-d-day-01-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg (980x552, 104K)

this threads gay

40k is for faggots

sage

Instead of tanks they have land ships.

Tons of somali pirate esque orks and a mythical dark eldar corsair who is only seen when the warpstorms rage

>and sort of clashes with the aesthetic of the setting
The way you make something not clash with the aesthetics is to design them to be in line with the aesthetics.

Well you've got you Air craft carrier type ships that would double as mobile cities, a destroyers and dreadnoughts, U-boats...

Then a few Goliath ships that have orbital defense batteries.

Fun shit mate.

Iron ships and Adamantine Men

Attached: Aquarius IV PDF.jpg (1200x675, 121K)

Artillery, marine fighters, and light infantry

Attached: 0727waterworld02.jpg (854x570, 86K)

>Be grunt in PDF
>Floating along the rest of the LCF (Local Defense Fleet) around one of the promethium extraction zones
>Our boatswain says that we have a couple of months tops until our localised warp storm hits
>We'll barely have enough time to extract everything bef

SLAP

"Ah!" I yell, feeling the burn from the slap on the back of my neck.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING PRIVATE MCLERTY?!"

I see a tall man with a moderately big, feathered hat glaring at me. I stand up immediately and snap into the salute I learned the first day on the ship.

"Making the best of the free-time the Emperor has given to me, Gunnery Sergeant, sir!"

Gunnery Sergeant MacNeils is the only man in this section of the Charcarodon that takes his duty seriously, and being also the highest ranking officer around he believes firmly that he has the sacred duty of slapping and backhanding discipline into us every occasion he has.

He then grabs the net-slate I'm using and glares at it, like he was expecting the slate to snap off a salute too, I'm actually surprised it didn't.

While trying to suppress a giggle at the thought, the gunny hands me back the slate with a stern face.

"What site were you browsing private?"

Channel IV Majoris is not exactly well seen among loyal citizens of the Imperium, so I need to give him a half truth.

"Just an online discussion forum sir, Administratum and Ecclesiarchy approved" I answered quickly and a bit embarrassed, because that fact was that they haven't bothered taking a look at it yet.

"Very well private, carry on, but dare to be late even a second when your guard turn comes, and you're stuck on latrine duty until the next time we dock! You understand private?!"

"Sir yes sir!" I yell in response, by the Emperor, the gunny looks like some character out of a holo-vid.

He then stays for a couple of more seconds glaring at me and storms off.

Such is life in the sea PDF.

Ork shipz iz best

Only when they'z painted properry orky.
Kaptin Fastloota haz red ship, he'z fastest kaptin of the sea.
Kaptin Biggaloota haz blue ship, he'z very lucky, and have many teeth.

Originally AQUARIUS IV was actually a hive-world when first reconquered during the great crusade.

However, during the year 885M33, a dispute between two sections of the adeptus administratum over the pronunciation of the word "lasgun" reached a peak, and incited a civil war across the world.

The conflict eventually escalated so much that xenos and heretic forces became entangled, and the Inquisition determined that exterminatus was the only solution, but did not have any melta torpedoes on hand since the administratum was non-functioning at the time.
A plan to alter the course of a comet was devised, and brought an inconclusive end to the conflict.

Hundreds of years later, the world had been transformed greatly due to the melting of the comet's remains, creating the world as we see it today.

it's pronounced "Lazz"-gun

There needs to be a reason why aircraft and orbital strikes can't be used much on this world. Maybe very strong winds and heavy global cloud cover that makes high altitude flight impossible. The only way to safely go from ground to orbit is at the poles where there are storm eyes which are relatively calm.

Is that with a hard or a soft A?

>There needs to be a reason why aircraft and orbital strikes can't be used much on this world.
Not really. Aircraft can't loiter forever, and orbital strikes aren't exactly commonplace.

Still helps to explain why naval combat is so dominant and means we could have ridiculously huge ships that won't get one tapped from orbit.

Orbital Batteries on the bigger boats.

I don't think even the biggest boats are big enough to have things orbiting them.

user meant "Anti-orbital" batteries / ground (sea) to space artillery
You dumdum

Them's fightin words.

"Wooden ships and Iron Men", That's a board game i think.

Attached: Battlefield1TurningTides-1.jpg (1920x1080, 391K)

Aircraft smaller than most void ships run the risk of being snatched out of the air by leaping leviathans. Since they resemble the large flying creatures that make up a portion of their diet.

Whats stopping them from eating ships then?

You're an evil man

The ships have defensive weaponry capable of zapping the leviathans until they go away, even the light energy lances that one could strap on a land/sea ship is capable of shooting burning spears of thousands of degrees, and no loving being like suffering such a burn.

Some joke that dryland is a myth

Attached: Battlefield_1_Royal_Marines_Assault.png (900x900, 945K)

What sort of regiments would come from this place?

> Ahab's Poons

A team of salty dogs with very large harpoon guns who specialize in finding, tracking, and taking down the largest beasties the galaxy's seas can spawn.

> Hive Innsmouth Deepsea Auxillary

Frogmen recruited out of the planet's abhuman population, most of which have webbed toes or fingers, throatslits that function as gills, and moist unblinking eyes adapted to see in the dark depths of the sea.

> Aquarius Aerial Detachment (Aka: "Seadogs")

Seaplane pilots recruited from skypirates and smugglers who have been arrested. You either join up or do time.

>Torpedo Riders

These crazy bastards load themselves into cutting torpedos that drill into the sides of ships, and they use that to board.