/gengen/ - Genesys General

Pew Pew Edition

>What is Genesys?
Released in November 2017, Genesys is a pen-and-paper generic system and toolkit by Fantasy Flight Games, using a refined version of the system presented by their Star Wars RPGs (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny). Its central mechanic is the Narrative Dice System, using pools made of specialized dice to create narrative results.
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/genesys/

((LATEST NEWS))
>Realms of Terrinoth, the first official setting supplement due out this April
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/9/realms-of-terrinoth/
>A preview of Heroic Abilities, a mechanic introduced in Realms of Terrinoth
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/2/heroic-feats/

>Player-made Genesys settings
pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

>Online Extras
- Fillable Character Sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/392866714544766976/genesys_character_sheet_fillable.pdf
- Fillable Setting sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/386612561115611137/genesys_setting_worksheet_fillable.pdf
- Online Dice Roller
genesys.skyjedi.com/
- Cheat sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/392867516583510017/0.9.5.pdf
- A PDF of something useless
sendspace.com/file/6b6bat
- Special Rules (From Star Wars to Genesys)
docs.google.com/document/d/1K0BVQxmZTMn8XFovHPCjubK7H-qZDWRSC9QR_2E683I
- Some new spells
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qy33uMm1FqQJPD8W-p5aXM5XHNwsU4126JgJ91LsIfE/edit#gid=644202127
- Generator for items, characters, etc.
afterseven.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/#/gen/pc

>Discord Server
discord.gg/3vNJa6t

>FFG Community Forums (check out the Master Resources post)
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

Previous Thread

Attached: gns01_combat.jpg (700x470, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzhH3Kk5inq9c3YtUVphQlVTY2s
youtube.com/watch?v=HrUvtdg-Mk0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How often do you use the “Experienced Characters” rule (p.44) for your games to get some extra starting XP? As much as I appreciate letting players build what they want, I really feel like it’s kind of a mistake to let them spend their starting XP on anything but Characteristics given how hard it is to raise those later. Even raising a dump stat from 1 to 2 I feel would be a better use of that initial pool than using the 20 XP for skill ranks or talents, but maybe that’s just me.

I get the sentiment that starting XP should be spent mostly on characteristics, since as you say, they cannot be easily augmented outside of chargen by design. The book actively encourages such. That said, I can see why the extra XP for "experienced characters" can only apply to talents and skills. Mechanically, you should only be able to use the base XP you get from your archetype to improve your characteristics because if you use the extra XP, that would just inflate characteristics higher than what would normally be possible for that character. This leads into why it makes sense with regards to the spirit of the rule. Just because your character is well-travelled and has been around the block a couple times doesn't mean they're automatically brawnier, more cunning or otherwise than they were at the start of their journey; by keeping the extra XP to skills and talents, it reflects the growth of their skills and abilities since they started.

Think of it this way: the "Experienced Characters" rule is basically giving you post-chargen XP at the start of the game, with all the rules that follow them. If you don't want dump stats in chargen, be more thoughtful about how you spend your starting XP on characteristics.

Right, I totally do agree the extra XP should ONLY be for skills and talents, though that initial race/species pool would have been better off as an “only for Characteristics” thing so new players won’t accidentslly gimp themselves. Maybe make it so that you have to use up your XP on Characteristics until you’re down to like 20, and THEN you can use the remainder on whatever. Regardless, I try to recommend using the Experienced houserule whenever possible because someone who carefully allocates their XP is probably going to be starting with only a few skill ranks and no extra Talents, the latter of which really can make a character concept work as envisioned.

Even if you're highly incentivized to spend most of your archetype XP on characteristics, that shouldn't stop you from buying up skills or talents if you want. Just give the disclaimer that
>You can spend your starting XP you get from your archetype to improve your characteristics, skills and talents
>Whatever XP you don't spend, you pocket for later and can spend whenever
>That said, I HIGHLY encourage you to spend whatever you can spare on your characteristics, as you won't be able to improve them after chargen without a T5 talent (or cybernetics if you're using them) (or some other special rules that let you change characteristics if you added them)

Attached: 1420775170897.webm (720x480, 2.38M)

Don't have my book by me atm but if it's anything like F&D Knight Level rules I'd avoid it unless you're doing a shorter game.

There's a smaller window for enemies to actually challenge players with all of that bonus XP right from the start.

I'm working on a Hack for the Genesys system, changing up a few things.

Combat turns are split into actions and reactions. Typically 3 actions and 1 reaction per turn.

Actions can be spent moving, attacking, preparing defense, casting.

Reactions include stuff like Raising a Shield, Attacks of Opportunity, Dodging, etc.

Typically, repeating actions comes at a detriment. Costing strain and adding penalties to successive actions

So you could feasibly attack three times in a turn, but each successive attack is going to become more difficult and incur a strain cost.

Buying skills is done through talent trees.

Spells are cast in parts with each part typically costing an action.

A typical fireball could be cast like this:
1. Prepare Evocation
2. Infuse with Fire
3. Shape into Projectile

The spell costs three actions, has 3 difficulty, costs 3 strain. Strain can be recovered through spending advantage on the check, but no more than the cost of the spell.

I've got 4 'magic schools' currently.

Evocation is a combination of attack and barrier.

Augmentation hasn't changed much but I did add a lot to it.

Transmutation is similar to Alchemy from full-metal-alchemist, at least in the effects and limitations, not so much in the drawing of arrays and shit.

Conjuration has changed a bit too.

I'm attatching the VERY alpha version of the document I'm putting together if anyone is interested. Most of the work has been done in spell modifiers, the rest I haven't properly written out yet.

Attached: Severance Playtest Document - a0.1.pdf (PDF, 317K)

Any particular reason you're changing the combat as much as this?

Mostly because I wanted to have a spell-casting system that allows a caster to risk spending several rounds preparing a monster spell without it feeling tacked on.

Like, bridging the gap between minute-long ritual casting and single-round spell-casting.

I was interested to see if it could work. I've run a few small playtests and it's gone incredibly well.

But, also, for shits and giggles.

But how do you handle moving between range bands or the overall abstraction of time?

Range bands are handled normally.

I almost always play on a grid map.

Genesys, and EotE before it, handles the two very well.

As far as time-per-round abstractions go, it doesn't change either.

Unless I'm totally missing something....

There is no flat "a round is six seconds, every time" rule. Time is different in different encounters. A round in a pitched bandit ambush is not the same as a round in a sniper duel.

Right. This isn't d20.

It hasn't caused problems. Rather than having 1 maneuver and 1 action per turn, you have three.

Maneuvers and actions are combined.

Different things have different action costs. Like how some spell modifiers cost 2 actions to weave into a spell.

Tackling someone after running to them only costs one action.

Martial characters will be able to pick up talents that allow them do things like run twice and attack with it only costing two actions. but others attempting the same thing would cost them three actions.

It also opens up the possibility of Talents allowing certain behaviors to cost no actions, or reduce the penalty for repeating an action.

Like, if someone is trying to build a fast fencing type character. They could pick up a talent that reduces the strain and difficulty of attacking multiple times on their turn. And grab a talent that allows them to take a free action to attack once per round. So they could move and attack three times.

But, there is also a reaction limit. Low level grunts can't spam attacks of opportunity. They get one per round.

Or you could use your reaction to boost your defense a bit that round.

I could see there being encounters where everyone has 1 less action per turn.

In most cases you'd keep the action rules the game gives you, but they're just scaled differently. But there may indeed be encounters where the party is at a penalty.
>You can still move around and breathe normally on the ocean floor thanks to the magic blessing the merfolk princess gave you, but the merfolk still move way better in the water than you do. During the encounter, using your second maneuver will cost one strain, regardless of how you acquire it.

The doesn't offer a solution for the magic problem: bridging the gap between long, ritual casting and quicker spells.

I wanted to hinder spellcasters. Make them less mobile. force them to choose between casting a full 3-action spell or moving and casting a less effective 2-action spell.

Since I am doing this for shits and giggles, I could run a few playtests using the standard action economy and see how things go.

Split the difference. Spells cost an action, modifying a spell costs meaneuvers?

I just meant in general, using the default rules.

Attached: tenor.gif (220x188, 30K)

Attached: 1487287512310.webm (532x354, 239K)

I'm making a hack.

I like a lot of what Genesys does but I don't like other things.

Spellcasters are too powerful.

I'm trying to level the playing field between magic-users and martial fighters.

I was not aware caster supremacy was somehow a thing in Genesys.

I've only run a dozen games or so, but casters have proven to be, in my opinion, overpowered.

Not by a lot. Not anything like D&D. But still too powerful.

Even with players not at all interested in min/maxing. In games far more focused on narrative than combat.

I tried making spell effects cost xp. That didn't really help.

I've been working on Severance as a hack for EotE since way before Genesys was even announced.

The magic system in Genesys was exactly what I needed as a foundation for my ideas for Severance.

Well, if it's any consolation, the magic rules are going to be expanded in Realms of Terrinoth. There's gonna be alchemy and runecasting and shit.

Attached: 1440651615281.webm (700x394, 1.2M)

I am super excited for that.

There's also gonna be something like powers from D&D 4e which I'm stoked for too. That might balance things out between magic and martial combatants.

In either case, Severance is gonna be something I work on in my spare time as a fun project.

There will be Heroic Abilities, a holdover from the Star Wars RPGs that is basically your character's super.

Attached: 1430104908774.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

That dudes form is terrible. He's all rigid, like a breadstick.

Could be worse.

Attached: 1419741267199.webm (832x444, 2.77M)

What kinds of careers are you guys putting together, if any?

Attached: 1326574322134.jpg (1100x1514, 304K)

Attached: 1363038936167.jpg (1024x601, 132K)

Probably means you're not straining them enough. Having run SW for years, 2 strain any time you want to do your big move is scary. Force Powers can be worse, but even then you have an opportunity to also be worse (plus, y'know, Morality costs).

Attached: 1405579374056.jpg (751x1101, 507K)

I'm confused by the emphasis people place on careers. Unless I'm horrendously misreading, they're just 8 skills with a loose title attached?

Conceptually, careers are the closest approximation Genesys has to "classes." Practically, you're correct: at its most basic, a career is a bundle of skills you can buy up at a discount compared to other skills. It's to encourage you playing to a particular career's tropes more easily while still allowing ultimately freeform character development.

Attached: 56d2a1fa6bfc3c3a6da4b1bf330cfb1e.jpg (1232x1500, 272K)

Glad I've not gotten it wrong. The emphasis on it is what I find weird though, even the Terrinoth splat coming up touts "new careers" as a feature, when really it's just new skills.

By "still allowing ultimately freeform character development," I mean that the difference between a career skill and a non-career skill is literally a 5XP tax for non-career skills.

It's all about concepts, my dude.

Third user here, I was making a Genesys like game a year or so before Genesys was announced.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzhH3Kk5inq9c3YtUVphQlVTY2s

The project is dead in a pre-alpha state now as I am enjoying Genesys, but you never know.

Also our guy Issac Author has some Sci-Fi world-building tips:
youtube.com/watch?v=HrUvtdg-Mk0

The first few games, that is exactly what was happening. I wasn't really satisfied throttling up the strain cost of things.

I'd rather come at the problem from a different angle.

>Here's eight or so skills you can rank up at a discount
>You get a free rank in four of them
>Go nuts
When putting together a homebrew, careers are probably one of the easiest things to put together (if you need them). Pick a bunch of skills, and link them around a theme. "New careers" is a bullet point in Realms of Terrinoth because it's the closest approximation to saying "new classes." Plus, having more material to work with helps ease off the guesswork for these sorts of things. That said, the default careers the core book provides are universal, even with a few setting-specific careers on the side.

Attached: 1444772851424.jpg (600x800, 278K)

Attached: 1513837619945.jpg (540x720, 75K)

Attached: 1481164279978.png (900x1200, 1.8M)

Attached: 1299895457407.jpg (870x1216, 1.01M)

Attached: 2dchh1x.jpg (600x375, 68K)

Attached: heri-irawan-sketch20171207.jpg (826x1168, 228K)

What are some good ways to ensure vehicle combat stays fun?

I want to run a Fury Road/Fast and the Furious/Speed Racer-esqe death race campaign in which the there will be a lot of vehicluar combat, how do I prevent it from getting stale?

Make sure it's not vehicle combat 24/7
Other than that, put some thought into the courses. What exactly could the players encounter?
Perhaps create a theme for an area and build off that (acid, hell, w/e)

Attached: __shadow_the_hedgehog_sonic_the_hedgehog_drawn_by_et_m__5854deeaa460f4ae20f4b8f1014c11e4.jpg (600x846, 220K)

Same way you keep regular combat exciting, I imagine: use Threat and Despair to throw a wrench in the plan here and there.
>An errant bullet shattered your windshield in such a way that it doesn't actually break. Unless you pull an Ace Ventura and lean out the window for the rest of the chase, you'll be taking a setback die on all driving test because you can't see squat.
Something like that.

Custom parts, special moves, and making the players feel weaker outside the car.

Attached: 1346836005506.jpg (733x1025, 689K)

If you want to go Fury Road, you need to realise that the players can leave their vehicles, board other vehicles, and move about their own vehicle. You'd need PCs driving the vehicle, an NPC or Cruise Control while other PCs are repelling Boarders and Boarding other vehicles for starters. Everything's on you to make the PCs realise that they have more options than Ramming the enemies cars.

Kinda stoked for realms just for the alchemy rules. I've got a couple setting ideas cooking that could really use them.

Like what?

Mostly harvesting resources. Premise is that dragons when they die form,big ass floating islands ripe with resources to be mined. Including materials that can be transmutated to a useable state.

That sounds pretty awesome. Are these islands dragon skeletons then? Or does their flesh turn to stone-sorta thing?

There will be full-on crafting rules as well in RoT.

Not wholly certain yet. Kinda just popped into my head one day. I,imagine the flesh and blood do turn into something like stone and metal overtime though depends how much is left too. I imagine monsters flocking to these as they're giant magical buffets picture a deadwhale on the ocean almost except they also can have whole towns on them.

I'm really liking how this sounds. If you have different colour Dragons, would their bodies produce different minerals? A firey dragon might produce not-oil, but a Green Dragon might be something different entirely?

Not him, but that's partly what I was thinking. Different carcasses lend to different materials and settings, if not entire biomes.

I'm thinking so, though more tied to elements. As different elemental dragons die their bodies become different boomed so one tied to fire may become a seething mountain in the sky whose blood is like molten magma while one tied to earth might become rolling hilldrifting through the clouds. I'm,also temptedtosay that as they breakdown different materials become easier and harder to find and they may be at different altitudes as well as magic slowly drains out before they come crashing back to the land as rich soil and hard stone.

Scales might be ground up for various things like a gunpowder analogue or even for use in potions.

Mechnical question here. Just got into the system last weekend and i've been reading through the book. Would I mess anything up to change the magic skills so instead of "arcane, divine, and primal" there are elemental skills? Like "Fire, Water, Thunder" and the like?

Have you read the magic rules yet?

Now that sounds awesome. So every now and then there's a chance that a giant Dragon-Volcano might come crashing down out of the sky and destroy the town? This is a brilliant idea user.

You might need to do a little refluffing. As it stands, Arcana, Divine and Primal have limitations on what one can do but the other cannot. You'd just need to change some ability types around so that they make sense. I can see Water being cleansing and purifying, Fire you could also cauterise with, but Thunder cannot Heal. That kinda thing, I didn't read the magic too closely since I'm not using it.

Pretty much, or really just having anything massive falling out of the sky. I'm thinking the more 'decayed' the dragon the less volatile the magic present but also less dangerous creatures thst might be roaming it. Also, thinking periodically it might just rain dragon scales letting folk know there's a carcass overhead,

Bump

That's pretty neat. Could the more decayed Dragons (and Dangerous Monsters) be in some way empowered by the dead Dragons materials? So a monster inside a Thunder Dragon (going with Elemental themes as you said above), may be empowered with Thunder abilities that it might not otherwise have?

Might be a thing is imagine its more different beasts flock to different environments and states of decay

>be farmer in east bumblefuck kingdom.
>minding my own business tending my crops.
>when suddenly
>its raining goddamn scales of a fire dragon and setting shit on fire everywhere.
>lose crops and house but get a shit ton of money from all the scales
>wentbetterthsnecpected.jpeg

So besides dragon guy anyone else got settings to share?

There's one guy building a hack of Vampire the Requiem for Genesys, and another guy doing a Starcraft hack.

I was considering trying to do a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 hack, but i'm pretty new to the system, and while I have a few ideas, i'm not quite sure how to handle the blades properly

What makes them so,special?

so in the game the characters are in pairs. The "drivers" (sort of like a pokemon master basically, the human part of the pair) and a "blade" (an artificial being born with a magic weapon, hence their designation as blades) the driver fights using the blades magic weapon and the blade channels Aether (mana) to the driver (through the weapon) so the driver can use magic and stuff.

In other words, human "drivers" have a walking, talking, human-looking sentient weapon that transforms when it's time for combat? Picture is Fairy Fencer F, for the record.

Attached: Fang_and_eryn.jpg (960x540, 81K)

Make it an NPC honestly and have them,have two stat blocks? One for human,mode and one for weapon mode?

Sauce?

Looks rather sick!

So you'd want two players, one as a Driver and another as the Blade? I'm guessing the Blade has a sassy personality and whatnot. If you just want to keep the players as Drivers though, emphasise spending advantage to get boosts on future tests and fluff is as Aether being channelled by the Blade into the Driver.

Dragon guy here again, so thinking keeping it simple for now and going with the four classical elements. Any idea what kind of effect each might impart on a weapon? Say fire giving vicious or some sort of aoe effect?

An air weapon can Pierce.
An earth weapon can either Knockdown or Sunder.
A water weapon is Defensive.
A fire weapon can Burn.

Thanks and Christ how did I not think about burn.

This sounds sort of like the Knights Radiant (spren/shard blades) from The Storm Archive.

The Stormlight Archive

Speaking of which, now I'm wondering what that would be like to run. Sanderson create very rule-bound magic systems. I wonder if a game during the height of the Knights would be a good setting.

What is it?

Stormlight Archive is Brandon Sanderson's magnum opus fantasy epic series, third of ten planned books just released in November, each is over a thousand pages long. It's the culmination of his "cosmere," an interconnected universe with distinct magic systems that are all bound by Investiture - cosmic mana that comes from shards of divinity.

In the Stormlight Archive, the Knights Radiant get their powers by bonding little slivers of that divinity (called spren), gaining access to different magical abilities that require Stormlight as fuel the more oaths that they swear. There's ten different orders of Knights Radiant, and ten different "Surges" - magical abilities - with each order getting access to two of the ten Surges. Nine of the ten orders get access to shardblades, which are spren who can shapeshift into weapons or shields as the knight they're bonded with requires. These weapons cut through flesh and stone with essentially no resistance - a person wielding a shardblade and wearing shardplate - magical power armor - is a force multiplier wading into battle like a hero from Dynasty Warriors, nearly unstoppable without overwhelming force or great planning or both.

I think it's a recipe to getting a GM lynched. Running knights radiant is a never-ending LG Paladin debate flamewar.

>canonically, in the case of Skybreakers and Windrunners
>Dustbringers are the "how the hell hasn't this guy fallen" example everyone points at

Attached: 1511542496333.jpg (751x973, 922K)

Does anyone expect a full Android sourcebook treatment, or is it probably enough to just use the core book's sketch version in conjunction with Worlds of Android?

FFG definitely wants to do more supplements beyond Realms of Terrinoth, and it was apparently mentioned somewhere that Android and Twilight Imperium are both on the docket.

In other words, all odds say yes: there will be a full Android setting supplement.

Attached: 1423589040177.jpg (600x840, 367K)

As I understand it, there's also already a book full of fluff for the Android setting. No rules whatsoever, but apparently it's a good read.

If there is an Android setting supplement, we'd be getting more stuff like a bigger armory, new archetypes and careers, and new subsystems or expansions to existing subsystems. If ever there is a splat that would give us expanded hacking rules, it'd be the Android book.

Attached: 1442390382088.jpg (500x800, 36K)

So whats the best way for me to get into this system?

I'm curious of it being so open ended for settings.

Read the book for starters. It comes with 6 example settings that, by and large, most games will have some overlap with. Swap a few names of numbers around to make things work easier for you and then you play. I'm currently running a dieselpunk WW2 with Demons, werewolves and metal gears, but I've pinched some example rules from the Sci fi guidelines for example. The consistent thing across games is the dice and the tone. Players are pretty respectable right out of the gate, you don't need to game the system for your hacker to be able to hack, or your fighter to crack skulls.

Alright, I'll see if any bookstore near me has the book then. For RPG books it almost always has to be physical for me.

I'd advise checking the pdf in the OP, I Don't know if the hard copy is available in that many places, I think it sold out pretty quickly, not sure when another run is out.

Makes me all the more glad I have two copies

Hard copies are notoriously difficult to get hands on, if you're expecting to just walk into a brick-and-mortar and find one.

Attached: 1460955137922.jpg (1920x1080, 369K)

What those other guys said. Call around first and you'll save yourself some time.