/bgg/ Board Game General - intense experiences edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Let's hear some stories /bgg/; got a good one about a game that came down to a final card, or roll? Victory by the skin of your teeth, or loss that ripped your heart out? Competition between players that got a bit heated and stabby?

Attached: 1518846905550.jpg (1584x1007, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69552/panic-station
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What the fuck is up with Veeky Forums and goblins recently? Is it just cause of the goblin slayer anime coming? Or did i just miss something more important happening? Chick in the pic ain't bad either. Short women are hot as fuck, pointy teeth or not

>stories
Had a guy come in 10 minutes after 11pm the other day who reeked like he lived in a garbage bin behind a liquor store. Told me his life story about how he got out of jail last week and found out his wife was in jail now, so he's decided to try to go clean so no more drugs and he's going to try to stay out of the reserve so he can his life back together and oh hey board games, far out man. You ever played that game thats like chess, but with lots of colors? I think i was fairly close to getting stabbed there.

Thoughts?

Looks interesting imo but I already own Inis and I don't know how much overlap there is.

Attached: monumental.png (1024x576, 1.04M)

I needed to do an anime OP, user asked for it last time

Is this a kickstarter? Cuz it looks like a kickstarter.

He sounds interesting as fuck, not scary at all. He certainly assumes you're not worth robbing and probably played a fuckload of improvised games in jail and has real interest. Stop assuming everyone in jail is literal trash user. There are innocents put there, etc. He could be your best friend in a year.

Yes it is.

Played Cottage Garden solo yesterday. Top comfy. Are there more comfy games that? What is gonna be uwe's third game in the trilogy? Something winter themed i guess?

>forces the idea that there was a woman leader back then
Into the trash it goes. Idc if you don't care about historical accuracy but Mulan is retarded-tier to include.

It's about the fall season, leaves falling on the forest floor. It's like CG but even more streamlined and there's another big difference I can't remember.

did you get raped while you were in?
did you like being the girl

I rate it a solid "Meh".

>historical accuracy
The big guy is Hercules. There are also Atlanteans.

No, i meant the one after the indian summer. patchwork isn't part of the trilogy

I wasn't in but I have a close friend who was sentenced to 25-life and was exonerated after a year by dna evidence (luckily). Fuck your memes. Innocent people get locked up every day and in a prison system as fucked up as the US's is it's honestly not funny.

Ya, but why force some whore into it? Mulan was nothing. Hercues and the Antlanteans make more sense than some dumb cunt who fucked about for a small amount of time and had a disney movie made about her.

oh fuck off and go be offended on behalf of others elsewhere, i know you need your moral outrage and self righteousness to sleep but really user

I want to thank user that answered my Fairy Tales query in the last thread (pic related) and just to ask - the expert version basically is the new version with +30 cards and different art, right?

Attached: Capture.png (1162x596, 49K)

Apart from you being a retard, the box art's main problem is how 'expected' it is. It is so generic that I meet it with a resounding sigh. From the poses onwards. But then again I noticed people actually like FFG's horrendous piece of shit abomination of a remake after remake so...

I've got about $40 in Amazon credit. Any reccomendations for games of that price or lower for Amazon employees to kick around for a while before shipping it to me? Preferably anywhere between 3-5 players, not too many cards, and not too heavy on luck.

Tzolkin

Looks interesting, but it's currently about $52. Thanks though.

Well I'd say Kemet but you said you dislike cards.

Expert rules. IIrc the version you'll find now is the second edition, with 110 cards- the base rules 80 + 30 which are added with the rest of the rules. I think there's an older, 100 cards version, but I don't know what exactly they changed.

It's not that I hate cards, but I obsessively sleeve all my cards, I'm low on some sleeves, and I don't want to bother/spend on ordering more because I have no where locally to buy them. That being said, I do have sleeves for the cards in Kemet. It is out of the price range though.

Are there any good (preferably co-op, but not necessarily) games that have a horror / investigation / slasher feel to them apart from Mansions of Madness and Betrayal and Deception Hong Kong?

Should I buy Arkham Horror or Arctic Scavengers? Disregard the theme please.

>tfw you really like In The Year of The Dragon but you know you'll never find anyone who we will want to play Suffering Simulator with you
There need to be more board gaming masochists. And I don't mean Talisman nights.

>$40, low luck, low cards, 3-5
How heavy?

It should be spelt B-O-R-E-D

Attached: norm saves the thread.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Isn't is supposed to be spelled not spelt?

Either are acceptable as past tense/past participle

You didn't answer my question.

Whenever I have a hard pick between two like that, find I'm usually happiest with the result if I pick the one that isn't a degenerate neo-marxist free love co-op circlejerk.

Anything is fine.

What's neo marxist about Lovecraft, tripfag?

No idea, I was disregarding theme like he asked.

Giving ideological attributes to simple mechanics is something that a marxist would do.

>there are thousands of people out there willing to spend over $300 up front for a Batman board game they've never played and will not get a chance to play for another year.

Numales and their capeshit

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-08-30-at-12.31.55.png (2039x1137, 1.11M)

Well only goes to 4p but Potion Explosion is really growing on me as the go-to gateway in my collection, though it's not so simple I can see outgrowing it (just becoming a bit more cutthroat maybe). Not sure what the pricing is at right now, because CMoN distributes it here in the states so it might be more. NY Slice is pretty light too, but a good one that covers a wider range of people.

Perfect example of why I hate Kickstarter board games.
>almost no information on the game
>only videos are of an elementary school creative project made work in progress of the game with paper sheets
>muh miniatures as a way to highly inflate the price
>didn't even bother listing stretch goals day one
>obvious that all the stretch goals were just cut content
>half of the clans are expansions you have to pay for, rather than an actual stretch goal that gives people incentive to push the project well above the money it needed to be funded
>despite the complete lack of information, people still threw them thousands of dollars day one

What a joke.

Panic Station
Not Alone

LO, I AM FOUND OUT

Having played Arkham Horror recently for the first time (and then doing quite a few runs afterward), I can't really recommend it. It feels really dated. The components and atmosphere are awesome, but a lot of the game mechanics are poor and unintuitive. It also has a terrible manual that does a really poor job explaining some of the more complicated parts of the game. The combat and some other elements are in need of streamlining. It is also blatantly a "core game" and by that I mean it is begging for expansions and it actually feels like an incomplete game without them. There isn't much to do on the game board itself because encounter cards are so horribly unbalanced in risk/reward. Matches often tend to pan out the same way too. The biggest weakness to Arkham Horror for me though is that no matter how a game goes, it will always be a boring grind in the last part of the game. It can take forever to close the game out and so it starts to become a huge chore, which is a shame because the first half of Arkham Horror is always tons of fun.

I haven't tried it, but I hear Mansions of Madness is basically just a superior version of the game.

'spelt' - while correct - would tend to make me think the poster is a former or currant occupant of Britbongistan. (The U.K.) Rather than say Amerifat or Eurofag. But that's just me.

Which board / card game comes closest to pic related in terms of feeling?

Attached: botns.jpg (700x297, 123K)

>love Blood Rage
>really want Rising Sun
>it comes out this month
>look into the differences between the retail and kickstarter version
>have to pay more for less, basically
>lose all interest in the game because I refuse to pay scalper prices for a second half copy of the kickstarted version on eBay
SO many board games recently have gone down this exact path for me. I don't want to mindlessly back stuff with no guarantee that I'll like it, but I also refuse to pay more for a highly inferior version of the game once it does come out. It sucks being punished for not being a mindless drone.

Thanks, watched some videos in the meanwhile and I think I'll skip all Lovecraft related boardgame stuff in the future.

>Which board / card game comes closest to pic related in terms of feeling?

Pic related. Or are you expecting a serious answer to an all but useless post?

Attached: Golf Tee Game.png (300x300, 88K)

Can you expound a bit on the Panic Station?

>It sucks being punished for not being a mindless drone.

How is avoiding an over-hyped mediocre game 'a punishment'? Nothing I've seen indicates that Rising Sun is anything more than a 'Meh'-tier game with a lot of nice looking minis. Other than buying for the minis, what revolutionary game play are you missing out on by not owning it?

Have you looked at all into Mansions of Madness? That game seems to get universal acclaim. I've been considering picking it up because I really want a coop game for my friends. Gloomhaven is too expensive (and I hate how kickstarter games like it have their content dispersed so much if you didn't back the best version)and it is hard to find good 4 player coop games. I'm thinking of trying out Mage Knight Ultimate Edition. Has anyone played or heard of it?

Nah, it's scenario driven and shallow as a pond.

Is Chaos in the Old World the best assymetrical game?

>Can you expound a bit on the Panic Station?

It's a semi-cooperative game with hidden traitor mechanics. Uninfected humans want to find and destroy 'the hive'. Meanwhile the parasite player wants to infect as many humans as possible in order to save the hive.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69552/panic-station

Are you referring to Mage Knight?

Mansions of Madness

STEEV isn't a commie, he's just salty that they dumbed down XCOM to make TI4; this makes him hate all co-ops.

Attached: purge.jpg (1066x918, 265K)

ms. steev tho, wewlad

Attached: tfw game nite with mrs steev.png (1000x709, 160K)

Any good Arabic / Middle East themed games? So far I've got Five Tribes, Oasis and Jaipur (that's Indian I guess) on the list, none of them seeming particularly good save Jaipur... oh and Istanbul. Anything else you'd recommend?

Century Spice Road
K E M E T

Mysterium or Dixit?

mysterium but the polish version

So I was thinking of getting Race for the Galaxy but reading about Fairy Tale ITT got me thinking. Should I still pull the trigger on RtfG? Or even this dubious Arctic Scavengers game?

Attached: soundbites.jpg (500x665, 155K)

Race is somewhat dated and awkward. It has some flow issues and really needs to be updated.

Get Arctic Scavengers. It's got to be good for that one user to get so butthurt people enjoy it.

I'm starting to feel like Jump Drive was the update; streamlined it down, plays stupid fast. It's missing some of the crunch but it it's better at 3-4 and it's not like Roll was something I would break out when I wanted heavy gaming anyhow.

Don't really go on Veeky Forums much, let alone /bgg/, but what are your collective thoughts on board games that take heavy inspiration from video games, i.e. pic related?

Attached: Shootin'Ladders.png (455x399, 423K)

didn't know about Jump Drive but yeah that's not what I'm looking for in a Race reboot, I want smoother play but much heavier- I mean the heavy is literally the thing that Race has going for it over Roll.

I won't be surprised if they do a 2e; the Race family is so popular it'd sell easy enough. I think it's easier for most designers to strip down, especially if they're looking to clean up flow; doing it while keeping a game with more moving parts? That sounds like work

>collective thoughts
Oh no, you're in the wrong place for that; though if a game is good, who gives a shit where the theme came from?

Attached: 1518847942870.png (864x899, 296K)

>you're in the wrong place for that
O.K., fair. Idk, I only ever got to play that game once back in high school and loved the shit out of it, but it seems really hard to find in stores. I was just wondering if it fits into some kind of "niche" that's generally looked down on by avid board gamers.

So I'm considering teaching my family to play Secret Hitler.

Some are pretty good. The Doom game from a few years back was a pretty fun dungeon crawler for example.

The Starcraft board game is also pretty good, but has horrendous set up time.

Care to elaborate?

theme is utterly meaningless.

one of the best most cutthroat pure euros I've played is Pie Town.

unless under that gay-ass pun rests a really solid engine with good modern board game play it can kiss my ass. It looks like something mass marketed for normies who know they want something more than monopoly but haven't discovered there are mechanically good games, and it's not about just re-remaking monopoly with a Doomâ„¢ theme.

Basically it looks like shit and even worse, like part of the problem. I honestly don't even see how that has fuck-all to do with vidya either. I think you might be retarded, have you asked your doctor to check?

Should be a fine social deduction game with a bunch of non-gamers. No doubt it will take a few rounds for them to get into the flow of it. I remember when taught one night werewolf to my family and it took them a while to realize that this was a board game where you need to lie to each other.

So compare and contrast Secret Hitler, Werewolf and Love Letter if you would?

They all are social deduction, you need to lie and ... what else?

>implying the justice system really enacts justice
>implying anyone with a not instantly negative view of excons is some kind of sjw
is it /pol/ leaking again or are you just a retard?

>other things about it are retarded
>so your point of why it's retarded is retarded
I can't understand this post at all.

your the one butthurt over not valuing street-hobo ex-con as a person

Arkham horror lcg is exactly this

I did by saying I wasn't in. Don't skip class, underage user. Reading comprehension is important in the real world, believe it or not.

Are there any good (preferably co-op, but not necessarily) games that have a horror / investigation / slasher feel to them apart from Mansions of Madness and Betrayal and Deception Hong Kong that are not an LCG?

>Reading comprehension
You can enjoy being the girl without going to prison you know. It's pretty racist of you to think all genderbenders have done time.

>love BR
Already know you're retarded.
>really want RS
Yep, total retard.
>bitching about being a retard and how retarded it is
lol go to sleep

I wouldn't lump love letter in with them at all.

Werewolf is much more random than secret hitler. There is zero strategy in werewolf during the night phase. Switch random peoples cards, look at random peoples cards, ect. I like secret hitler more because it does not have those random elements. I will admit that werewolf will have more exciting moments because of that, but I am very tired of playing those types of games anyways.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is better than those other options imho

>lol cons suck
Good talk, user.

There are some Sherlock Holmes games that claim to be this but I haven't personally played them. Tragedy Looper could be in the vein of what you want as well.

Games live or die based on their mechanics and replay value. A game that has a theme that fits with and enhances the mechanics is that much better. The source of theme is irrelevant. That said, way to many games with shit mechanics have been sold based purely on the original theme / intellectual property and sadly more than a few of said 'Shit-tier' games have come out of the vidya industry. Still, games like Doom, Gears of War, X-COM, and others have bucked the trend and been good to excellent in terms of their mechanics.

Good waste of dubs, bro

actually got a bro up for 40 solid back in Indiana

it's getting butthurt on Veeky Forums that's gay

Attached: tfw you read this in my voice.png (480x360, 76K)

Kek! The repeating appearance of my 'Warhol-esque' "artwork" here makes me smile.

There's a place in Hell for those who can't crop their .png files correctly...

Attached: Place in hell.png (257x290, 119K)

You made it for me, it's got a place of pride in my reaction face folder

Attached: quality.jpg (500x424, 35K)

Ended up getting into the city league as an official venue for board games last week, and finally got in a copy of the game that is the league game. So I open the box all excited and find 9 cardboard sprues with like, one of the most boring presentations for a game i've seen recently.

Alright, so maybe it will be a great game! nope It's got a mensa seal of approval on it too! Fuck was this game boring though. And I gotta push this for the next 6 weeks.

Anyone find this game fun? Did I miss something about it maybe? Do i need to have like, not stupid players who are actively planning at all times just to make it better?

Attached: pic1418335.jpg (630x630, 84K)

I'm glad you enjoyed the pic. I'm tempted to send your image to my boss, but he'd stab me via an email attachment if I did. So... It might be worth it.

I want to publish my own boardgame. How would I go about this? Is kickstalker basically you're only hope?

It's boring. When the game was at the top of the hype, I visited a friend in another town. He had the game. Some of his friends came over so we could all play it. They were completely enamored with it. Thing is, they only play hyped games and light-to-medium games.

>If I put TREE next to OTHER TILE I get something that's so cool

... was essentially why they liked it. Also, hexagons. Gamers go mad for hexagons. Kind of like when tech geeks hear the word "blockchain". "THIS IS THE NEW REPLACEMENT FOR GOOGLE DOCS - IT HAS LESS FEATURES AND IS INFERIOR IN EVERY WAY EXCEPT BLOCKCHAINS DID YOU HEAR THAT BLOCKCHAINS".

Castles of Mad King Ludwig was the same game but better.

Do you want to publish it or get it published?

>I reckon it's spelled