/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Uppity Knights Edition
>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
How does your party deal with nobles and other individuals of power that look down on them? Murder them with swords, or wit (and then swords at a later date)?

Attached: 1519578351536.jpg (1280x1462, 315K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Sajxjt5Z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Our party leaves them alone because 90% of the time murdering nobles just leads to a power struggle and our characters go to prison or get executed

We mainly just take other work. Helps that there are a lot of bandits and orcs kicking around.

Burn his crops, salt his fields, marry his daughter off to a foreign power.

Does anyone used any homebrews to alter combat?

I was thinking of making GWM's Power Attack a normal option and making more things like casting spells in melee and getting up from prone provoke AoO.

Attached: 6d5bf07a4821d246cfd10137db853279.jpg (474x516, 79K)

Befriend their sons/daughters, because my elven lifespan will ensure I outlive almost any enemies I have without having to lift a finger or draw their ire.

They just kind of deal with any unfriendly nobles unless those nobles explicitly use power against them. Then I imagine they'd act depending on how important the noble was.

I use that fighter homebrew that gives battle manoeuvres to every fighter

This. No good comes from messing with those who usually hire us to fix their problems. Just mutter under your breath when you're out of sight, and overcharge them for expenses once you've retrieved their trinket from the jaws of a beast that would kill whoever else they would send at it.

If the players charge and roll well enough on the attack I let them add another weapon die to the damage. If my players come up with cheeky or clever maneuvers, I try to dictate what rolls they'd have to do to make it really work. To balance out classes with actual maneuvers, they just straight-up don't have to try as hard to make them work.

At one point our party stopped at an inn for the night, only to find out that some smug asshole noble had bought out the entire place for himself. I fucking hated that guy, but as a paladin I unfortunately couldn't justify fighting him just for being a dick. Luckily we ran into him later and ended up killing him because it turned out he was a shapeshifted slaad, so it all worked out.

Attached: 68192936.jpg (302x235, 25K)

Ranged attacks against prone enemies within 5 ft. are done at advantage. Gangland style.

Oh, flanking and most of the action options given in the DMG.

Attached: S1939-lg.jpg (512x400, 69K)

Where is this? I would really like it for my own games. I felt the baseline fighter should always have used superiority dice.

"Follow the path of the righteous, and ye shall be rewarded by kicking the asses of smug dickwads."
Paladin Psalms 3:12

Do you think Fifth Edition needs a Ninja class or subclass, or do you think it's covered well enough by existing Rogue and Monk options?

Attached: a3da7cf968ab7a238d131c4b8dfb49f7.jpg (840x1200, 98K)

I want to make an aristocratic Hexblade thief who wields two knives and wears very fashionable silk clothes. How do I make this work?

Attached: Throwing Off Kimono.gif (500x246, 1.68M)

What changes would you implement for 5.5e Veeky Forums?

Attached: Fighter revised.pdf (PDF, 1.55M)

Lady Eboshi is an aristocrat NPC with levels in some kind of fighter. Probably battlemaster.

Shadow monk is basically a ninja without being directly called one.

It's covered well enough. Try and make classes like that which are already covered and you run the risk of making the Pathfinder Mistake.

Anons, I'm building a world for my own gaming enjoyment. Can I get some feedback on the races present by continent?

*Daggerland (Main Continent)
>Humans
>Minotaurs
>Cogsoul (Competent Tinker) Gnomes
>Mountain Gnomes (Dwarves)
>Forest Gnomes
>Haffuns (Rabbitfolk)

*Hordeland
>Hobgoblins
>Goblins
>Gremlins

*Isle of Catastrophe (Mournland Mad Max Australia)
>Ratfolk
>Junkers (warforged expies)

*Dark Continent (Pulp Africa)
>Hutaakans (Slaaneshi necromancer jackalfolk)
>Gnolls
>Fennekin (fennec-folk)
>Sun Elves
>Gorgons
>Kobolds
>Tondi (orchid mantis thri-kreen)

*Gloomlund (Sylvania expy)
>Dhampirs
>Shadar-kai
>Fetches (half-ghost)
>Ghuls (half-ghoul)
>Mortif

*Ryutochi (China/Japan mash-up)
>"Lungborn" (Dragonborn based on Lung Dragons)
>Kitsunes
>Tanuki
>Oni
>"Nekomusume" (tigerfolk)
>"Grassblades" (militant rabbitfolk)
>Wukong (monkeyfolk)

*The Unexplored North
>Gulons (wolverinefolk)
>Goliaths

*The Moon
>Moon Elves
>Netherborn (warforged expies made from stillborn elves)

*Outsiders
>Half-Hobgoblins
>Half-Gnomes
>Kangaroo Ratfolk

Multiclass into Rogue 2 or 3 (might I recommend Swashbuckler as the subclass?), and put the rest into Hexblade. Background: Noble.

>posting anime
Welp, thread ruined. Better start a new one.

Shadow monk IS directly called a ninja, read the flavor text.

That's definitely true, but I'm not trying to BE Eboshi. Just someone with her ruthlessness, flair, avarice, willingness to exploit supernatural beings for power, and maybe also underlying humanity.

Why Hexblade? It sounds like you mostly want Rogue, maybe Arcane Trickster if you want a bit of magic thrown in.
Sorry no one likes your thread, PF-san. Maybe next time, yeah?

Too many -lands. These are continents, not countries. They should just have a single word name.
Humans should be in more places. Each continent has a different 'Common' tongue, that can be based off the dominant culture.
Pretty good mix of races, make sure to tell the players what races are for PCs. Maybe too many animal races.

Attached: Scalie_household.png (900x1265, 1.78M)

Making feats a core part of the rules and implementing them alongside ASI as opposed to having them be an either or choice.

Make maneuvers a normal part of the game that anyone can use, but that fighters are generally better at.

Make casting a spell in melee provoke AoO and require a concentration check if you get hit. Additionally, have concentration check DCs scale based on the level of the spell. Lastly, add concentration checks for whenever you attempt to cast other spells while concentrating on a different spell, with the penalty for failure either breaking concentration or fizzling the spell you were just trying to cast.

No need to hide, pathfinderfag. We don't like trolls making the core thread with an anime OP to spite us. Include anime if you want, but quit being a shit about it.

In that case, more or less do exactly what you just said. You've already got the class you wanted, your kit, and the general personality picked. I'd take one of the knives and replace it with a rapier if it were me, but that's you. I let my players use off-hand weapons to add +1 AC against melee attacks, maybe that can help you if you're concerned about a low AC if you just wear silk clothes.

Buff Ranger and Sorcerer, especially tweaking Ranger progression.

Holy furbait, Batman. Also, don't you think that you have far too many races to give unique descriptions to the culture and lifestyle of each? I mean you've got a veritable kitchen sink of everything four-legged running around, wouldn't they mostly share the same culture with a few minor exceptions?

You'd either have to make feats a lot weaker, or introduce major and minor feats, because if you do this you'd have to design monsters for the feats that you anticipate everyone will take, and if they don't take the feat then they'll have a hard time keeping up, leading to people deeming the feat as a "trap option".

on the spells provoking AoO, that'd make stuff like misty step pretty pointless.

Continents aren't -lands, countries are. Continents are named after very small, specific shit. Asia after the Aegean sea, Africa because of carthage, Americas because of the cartographer who mapped the place, Amerigo Vespucci and so on.

>Lastly, add concentration checks for whenever you attempt to cast other spells while concentrating on a different spell
Wait, isn't that how it already works?

This is the worst thing I've seen all day.

Attached: the fuck am i seeing.jpg (1600x1200, 261K)

>Eldritch Knight
>Wield greatsword for attacks
>Drop greatsword (free)
>Grab shield (interaction)
>Summon longsword (bonus)

Other way around:
>drop longsword (free)
>stow shield (interaction)
>summon greatsword (bonus)
>attack

Does this work?

>gnomes
Yikes.

Otherwise a lot of these ideas are neat. I like the idea of grassblades, and the name itself is good. Are your ratfolk like skaven, or are they more realistically cuddle-buddies like actual rats? I think there are too many animal-folk, but otherwise you've got a lot of unique things.

Attached: 1476050246237.jpg (551x551, 88K)

Opportunity Attacks are very underutilized, in my opinion. My group uses a house rule to make them more common, so that actions like using an object, stabilizing a dying creature, or picking up an object from the floor can all provoke Opportunity Attacks from creatures in melee range.

Attached: fc92fec4f3eb0e65108e4a6c41789fcf.jpg (1000x1489, 550K)

No, and it shouldn't work like that either.
If you have a spell up and cast fireball you don't have to make a check to keep that spell up, it'd be stupid if you did.

I feel you have way too much stuff here. I'm no expert myself, but I suggest that you create a more focused concept for a campaign and create what you need from there. It'll make it easier to come up with ideas for stories, politics and quests for your players to get involved in and to create an identity for your world.

You need an action to don or doff a shield, so neither work.

Concentration
Some spells require you to maintain concentration in order to keep their magic active. If you lose concentration, such a spell ends.

If a spell must be maintained with concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. You can end concentration at any time (no action required).

Normal activity, such as moving and attacking, doesn't interfere with concentration. The following factors can break concentration:

Casting another spell that requires concentration. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can't concentrate on two spells at once.
Taking damage. Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher. If you take damage from multiple sources, such as an arrow and a dragon's breath, you make a separate saving throw for each source of damage.
Being incapacitated or killed. You lose concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated or if you die.
The DM might also decide that certain environmental phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while you're on a storm-tossed ship, require you to succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell.

I like this, but for Samurai it lists "Aggressive Attack", but has no details for what that is.

Attached: 1520672901562.jpg (640x360, 37K)

>grab shield (interaction)
>stow shield (interaction)

Attached: qarth.jpg (350x307, 28K)

Balls.

Can you bond a shield as an Eldritch Knight?

I was just about to ask that
Maybe it's the barbarian's reckless attack?

>Too many -lands. These are continents, not countries. They should just have a single word name.
Names are one of the areas I struggle with, but I definitely agree with this point.

>Humans should be in more places. Each continent has a different 'Common' tongue, that can be based off the dominant culture.
Don't agree with this point. I'm sick of the Gygaxian cliche that "humans have lots of different cultures, other races are monocultural". This isn't a humanocentric world, so they can just be one faction.

>Pretty good mix of races, make sure to tell the players what races are for PCs. Maybe too many animal races.
All of these are potential PC fodder, it depends on just what the plan is for the campaign - something set on the Isle of Destruction is very different to something that's all about traveling the world for gold and glory.

Each continent is grounds for its own "style" of campaign, so I only need to worry about the races that are relevant to a given campaign.

Like I said, I suck at naming. I'm definitely interested in renaming these things.

I figured gnomes overlap enough with dwarves and wood elves that it was time to try giving them a chance to shine. See if they felt better when they weren't stepping on the other races' toes.

The ratfolk are one of the "Good Guy" races. They're friendly, sociable and loyal friends... so long as you're not a hobgoblin, because they've been warring against them ever since they existed.

I don't have to worry about my players; I don't have any. I'm making a world just to see if I can do what they did to make Faerun, Eberron, Athas, Greyhawk, Mystara, and so forth.

>tfw thinking back to my monk from older editions
>stunning fist the boss
>he's forced to drop his weapon
>if he attacks with his fists he triggers an AoO from everyone around him
>if he attempts to pick up the weapon he triggers an AoO from everyone around him
bully was real

>this isn't a humanocentric world, so they can just be one faction
If you feel that way about humans, you'd actually be better off by just removing them. Humanity has that same Gygaxian thing you hate baked in for a lot of players; if you just get rid of them you lose a lot of that potential problem.

>naming
Study actual maps and just take names you like. Or go the route of Glen Cook and pick random names that sound like they're translations of an actual name. Such as two cities in the Black Company named "Lords," and "Roses," respectively.

>overlap with dwarves and wood elves
Oh fuck me, those aren't on the list. Nevermind then. If you're gnomes aren't the cringe WoW types and they replace wood elves and dwarves to be a sort of creative pseudo-fey, then have fun.

>ratfolk are one of the good guy races except against hobs
A good idea. Experts in subterranean warfare? Or are they swarmers?

Attached: I7uWybn2BXo.jpg (1800x1278, 198K)

Cool that you are taking some feedback.

>Gygaxian
I thought that was Tolkien-esque. But Narnia also has humans everywhere. is it all the Inklings (not game, the english lit. group) fault?
I have no idea who actually started this...

what potential problem is a player going to have with human NPCs not being widespread? As long as they can play as one, they're not going to care.

Oh shit I’m sorry
I guess that accidentally got deleted. I’ll add that back in when I get home but that won’t be for like 5 or 6 hours.

Good stuff

Attached: sorry for what.jpg (401x349, 37K)

If you come up with a universal human culture, you are eventually going to have to pick one based on a real-world culture. Frankly speaking, removing them and removing the temptation may well force a player who just wants to be John Fighter the Everyman to actually look at what your world has to offer instead of going with a standard choice because they're afraid to see what's new.

You have so much choice here, your setting would actually feel more unique by removing humanity. It feels like they're a forced option for people who want a safe pick; like how Soldier 76 was in Overwatch for those people too afraid to play something that isn't Battlefield.

Thanks anons. Arcane Trickster is obviously the "correct" choice, but I've not got much interest in Mage Hand shenanigans. I wouldn't like wasting class boons on benefits I don't want to use.
I think Swashbuckler multiclass is a good shout.

That's why you carry a side arm.

I should mention that, using our house rule, taking the Disengage action prevents Opportunity Attacks of all kinds. It was intended to make disarming more of a big deal, but I think it may have buffed it a little too strongly.

Attached: DXnPD6oX4AM2vTJ.jpg orig.jpg (3474x4096, 747K)

>If you come up with a universal human culture, you are eventually going to have to pick one based on a real-world culture
why is this only a problem for humans and dwarves or elves?

If that's the only part of what I said that bothers you, then I guess in the end it doesn't matter that much. I do still think that you're better off getting rid of the safe option, though.

If I have extra attack can I throw 2 handaxes while still having my shield equipped? If so I will have just my shield equipped at the end of my turn?

>Oh fuck me, those aren't on the list. Nevermind then. If you're gnomes aren't the cringe WoW types and they replace wood elves and dwarves to be a sort of creative pseudo-fey, then have fun.
Sorry? I don't understand why you're making the first half of this statement.

I can elaborate on the gnomes and the elves if desired.

The ratfolk are expert tekno-scavengers and guerilla warriors.

It's mostly a D&Dism because Gygax really wanted to keep humans viable; that's why only humans could achieve unlimited levels and take every single class in AD&D.

Not the user you've just been debating, although I do share his opinions. I value the suggestion, but I don't actually mind including humans in the setting, I just don't want them to be everywhere and doing everything so as to make the world more "grounded in reality".

If you're holding one at the start of your turn, yes. But your hand will be empty at the end of your turn so you can't do the same on your next turn unless you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat which allows you to draw two weapons per turn.

But you could ask your DM to allow it. It's not really OP.

Sure, but item interaction rules only let you do this on your first turn. I.e.:
>turn one - throw axe, draw a new one, throw
>turn two - draw ax, throw

Actually make balance changes to classes rather than pretend new archetypes will fix things. Especially if the devs believe 5e's going to last decades.

>because if you do this you'd have to design monsters for the feats that you anticipate everyone will take
The game is already like this despite feats being 'optional'.

Well, the last "individual of power" they spoke to was an adult blue dragon. The party's bard decided to go speak with it alone.

>And then they fucked

She got fucked. Tried to renegotiate the deal the dragon gave the populace of the local town ("Find and deliver me my stolen treasure and in exchange I will not murder everyone in town"). She knew who had the treasure and tried to convince him to go find it himself.

He wasn't having any of it and only saw it as an attempt to renegotiate the deal, so he lightning'd the bard and she failed all 3 death saves.

Unfortunately nobody in the party was prepared to rescue her so they had to leave her, but they did retrieve the body later after a series of convoluted events that killed the dragon.

Now it's just a matter of finding someone to revive her before 10 days are up.

You can draw a weapon as part of your attack action. That's a limit of one per attack action, so having extra attack doesn't bypass that.
For the second handaxe, use your object interaction to draw it.

Or just throw two fucking handaxes because 70% of DMs won't know about this retarded rule and any good DM who's in the remaining 30% who does know won't care.

Buff ranger,monk, and sorcerer. Nerf wizard, GWM fighter, and Bard.

Remove magic and dragons, add power armor and more dinosaurs.

>Nerf wizard
This

Alright thanks.

Yeah he either doesn't care or doesn't know since he has never brought up anything about weapon swapping, I just didn't want to be abusing anything.

No you don't, the game's designed around no one having feats and you having a +3 in your main stat.

How would you even buff Monk? They’re not bad at all. Any buffs would make them overpowered because they already deal slightly less damage than full martials while having way more options than martials do.

>more options
lol, no they don't, they're stun bots and that's all they are.

>the first half of the statement
When you said the gnomes were supposed to replace dwarves and wood elves, I checked back to see if the latter two were on your list. They aren't. Which I honestly approve of.

How the fuck does CR work in 5e? 4 of our players beat Strahd embarrassingly easily at Lvl 7. I mean I know we have a cleric with sunlight and moonbeam fucked his escape but Strahd is CR 15 and only dropped one of us who was immediately brought back up

...that can ignore battle lines terrain and walls. They make the best Mage Slayers for a reason.

To be clear, the third post says you can continue to throw two handaxes every round.

Vampires are very over represented with their CR because of being able to spam Charm and mind control people. Bringing in radiant damage drops their CR by 3 alone, on top of them having sub par offensive stats to begin with.

I haven't played the strahd module, did he have any summons or allied monsters?

Depends entirely on how the DM plays it. If Strahd wants to fly away from the party and lob Fireballs all day, there's not a whole lot you can do. If he gets into melee and stays there, it's possible to wreck him.

My own party one-turned Strahd when he decided to be cheeky and melee someone for a change. Turns out his reaction move doesn't work if he's grappled, so he can't escape outside of his own turn until he's turned into mist.

I just reached level 8 on my Fighter and I'm debating how to spend the level. I can multiclass into Barbarian, as my Strength is maxed, but that would entail downgrading to medium armor and I only have 10 Dex, so my AC would suffer. I like the flavor of it, as I think Zealot Barbarian is pretty appropriate for an avid worshiper of Dol Dorn.

Failing that, I'm not sure what to spend an ASI on. Tough and Brawny would both be good options, but I also think Prodigy could be fun. I'm not going to take PAM because it doesn't fit my character, and I already have GWM. I was also debating grabbing Resiliency (Dexterity) just because I tend to get by fireballs and lightning bolts a lot. Failing all of this, I could always just invest two points into Dexterity or Constitution.

Are there any options that would just straight up be a bad idea?

I think the appropriate rebalance would be to keep the amount of spells but remove arcane recovery entirely or make it a late-level feature, while also giving sorcerers more spells.

Make the AC more competative with sword and board fighter by either adding a new subclass that gets 12+ DEX + WIS as their unarmored derfense or simply change it to that on all subclasses, change their unarmed strikes to 1d6 + DEX/STR at level 1 and bump the rest up by 2.

Fair point, I was thinking more focus them to do more burst damage and tank a bit better somehow. As it stands they're rather frail because they need to put their highest numbers into WIS and DEX for AC and that sort of makes the calm monk, the potential mediator for conflict or whatever, a less suited class for passing the checks required to do so. Just my >opinion is all, I'm not saying my answer is the be-all end-all.

>how did we stomp a vampire when we had a class tailor made to fuck over a vampire
hm I wonder

At higher CRs it all becomes more situational. You happened to know what Strahd was weak to and you happened to have that with you. If you'd had another party member instead of the Cleric it'd have been a lot more difficult.

>cleric with moonbeam
?

Well, thank you; I've always said that the biggest issue with gnomes is that they're stepping on the feet of both dwarves and wood elves, so I figured that it could be interesting to try and directly take those niches and see if that made gnomes feel better.

There are still elves, mind you, it's just your choices are limited to Moon Elf (grimdark anti-nihilist badass), Sun Elf (savage, ferocious jungle amazon) or Gorgon (insane, mutated elf-dragon fusion).

You can't MC into anything worthwhile for a Fighter with 10 Dex (Rogue, Monk if you'll get several more levels).

Stay with feats. Resilience (Dex) or (Wis), or Shield Master if you use those.

Is Charm Person good?

we know, except this isn't genderfluidity as they change sex, not gender

why the fuck did you bring it into this thread

What’s the difference? Not trying to be an asshole or anything, I honestly didn’t know there was one.

certain elves can swap between biologically male or female, or in between. Everyone else just puts on a wig/fake beard.

It's better when you don't expect to meet the person you're charming ever again. Them knowing they've been charmed afterwards tends to sour things.

Ok so sunlight brought him down to only 5 CR above our level and the dm just played him wrong?

Just the CR 3 nightmare he was chasing us on. Thing was noisy so we quickly set up an ambush thinking it would be somebody else
Moonbeam and our artificers mechanical polar bears grapples pretty much fucked him there i guess. Still i have seen plenty of other examples of CR being incredibly meaningless in 5e, but my group says that converting over a CR appropriate monster from pathfinder nearly wiped them. One of our guys checked in on it and says CR is literally only there now to tell you if a monster is at risk of one shotting characters or not

I believe the difference is that Sex is your actual physical set of genitalia and physical characteristics, Gender is your social role (male/female). I don't really understand it myself.

>I think the appropriate rebalance would be to keep the amount of spells but remove arcane recovery entirely or make it a late-level feature, while also giving sorcerers more spells.
Also remove the 18th level feature, it's actually better than the capstone

games reach 18th level so rarely, it doesn't really matter

paladin actually, from their subclass, but they never actually smited and spent the rest of the time running around to revivify out Npc and lay on hands our artificer so I didn't feel the need to mention them much.

Can anyone take a look at my spell and invocation selection for my Hexblade and see if I've made any glaring errors, picking bad spells, skipping good ones, etc?

pastebin.com/Sajxjt5Z

inb4 'pick the spells your character would take'. My character would want to not be a burden to the rest of his party, first and foremost.

I know I should retrain Charm Person once I get Charm Monster, I just put everything in the pastebin before realizing that.