Connected to KamchatkaNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>Infiltrator_Ninjas__Possible_MilSpec?.trid
>Using_Cardboard_boxes_to_evade_spirit_patrols.sklsft
>Gas_Mask_Foci.ARO
>Mechs_With_Thor_Shots__Possible_Danger?.thread

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 10 (87% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Shadowrun!?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running BROTHHHHHHHHHERRRRRRRR.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Shoot ammo
>Shoot CGL books
>And never, ever shoot a dragon

Sprout Edition

What material outside of SR do you import into your games?

Attached: 1505787569934.png (1920x1080, 403K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neosynth.net/index.php?n=Rules.HouseRules#Drug_and_Addictive_Substance_Usage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Continuing from the last thread:

I'd just like to say that I don't bother with the question of whether it makes sense in-setting for children to ever participate in shadowruns. I just disallow it because I find it tremendously depressing to think about some shit like a 9-year-old getting shot full of bullets when he really should be in elementary school or something. And you know that's inevitable because a PC is going to get shot all the damn time. Not to mention that the campaign could easily collapse from sadness if this kid gets shot past his overflow boxes.

Yeah I know SR is meant to portray a bad mean place, and I'm okay with that, but lethal violence against children a different level of soul-crushing which I really don't want to explore in role-playing.

Attached: I wish this was an exaggeration.jpg (1600x1103, 505K)

>Continuing from the last thread:

Must we?

Attached: 1421258854878.png (1208x1048, 58K)

>I wish this was a exaggeration
What, a kid enjoying herself at the range?

Filename was left over from an internet argument years ago. Control+C Control+V didn't seem to be working to let me change it (file explorer gets fucky sometimes), so I thought "fuck it" posted it as-is.

>What material outside of SR do you import into your games?

Actually, I avoid doing so whenever I can. The Sixth World is huge and there is a lot of lore going on all over the world in the background. The system and the universe itself is pretty lenient in justifying almost anything you want to bring to the table, even especially fetish shit.

I am generally pretty casual with SR and tailor the world to what people wanna play. If everyone wants to play some exotic race, or wants to make something up, or bring back an earthdawn race, that is fine, as long as everyone is cool with it. If another group is clearly taking inspiration from some other setting, I play into that.

Gming as a SR GM requires way more flexibility than most other games because the nature of shadowrunning requires you be very certain about setting minutiae in a setting where the lore flip flops and is inconsistent constantly, so I basically just get a read on the kind of game people wanna play early and just run with that.

>What material outside of SR do you import in your games?
Well, to start with, my current characters are basically just Alex & Ash from Hotline Miami in a cyberpunk setting.

Attached: C8AC28A6-C64D-498F-A443-CDBD14C51224.png (600x900, 585K)

I've had some superheroes/villains with the numbers filed off show up as background runners in my first test run

Well currently, my players are up against a rival running team who I ripped from the playable members of Talon in Overwatch. It started out as a thought experiment to see what characters would into shadowrun, and it turned into this.

Attached: OW_Doomfist_015.png (1899x1080, 2.54M)

So my group is rather new to Shadowrun, and right now it's looking like we'll all need new characters after the first batch dies.

I was hoping to get some advice on character creation in 5e so I don't spread myself as thinly as I did last time. I played a Shaman, and was hoping to mix things up by going heavy on cybernetics. Anything I should look out for? Should I invest in a deck so I'm harder to hack?

Friendly reminder that Satyrs are cool and y'all should use them more.

Attached: FF0D48D6-5DAB-4545-A2C4-08C6EA000F34.jpg (900x819, 141K)

>not even an ork/10

I hope to use my road-runner-tier satyr chainsaw samurai next time I get the chance to play a sammy

>Should I invest in a deck so I'm harder to hack?
That's a huge investment for a minor benefit. Just slave all you gear to the hacker's deck.
If you want 'ware, most of the time you should keep it offline. The wireless bonus is basically never with the risk of getting hacked.

>slave all you gear to a high-rating commlink which you hand off to your hacker so it uses his mental stats to defend
FTFY

Besides, the cyberdeck is going to be a prime target during hacker duels. Some random commlink on the hacker's person? Not so much.

I want to FUCK a satyr!

Attached: 6899BCF9-2707-40D9-90BE-51F147A93D4B.jpg (600x772, 68K)

>Slave all your gear to a high-rating comlink which you hand off to your hacker so they can mod it with a program carrier to either increase its firewall by 2 or to wrap your icons so it doesn't look like 'ware.

Unfortunately giving away your link to use your decker's mental stats doesn't work unless you don't like being in team voicecoms.

But wouldn't a single matrix perception check find your 'ware, and therefore find the device it's slaved to?

No one said that was my only link.

The nice 'link has my gear. I'm using a ¥20 prepaid to communicate, and promptly discarding it after the run is complete.

That's part of the issue we had last time. Everybody's stuff was slaved to the Decker's deck, so when he tangled with some major security all our stuff got compromised. Mainly hurt our Street Sam though.

The reason I was thinking of getting one was because I'm not sure if we'll have another full decker after that, so I thought handling it myself and focusing on defense with it would work. I'm getting the sense that it's probably not a great combo though

Disposing of a comlink after the run is an expensive way to do nothing, as comlinks don't hold anything on you.

There are a lot of reasons why slaving stuff to the decker isn't ideal unless you have to, and depending on what your trying to do (like slaving your persona to a decker) it doesn't work.

Also prepaid comlinks have a firewall of 1 so now anyone can just snoop you effortlessly and get in on your team's com network effortlessly.

Your best bet is to slave it to a nice device which is running silent. Potential attackers have to find it (matrix perception), recognize it as an immediate threat (GM call), and then hack through it. If you're worried about it, you can get a stealth dongle.

Either that, or just turn off wifi on anything non-essential. I take this kind of caveman approach with wireless, where I turn off wireless on basically everything other than my commlink.

>comlinks don't hold anything on you.
They have all kinds of stuff; location, chat records full of incriminating statements and images, apps, maybe a SIN that you put on it two weeks later. And once someone knows your commcode (the kind of matrix perception any security would do) they can hit you from anywhere.

My satyr shaman, Billygoat, was probably one of the most fun lads I've played. Punk, druggie, party animal, and womanizer who had a spiritual awakening and became a hardcore hippie (and with that a more typical but powerful shaman) about halfway through his career.

Pic mostly unrelated, I just don't have any pics of punk satyrs that would work.

>"pic mostly unrelated"
>didn't post a pic
This is why I sometimes think I got the tism

Attached: 2E025409-3CD7-43F5-8F9D-2173106B855C.jpg (448x711, 88K)

>They have all kinds of stuff

Literally everything you listed is a thing not automatically stored on a comlink, especially your SIN.

Comcodes do nothing mechanically besides letting people make phonecalls to you.

Unwired even mentioned that people tossing old links away was kinda dumb and based on "old flats."

Did Johnny Spinrad actually end up marrying Queen Caroline in the end, or did he dump her like all the other women? They were engaged in 4th edition, but I can't find a follow up anywhere.

Attached: Johnny_Spinrad.png (139x162, 27K)

Yeah, I think we kind of assumed that slaving devices was the best way to do,security since be got,to use the hacker's stats. Clearly not the case though.

Alright, so I should just get something with a decent rating and run it silent, or otherwise,keep,everything off wireless? That seems straightforward enough.

>Even a kid who has "seen action" is going to run and keep their head down
Well yeah, that's what the fire spirit is for. Like, if a mage can summon spirits, the actual mage is basically an accessory as far as combat goes.
Spirits totally do, which is why I mentioned them being a mage. Like, yeah, Little Jimmothy can't kill a person. But Salamander, force eight fire spirit? He literally swallows people whole.
>Should I invest in a deck so I'm harder to hack?
Just grab that Blue Defender comlink, or just a fancy comlink in general. Even the fanciest comlink is cheaper than a deck, and will defend your shit just as well.

This discussion about dumping commlinks had reminded me of a question I had: do y'all run SINs as a card you slot into a commlink, like a modern-day SIM card? Or is it more like a profile you login to, like a modern-day email address? Because in the former case, one ought to have access to the bank account of every mook one stops to loot, but in the latter case, one could commit identity fraud as easily as one could steal credit card info.

It is a number you broadcast that can be cross referenced to a global database that is notoriously poorly managed and filled with false duplicates, dead people who are still alive, alive people who are still dead, ect.

Essentially you can swap SINs by changing which number you chose to broadcast.

There was some foreshadowing for O-SINs, which would be SINs hardwired into a comlink, but that plot was dropped because it was fucking retarded.

That seems like the sort of thibg I was looking for. I'll pick up a Blue Defender and save the funds.

Thanks for all the advice

I just bought SR5, read through the core book multiple times. I still can't get my head around addiction, and I know my group that I'll be running for tomorrow is going to have at least one booster in the party.

Can someone elucidate on this for me?

Attached: Deutsche Mario.jpg (390x413, 71K)

>I just bought SR5
TROGGER

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY CGL BOOKS

PDFS ARE LINKED IN THE OP

When you use an addictive drug or substance, addictive technological item like a BTL, or participate in an addictive habit like gambling, a clock starts ticking.

For the next 11 – [Addiction Rating] weeks, you need to note whenever you engage in this activity or take this substance. For every week (period of 7 days) where you don’t, you reduce the Addiction Threshold of the substance/habit by 1.

If the threshold hits 0 as a result, then everything’s ok.

If you use again during this timer though, it goes back up to the starting threshold.

If the threshold doesn’t hit 0 by the time the 11 - rating week counter is up, it’s Addiction Test time. You take it once per week-counter-thingy, per drug, per addiction type. That's it. Not multiple tests every time or one test per "weeks in a row" or anything.

This means that if Addiction Rating + Addiction Threshold is greater than 11, the drug can get you hooked on a single dose. Nitro and Kamikaze, for example, have a rating of 9 and a threshold of 3. After 2 weeks from your first usage, the clock will have run out and the threshold will still be 1, even if you only took that one dose.

I generally recommend using the Runnerhub rules for addiction instead, since the book-keeping for drugs is fucking ridiculous.
neosynth.net/index.php?n=Rules.HouseRules#Drug_and_Addictive_Substance_Usage

Attached: 29186604_1075569705916624_3925833763354836992_o.jpg (2048x1367, 281K)

Also! For most psychological 'I'm so addicted to $SOCIALACTIVITY' elements like Gambling/Racing/Anime/whatever, I highly recommend using the Dependents quality instead.

Attached: 29176843_2032704580318955_155514881682964480_o.jpg (1538x2048, 251K)

I'm making an elf decker with Addiction (severe, trog dick). Any tips for me to roleplay this?

Attached: ShadowrunOrkDick.png (407x569, 164K)

Do note that while Runnerhub's rules are very excelent at reducing the bookkeeping of addiction, some drugs, especially drugs that are low addiction rating but high threshold, become much more addictive than they usually would be, so keep an eye on that.

as a matter of fact, could you guys post some shadowrun-esque satyr art? I picked this up last thread, but that's all I got.

hobgoblins and ogres would also be appreciated (as far as I know, there's no art for either, but I think they're cool).

Attached: 3FF4B9AF-D800-4671-A96B-799C9B28AA61.jpg (444x750, 88K)

>as far as I know, there's no art for either,
You mean other than the stuff that's in SR Companion?

Attached: SRC 2e Metavariants.pdf (PDF, 1.04M)

I legit hadn't seen those before, so thank you.

It's still a shame there's little to no other art, though. Like onis get a lot of pics that could work (prolly because of weebs), but aside from this, I haven't seen anything for the other ork variants.

I don't think I've got any satyrs, really. This is... something?

Attached: _gift__bloodbath_by_zweihander_k-dawobjs.jpg (900x1375, 119K)

Use an internal router, problem solved

GET BACK TO YOUR OWN PLANE YOU RAKSHASHA SHITBAG
AND TAKE YOUR IMMORTAL CANNIBAL HOOKERS WITH YOU

I steal a bit from Planescape, but we're a group who has been together for a long time and are needing to switch it up. A lot of the concepts are fairly interchangeable once you file off the serial numbers.

I don't think Shadowrun by default allows you to play a child character. Can't you just take the Neoteny mutant disadvantage?

3 augged up Street Samurai and a Decker with a cloaking device?

It doesn't work at all. RAW, you can only log into one persona-capable device at a time. Changing that requires rebooting both devices.

My runners have agreed to protect and transport a small robot on a roadtrip across Japan, taking it all the way from Cape Soya to a secret corp base in a volcano in Akusekijima. In exchange for a mountain of money, they will also take the robot to a number of different tourist hotspots in major cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, etc. This is so other teams of runners that have been hired by other Johnsons will get a chance to attack them and steal the robot as it uploads pictures and information to social media as part of a complex publicity stunt.

My main question is what exactly the landscape of Japan looks like outside of major cities. Would it mostly be wasteland, populated by mutated fauna, or would there still be rural farmland and nature reserves to preserve the natural beauty of Japan? They're going to be driving most of the way, save for taking ferries, so I want to be sure I know what the landscape should look like most of the time.

Attached: HitchhikeBot.png (1232x884, 1.81M)

Japan got badly hit by a series of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and tidal waves in 2061, so there's probably be places where the infrastructure's still fucked.

Or it can vastly improve a setting. My character willingly sacrificed his earnings from multiple runs, ruined his street cred, and made a deal with a dragon just to manage to bust out our child street sam from a corp jail. The player retired the character, since she had enough to work out an essence recovery program with a few favors owed, and she is wanting to go on and become a doctor. My PC plans on adopting her once he's able to come clean and stop doing runs, so he actually now has a purpose and a meaning in his jobs now, instead of just bouncing around from one thing to the next.
And all of that development wouldn't have happened if we didn't have a kid runner in the mix that surprised us all. It doesn't have to be a grim thing, children runners. It can start off grim, and it's expected to, considering child soldiers are no laughing matter, but it only has to conclude as grim as you make it. Sometimes good can come out of it and the stories that get told are a step above the average drek, omae.

Attached: clemy.jpg (640x359, 126K)

>Doomfist
Face/samurai. Mega-punchy-cyberarm on the right, and implanted shotgun on the left. Codename: Lynchpin.

>Reaper
Vampire adept. Smoke form, regeneration, and several Remington Roomsweepers. Codename: Scarecrow.

>Widowmaker
Sniper/rigger. Lots of spy drones with vision enhancement and ultrasound to see through walls. Codename: Manhunt.

>Sombra
Hobgoblin Decker/Infiltrator. Chameleon suit, Codeslinger: Data Spike, and Nerdrage. Codename: Tiburon.

>Moira
Banshee mage. Lots of health and manipulation spells. Codename: Fate.

Really, if you look at Overwatch's bullshit tech and go, "yeah, no. A lot of that is magic," this shit writes itself.

Yeah, the best you can really hope for with Shadowrun satyrs is either humanoid looking demon/tiefling art, or finding art of regular fauns and satyrs that don't look too straight up fantasy. As for hobgoblins and ogres... I don't know what to tell you, really. Short, fat orks could work for the second if you can find any, since orks and ogres don't look THAT different, but you're mostly out of luck.

This one I found is pretty good for Shadowrun, although it doesn't seem to have goat legs.

Attached: 441C262B-75D8-4F86-95F7-52AA9EFBC89C.jpg (561x950, 322K)

Hanzo just... straight up uses fucking magic.

>Sombra
>hobgoblin
Dios mio... el goblino...

>this edgelord shit

>I just bought SR5
>bought
>paid money to CGL
Bad! Bad player! Use PDFs in OP, don't give a dime to CGL! We need CGL to collapse so that someone else can pick up the license and do shadowrun right.

Although at the same time, those PDFs seem to be really hard for newbies to find. Maybe we should make the link more visible or something?

Attached: 1518327178900.png (403x448, 53K)

The link needs to be more conspicuous, yes. I remember when I first came here I didn't see it at first either.

>it only has to conclude as grim as you make it

You're putting a child in front of bad people with guns every week and rolling dice to see how badly the bullets will hurt him. I don't know how you imagine this can be okay. I really don't.

But it's whatever. If you're happy roleplaying repeated situations where preteens or single-digits children are being shot to death, then great, do that. I'm not trying to say you can't do it in your own games. It's a step too far for me though.

>t. doesn't know the source material
These are literally the Overwatch characters put into Shadowrun with name changes, dude. He did a fairly accurate job of it. If you want to blame anyone for being edgy, blame blizzard for making Talon all essentially sonic OCs.

Only Reaper is an edgelord really.

And it is a pretty consistent in universe joke that he is trying way too fucking hard and no one takes him seriously.

user didn't even change the names; they're literally just overwatch characters ported into SR

That's one of my favorite parts. It's kind of charming, in a Saturday morning cartoon sort of way.

I did change the names. I mentioned their codenames at the end of each entry. I was trying to make them as close to the source material as I could, but fluff then differently in game to hide it, but my players caught on pretty quickly. They started referring to them as Beak.

I actually wrote down every character and how I would build them in Shadowrun just for fun. I can post it if anyone cares.

This one's got a modern-ish satyr thing.

Attached: profession_girls_by_alex_chow-dapxr0l.jpg (1733x675, 409K)

You didn't read my post at all. I specifically said that what made it brighter was getting a child out of the mess that happened and putting her in a better place than most adults are in the world.

Attached: kyle idiot.png (188x229, 37K)

I wouldn't fuck children
Preteens maybe if they don't look like gremlins
Right in the prime of pubescence is where it's at
Thank god for BTL and gnomes

>Satyr shaman

Attached: this triggers the k.jpg (878x1024, 77K)

maybe he meant the pic in the post he is referencing

The only one who actually would need a codename is Moira, since that's her name in the meatspace

The others already are using their codenames, but it's a commendable effort you're putting forth

Fucking furies

Current GM imported Dead Cell from Metal Gear into the campaign as a rival team of some sort, so that was cool.

why all the hate twords CGL?

Because the inbred cow fuckers CGL calls middle management shis the bed often when writing their books. And it's because they do most of their writing through freelance writers or interns who aren't skilled enough or familiar enough with the setting to be reliable, which ends with many oversights and errors. And then they hand off the editing to a person or team who doesn't do a good job, for reasons, so the books are replete with rules contradictions, misspellings, and more errors.

While CGL has pumped out a decent amount of material for a company of their size (consistently about 1 publication a month or every few months since they got their grubby hands on the license for Shadowrun), most of it is rushed and under par.

Cleaning up most of their mess falls on the Good Man, but he's stymied by the fact everything he does has to go through a committee, and they're slow as fuck. Presumably because the meetings have to open with a ritual sacrifice of a virgin goat, and they keep putting their dicks in them, delaying the meetings over and over again.

Remember user, the Good Man is the one good gift CGL gave us. Hail the Good Man!

Question.
How do those non-gang, non-corporate combat monsters actually appear? What are their origins, how do they behave?

Because I am aware of a non-gang non-corp affiliated architype of a guy in a trenchcoat and shades packing serious heat even when he goes down to stuffer shack. But I have no idea where he came from.

I did not mean to link that, sorry.

Freelance mercenaries, usually. Most of the time they're ex-gang or ex-corp.

I guess I was just wondering how does one get started in the life of being a freelance mercenary.

Signing a contract and then survive being cannon foder and prove yourself as a worthy investment for all that snazzy chrome.

>you go AWOL from a bush-tier corp security division
>your gang is flattened, but you were out getting more pretzels or some shit and survive
>you used to be in the military, and selling violence is easier than learning another trade
>you grew up in the slums and realised you were good at combat, and moved up through bouncer and bodyguard and shit
>you really really liked Solo of Fortune magazine

Sometimes, the only thing that separates a man and a shadowrunner is the decision to buy some guns, a cool outfit, and a bulletproof vest.

Attached: Lotton_the_Wizard.jpg (699x971, 53K)

>Non-gang
>Non-corporate
If your including the rent-a-cop corps, that eliminates nearly half of them.

Other times they can be other criminals, rival runners, the odd vigilante, an off-the-book corp agent (like a runner, but with a more permanent state of employment), a hard boiled detective, muscle for hire, or the neighborhood urban survivalist or prepper wageslave who knows that in the Sixth World something as simple as running to the Stuffer Shack for milk without an armored car and a team of bodyguards comes attached with a non-zero chance of dying in by a driveby or getting cooked by an errant spell.

Also personal vendetta and independent wealth! God knows Shadowrun has to have a few Batman expies running around

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.86M)

>I specifically said that what made it brighter was getting a child out of the mess that happened and putting her in a better place than most adults are in the world.

I know you said that it worked out okay because the character retired before it fell victim to the kind of tragedy typical of shadowrunning characters.

It might come out that way if the dice roll right and you immediately take the kid away from a situation that never should have happened anyway. Otherwise you get a tiny body and a dawning realization that you got a fictional child killed or worse over money and the 2070s equivalent of e-peen.

My character was an Aztlan sports star.

Aztlan sports are court ball and gladiatorial combat.

>non-gang, non-corporate combat monsters
Just to add to the other answers, you get people who work in niche underworld areas that aren't gangers or organized crime. For example, cyberdocs in bad neighbourhoods need some guards and will probably chrome them up. Underworld bankers, infobrokers and loansharks will have their own muscle. You'll get ex-military types too, including the bad-to-the-bone types who got dishonourably discharged.

Some parts of the world are war-torn hellholes. Adepts here might grow up surrounded by fighting and learn their trade as child soldiers in guerilla or militia groups or even just from trying to survive in live-fire zones. Non-military razorguys from these places are unlikely but not impossible; expect them to be ''''''chromed''''' up with used and omegaware grade stuff.

>how does one get started in the life of being a freelance mercenary.
Any of the above might go freelance if they have the resources and networking to do so. Some might be tapped by a local fixer.

>child street sam
kys

What constitutes as too young an archetype in this setting?
I'm pretty sure a kid in his early teens could probably do a half decent job as a mage, techno or decker. Street sam is doable but it starts looking pretty anime.

canonically devgrrrrl was 12 when she started as a decker.

Although literally all the current jackpointers are terrible.

hopefully Pegasus will get the license

They literally didn't pay their writers for months because the CEO was using the money to redecorate his house.

They have released books that fell apart if you look at them for too long.

Half the shit they put out is awful, terrible, and shows that half the people involved don't give a shit about the game or the setting

etc.
etc.
etc.

Nah, there are some good ones but they don't appear much. I like Baka Dabora since he really is just a little green man in a suit with some specialist knowledge and connections. No bluster, no muh mystical seecruts, no posing, just a dude with skills. The tough types like Hard Exit and Rigger X are alright too.

The main JPers are annoying as fuck though, especially Slamm-0!. Shit-0! is cocky, uninteresting, and seems like exactly the kind of character who'd post something like "so yeah, while I was brushing my teeth this morning I was idly cracking into S-K's top secret archive and found this fun tidbit about the Horrors..."

>The tough types are alright

Kane.

Books riddled with errors, ambiguities and omissions that don't get errata for literally years. We only recently got Run Faster errata over three years after the book came out. It's a systemic fault somewhere. I don't know in what department or on who's desk the trainwreck starts, but they've had issues for a long time and it doesn't seem to get fixed.

He's not like Rigger X or Hard Exit now, is he? Those two are tough types. Kane is a blustering YAARGH LOLSOPIRATES XDDD type.

Any must-have qualities for a technomancer?

Attached: 1508464376713.gif (500x375, 628K)

Burning edge. That stops just such a thing from happening.
Don't blame me, I was the adept face.

Borrowed time, or any other excuse to kill character off when you realize how garbo they are.

Codeslinger and Quick Healing are handy.

Some like Exceptional Attribute for Willpower or Resonance. I think EA Willpower is worth it, though EA is expensive. EA Resonance is probably less useful.

>autistic min-maxing pleblord