/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Covering The Basics Edition
>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
So /5eg/, 5e has been out for quite a while now. Have you at least had the chance to play one archetype of every class? If so, which has been the most fun for you? If not, what haven't you played and why not?

Attached: old_school_party.png (1440x900, 2.19M)

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Falconer_(5e_Class)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Wizards

Attached: 1512649458023.jpg (401x409, 46K)

Barbarian, Half Orc. "Unarmed" using a warhammer statline for a caestus or similar gauntlet. What Path would work well, aside from the obvious Bearbarian? Kinda looking at Storm Herald for the desert line, for fluff reasons.

Reposting for the fresh thread.

I'm having my players fight a low level caster that has every mind fuckery spell known to man.

What are some real dick ways I can use Phantasmal Force?

Battlerager sounds like it could go well with that theme

Ancients paladin was the most fun. Berserker barbarian was the least fun. Having to suffer through multiple levels of exhaustion to make use of your archetype features is garbage.

I'm currently playing a Swords/Swashbuckler bard in one campaign and an Arcane Trickster/Battlemaster multiclass in another. I've never really liked multiclassing before but after these two characters I'm digging it.

You can have them perceive themselves falling down a hole. Just falling. They'll stop doing anything.

Alternatively, they can suddenly find themselves trapped under ice in freezing water or drowning in a sealed tank. They can think themselves to be on fire or be wasting away into nothing, taking damage each turn.

>Play
Oh, you

Repost since the other thread is dying.

Considering revising the warlock class. What do you think about these changes?

-CHA to attack rolls is removed from Hexblade and added to Blade Pact. This nerfs some of Hexblade's MC cheese and buffs Blade Pact slightly. Other classes can get it if they wanna drop 3 levels into Warlock.
-Warlocks get an additional spell slot, beginning the game with 2 spell slots and ending the game with 5.
-The Mystic Arcanum feature grants a spell slot in addition to the spell known, allowing you to upcast normal spells in addition to using your arcanum spell.
-Invocations no longer consume spell slots, instead casting the spell at the lowest possible level. You may expend a spell slot to upcast the spell.
-More invocations known, though I'm not exactly sure about the progression. Maybe 1 every 2 levels for a max of 10?

>tfw [s]d4[/s] d6 hit die
You are not Merlin, or Gandalf, or Dumbfuckledore. You are a little shit and a pipsqueak. And within exactly six seconds, you will be a smear on the wall.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Falconer_(5e_Class)

How does this homebrew look Veeky Forums? It seems like a beastmaster ranger thats more fun.

I can't use Veeky Forums

Give me your best male elf names. Shit's hard, yo.

Some of my players are super metagamers, obviously I don't want them to fail a save and believe they're dead forever haha gg no re, but at the same time I don't want to put them in a tank of water and make them think they're suffocating only for them to say "I examine the water".

I was thinking of forcing one of them to disarm themselves by making their weapon appear like a venomous snake or some other kind of weird monster.

Again I'm worried that no matter if I summon up the image of a Lich casting a spell that will swallow their soul and damn them to eternal undeath, they'll just be like dude I investigate it lol I know this spell.

Dave

Remove Acrobatics and Sleight from the available skills. Don't let them take scale mail; they're a fucken ranger not a fighter. Add the Scout's skirmisher ability to the list of available specialties. Other than that looks fine, which is remarkable considering the cesspool of "content" that site is.

Spirit of a warrior uses a mask to make warlocks to continue his work/legacy and make it appear as though he's immortal to strike fear into his enemies. What kind of inconsequential quirk "special terms" would he have in his pact? Feels like it needs more than just "go after my enemies that think they killed me"

>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to play
>the chance to play
>the chance to pIay
>the chance to pIay

what are these words

Attached: laughing.png (932x868, 1.47M)

In 4e utility and combat powers were separate things so they never needed to vie for usage. I think that if these two things are based off of the same resource people will almost always pick the combat ones first.

For example, the fighter class gets extra feats which could help to make up for a lack of utility that the class has elsewhere (skilled, ritual caster, etc.) but most people will just go for GWM or whatever to increase their numbers. A shame I think.

control s my dude

Make warlocks on their behalf too and keep the cycle going forever like a Ponzi scheme

faggot

Attached: 1398399613354.gif (243x316, 1.66M)

Is anyone else disappointed to notice that Dispel Magic doesn't have the Ritual tag? It seems like the perfect spell for it. "Hold on, I need time to undo this magic" is something wizards say all the time in fiction, right?

>Fighters being good at fighting and nothing else is a shame
Slay thyself

Lincoln. "Link" for short.

Actually check this one out I forgot to update the Invocation list.

Attached: Warlock Revised.pdf (PDF, 2.05M)

how about now[/spoiIer]

Attached: tg disguise roll.jpg (600x1092, 134K)

A Fighter with no feats will still be good at fighting, you get extra ASI's so you could take feats that give you exploration or social pillar stuff but instead most people take more combat feats.

It's the same thing with people complaining about Warlocks being Blast turrets, they take all the invocations that make blast better and none of the ones that give you interesting at will abilities thus creating their own problem.

And here's how I changed Hexblade without fully nerfing it.

Attached: Hexblade Revised.pdf (PDF, 1.41M)

I've played a wolfbarian in a one shot, an arcane trickster in a dead campaign, a shadow monk to level 5, a CBS fighter in a one shot, a life cleric/feylock MC to 7, a lore bard to 5 (ongoing), and a cavalier in a one shot. I really wanna try divine soul sorcerer and ancients paladin but I haven't had the chance yet

he said male elf names

The falling thing still applies, then. You could also have them feel/see poisonous bugs and snakes go into their armor. In order to examine, they'd need to take off their armor.

For dickishness, you could have them see a step up that isn't there. They stumble and grant the enemy advantage. Ditto for doorways, so they just run into a wall. Have fake traps appear near real traps so they have to get close and trigger the trap.

Please look up how reasonable systems solve the low utility martial problem and compare it to 4e's blatant transforming of spells into "totally not casting" abilities.

Buddy

also you know like Xanthars is like half names-by-gender-and-race right?

>male
>elf
Choose one and exactly one. But you can change after a long rest.

>people will almost always pick the combat ones first.
I am the kind of player who always picks the least combat oriented build possible. In my group i am famed for making especially shitty characters and one of my DMs banned multiclassing so that i don't make another useless shitty character.

Welp, there's all my proposed changes sans mystic arcanum granting spell slots. Pretty good.

I like spectral weapon better than the standard Hexblade 6 feature but I'm still not really keen on having a pet of any kind. I almost feel like they should just slap extra attack on there and be done with it.

Redpill me on genderfluid elves

>But you can change after a long rest.
I am not familiar with this meme.

Extra Attack basically comes in the form of pact of blade's 5th level invocation. I kept the flavor intact, it's essentially a combat familiar, but now you are guaranteed to have it instead of maybe getting it. And I find it more flavorful you get a flying weapon to accompany you than a Specter too. Now you can play a Hexblade without necessarily being evil as shit.

In an upcoming books, elves will be given the ability to change sex once per long rest.

What abilities from 4e were "totally not casting"?

Watch Jurassic Park.

Alright, I suppose.

I mean I don't want them to be stuck in an inescapable situation because haha I'm a dick GM who just wants to kill the players, but I'd feel really cheated if I use such an odd spell on them for them to nullify it in one turn with an action. Why not just cast hold person on them at that point?

I guess I'm just overthinking stuff, I just wanted a fun combat with some tricky mind pranks, but I feel like one or two of them will just try to undermine it.

Attached: remind myself.png (546x710, 499K)

Elves were always indistinguishable, now they're just even more so. The Curtain has been drawn back, revealing Oz for what they are: Shapeshifters, not simply hyper-androgynous!

what about their pronouns?

I know right its remarkably competent.

>I examine the water
>roll perception at disadvantage because like you're fucking drowning
>nat 20!@
>well, it's water

follow the suffocation rules, if they don't get out have them roll death saves and have them die.

there are tons of ways to play it, like have the whole party drown and tpk then wake up and he's gotten away hours ago. if it's one guy the table has to be more mature, play it out until someone says "well I break the glass" or whatever and then you say one sec, play one more round with the guy then
>ok, cheryl, your PC sees Broheim the Barbarian writhing on the ground clutching his neck and obviously tormented but bone dry.

Sack up and DM man, if your players are too meta you need to step up your fucking game son.

>how reasonable systems
Only reasonable systems i know are skill based, so i would appreciate summary on how class-based systems do solve this.

I just feel like it's really weird to make the hexblade into a pet class, conditional or not. Even the UA did it, although I will admit I liked the shadow hound better than this specter stuff.

I just don't know what else it would be replaced with.

Possibly, but I'm not a dwarf and I doubt that restriction would be getting lifted.

>be UA time
>everybody is excited despite knowing better
>UA comes out
>it's literally a fucking advertisement for the next book
>it pretty much says elf can physically gender swap in the morning
>everybody butthurt
>nobody sees the upside of going home with manlier than you guys, being the grill all night then waking up a boy and going, "I'm not gay, your gay"

Attached: manlier man than you becomes hotter woman than you can get thanks god.jpg (1024x620, 125K)

no, the UA was a few Duergar tables from the new book

genderbender elves was a Crawford video

Oh, i didn't pay attention to the "UA", because it was shit at first glance. Thanks for sourcing that shit. (Damn motherfuckers.)

The thing is, Phantasmal Force specifically says they can use an action to investigate it and if they pass, they see it's an illusion.

So if they wanted to examine the water, RAW, they can fucking examine the water despite the fact that they thinking they're drowning.

I mean I don't know about you, but if a Wizard made a mimic magically appear on my head and start biting my neck, the first thing I would do would not be "I wonder if this thing that I can see devouring my head and can smell itss hot breath and feel it's saliva dripping all over me as its tongue tastes my skin IS FUCKING REAL", but as per the rules, they can. Otherwise it'd be a save or suck spell with no way out.

I don't think you understand what is happening:
Step 1: Be a Trap
Step 2: Be a Girl
Step 3: Be a Trap again

that's the summary of the ability.

(You)

I think that has less to do with the shared resource pool and more to do with that pool being very limited in number and accessibility. So people don't want to "waste" them. And GWM gets picked a lot because it's too good and should probably nerfed. If that happened you might see more one handed fighters, who aren't really dependent on any feats to function. It also helps if you use the free feat at character creation, helps promote diversity.

lmao that's actually a great point. Got me.

The hexblade was already a pet class, now it's just a pet class that's not a tormented, fragmented soul that hates all life you can only get if you kill a humanoid and forcibly rip their soul from the material plane and twist it into a evil and eternally dammed undead.

When it comes to Prestidigitation and similar spells, just how often do they come into use in your campaigns?

those spells really depend on how clever the player using them is

Unless you're a bard, never.

I'd feel a little better if it stated that the specter is Lawful Neutral
Kinda hard to be a Good Hexblade when you're raising Chaotic Evil undead.

I know, I was referring to it's 3.5 incarnation (that being a swordsman who uses curses and shit). WotC took it in a weird way and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Nigga, everyone is capable of holding their own in a fight, especially if they're capable of casting spells.

Being the class whose only perk is being the best at Fighting is like being an idiot savant. You're a burden to the people around you the moment you're outside of your niche, but you justify your existence well enough for people to ignore your deficiencies.

Even the claim of Fighters being the "best at fighting" is arguable as fuck when consider classes like Paladins exist, and how easily a well placed spell can end an encounter in one turn if the resident caster knows what they're doing.

*gets stabbed by some dude with a sharp stick*

Attached: warming_up_to_stab_some_turks.gif (400x224, 2.81M)

Actually i'm gonna take this back. 3.5 hexblade had a familiar in it's original printing, and could replace that with a shadow panther that gave adjacent enemies -2 AC in the PHB2. So they were always kind of a pet class.

Maybe I'll just ask my DM if I can use the shadow hound instead of the specter.

Vulcan

[citation needed]
Just spend the spell slot, man.

My players *try* to use Prestidigitation all the time, but they never read the limits on what it can do. They try to use it for stuff like moving heavy objects at long range, kicking up dust storms big enough to hide in, or becoming invisible by coloring their cloaks into perfect imitations of the scenery.

The other utility cantrips are a lot better. Mending can derail whole campaigns, and casting Light on a rock and tossing it into a tunnel or hole is still the best way to explore a dungeon.

>Mending can derail whole campaigns
...how?

yeah I got bananaed for that
but it's fucking true

I revised Kensei, taking some criticism from last time into account.
The quick changes are:

Agile Parry uses prof, instead of a flat +2 AC
Kensei Shot increases to 2d4 bonus damage at 11th level
Ki Blade can increase a +1 weapon to +3 if he wants, same ki cost though
Added Kensei Strike at 11, spend 3 ki to cause your weapon to be under the effect of Deft Strike for 1 minute
Unnerring Accuracy now grants a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with kensei weapons
This of course stacks with any + benefits a weapon already has, so technically if you had a +3 Kensei weapon it's now a +4, the capstone was a little weak on its own merits before.

Attached: Kensei Revised.pdf (PDF, 1.4M)

Prestidigitation is the greatest quality of life improvement in the game and it's always taken by nearly every caster in our group every single time. Being able to flavor and warm your food, cool your drinks, warm/cool your clothes in the winter/summer, flawlessly light campfires and candles on demand, keep yourself clean, make smells, and be able to make pictures out of thin air ALL while in a medieval setting is something that's literally too good to pass up for anyone who wants to be civilized. It's the magical equivalent of an instant heater/AC unit with a lighter on it stapled to a spice cabinet that also has soap and air freshener plus a dry erase marker all duct taped to a small picture frame that contains any picture you can imagine in it. RAW.
Yeah, it's that good.

How the fuck do we fix Sun Soul? It's so boring and mediocre. It doesn't let Monk do anything Monk couldn't already do except its darts get 10ft more range and deal radiant damage.

And just like 4Elements its spells are ki traps.

Attached: 1455130014093.gif (255x130, 1.31M)

Darts aren't considered monk weapons, and thus don't use your martial arts die. Radiant sun bolt effectively gives your unarmed strike a really good damage type and a 30' range.

The spells aren't that great, I agree with you there.

Sun Soul doesn't benefit Monk at all. It discourages them from melee, but doesn't actually improve their ranged combat like Kensei does. However minor.
Instead their ranged attacks are now radiant. And they can blow ki to cast a really shitty fireball that does radiant damage.
Then Sun Shield is a reaction to taking damage that's also fucking shit.
You can use your reaction to do up to 10 radiant damage
Woooooooww

A Kensei can make its darts a monk weapon, a Kensei is better at Sun Soul than Sun Soul, and Kensei sucks too.

Looking for suggestions on a good homebrew plant-person race for my upcoming camp, what ya got?

Attached: 35e7bb5aac26708b9f3f29b7092380d9.jpg (600x800, 192K)

There is literally no way to match the number of ranged attacks the sun soul gets with darts, though this is less a 'sun soul is ok' argument and more of a 'thrown weapons need a buff' argument.

Their fireball doesn't require them to expend Ki for the base effect, only to increase the damage. The damage is mediocre, but it's also AoE and at-will. You don't use it against a CR11 enemy. You use it against a horde of CR2s.

+2 Dex, +1 to Wis and Cha
Fire vulnerability
Hold breath for 10 minutes
Doesn't eat, requires triple water daily, however
Recovers 1 hit point for each hour it spends in direct sunlight up to your Con mod each short rest

That's all I got. Needs more with Fire vulnerability.
Drop Fire vul and reduce the stats to +1 to Cha or Wis and it doesn't need other features.
Alternatively make it +1 Dex and +2 to Cha or Wis.

Give them a nerfed version of speak with plants once per short rest - only the speech part, not the stuff about terrain or influencing plant creatures.

Plant Peoples

+2 to Dex, +1 to Wis, +1 to Cha
- Whenever you take fire damage you take an extra damage die of the triggering type in damage.
- You speak Common
- You are proficient in Survival and Nature
- You do not require food, instead you must drink 2 times the water other races do, and 3 times the water in extreme heat and desert
- You can speak to plant creatures as if you shared a common language. When you reach 5th level you can cast Speak with Plants once. You cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

Not another +2/+1/+1 race, please.

Is the extra fire damage really necessary? Plants doesn't burn that much better than meat, unless already dead and dry, does it?

It's flavorful.

Like I said though, nix the bonus fire damage, make it a +2/+1 race between Dex, Wis, Cha.

Maybe something more flavorful?

Delicious: You are delicious! Enemies have advantage on bite attacks, engulf attacks, and similar attacks that target you.

>ToA
>The player whose sorcerer died last session has his new character introduced by the rest of us stumbling across him running away from a Tyrannosaurus
>Me and the Bard start booking it away from the T-Rex, but the Druid casts Animal Friendship on it and succeeds
>Our original plan was to head over to the dragon corpse we found on the way to the Aaracockra monastery to look for something in its hoard to trade with the cursed Omuan queen for a Black Orchid
>Druid has the bright idea to trade her the T-Rex instead, since we're only a couple hours out from her temple and the spell lasts a whole day
>I have a bad feeling about this
>The plan is for me and the Bard to convince her to take the T-Rex while the Rogue hides in wait to steal the orchid in case the deal falls through
>Since she'll have to leave the building the orchid is in to appraise the Tyrannosaur, the Rogue has a clear shot to it
>Midway through the negotiation it looks like she's going to figure out the scam, so the signal is given
>Rogue steals the orchid without much trouble
>But the rest of us don't know he has it yet so when the Bard makes a good roll and the queen decides to accept the trade, none of us have a way to tell the Rogue to abort the mission without looking suspicious
>mfw she leads us in to go retrieve the orchid
>mfw the Bard's Guidance enhanced roll is barely enough to make her not start combat right then and there
>the Rogue bursts in looking concerned and we tell her we have no idea who he is, which sets her to arguing with herself
>We fucking hightail it out of there and barely escape thanks to the Bard casting good enough Sleeps to drop the birds she sent after us
>mfw we hear unintelligible shrieks of rage as we run off into the jungle
I told them it was a bad idea to mess with a centuries old cursed queen, man. I do like that there's a possibility that we'll have to deal with her pursuing us in some way though Like maybe a mind-controlled Tyrannosaurus

Attached: hol up.png (820x534, 449K)

In keeping with the fact that warlocks were originally INT based, what would you change a class' main stat to rebalance things?

Plants aren't exactly known for being dextrous. Make it +2 Wis +1 Cha

That is also true yes.

Please tell me good magic items for a sheppard druid level 6.

Say you pick a fight with ogres or similarly large things that probably move faster than you, how do you get away from them if you decide you fucked up and need to run?

Dash action and hope you can find some places that are too small for the ogres to fit through.

Why not +2 Con, +1 Wis or +1 Dex?
Plants are hardy fuckers, growing out of concrete and all that.
Also, if you're going with fire weakness, some kind of water/poison resistance?

I am not sure i understand.

I wouldn't probably change anything else. (Well, the "weak" saving throw from cha to int.) Charisma is practically somewhat "stronger" stat than Inteligence, but not by that much.

What if they just dash after you tho?

Then they can't use their action to attack you.

Warlocks being CHA allows them to easily multiclass into Sorc/Bard and cheese, having INT as their casting stat stops that.
What's some other balances that are similar to that?

OA from giant hurts as motherfucker just the same.

Then you best find a hidey-hole quick.

Anyone?

Having Int as their main stat allows warlocks to multiclass into wizard, which is probably even worse.