Your last dead PC or dead PC in a game you ran. Were they expecting to die?

Your last dead PC or dead PC in a game you ran. Were they expecting to die?

Did they wake up in the morning, eat their meal, or think to themselves "today is the day I die" or did it surprise them.

Attached: cfea79d80656a2411357e760f6bfb1c4.jpg (750x450, 106K)

Nah they just ate a double-crit by a giant spider.

He wasn't expecting to die, but he knew that there was a serious chance of it. The final battle had come, and death was major possibility. The odds had been stacked against the party for the party last three years of campaigning, and this was the battle against the death knight who had stolen the power of the archlich, so he prepared himself to meet his fate. His method of death was a bit surprising, but is it too far a stretch to think that breaking a magic hammer full of trapped souls would free all the souls? Well it didn't, just let off a magic mini-nuke which vaporized him and the rest of the party instantly.
we got better though

She full well expected to die - she went off to do it, even. She'd long been so terribly tired of it all, mostly hanging on by a combination of boundless fury that fueled murderous combat rages and a single living human she was dedicated to protecting. Events, however, transpired such that she was sure said human was dead - and then, in the heart of enemy territory, the rest of the party would not let her carve a swathe through things in order to return faster and find out the truth. Rightfully so, but it nonetheless broke her. If they wouldn't help her go kill, she would instead depart to get killed, and bring along another PC that'd made a suicide pact with her before. Killing themselves both properly would be difficult, and rather than make their sisters do it, they just went off to find one final fight. Find it they did, and with token resistance, they got themselves slaughtered and torn to bits. A good ending, in the character's eyes.

I successfully conned a PC paladin into killing another PC, a Vigilante who could turn into a monster, near the end of a short campaign. The Vigilante never let anyone but me know that they could turn into a monster, so when I screamed "AAAH! Monster!" the paladin smited the hell out of the Vigilante, killing them. Naturally, they "Suddenly" (read as: Metagaming bullshit,) realized through my bullshit-huge bluff roll over their shit sense motive roll that I was the instigator, and went to kill me for it. I ran to the door of the bar, but "Magically" the ghost of the player was able to grab my belt, pantsing me, and the other player killed me.
It might be instant karma for what I did, yes.
But on the other hand, It was utter, absolute metagaming bullshit and handwaved fucking hard by the DM because lul. So they died because I conned someone else into killing them for me, and I died because DM fiat.
All in all, I'd call that a win.

Didn't see it coming at all

Mauled to death by wargs

To shreds you say....

Yes, they fully knew the dangers of fighting a red dragon, and warned the party that it's gonna be a suicide mission, and they're all gonna die for nothing.
Ironically, my character was the only one who died.

>got shot by a multi-melta
You kinda expect that kind of shit when you're a space marine, but it always seems not fair when it happens.

he fell to his death in a bottomless chasm.
He was carrying the mcguffin, too.

But why did you do it? Did the Vigilante do something to you in the night by the campfire or was your PC just that much of an asshole? Did he just hate monstrous abominations?

My character who was basically immortal got sniped in the leg the session I couldn't come and that somehow killed him.
>session gets delayed 3 times due to 2 other players, GM is adamant that we do not play until everybody can make it
>one of them suggests 'hey what about we play tomorrow istead?'
>I can't
>GM decides that we haven't played for too long so we go ahead anyways
>Somebody else dies to the ambush too
>We make what is effectively one character because one of us is a ghost who controls all the character's powers (and can take control of the body sometimes), while the other is the actual character
>was actually pretty fun for a few sessions
>game falls apart because the GM is terrible at running anything beyond one shots

He should have said the correct capital of assyria

Having overcome insurmountable odds at almost every corner, and taking each new threat head-on with what many incorrectly assumed was a simple death wish, my last character died to a goddamn pack of harpies, of all things.

And that's despite having effortlessly tangled with a half-undead godspawn, and having challenged to single combat and won against the immortal champion of her deity's prime adversary, never mind all the other spooky, monstrous bullshit she took on as her party's only frontline combatant / tank, despite primarily being a healer. In fact, she was also the only healer in the group, so as you can imagine, the rest of the party fell in short order without her, all of them dieing to the very next encounter against yet another overpowered, undead abomination.

This is also despite the fact that the rest of the party — a rogue, a ranger, a wizard, and a necromancer — would often be one-shot into unconsciousness or death by every single 'boss' encounter throughout the entire campaign. My character straight-up had more than four times the health of the necromancer, who wasn't much lower than the other three, either. Though that's likely due to the fact that she was the only one with a positive Constitution score. This wasn't D&D, however, so things weren't balanced the same way.

I've never had a character die. Only because I've never been in a game that ever ran to completion.

Eddie came to europe to kill commies and by god he died killing russkies.
Twilight 2000 is maximum fun

Not really but one doesnt tackle a demon into a pit of lava while raging and expects to come out alive

user that only works on magic swords against lich Kings

Hammers? Death knights? This is some nonsense.

My ratfolk rogue was in the bottom of a cargo ship With the rest of the party 2 wizards and a barbarian.
We ran into a ranger who cast sow thought on the barbarian who was a xenophobe and the sow thought made him have extreme hatred towards rats he ran to me and split me in half.

The warmage in session I ran yesterday. The reality they live in is such that every day can end up in death, but I don't think he expected that one specific day to be it. They underestimated their enemy, somewhere in the middle of the fight one of foes blinked behind him and landed a good flail hit, the mage probably didn't even realize what got him.

He did get reincarnated as a gnome by the druid after the combat. Their quest is a bit too important to be stopped in tracks by a single death.

Yes. Their death was a sacrifice to reawaken their dead god.

It's been so long since I have, since new-age RPGs like to coddle players so they can't die.

The games I was in would just run out of steam and stop running once the DM and the other players got bored. Largely why I stopped bothering with RPGs and went back to wargaming.

A dying kraken managed to grab them with its last remaining claw while thrashing around and cut them in half in an instant with its dying breath. Needless to say, death was not expected especially since the kraken had ignored them the entire time and they hadn't even been hurt yet.
Then the DM pulled a curveball and resurrected them in some unknown place as an NPC as it was revealed that they weren't just a necromancer but the lich we've been tracking for months.

I didn't care for him too much because his stats were incredibly mediocre. I made him into a bit of a joke and had him go stupid barbarian in combat. He died a bit less glorious than I would have liked, but his replacement had far better stats and I moved on, keeping the deceased in everyone's memory.

After three straight sessions of rolling like shit, my character was pushed off a bridge by a scrawny weakling who rolled a 6 on his strength check. My character eventually stabilized and regained consciousness, but all of the bones in his body were broken and the rest of the party never came back to get him, so he just sat at the bottom of a gorge until he died of thirst. It was not a good death.

None of my PCs died across multiple DMs and campaigns. My very first character and the only one to make it to level 20 is like 70 (old as shit for a Half-Orc), has a family, and is still fighting the good fight by being an NPC

He wasn't expecting to die in session two except the GM misinterpreted / didn't read some of the rules around him and made the final decision he died. Then the GM resurrected me but made me beholden to his magical elf girl NPC. My guy thought he was just going to the bar with some friends that day.
[s] I want to quit but it's the only group I have and they're all my friends[/s]

Not when he woke up, no, but he knew he was going to die when he made up his mind to 1v1 the most trusted knight of our enemy.

To put some more perspective, we were hot on a warlock's trail, and after murderhoboing our way through a castle of his, he sicked his right-hand man on us to buy time for his escape.
And that one knight in particular had been responsible for the death of a duchess that had provided a great deal of aid for the party once, and that my crusader greatly admired.

So when he blocked our path, my character made up his mind, stepped ahead and literally said "You go on ahead. This one is mine."
Of course the knight intended to face us 1v5, but he was forced to let the others go when I bullrushed him out of the way. (this led to two battles being GM'd at once, crusader vs knight, and rest of party vs warlock)

It was a battle far out of the league of my character, the knight was a spellsword sort of warrior and hit like a dragon, and halfway through the fight, my crusader should by all rights be dead. He just wasn't because of the Immortal Fortitude stance (allows you to survive past -10 HP, so long as you pass a fortitude save), and I was rolling fairly well.
But the thing is, the stance only lasts for three attacks that would kill you, it ends after the third one. I managed to reset the stance once, then survive another three attacks that would kill me.
After this grueling ordeal, it was clear that the knight was on his last legs as well. My crusader had 1 hp, was hit by several debuff spells, had a tendon in his left leg cut due to a critical hit, but the enemy was also barely standing. If I healed myself I could maybe survive another round to set up the stance again.

But instead, I decided to hit him with a greater divine surge. A hit, some good damage rolls - and the foe was finally struck down. But the damage was done - Sir Henriot knelt, rested against his sword, and bled out due to the 25 points of delayed damage.

Attached: f67eda3703b35ca395c3a7a492843a22.jpg (1280x905, 230K)

He didn't expect it; he got overly cocky when fighting a couple of triceratops on his own, the obvious happened. To add insult to injury, he died while in a pile of their shit.

His predecessor had gotten a bit used to death, and started to expect it after the second time; he died four times in total before he said "fuck this, I have a family to look after" and left the party.

He woke up in a wagon, caged by hobgoblins, beeing carted off to be sold to deep dwarves.

He probably was sure he was going to die. Two others actually made it out.
Truth beeing told, the player wanted the character to die because he realized he was beeing too much of a that guy and couldnt think of a decent redemption arc for this prick of a character.

She not aware of it, got fall into a pit when bridge our party was standing to was fall apart and get impaled by falling stalagtites after pushing the other fighter out of the way . My GM deliberately create it at my request because i was going to focus on my notary exam.

She's latter ressurected thought after i returned. Apparently my party got accomodated by local witch doctor that giving the quest in the first place. It takes weeks, so they leave her into the witch doctor's hand.

When the process complete, she jumps up while screaming out of her lungs. She said it was the worse nightmares she ever had.

Died like an idiot in a hostage situation. 20 crossbows going off when he tried to beat the fat guy in his grapple unconscious. 3 missed, 2 hit the fat guy.
He died very disappointed in his team for putting him in that situation, and himself for not getting out of it.

It was a really tough session so he was somewhat expecting to die. I don't think he expected to die by being level drained down to zero.