/STG/ - Star Trek General

Paddies Day Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Modiphius takes down links for the ST:A core book and expansions. Look in the archives or ask someone to send it to you via discord. Or... you know... buy the rulebook(s).

Attached: F4B4EAE5-D92D-4DA5-BAB8-FBC8763B3DA6.gif (245x180, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Yesterday's_Enterprise_(episode)
youtu.be/auDquAt-pms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So I guess we're going with this one because the other one's previous thread link is broken?

Reminder that Ferengi could have been credible enemy faction, if they hadn't been so silly in the Last Outpost.
The other early episodes with Ferengi portrayed them rather well.

Attached: 1520692886097.jpg (720x720, 44K)

May as well.

Attached: 585B76A8-2893-4FEC-9EFF-7B9C804C2864.jpg (1440x1080, 276K)

Yup, even tough pirk > paddies

Alright anons.
You've just graduated from Starfleet Academy. What color are you wearing and where will you be working as a fresh ensign?
>Alternate Hard Mode: Flunked out, but maybe someone else is willing to hire a Starfleet trained person.

Attached: Archer 2.jpg (1400x1061, 407K)

The one with the Stargazer was pretty good, yeah.

They really went all out for that episode
>Picard's risen, singular throne, also placed level with tactical so they can communicate better
>Two tactical stations side by side
>Ops and Navigation moved closer to the captain
>Mesh screen under the wood arch
>retextured control arms
>Redone back pannels

Sciences (so blue), as for where, I'd prefer to start relatively simple, a station working on medical research, perhaps later a ship providing medical assistance in emergencies.

Personally my favourite iteration of the Galaxy Bridge.

Be grand, lad. We’ll just do Pirk next time.

That Andorian lady does not appear to be wearing underwear.

I'm trying to recall what season and episode this is from, any assistance?

>Engineering yellow
>Got top grades but focused too much on work so no one knows a thing about me and a complete lack of any club activity
>File is literally just a page with grades and a line saying "He's okay" by the professors
>Get overlooked by other captains who want exciting, interesting crew
>Get assigned to some shitty Oberth with a Vulcan Captain that only made captain because he's been there so long
>Crew spends all day meditating because we never get any assignments because we're routinely forgotten about by Starfleet Command
>Missed the entire Dominion War because we fell off the ship list again and while Admirals were fretting over not enough crew, we were fucking around Mars orbit, waiting for orders like the last 5 years.

The temperature is over freezing. She’d melt in any more clothes.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Yesterday's_Enterprise_(episode)

Cool, thank you user.
It's been a while since I last watched TNG, though it's on my To-Watch list on Netflix.

It's Saturday so sometime later today I'm gonna be bugging you guys with more Ophion storytime.

A couple of threads ago someone said I was advertising it here. That's not a wholly incorrect characterization but I didn't like how that sounded. Having posted here for so long I just wanted to share what was going on in my group with you guys. Let me know if it's annoying or my synopsis needs to be condensed.

I don't mind the session updates. Nice to get some OC in here.

Yeah. I enjoyed seeing the U.S.S. Kaneda crew logs OC that user was posting.

Haven’t had time to do more recently, got sick. Will try to keep up with it.

Please do. The crew interactions were enjoyable.

>USS Kaneda, NCC-65590
>Stardate 62149.2
>Lieutenant Edon Faren, Helm Officer’s Log Commence

>I spend months flitting around Narendara Station with runabouts flying the borders of the Shackleton Expanse on this errand or that, request transfer over and over to the first ship posting that needs a Conn expert and when I finally get one (on an Akira-class no less), what happens?
>I find out that the Second Officer is a Cardassian, the ONLY Cardassian in Starfleet no less.
>I should probably be more gracious there, given how badly things turned out for the Cardassian Union and how Bajor’s thriving, but it’s hard to stop thinking them as anything other then the wolf at our doorstep they always were when I was a kid.
>At least Jim’s here. I haven’t seen him since the War ended. I heard that Jemar died during some border skirmish with rogue Klingon pirates a few years back. If he’s dead then that just means Jim and I are the last members of the original Razorback crew left alive. Kind of sobering.
>The Kaneda handles pretty nice. She’s kitted up for general exploration (which is kind of odd, near every Akira I’ve ever been on was specced for Security) to explore the Expanse long-term, but she’s still got all those teeth the class has. No bumbling around unexplored space being outgunned by every new species we meet for me thank you, I’d like to be able to hit back if someone throws the first punch.

>I can’t figure out the Captain yet.
He’s a Vulcan so mostly he’s drier then the Vedek Assembly on a fast, but there’s sometimes I swear to the Prophets he’s actually telling a joke.

I'm literally Picard from Tapestry.

Hmmm isn't this set 6 years after the Dominion War? Bit young for a Vulcan Officer

Wearing red, I’m probably going to end up as the pilot for some science vessel.

>flunk out
Probably fly civvy ships. That or I’ll bail and go back to Earth to line on Fed-neetbux and study some spurious branch of the humanities.

Vulcan in TOS skirt uniform. Yes.

Not to mention the Andorian in the security equivalent.

>Also her hair is a smidge longer then the classic Vulcan Bowl Cut
I'm pretty sure none of the Vulcan women in TOS had the standard bowl cut. I don't think that started to be the standard until TNG.

Attached: 1520634628417.jpg (970x545, 120K)

Helmsman would probably be my preference. Maybe security.

Depends on the Era. Lately i've been eyeballing TOS era.
I personally lean towards Command since it eventually leads to the Big Chair, and of course we see them the most often in the shows.

>Graduate Starfleet *somehow*. Apparently telling your Conn officer to pre-preemptively strike the klinks during the Kobiyashi test is 'unbecoming of a starfleet officer'.
>Gold Shirt fits just right.
>Assigned to Conn of a Miranda class
>Stuck out on edge of the Beta sector because they need someone who won't crash into planets.
>Captain is solid 10/10 Vulcan Female. Would be hot, if she wasn't frosty. Great legs tho...

Ten years after, and the Captain is in his eighties.

TNG era, would be Command branch, specifically Conn to start out the career. Hopefully assigned to a starship as a shuttle pilot with plans to eventually transfer around, learn some stuff, and finally get into Command to sit in the big chair one day.

If I failed out somehow I'd probably join some neutral alliance of pilots and fly ships for cash because flying a starship sounds too fun to pass up.

They did seem to at least keep the straight bangs for the most part.

Attached: Startrekboom.jpg (866x605, 117K)

>Apparently telling your Conn officer to pre-preemptively strike the klinks during the Kobiyashi test is 'unbecoming of a starfleet officer'.

Going through the academy before TOS? Probably not so much, especially if you can reasonably justify it. Not so much once you actually reach command but even in TOS there's good points that you're going to want to shoot first against the Klingons.

(STD's pilot was not one of those circumstances because just leaving was the better option)

Yeah, good point.

I also like that she's a reoccuring character in the Core. Are there any others?

Attached: 1520724766399.jpg (970x545, 310K)

Just her actually. Just did a page by page on the ST:A book, she's the only recurring one, the captain as well from my previous picture. The only other one after this that isn't posted here so far is the Bridge scene with her running Conn/Tactical.

Attached: StarTrekAmbush.png (1016x609, 674K)

Should have added this to previous post to prevent clutter, I'll just tack in the final picture here then - And to answer the question, Prior to TOS, UFP/SF weren't at war with the Klingons so during the Kobiyashi Maru - having your Conn officer start firing on klingons right on the outset would be frowned upon. Since the Maru is sending a distress signal and didn't report it was the Klinks that disabled them.

Attached: StarTrekTOSbridge.png (1020x611, 786K)

>TOS Klinks with ridges

Canonically speaking, only SOME of the Klingon population was afflicted with the genetic damage caused by the Augment Virus.

I believe all the Klingons in the Movies had ridges

I like that these can be organized as a single sequence of events, too, plus one other image that the Vulcan isn't in but the Andorian and nurse from is.

Hang on...

Attached: Untitled.png (1016x2974, 4.76M)

For some Klingons the ridges were much smaller, though.

Shit, meant to include this image with that post.

Attached: Star_Trek_General_Chang_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1600.jpg (1600x1200, 1.14M)

Using your picture, I want to point out they're not all one scene.
Look at her Sleeves in 1,3,4 - I believes she's an Ensign or Lt. in them and Cmdr/Lt.Cmdr in the 2nd.
And if that's what we can go on for the 1,3,4 that all happened at once, and then Picture 2 comes later after a promotion and the look on her face says it all once more. that woman is a Vulcan with a lot of combat experience for a bridge officer.

LOOK! the ONE role where Drill Sargeant C Plummer got to do something apart from play himself!!!

>and no one fucking remembers him for it. remembering SHOW ME YOUR WARFACE instead.

show me your war face was gunny, not plummer

Also, I can't count apparently. 1,3, 5 is the picture order for Ensign/LT rank.

Oh, nice catch. Didn't notice that. Damn. If that's the case than yeah, that's a lot of combat experience. And also a lot of wrecked ships.

The riveted-on eyepatch is still one of the best little details on any character design in Star Trek.

Klingon war mebbe?

That would be me, but it was for someone looking for STA game he could watch that was not SoT, so there was no hostile intend.

And looking back to the uniform...
Look at the Command patch on the uniforms - That's the Enterprises uniform badge.
Each ship had different patches designed for each command.

Oh I know. It was my personal feeling about the word.

Pic Related

Attached: TOS uniform insignia.jpg (1000x692, 1008K)

>Each ship had different patches designed for each command.
Is STA actually going by that, or are they going by the patches being by branch instead of by ship like the original behind-the-scenes intent?

Yes. It's in the core book.

Attached: Capture.png (653x382, 76K)

I'm gonna say art cock-up in that case, but an understandable one.

Could be Pre-Kirk assuming command? Or possibly one of the few times they had Kirk on bridge without the usual suspects (2nd or 3rd shift)

Someone's getting killed.

Pre-Kirk uniform is different, well, even 2nd pilot episode of TOS is different uniform. There's not really any time for there to be an alternate crew anywhere whilst maintaining the 2266+ TOS style of set and uniforms.

Attached: Spock_and_Kirk_(2265).jpg (1440x1080, 392K)

Security Red. Almost flunked out of Starfleet academy. Got in lots of trouble, tried beating the Kobayashi Maru by sleeping with the instructor. Was almost kicked out. Currently stationed on an in-system patrol craft, crewed by other fuck-ups that they didn't want out in deep space.

Attached: 1481460763371.gif (305x145, 5.08M)

AHM initiatied. Post safeties disabled.
Brown leather jacket and stubble. Flunk out of academy due to abuse of learning drugs and cheating, because of insecurity and imposter syndrome. Get lecture from mentor about having squandered lots of actual promise and ability.
Start drinking, bum around Fed space, further and further out. Use security training for nefarious purposes. Fall in with a black marketeer and before long start working for the Orion Syndicate. End up trying to square debt by accepting assassination job on an informer who ran back to Earth. Track said informer back all the way to the academy, where they're being debriefed. Sneak in to close the contract. Take position above engineering lab to fire compression rifle.
Get neck snapped by Professor O'Brien.

True, Art Department went off what they saw the most of (TOS-Era Ent uniforms and their insidiously good looking insignia.)

That's glorious, holy shit I forgot about that scene.

Attached: BreyjaSarnOps.png (353x668, 355K)

That was one of those scenes where you realised just how hilarious Brent Spiner could be. Also how good an actor he was/is.

So Ophion had some technical difficulties today so a brief portion of the player audio was muted. Unfortunately it was at at a particularly intense scene.
So we left off mediating a trade deal with the Skorpi and Ferengi. We managed to finish that rather fast and took on a couple of Skorpi as crew members, after a brief renovation of skickbay and some quarters.
Returning to our designated path of exploration , Q decided to stop by and warn up about a nearby nebula. So of course we hightail it over to poke our nose in. We found something a bit more than we were expecting.

Attached: RyE1Pz2.png (922x568, 1021K)

You got in a bar fight caused by your idiot friend, lost the girl, your hair, and the fight, and have an artificial heart?

AND you're being harassed by an omnipotent being for no good reason?

Sucks to be you user I'm sorry to hear that.

I figured user meant a low-ranking science officer that never did anything to encourage promotions.

Which would also probably be me.

Hey - Keeping your head down and staying out of sight counts for something on performance reviews. Had one character play 4-5 sessions. His Engineer spent each one of them showing up, performing a feat of miraculous Engineering (his Job.) And then stating his character slips off to go fix other shit while the rest of the crew is faffing about and getting the ship shot up by Cardassians...
His character got pretty good at Ninja-fixing shit before the crew even realized it was broken. Think we ended the game/career with him passing up the big chair for chief engineer on a Galaxy.

Any word on that game sitch?

Watch out, Janeway might take you on an away mission.

Yup - Go check the Star Trek channel on the discord - Just need you all to figure out Roles and stations.

Attached: 13.3 Starship Sheet - USS Nebuchadnezzar.pdf (PDF, 252K)

That sounds like the weirdest sexual euphemism ever.

>Be science officer.
>Never noticed, life is quiet.
>Cataloged Quasar this morning.
>Pulled from job, Handed tricorder, stuck in Dunabe.
>Never been on away mission before.
>Ohboy.jpg
>Mfw planet rains acid & pic is related.

Attached: FaceMelted.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Voyager was nearly as bad as TOS was sometimes. It’s wonder there was anybody LEFT on the Voyager except Chakotay, Janeway, the Doctor, and Jeri Ryan’s ass.

Attached: 9853BF43-F51A-4D8A-B06F-7F57B2862D77.gif (260x380, 2.22M)

Even TOS wasn't that bad. A lot of guys who snuffed it in that weren't part of the crew but yellow-shirts who appeared in that episode. Unless you were from Security.

THEN you were fucked. Off the top of my head I think out of the 20 man security detachment that they started with on that 5 year mission, one guy survived. Maybe. Assuming they didn't take on extra guys midway.

Conversely, as always, if you wanted a near 100% survival chance on Enterprise? Wear a blue shirt. NOT A BLUE JUMP SUIT. SHIRT. The difference may save your life.

Come to think of it, why DID starfleet largely phase out those various workers jumpsuits?

Because retroactively budgets got smaller? I dunno.

I dunno, were talking about what appeared to be a nylon jumpsuit, getting everybody onset a properly tailored uniform probably would cost a lot more.

It's not a bad look really either. I dunno, maybe it just didn't work as the sets went a lot less bright primary color in TNG?

Attached: H3257-L96348181.jpg (750x562, 35K)

It's a shame those outfits caused Jeri Ryan so much discomfort, but man were they rewarding. I think the silver was the main one she hated, though.

She pulled off that science officer uniform very well, too.

Attached: humanerror_082.jpg (709x530, 72K)

The silver one, yeah.
She literally had to be glued into it.

>troi after jelly-co
>seven in that ep
>t'pol in the alt-timeline archer memory loss ep
They always look better in a real uniform.

They seem to have been crewmen in TOS, rather than ensigns or whatevers. Non-graduates, like O'Brien. It's a little bit fucked because Star Trek was never written with the original intention of being a true-life representation of what a space navy would be like, and so it draws on little bits of military lore from all over (instead of the single tradition you might expect, the way air forces tend to draw from the armies they were originally air corps of). To be honest, the show was supposed to be about stories, not the trappings of sci-fi, it just happened to be easier to tell them that way.

But sometime after TMP the uniforms (which are markedly complex in TMP, with like eight different kinds minimum) are simplified, and I think with the Bozeman kit crewmen are no longer visually distinguished - it also seems to be around this time that engineers stop wearing hazard gear routinely and security takes off those damn hockey pads and boxing helms - though I think for the sake of filmic budgets there may still be a few floating extras in backgrounds who are just wearing a jumpsuit.

Then by TNG the crewman is back with a vengeance, but in TNG of course there are civilians on every ship - even old buckets like the Saratoga - so these might not be starfleet crewmen at all, but civilian contractors, for want of a better analogy. They disappear with the families, and in Voyager, crewmen just have a different pip style. Notably O'Brien's also changes between TNG and DS9 - he gets a dog-tag looking thing instead of two pips, which is different again to Voyager's Maquis pips, which are presumably a contingent pip style for that kind of thing.

Ironically the jumpsuit origins of all Starfleet uniforms seem to have ended just a few years prior to TOS.

HEY

I COULD LIVE ON THAT ASS

DON'T YOU TALK ILL OF THE ASS

The silver I believe felt like a corset (if you look at it you can see the 'outline' of her borg implants and pretty much everything else) before they got her in one of the the other suits. 7 of 9 will never not be awesome.

Attached: 7of9.jpg (1200x1500, 808K)

And yet they kept making the same mistake

Weirdly, despite not being at all attracted to Borg Seven in Scorpion, Borg Seven in Shattered is extremely hot. I think it's the voice modulation they did, or maybe that she's played with a nod and a wink.

Jeri Ryan more like Very Pretty

The TOS-era skirts were never easy to film certain kinds of shot (and with the prevalence of jefferies tube shots in TNG and onward, basically the skants were unusable if the network wanted to get the shows out on time without complaints), and every other uniform has black pants until Enterprise and STD, which are both jumpsuits.

There's still a lot of quiet ass shots when female characters are climbing ladders or whatever, but the ones you're supposed to notice - Seven, Troi, T'Pol, even Kira to an extent - get a highlighter dragged across them.

I wasn’t talking ill of the ass, I was speaking of character importance.

WELL OK

ALL CAPS WITHDRAWN

>The TOS-era skirts were never easy to film certain kinds of shot (and with the prevalence of jefferies tube shots in TNG and onward, basically the skants were unusable if the network wanted to get the shows out on time without complaints)

Seems like bike shorts would be the answer there.

Yeah, apparently the corset looked like this. Borg ribs were there to hide some parts of it, and there were boob pads to make sure they still looked perky.

Attached: 7_of_9_frontUnder.jpg (383x500, 37K)

You're still basically looking up a woman's dress with those kinds of shots though, which is what the censors are going to pick out (and if you could get it past them, what the green ink brigade are going to pick out).

Within the wider social context in which TOS and even TNG debuted, those kind of shots on that kind of network at that kind of time was a big no.

By the time tv had changed (I'm thinking specifically of those memorable Tricia Helfer shots in the red dress that were everywhere when BSG rebooted), Star Trek was already pretty well defined without that kind of thing, and as we all know, Trekkies hate change or deviation from what has gone before.

I for one loved the Mirror universe uniforms.

Attached: Uhura- Mirror-Star-Trek-Ongoing-zoe-saldana-as-uhura-32825562-482-661.jpg (482x661, 62K)

STO should man up and add male versions of Seven's catsuits.

>By the time tv had changed (I'm thinking specifically of those memorable Tricia Helfer shots in the red dress that were everywhere when BSG rebooted), Star Trek was already pretty well defined without that kind of thing, and as we all know, Trekkies hate change or deviation from what has gone before.

I think one of the things people like about Trek that sort of divides it from newer sci-fi is that even between all the character drama and relationships people had during the shows it was pretty clear that they were supposed to be adult professionals doing their jobs.
A lot of TV shows have characters way overacting their emotional conflicts in a way that looks like a bunch of high school students in a hallway fight or classroom argument might, rather then as adults who have friction at work might act most of the time, partially because Hollywood tends to draw from the “black and white handsome centerfold” actors with modeling careers on the side rather then “actually got their acting chops in theater and learned to project properly” types that Trek classically drew from.

Sound effects are WAY important to a proper iconic sci-fi setting.
youtu.be/auDquAt-pms
Even JJTrek knew that.

>Trekkies hate change or deviation from what has gone before.
If that were true DS9 would be loathed.

No, we hate when the entire spirit of what the setting is supposed to be about is chucked in the trash because it's not edgy or "modern" enough. Such as in JJTrek and STD.

The sad thing is, the way Abrams goes on about Trek is I’m sure he enjoys it. He just also can’t direct a movie based off it and perhaps has flaws rememberences.

No, he flat out said he never "got" Star Trek, but loved Wars.

Oh. Lame.

I would unironically love that.

>get ds9 companion
>it's a fucking softcover

Attached: aint gonna forgive.jpg (416x578, 62K)

I never noticed, but Pike and Robocop are both wearing a less ugly version of the TMP uniforms.

Attached: uniforms.png (1247x479, 675K)