Netrunner General

>Council of the Crest is out now
netrunnerdb.com/en/set/cotc/rulings

>New MWL 2.1
Article: fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/21/crime-never-ends/
Image: images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/d1/8a/d18a385b-069b-4782-b35b-6c1829162222/adn_mwl_v21compressed.pdf

Changes:
>Banned:
Violet Level Clearence

>Resticted:
Rumor Mill (was Banned)
Tapwrm
Whampoa Reclamation
Mother Goddess
Brain Rewiring
Mumbad City Hall (was Banned)

>What is Android: Netrunner?
youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

>How to play Android: Netrunner (TeamCovenant)
youtube.com/watch?v=vvRwynAp5tI&list=PLmHifZPFC_JvQZA4qgdAQEarHAJKjkbhA

>Where to play it online (replace spaces with dots):
Jinteki net

Try "Why I Run", great for prospective Runners looking for a hands-on demo on how Running works (replace spaces with dots):
www nagnazul com/whyirun/whyirun.html

>Deckbuilding Resources:
netrunnerdb.com/
meteor.stimhack.com/
acoo.net

>More Resources, blogs, podcasts
pastebin.com/rRDjAUxN

Attached: news hound.png (300x418, 290K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/6/reign-and-reverie/
reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/7tjqx9/down_the_white_nile_card_reviews_for_netrunner/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PU grind is obviously going to be top in the category, but anyone else been toying with Weyland tools? Managed to get results within faction?

I'm more of a Jinteki guy, but with the new ID getting cheaper illicit ICE I'm giving them another looksie. Bulwark is now downright reasonable.

What are the best barriers against paperclip?

By the numbers I'd say either high strength barriers that force paperclip to pay out the ass anyway, or low cost barriers that disproportionately tax the runner, but that isn't an answer.

I've toyed with some variations as early as Underway Renovation's release (one highlight: leaving an Underway on the table after scoring an Utopia Fragment and just proceeding to eat the stack away over-advancing) and I definitely think there could be something here mixing up damage as *tax* on top of the stack attacks, but I never managed to get the thing off the ground past the fun/novelty deck stage.

If in the heap: any barrier preceded by Jua.
If not, I like Heimdall 2.0 or (on the cheap) Asteroid Belt myself, but I'm a sucker for big ICE play when I can afford.
Data Ward/Pachinko if you can reliably land a tag beforehand.
Playing rush: Hive.
I miss Snowflake/Curtain I must say, as silly as it may sound.
If you can get the math off, Tithonium. Extremely satisfying being able to trash a Paperclip via Thitonium because they didn't expect you to be within that threat threshold. But yeah, it's more a surprise thing than anything.

Friend of mine loves Quicksand. Not convinced myself.

While I'm at it on the subject of the new ID, I must say I just loved the "family owned and operated" line.
Unashamedly frank.

Seems like a lot of investment for a gimmick, but I guess that's why it's a novelty thing.

It's a fun thing to throw in. I'm half expecting the don to be in a future release.

>Seems like a lot of investment for a gimmick

Yes and no. The main issue with Weyland was always that damage as taxation wasn't really cutting it. Not enough options.
But with said number of options rising (Unerway, BoN, Bloodletter, Clyde van Rite, Wake up Call, Urban Renewal... Show of Force I guess, maybe even Fractal Threat Matrix... add Housekeeping support right into it) you can go in a new interesting direction: either the corp will kill the runner - even if only eventually after getting the whole stack out of the way - or turn the damage tax into an econ tax that open windows.

The big trouble is that the strat seems to occupy a weird zone in-between NBN and Jinteki more usual color pie.

I don't know. I like to play this, and would really like it to be a thing.

It's weird right now. NBN has to splash some Weyland to make tags punishing, but Weyland might have to splash some outside things to do it's kills. I don't know how to feel about this.

Really? I'm thinking the weird space between NBN/Weyland in tag punishment might the healthiest it's ever been.

NBN always had to import very little in killing options while having numerous, robust tagging tech.
Weyland had the meaty (pun intended) killing stuff, but couldn't import enough tagging from other sources to ever even be close to NBN efficiency in killing.
Which made the yellow bastards better than the jade goons at their own game.

Now with the 2.0 tag paradigm and designers feeling like they have a lot more leeway into giving Weyland tagging options, I feel like things are getting interesting. With NBN still able to punish tags in very strong ways (Closed Accounts, All Seeing I, Exchange of Information, but also Quantum Predictive Model, Self-Growth Program... hell thinking back on anti Paperclip tech up there, Henry Phillips on that Data Ward server seems like fun), and Weyland giving some very uncomfortable decisions to the runner.

One card I'm really going to have to move my lazy ass and at least try to build around once: Drone Screen.

Perhaps the OP might want to mention the next deluxe box in the thread after this.

It has been the case for most of the game’s history.

Vanilla. To actually force the install or it’s a lockout (turtle aside).

That, or perhaps Bastion for general purposes.

I gotta say I'm liking the Kitara agendas, BUT: I really do hope they aren't the future for agendas going forward/power creep off them.

I could've won a game today if time wasn't an issue by figuring out how to get past 3+ ICE with gaining credits for another 1-4 turns to steal the HB "you need to spend a click to steal this" Agendas in Archives. So I lost the game based on Agenda points earned (Corp had more) because of it.

>Friend of mine loves Quicksand. Not convinced myself.

Quicksand is good if 1) they run that server multiple times 2) they are eventually ran out of money.

Even with Paperclip in play, pre-Kitara it was IMO great. But with Kitara cards out that do Virus and other shenanigans it's not as great. It's good for a "cheap" "self-advance" ICE, but you shouldn't rely on it protecting the servers by itself.

Tithonium is good against Paperclip only as you say: As a surprise/can't-break rez and ONLY if you are able to RFG their Paperclip(s).

Honestly, I kinda wish they'd do something about how prevalent the Conspiracy breakers are in the meta. Maybe it's just me, but like 90% of Runners are running them (Paperclip mostly, the other two less so but still...) because you're able to recoup them easy even if you run into trouble unless they have Arc Lockdown/Skorpios ID/Salems->Lockdown. It's like "why *wouldn't* you include them?"

To be fair, those defensive 5/3s are neutered by a very popular restricted card, and even without her around, can still be played around (some more so then others). If they didn't have such significant self-protection, no one would bother slotting them to begin with.

It would makes things *very* uncomfortable for many (or most) players if 'clippy ended up restricted.

Attached: Bad Times.jpg (792x612, 549K)

I don't really like what clippy does to deck building, and my deck uses clippy but doesn't need it, so I wouldn't mind it.

I'm still surprised death servers in Weyland aren't as popular as they could be. Lack of an ID to properly take advantage of it maybe?

Only uncomfortable in the sense of needing to try new things. Anarchs would have Berserker, Morning Star, Nfr + Suckers or the Shaper thing that lets you add strength, Crim has Demara, Saker, and Breach, and Shaper has Battering Ram, Ankusa, and Inti. None of them are as good as Paperclip, but that's a good thing in my opinion.

A Big W deck that is reliably top tier now!?!

Can potentially win by T4 no less!

Attached: Titan_EmilioRodriguez.jpg (560x748, 336K)

>If they didn't have such significant self-protection, no one would bother slotting them to begin with.

I mean, yeah. Like I said: I don't mind them and they're an interesting twist on the concept of stealing Agendas in terms of the "cycle" theme (dunno how to word that, think Magic's experimenting with new ideas but maybe less dumb?). I just hope they aren't the future because hail-mary runs on Archives to see if flooding or "they won't look there" wins won't happen, and honestly: We just got rid of Jackson not even half a year ago that basically solved that "problem." We don't need thousands of such cards. *shrug* Maybe wording that poorly, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Again: Not opposed to them and they do give interesting dilemmas. Just hoping we don't get thousands of them.

As for Paperclip: I agree. But:

>Only uncomfortable in the sense of needing to try new things. Anarchs would have Berserker, Morning Star, Nfr + Suckers or the Shaper thing that lets you add strength, Crim has Demara, Saker, and Breach, and Shaper has Battering Ram, Ankusa, and Inti

Exactly.

IMO (and hopefully Boggs will think the same): I'd restrict the Conspiracy Breakers and maybe Aukumara (it's not *that* bad, but I do wish other AI's were used). Along with stopping some "infinite turn" combo decks.

Individually the pieces of those combos (or the card choices themselves) aren't bad. But when put together they do have a problem.

I *DO* think that Boggs is steering the game to a better (post-Damon/power-creep) position, but there's still some bullshit that makes me nearly want to give up on the game.

I don't, because I do enjoy the gameplay. It's just some card interactions are "ugh, really? That's legal?"

T4 is pretty fast, which one?

The new lot of Titan Rush (Swear to Gods).

Assuming a semi-decent hand, its Hostile, then triple Atlas over 4 turns.

Cache Refresh does not feature 'clippy, so its a good set of data to see what happens if its out of the picture. So far its manageable at least.

The turtle being restricted would be yet another nail on the coffin contains what poor residue crims in general have been reduced to. Even Geist would be wreaked.

Yeah, like I said I don't think Aukumara is bad. I just hate that it's so prevaliant outside of Criminal.

Honestly, Boggs' influence with the Kitara Cycle cards (IIRC it's his fully and not His/Damon?) is a good sign of things to come. Stuff like the reprinted Account Syphon being 5-influence means that (hopefully) they aren't afraid of going "no, you don't get 3 of these obviously good in other faction cards because they're designed for the faction they're printed under."

I haven't done Cache Refresh, but I've done 1.1.1.1 and "Modern"/"Coretara" formats and the limited card pool is a *HUGE* breath of fresh air and helps bring power levels down. I really do wish the majority of the player base on AND off Jinteki (eg: FLGS's) would stop with the "tournament MWL-only. Final destination" and actually do more formats.

If there's something that Magic does well, it's that there is various formats with their own share of problems that you can go to a night for and have a fun time in the one you enjoy. Netrunner doesn't really have that despite people "inventing" numerous formats.

I really wish Jinteki would have a format title-bar so I could at least fish for Modern decks instead of having to ask people "Modern? Modern? Is this Modern compliant? (Whats modern?) *headdesk*"

CR is pretty good and is pretty noob-friendly, especially now that Flashpoint stuff have 'rotated'. Being limited to just a single core akin to onesies is an interesting deck building challenge.

'Modern' does sound like a nice step up from Core-only games (its just 1-3 cores and Kitara now right?), but I guess players might be more familiar with CR since its at least a FFG-recognised format.

It would be nice to have another format on Jnet, but I daresay a core-only tag would be more likely to appear first (due to new players) then 'modern'. As it is, I hardly see any 'onesies' games though.

I swear the "crim is dead" meme irritates me more than the time of infinite asset spam and Whizzards.

>If there's something that Magic does well, it's that there is various formats with their own share of problems that you can go to a night for and have a fun time in the one you enjoy. Netrunner doesn't really have that despite people "inventing" numerous formats.
That's really up to either the FLGS owner or an organizer. And finding people to do that willingly is like finding a diamond in dirt.

Because clearly what is supposed to be a major faction being less viable then even the mini-factions is supposed to be a 'good' thing how?

Yes yes, keep ignoring the viability of testing new avenues for Crim play in and out of the tournament scene while spouting "d-doesn't count" and worshipping tournament statistics more than actually building your own decks and playing the game.

NBN has their org crime section in Mumbad, and now Big W has theirs in ChiLo. Presumably jinteki has the yaks, so that does HB have in the dank underworld (aside from Adam)?

Attached: CLark-Huggins_Contract-Killer.jpg (1350x949, 714K)

That doesn't answer the underlying issues with crims.

Sure we have that Kite Runner Deck by Timmy, and Geist is still decent (even if many don't consider him a 'proper' crim), but there are still so many issues keeping them down. That combined with the general improvements to most corp decks makes testing them a daunting prospect for hard-core players, nevermind more casual ones.

Sure you could get super janky/meme homebrews, but at this point why not just go with the other factions and save the disappointment?

Is Smoke stealth actually viable? Just how good is stealth econ comparatively?

She can still do reasonably well, but she will struggle vs rush or net damage decks because of the setup required. Should do decently well vs glaciers at least.

Breaker-wise, the only type she 'has' to import is paperclip vs barriers (because Blackstone is mediocre), so some real creds is needed as a result.

Attached: Smoke_AuroreFolny.jpg (857x1200, 186K)

Is Blackstone just mediocre in general, or just mediocre because compared to Paperclip everything is mediocre?

>why have fun with a faction you like instead of netdecking hyperefficient decks from the serious players and bragging about it like you did anything because "muh winrates"

Mediocre due to Paperclip I guess, Blackstone is less granular and needs more real credits than the usual stealth breakers so that's a factor too. Also annoying is you don't get a boosted effect for using more than a single stealth credit.

If you got all the time in the world to do crazy jank, more power to you. Most of us barely have enough time to skim workable decks, make a minor change or 2, and hope for the best when actually playing.

And again, I don't see any counter-arguments on why crims in general isn't the objectively worst main runner faction right now.

I guess it could be the second bit. While its alright if you know the corp just uses cheap gear check barriers, once you start seeing barriers above str 3 (IP block, stacked Seidr, bastion, chiyashi, et al), it becomes hideously expensive to use continually.

>admits he doesn't play much
>still trying to force memes
No use giving a counter argument against anyone that uses hyperbolics to describe the state of a faction that just lost their crutches, especially when I can see a "b-but they didn't win anything" coming.

>Why yes we would love to pretend everything is hunky-dory!

Even before they 'lost their crutches', crims in general still had to import pretty much *everything* (breakers, multiaccess, hell even draw!) just to be anywhere near par to the other main factions. And now that those 'crutches' are gone, their situation has gone even worse, with barely anything to compensate. As much as we love Mr Boggs and his significant efforts to improve the game, there is still places where it can be further improved.

And frankly, like it or not, most players would rather have a deck that has a decent fighting chance to begin with.

>why yes lets call attention to it every single day like a passive aggressive bitch because everyone needs to know about this even if they can't do anything!
You sound like an old aunt that hears about a guy opening a store nearby and starts telling every single neighbour you meet about his previous five failed businesses whether or not he actually had a part in them failing or whether they had any relation to the current store or not. And I love how you just ignore the first few years of the game where Crims were all that was worth playing and basically lead to them not getting anything from Sansan forward.

Why yes, crims were the faction to beat at one point, but as you say, it was the distant past, and it would be very generous to say they received anything significant post Spin (before SanSan) cycle. And that includes their own big box.

Funny thing though, it was the anarchs that went from where crims are now (ie the dumps) to being supercharged monsters right around when the decline became apparent, courtesy of their own big box kicking things off. And unlike the former, the anarchs are still very prominent everywhere, with decent support even now.

And fwiw, even with just the Core set, it is much easier to go with CT, or even Reina, compared to Gabe. It is those sort of impressions what imprints upon new players when they expand.

Regardless, enough bytes have been spilled about this unfortunate situation. One hopes reg crims can be finally playable before the coming of the next cycle.

>no tournament winning decks to steal
>"lol unplayable xD"

Oh hey, a Netrunner thread.
What's Netrunner's lore like? Any official novels, stories, anything? I've only really experienced the setting through card art and flavor text, but it feels like there's more that I'm missing.

Pastebin in the OP has a lore book and some novels, there's also a few novella available which I really need to get around to buying.

Other then the stuff in the pastebin, not a whole lot unfortunately. There might be scans of the pack inserts somewhere, but even for those the amount of lore varies significantly (Mars ones had mere paragraphs compared to a page from Kitara ones.).

So what are everyone’s thoughts about Caprice’s ‘older’ sister?

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/6/reign-and-reverie/

Something for the next OP.

Also, DJ Steve is in da house!

I thought Steev was off playing TI4

Who knows? He is probably done ascending the Throne as APEX.

Attached: prey_by_ethanpatrickharris-d9cakum.jpg (900x706, 210K)

Yeah. It's 1-3 Core and Kitara (whatever the current release Data Pack/cycles is. So it'd be for the next Cycle Core + Data Pack 1 until 2 releases until 3 releases...)

reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/7tjqx9/down_the_white_nile_card_reviews_for_netrunner/

I tried to play it on Jinteki, but only like one person had it.

If going by MtG terminology, wouldn't that be Standard instead of Modern? Although given that Netrunner 'standard' is essentially MtG Modern, I guess there can be some confusion from that.

>That's really up to either the FLGS owner or an organizer. And finding people to do that willingly is like finding a diamond in dirt.

Yeah, which is the problem. A lot of the Netrunner playerbase seems stuck to the "tournament only MWL ruleset" even during casual nights. I guess I should bring it up at the next one and see if anyone is interested in the other formats to play around.

>It would be nice to have another format on Jnet, but I daresay a core-only tag would be more likely to appear first (due to new players) then 'modern'. As it is, I hardly see any 'onesies' games though.

I'm talking in general. Like even if I want "Core + Genesis only" people outright ignore that. Having some custom "[Format/What you're looking for]" with a longer character limit would probably help. But I feel it's a symptom of people using "Casual" as if it's "tournament only but slower so you can think" and just slamming "join game" on whatever is bubbling at the top.

I agree, had a bit of trouble figuring out what Modern was too. Don't know what you could replace it with though, any tech slang for "newest version of a thing"?

>I guess I should bring it up at the next one and see if anyone is interested in the other formats to play around.
Go for it, probably announce it early somewhere for people to catch wind of it, or build a fixed schedule for a day to have certain formats the way Magic does.

I have a hard time sympathizing with the competitive Criminal blues when so much playable stuff exist for the faction outside of competition. Los has been pretty good against rush. Geist is Geist. Leela is still a fucking monster when piloted right. A simple good Stuff Cambridge deck is incredibly good value... Fisk isn't in a bad place at all right now (and is bound to get better soon).

That being said, I can see where those people are coming from.
So let's put up a theory: the early years of crim dominance was a designer mistake. In that, it literally wasn't meant to happen, and only occurred because so much of the Anarch good stuff was way too undervalued influence-wise. Which created a very strong imbalance. The very same Crims have been suffering from for a while now, for lack of high influence/power cards released for the faction (though the last two cycles have been doing better).
So one thing is, a lot of people want to play and get back to that early years crim style. And it's not going to happen because it was never meant to happen, and the designers so far have been a lot more careful about plugging that hole.

But then, yes, there's been the plucking of good crim cards. With just Temüjin removed and Tapworm restricted, all in the midst of the 2.0 economy happening, the new derez paradigm for crims has been hurt significantly, for one.
If you compare the new derez options (Flashbang, Rubicon Switch, the Raptors, Brute-Force-Hack, Leave no Trace and Exploit) with Crecentus and the cutlery set, you can see how it's meant to happen a lot more often than ICE destruction, but with a higher cost to still put a dampen on the strat. And with their strongest money-making tools out the window, crims have a hard time looking good in comparison.
But I don't think it warrants all the doom and gloom.

The problem with Criminal is that the cards that are good for them, are REALLY good for the other factions. Example: Temujin Contract. While it's good in Criminal, it's a "slam-dunk sure import" for the other factions.

Honestly, I'm thinking that cards that are "intended for this faction only because that's their 'flavor' in the color pie" should possibly introduce a 6-10 influence hit (thereby deterring importing) And/Or "This card can only be used by identities."

That might hamper the actual card design though. But DJ Fenris is G-mod idenities for it's introducing gimmick only, so I don't think limiting certain cards like Temujin to Criminal only would be a super radical handicap in the design space.

I'm not the one that made the name. It's just what popped up on Reddit and is what the Australian Netrunner community that is running it seems to have named it.

That's the thing, yes, Quicksand is cool on a server you know is going to get hammered. But pretty much a dud on something that won't.
I like the card, but it's pretty much one where I don't know where I stand as far as Paperclip is concerned.

Not going back to that conversation, but I'm still thinking Temüjin suffered from low influence syndrome AND not limiting the cash to the runs being made.
A lot of cards in Flashpoint/Mars seem to me like they suffered from wording/templating issues and last minute balance patches getting haywire (I mean, just look at Khan and Obokata).

RnD is almost a guaranteed shot for Quicksand really. Then you can throw the extra ice over to HQ. With the doggo algorithm, +2 per run will exhaust even Paperclip.

I must say, looking at the state of the restricted list right now, I don't think adding Paperclip would be all that good. Yeah ok, it would limit it out of faction, but it would still be pretty much auto-include for Anarchs - not much competition for the slot.
I must say I wouldn't be against seeing it removed next iteration just to put a kick in the ant-hill and see where it leads people.
I men, that's one advantage of having a faster moving MWL, isn't it? More freedom to experiment.

And with BlacKat, NFR, Yussuf, Morning Star and Berserker in the pool, Anarchs are not going to be found wanting for options that cover a large selection of situations. And each come with strings attached.

>With the doggo algorithm

Yeah, my friend does that. Loves the stuff. Get a giddy childish joy out of seeing the numbers rising.

Lots of red decks run e-strikes (Levy's for MaXx) for their restricted card, so losing that would be most inconvenient if they want to keep 'clippy.

I think they do because it's free. Do you recon they would put e-strike over Paperclip? Would that even be a debate?
Good point on MaxX.

Yeah, both Paperclip and Aumakua are poor restriction targets, since neither of the two factions have specific *needs* for a different restricted card beyond flexibility, and in the case of the latter it's kicking a faction while it's down. Atleast Kitara has been refreshingly liberal with it's influence distribution.

Forgot to mention that cool Nero deck, so if you're out there user, apologies.

Might be mistaken, but I seem to remember Kitara being Damon's last as lead.
Doesn't say how much influence each cook had in the handling, but I definitely don't think it's all Boggs.

Underway+Casting Call is always fun.

I play a scorp deck that's centered around setting up that drill with plenty of tags to get to it. If you dismantle the drill, you get boomed. If the drill keeps going, I remove a lot of valuable pieces from the game. It falls apart to crim shenanigans, of all things, but I'm told it's super oppressive to play against.

I miss Posted Bounty/Casting Call, but this is pretty good too.
I like the sound of that deck by the way.

>but it would still be pretty much auto-include for Anarchs

That's not the problem. The problem (like Temujin) is that it's imported EVERYWHERE ELSE because "why wouldn't you? It's stupid good."

If the cards stayed in Faction, and people played said faction ID's, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it's Ubiquitious use. It's when the cards are so stupid good that you WANT to import them to other factions because no other importing card is as good that it becomes a problem.

>That's not the problem.

Might not be yours. I sill think it is. A huge one even. When you have six competing options in faction and only one gets played as it outshines everything else, there is something to be done.

>Presumably jinteki has the yaks
Definitely do

Attached: Fumiko Yamamori.png (600x601, 546K)

Nisei kill deck... god I love that shit.

I have a couple versions I bounce between.

One is all Sentries to make those Hunter-Seekers worth a lot. But the latest is just full of ETR ICE to emphasize the Fractal Threat grind. (It worked in my Valley Cybernetics deck, thought it might work here.)

Biggest problem is Critic obviously, Hunter-Seeker helps, but hitting breakers, especially Paperclip seems to bear more fruit.

Where's the best place to buy sets? Amazon doesn't seem to have a lot of stock.

Also, is there a Discord or something for more consistent discussion? General seems to die pretty often.

Pretty sure stimhack maintains a discord, don't know the details though.

so I bought into Netrunner back when it got rebooted. Picked up a starter set, played with it a little, had fun. Was starting to look into expansions when I caught the Brain Sick and got to spend a few years in the nice hospital with the happy drugs. Now that I'm back on my feet I'm looking and see the game's rebooted?

Is my starter now useless? If I wanted to buy more stuff... what do I do? Not interested in playing tournaments at all.

re-rebooted with 2.0 I should say.

Not a reboot, just a rotation. A lot of cards from core were pretty degenerate so they rotated them out, but all of the cards in the revised core set were from core, spin, and genesis cycles, so if you had those you already have everything that's legal in revised core.

If you look at the list (see here), most of your 1.0 cards are still pretty much valid in 2.0. Anything you'll want to expand on, just remember rotation with Genesis and Spin now out of the competitive pool - though a few staple cards now in 2.0.
Honestly, since you're not into competitive stuff, just warn people you're coming back to the game and have a limited card pool. I don't think anyone will hold that against you. Just nice enough to have one more player.

Then after seeing things in action, you can judge what you want to play.

Attached: adn49_cardlist.pdf (PDF, 1.15M)

Nah, I just had the Core 1.0 box.

Good to know. I really enjoyed playing Corp the few times I got to play, so I'll keep that in mind when I start buying again.

I played against a classic Noise deck just a dozen days ago.
Way I see it, someone brings a single core 1.0 deck, you just warn things might be a bit awkward in play, offer to present your deck so the new cards don't come as a total surprise, in case the player hates that, and then you play.
Don't let lack of cards bother you. I mean, coming back, you're more likely to lose due to lack of experience than lack of cards.

Stimhack and Reddit have a Discord, both are dead. "StimSlack"/Stimhacks Slack channel has people, but it's mostly Pros talking amongst themselves.

There's a Barrier only deck that has Hunter Seeker, Salems/Hatch Job, ARC lockdown (one of), and MCA Informant to deal with critic. It's *BRUTAL* in good hands.

As for buying sets: CoolStuffInc or your FLGS.

Is Chrysalis really that good to include in your deck as an extra offbrand snare plus ICE, or is it kind of underwhelming?

For what it's worth, I *love* Sapper, but never have been sold on Chrysalis in practice.
I'm thinking part of it is because the decks in which I play Sapper are about the one occurrence when it lands, while Chrysalis I would put in a deck in which I want a mass of s;qll damage to occur. And as such I don't think it's a great solution, especially since I *don't* want it to get trashed, while I don't much care if it happens to Sapper.
The other thing being, everyone has always been a lot more careful against Jinteki so chances are even if they access Chrysalis, they already have their killer out. Not as true against Weyland.

I used to run a NEXT deck with Sapper ans Chrysalis in it for double duty.

The whole point of the deck was always firing ABT, though. So...not that cool anymore.

That's a lovely one. Gonna have to try and build that.

One can only be curious what that yak related ID would be like?

In theory though if they're at the point where they can easily pay through it then it's an extra tax, and if they can't then it has a chance of going off... right? Actually, that brings up an important question: how many spare credits do runners usually pack in your experience?

NEXT ICE is so weird to me.

NEXT used to make a lot more sense. It was rush ice that became taxing ice as the game went on, which fit very well in a mid range deck.

Now it doesn't. NEXT Silver still works with that niche, but Opal and Sapphire give tempo gains that get larger as the game goes on. The problem is that they will basically never fire late game, so they're sub-par compared to architect. The only decks that would want to run them would be combo decks, where the tempo would really matter, but those decks would prefer to just go faster so paying extra credits for the NEXT premium doesn't work in those.

Gold made sense, since it started as an overpriced Grim but could outright kill the runner late game. But since non-Skorpios can't get rid of Paperclip easily and none of the remaining NEXT code gates end the run, Gold is much worse for rush decks and not taxing enough for glacier. Combo decks don't run it because its overcosted for short games. Now Diamond hasn't been released and could maybe work in a suite with Sapphire for pure glacier decks, but its still dicey.

Makes sense. I was thinking about using some NEXT to patch up some porosity in Jinteki, but I'd have to use a lot of it to get the desired effect.

Because I'm a sucker for gimmicky decks and fall into their traps all the time, I think this looks fun. Also, I've wanted Checkpoint to be good for a long time. Input always welcome. I'm known to have bad choices for ICE.

No Fucks Given (49 cards)
The Outfit: Family Owned and Operated
-- agenda (11 cards)
3 City Works Project
2 High-Risk Investment
3 Hostile Takeover
3 Illicit Sales
-- asset (12 cards)
3 Exposé
3 Illegal Arms Factory
3 NGO Front
3 Urban Renewal
-- ice (15 cards)
1 Architect
2 Bulwark
3 Checkpoint
2 Enigma
2 Ice Wall
2 Lotus Field
1 Swordsman
2 Tollbooth
-- operation (11 cards)
3 Death and Taxes
2 Economic Warfare
3 Hedge Fund
3 Preemptive Action

Attached: IMG_20180318_191936_01.png (300x418, 237K)

>not using Too Big to Fail

So the main game plan is going glacier? You might want to throw in some hunter seekers (and/or ark lockdown), since bad pub ain’t going to help if the runner don’t have the breakers.

Three Exposé and no Mills? For shame.
Also: Mushin no Shin Exposé has a beautifully stupid ring to it.

I forgot about too big...damn... And I was hemming ans hawing between Hunter Seeker and the Urban Renewals. Maybe I'll have to find space...

I love me some Mushin. But Mills didn't make the cut since advancing Exposé baits a run better and can still be sac'd after they get through all that ICE.

Idk, it’s more likely for HB to import chrysalis then for Jinteki to import the whole NEXT suite. Honestly, there are better uses of influence rather then those ice.

Seriously though, wondering about that NGO/Exposé plan of baiting runs when BP is going to finance so much of those anyway.
Similarly, Economic Warfare in a deck that's going to subsidize the runs that much? I'd go with packing more violence myself.

Another issue I could see pop up: you need to IAA you Exposé/NGOs for baiting purpose, and you're somewhat lacking in credible agenda threats for that IAA move. With Hostiles you're more likely to score on sight, Illicits you're more likely to NA, and three public agendas. Two High-Risk Investment isn't nothing, but... don't know.

I'm thinking I like Housekeeping better than Death and Taxes in that configuration. You're not going to want for cash, the card loss for the runner can be the difference between a City works scoring or a theft. And slowing the runner down while you fasten up has more value than the credits methinks. Not to mention how many of your assets you're going to self trash anyway.

No harm including it if you're looking for cheap ice and have extra slots, big difference with Snare is you don't have to pay for it to fire.

Runners usually try for atleast 10 credits leftover after the run if it's just a random poke, all or nothing runs are different though, especially with unrezzed ice.

I feel like you need a bit more ice, especially since a lot of your cards trigger runs, and a good chunk are mostly gearchecks, which could turn the server into a weakpoint late into the game. For agendas, I don't know if three Illicit Sales is worth the extra agenda point. I'd also rather three two pointers instead of two High Risks.

NEXT has been gimped since it's ID (that could be good if it was able to use ALL the NEXT ICE) rotated along with the lower-level stuff.

That and Paperclip, of course. But still. The whole idea behind NEXT's "grows stronger with more rez'd on the board" should be something that was kept (or reprinted) if they were going to bother with designing newer NEXT ICE. Otherwise they should just drop it and let rotation take them out.

I'd really like to play this game, but the amount of editions and what's legal and what isn't and the meta madness all throw me off. Am I too dumb for this?

Just play the revised core set like you would a two player board game and stay away from any communities until you're ready to dive into the deep end.

If you are referring to NEXT Design, it’s still here and not likely to rotate since it’s in a big box.