Fallout Hawaii campaign help request

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm working on a Fallout campaign set on the Hawaiian islands. Please help! I don't have a wealth of knowledge about Hawaii.

I'm hoping to create a mix of traditional elements from the setting and new stuff that would fit the location developed on the principles found during all the games.

I'm inclined to set it around the time of Fallout 2 to maie it possible to use the West Coast Enclave or their remnants/deserters, the West Coast brotherhood before Lyons goes East, and potentially even supermutants kinda like Jacob/tanker vagrants and Shi from the bay area.

I expect some Cloud Atlas style shit could go down on the islands. As far as real-life material to work with goes, I know there's the pacific naval base, the observatories, any ECHELON-style spy facilities, and all the real estate on the big island to work with, and that could all devolve to tribalism. There's also potential for there to be a pretty alien ecology affected by various FEV strains, communities that depend on radiation-absorbing plants to give them shelter, and other such possibilities.

I'd be glad to get some ideas and learn more about Hawaii if there's any sources you guys wanna recommend.

Attached: Vault_Boy.png (1600x2350, 335K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hokulea.com/
newsmax.com/newsfront/hawaii-oahu-fallout-shelters-north-korea/2017/05/02/id/787688/
fallout-nukaloha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lore
youtube.com/watch?v=6YpgOFS2-3c
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36604761/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36646467/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36742488/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The islands aren't going to be locked to the islands themselves.
hokulea.com/

I was gonna say something about Cloud Atlas, but then I saw you beat me to it.

The islanders, you mean?

China probably fucked Hawaii raw dog during the war. I'd imagine it would be more smoking crater than most of the coast.

I'd say the military presence may be a reason for China to have gone for Anchorage. As likely as it is for China to strike at Hawaii, it's possible the development of a laser defense grid there might have prevented or neutralized the attack.

Putting a RobCo prototype proving ground for the anti-missile lasers House installed in Vegas might be the only way to create a portion of Hawaii that isn't a huge crater.

Mah, Anchorage was because it was a shorter hop for land forces than the goddamn largest ocean on the planet. No, it's possible it's green again due to 280 years of time passing between nuclear fire and now. Though I think I remember the global temperature went up for a good chunk of time and caused a lot of flooding. Don't know how canon that last bit is since DC is still around so land didn't lose too much.

I’d say Hawaii would be largely spared. Despite being a vacation and navy hub in the Pacific, during MAD this target is extremely low-key. If San Francisco and Seattle are lost, Hawaii is cut-off from trade and supply. I could even say that the people on Hawaii still got nuclear fallout from China being obliterated, and the military bunkered up. Each of the islands were still connected by boats, as they were nuclear powered. Coolant would be really low, but the ships could be hobbled to take on sea water to cool the reactors. Meaning then that sailors are largely mutants from exposure. There was always a leper colony on one of the small islands. Let’s say lepers also became ghouls, and the healthy people banded into tribes around the islands.

Ghoul-run naval US military remnants is go.

Wut system?

Aloha from the big island. What you wanna know? I’m doing shit today, but will check in occasionally.
Couple things, since we had the missile scare and we actually thought pretty hard about an actual attack afterwards:
China probably wouldn’t have fucked us raw dog, they would have had to use a lot of missiles to wipe the whole island chain, and there’s plenty of the chain that would make no sense for. Military sites abound on Oahu, that island would be largely a crater on the south and west sides of the island, the center valley would probably be pretty fucked up, with the east side (the Koolau mountains) being much better off both because of far less military crap, and it’s the wet side of the island(this goes for most all the islands, wet on the east and north, dry on the south, almost actual desert on some west shores) such that there would be less radiation still blowing around over there. Honolulu city would be utterly destroyed. There’s too many military headquarters there, too many naval facilities, the biggest and best port on the islands.... about half the population of the state. No way it would survive a total war scenario.
Maui isn’t supposed to have lots of military stuff, but there are areas that are not marked on maps that are actually no go zones for civilians, rumors of missile silos over therein the North and west half of the island.
Big island has the pohakuloa training base, where we have the army striker brigades and tank training zones. It’s also a military airstrip. Surprisingly big, but not a high value missile target since it doesn’t actually House any kind of fighter squadrons or missile batteries that we are aware of. Would still probably be a target in a full force strike scenario though.
Otherwise, high value targets are just our airports and harbors. We don’t have a production capacity for any kind of large industry that isn’t agriculture.
Cont/

Our telescopes are completely civilian in nature, not that that has ever stopped fallout from turning things into secret government research projects, or maybe rob I or someone has a crazy side project there. Some of our less sophisticated thinkers in the community think that some of the observatories are actually laser turrets, and of course they are actually equipped with lasers to help with imaging precision.

Err, about the leprosy thing, yes there are still patients at the colony, but it was only six as of three years ago. But hey, again, don’t let that stop you from doing fun fallout things with it.

After the bombs fall is when things will go to shit. There are definitely factions in the islands. Most of the population would be alright still, but let me note that in the east and south of the big island there is a large population of people who hold to a different history of the islands, these were the first families to have been conquered when the islands were united under kamehameha, and they are not happy with how that happened, which was basically political maneuvering and trickery, ending with their leader being sacrificed by kamehameha (they were cousins I think...) but not before he castrated himself to spite the sacrifice. By sacrificing him after he was self neutered, kamehameha was basically offering the war god burnt toast. So, it’s super weird, but the families are bitter and insulted two ways, as they hold themselves to be the true traditionalists and more honorable than the king who ended up ruling. And the memory is still strong there, many of them are also super bitter at the whites too.
Anyways, expect the south and east of the big island to be more ‘local’ and aggressive, that’s how it is today.
On Maui it’s similar on the north, on Oahu it’s the west shore that’s like that.

I don't have any information on Hawaii but I want to say it sounds like a cool concept already

For some inspiration you should check out
It's definitely stuff written into Fallout's DNA where their version of General Electric is, of course, General Atomics.

Not exactly the T-45. Six years of work and they never did get the damn thing operational.

Attached: Hardiman-correct-view_0004-x640_medium.jpg (455x636, 92K)

How would the FEV get to the area? More secret testing sites or potential surviving remnants from the Poseidon Oil Rig? I like the idea of finding lead lined refrigerators embedded in the ground (west coast at least). The doors partly open showing shattered sample jars labelled as various strains of FEV. Later you run into a Super Mutant wearing an Indiana Jones hat and using a whip.

Bit Wild Wasteland but whatever, those were fun.

Speaking of Cloud Atlas, Old Georgie: should something like him be brought in?

Considering the Americans had several campaigns in mainland China (the Gobi Desert, the Yangtze, and the Philippines) the Hawaiian Islands likely would have been a stop along the supply route to those campaigns meanings its very militarized, and likely filled with the Biological weapons beings used in China, meaning tons of robots, mutants, and power armor.

>Disregard supermutants, acquire sharkmen
>Giant coconut crab mirelurks
>Kalaupapa, the leper colony, is Ghoul central
>Instead of yaoguai, have Mujina, large vicious mutated Badgers
>Raiders who worship Don the Beach Comber
>Groves of Kofe trees grow beans that give a jet like effect when chewed or brewed

Attached: pedro-tavares-santos-1524344-547663742007762-348877192-o.jpg (1920x1123, 303K)

>ICE is processed Kofe and jet and it's bad stuff brah
>The Nightkin version of the Sharkmen mutants should be called Kasha
>Paradise Park should be spooky
>Mutated turtles (Kappa) roam Wahiawa
>The Night Marchers are a tribe of intelligent ghouls larping as ancient Hawaiian warriors
>Ka'ena Point is supposed to be a portal between worlds do something spooky here

That also leaves it vulnerable as a nuclear target. Depending on how thorough they were there may not be much left for anyone to survive without a vault. At least shelters are still viable for the area:
newsmax.com/newsfront/hawaii-oahu-fallout-shelters-north-korea/2017/05/02/id/787688/

Given the loss of native plant life common in fallout and the subsequent deaths of animal life over such a relatively small, isolated environment, I'd recommend consideration that a GECK was deployed circa the Fallout 1 timeline at least. Maybe one each for the larger islands in the chain, that way you could have a relative island paradise still and also one where either lingering radiation or some other outside issue like FEV contagion severely compromised the GECK creating mutated nightmare world.

Hell, I wouldn't put it past Vault-Tec to test a GECK that CREATES a mutated nightmare jungle. Consider the possible threat of cross-contamination or spread of the mutated life beyond the island? Check. Consider the ethics of purposefully dooming a population in an experiment that can only be accomplished after an actual nuclear war thus intentionally murdering the survivors? Check. Yep, sounds like Vault-Tec. Actually let's modify this a tiny bit. As an experiment it's pretty pointless unless someone is able to actually observe the results, so let's say that the GECK is rigged to produce nightmare murder island and meanwhile the residents themselves remain trapped in their vault. Model their society after the Survivor tv series and have people vote residents out of the vault and then observe the results on hidden surveillance systems around the island (probably installed and maintained by Mister Handys or other robots). The ultimate test, for the Enclave at least, would be how humans can survive and adapt to a hostile mutated environment that might be created by radiation from a nuclear war.

The GECK itself could be purposefully rigged with FEV for this purpose. Lingering contamination would also net you super mutants as an unintended consequence. That way you could have survivors of the vault mutate into a cannibal super mutant tribe who eventually break into the vault and infect the others. Now you have an island of mutant flora and a tribe of head hunting super mutants who occasionally raid the other islands.

Any other appropriately Hawaiian vault themes? Geothermal powered vault attached to an underground lava flow where vault residents are sacrificed to the volcano gods?

I guess New Vegas has the whole Elvis thing but sure why not for Hawaii too? How about a vault that only serves pizza with pineapple? Jesus, that's truly hell.

That is only Canadian vaults that do that.

I'm working on pretty much the same setting but for an online forum. I'm even adding a wikia to make all the lore easier to read. Feel free to add anything from here on your campaign:

fallout-nukaloha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lore

What about the Vault whose food is tainted with experimental chemicals that turn the residents blood into maple syrup? That ones pretty fucked up buy my GOD does that Canadian long pork fry up into some delicious maple bacon.

Maybe a neoprimitive vault based on old hawaiian techniques and life styles to see how long they last without using more advanced tech.

A Vault where every meal is a pot luck luau. Every. single. meal. for. hundreds. of. fucking. years. Poor bastards.

That would need a fuckton of farmland for pigs.

Like the other guy said. Long pork, baby.

A Vault based on Most Dangerous Game.

Or how about one based on that Mahalo Rewards episode of South Park? People in the vault are randomly chosen to be TRUE NATIVES and receive cards that entitle them to all these perks. They get to be an elite force who despite the "foreigners" who aren't true vault dwellers without the card, and no doubt vice versa. Kind of a sneetches on the beaches thing only I figure bitches gonna wind up dead.

This feels relevant

Attached: Hawaii alert.png (1456x1532, 332K)

Oooookay, so a Vault where the residents are randomly (say every 5-15 years) subjected to an alarm goes off indicating that the supposedly malfunctioning door of the vault will open and expose everyone to god knows what (maybe replace with a faulty reactor supposedly venting radiation into the vault). Everyone has randomly assigned shelter areas about the size of a broom closet with heavy doors and automatic locks that will seal them in for, say, 48 hours. Also randomly the computer will pick members of the vault to assign with a family member of the opposite and sometimes same sex. In these particular emergency compartments the rations are laced with aphrodisiacs. The rooms are probably bugged so the Overseer can see everything.

The sex part sounds weird, but I do like the idea of an emergency long term survival shelter that in turn contains a number of smaller emergency shelters. It's shelters all the way down, baby.

>youtube.com/watch?v=6YpgOFS2-3c

Attached: tumblr_odksisckXa1vbfo8to1_400.jpg (400x600, 124K)

Reminds me of an old quest. Hope it gives you some inspiration.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36604761/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36646467/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36742488/

The oceans are horribly irradiated in the Fallout universe. You'd have to be a ghoul to travel on a boat.

Not really, radiation in Fallout works in a different way than it does in our world.

Their radiation sticks to surfaces and lasts for a longer time. Their sea is irradiated yes, but as long as you aren't touching it you are safe, making boat travelling a possibility.

The Chosen One from Fallout 2 and Tempenny from Fallout 3 being examples of this.